Thread: Energize Food?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Energize Food?

Today I road my Truth for the first time in several months. Boy was I out of shape and energy.

Anyone have some good food tips before a ride (no energy bars)

Thanks

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    Sorry, I don't believe there is a magic food to makeup months off the bike.

Just keep pedaling. Keep it fun. The energy will return.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog

and eat well all the time! Lean meats, fish, healthy fats, fruits, veggies, tree nuts. Da good stuff! HAVE FUN!
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    my pre ride energy food for when i am feeling run down i usually (and dont laugh) the p90x recovery drink...i mix a couple of scoops in water and down it. Doesnt make me feel like i ate a brick like powerbars...only downside is it is expensive.

uhhhhhyea
    clif bars!

Actually, I had completely bonked on a ride last weekend (only the 2nd ride of the season where I REALLY pushed myself) and had nothing in my camelbak but some "XTREME Energy" drink mix I bought at wal mart (complete with lame "xtreme" packaging). Dumped it into what was left of my water (was running out of that too). Let me tell you, there's nothing quite like citrus-flavored caffeine on an empty stomach. I wouldnt use it all the time, but it seems like a good thing to have just in case.

re member
    I bought one of those food dehydraters.

I like to make my own banana chips for ride snack food. Usually nothing on them, but occasionally I will sprinkle a little cinnamon on them for a flavor boost.

Since I don't use any kind of preservative, they come out dark and scary looking. But they taste great. I usually eat 8 or 10 chips at each rest stop for a quick boost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by split.therapy
    and eat well all the time! Lean meats, fish, healthy fats, fruits, veggies, tree nuts. Da good stuff! HAVE FUN!
    Not these nuts. http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/14071/

mtbr member

Homemade Protein Bars

I began making and having these bars for lunch when I was a student (easy to pack, cheap, etc.). After finishing school, I realized that they work great for lunches at work and for bike trips for those same reasons. I originally saw the recipe on an episode of Good Eats (Alton Brown - Food Network) but I adapted that recipe a bit to my liking. If you want something with some more sweetness (and quicker energy) you can add some chocolate or peanut butter chips. I cut mine into 15 squares and have kept them frozen for upwards of a month. For biking you can take them right from the freezer, put them into the Camelbak, and they will be ready in a few hours.

4 ounces soy protein powder, approximately 1 1/3 cup
    2 1/4 ounces oat bran, approximately 2/3 cup
    2 3/4 ounces whole-wheat flour, approximately 2/3 cup
    3/4-ounce wheat germ, approximately 1/3 cup
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
    1 (16-ounce) package soft tofu
    1/2 cup apple sauce
    4 ounces brown sugar, approximately 2/3 cup packed
    2 large whole eggs, beaten
    1 cup peanut butter
    Canola oil, for pan
    Line the bottom of a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with parchment paper and lightly coat with canola oil. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    In a large mixing bowl, combine the protein powder, oat bran, wheat flour, wheat germ, walnuts, and salt. Set aside.
    In a blender, blend the tofu until smooth. Add the apple sauce, brown sugar, eggs, and peanut butter, 1 at a time, and blend to combine after each addition. Add this to the protein powder mixture and stir well to combine. Spread evenly in the prepared baking dish and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 205 degrees F. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into squares. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to a week. Freeze to keep longer.
    Vehor vivo est!

I Rode a Metric Century!
    My doctor is an avid cyclist does like a double century every weekend, He swears by PB&J sandwich says while riding try to eat half of sandwich every hour. I tried it and it works, no cramps not tired, good fuel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog

I agree 100%

I can feel a difference if I don't bike for three weeks. Two months away and it takes me 2-3 weeks of riding to get back to the same level. Unfortunately, my down time usually consists of (not biking) sport injury recovery...so Marcus, I know what you are going through.

Ride, ride and ride some more.

BTW: I almost always eat a can of tuna-fish post ride.

im4Gsus
    x2 on pb&j with a banana ~1 hr b4 the ride.

oatmeal (with milk and protein powder, not water) is also gr8.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have heard the a banana an hour or so before and then burning a quick just before you clip in is the way to go.

mtbr member
    pb&j - always does me right.