Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Eco Terrorist get's 25 days for attempted murder of mountain biker

5K views 44 replies 27 participants last post by  Sasquatch 
#1 ·
The Sierra Club must be proud, one of their own wrote a book on how to make these death traps. I don't know if this story was ever posted, but here are the results.

August 4, 2004

Placitas, New Mexico - A Placitas man has been sentenced to 25 days in prison for stringing thin steel cable across a Cibola National Forest trail near Placitas.

Michael L. Delongchamp also was fined $4,100 and ordered to perform 150 hours of community service in Tuesday’s sentencing. He also will be under supervised release for two years.

Delongchamp pleaded guilty in May to stringing the cable, which injured a mountain biker. He says his action was a huge mistake.

US District Judge Christina Armijo says she took into account the dozens of letters written on Delongchamp’s behalf, his lack of a prior criminal background and his history of community service in her sentencing.

Chris Casey of Placitas was injured after he slammed into one of the cables.

See less See more
#9 ·
I've got an idea

SMOKEY said:
geez! whats this world coming to?! better watch out for those bamboo tiger traps on the trail.
Let's get his address and everybody sign him up for every conceivable magazine subscription marked "bill me later"
He'll die under the crush of collection agency notes. That would be fair, right?
I'm going to start with "Quilting News and Opra" He ought to LOVE those.
What an a$$. I hope he gets the crap kicked out of him.

#10 ·
This is recycled news....

YuriB said:
Two thoughts
1) Civil Court - the mtbr should sue the phuck outta that guy
2) How does the Sierra Club figure in?
There have been a few posts in passion on this in the past year, but good to see that Mr. Delongchamp's name continues to be mentioned in this light.

As for the Sierra Club connection, he was a member of that group and also of NMWild.org as simple google searches turned up his name on lists. (I am not sure if he is still on those lists, and they might have sanitized any connection with him)

The more significant news however was that he used to be a behaviorial scientist at BHRCS.org and several people wrote in to indicate their displeasure at his employment there.....so they fired him (actually "accepted" his resignation). Good to see they realized how someone like this certainly could not work for that company.

#11 ·
Sierra Club is so misguided

sharetrails_org said:
The Sierra Club must be proud, one of their own wrote a book on how to make these death traps. I don't know if this story was ever posted, but here are the results.

August 4, 2004

Placitas, New Mexico - A Placitas man has been sentenced to 25 days in prison for stringing thin steel cable across a Cibola National Forest trail near Placitas.

Michael L. Delongchamp also was fined $4,100 and ordered to perform 150 hours of community service in Tuesday's sentencing. He also will be under supervised release for two years.

Delongchamp pleaded guilty in May to stringing the cable, which injured a mountain biker. He says his action was a huge mistake.

US District Judge Christina Armijo says she took into account the dozens of letters written on Delongchamp's behalf, his lack of a prior criminal background and his history of community service in her sentencing.

The greatest threat to our environment is not a mountain biker! The greatest threat to our environment is urban sprawl. I would like to find that little fur faced, unemployed, stinky Sierra Club member and bust his skinny arse.

Jaybo

#12 ·
A bit of common sense, please...

Jaybo said:
The greatest threat to our environment is not a mountain biker! The greatest threat to our environment is urban sprawl. I would like to find that little fur faced, unemployed, stinky Sierra Club member and bust his skinny arse.

Jaybo
In the interest of being fair, I think it's important to point out that just because someone is a member of an organization doesn't mean that they represent that organization.

A member of a church who commits a crime doesn't do so on behalf of their church. I member of IMBA or MTBAccess doesn't poach on behalf of either organization.

In this case, the guy is a loon. He may have tried to link himself with the SC but I assure you that the SC would never condone this type of behavior. I'm not suggesting that SC local or regional leaders aren't out there, but you find these types of people in all organizations, clubs or causes; including mountain biking.

So before we start off on the SC is evil because this guy is a SC member and therefor, represents the SC, let's try to remember to be at least a little bit rational in our comments.

Ken

#13 ·
grover said:
Let's get his address and everybody sign him up for every conceivable magazine subscription marked "bill me later"
He'll die under the crush of collection agency notes. That would be fair, right?
I'm going to start with "Quilting News and Opra" He ought to LOVE those.
What an a$$. I hope he gets the crap kicked out of him.
sounds good, I got "prison mates digest" and "Toilet Bowl monthly" for him.

#14 ·
Terrorists who commit pre-meditated attempted murder

resulting in an injured party know that upon conviction they may spend up to 25 days in prison. This may not be a deterrent. The Judge is a Bush appointee imagine if a Clinton appointee, 25 days in a resort on Padre Island.

There is no justice SYSTEM. There is no Law. An aggressive judiciary has replaced Justice and Law with a hodge podge of personal quirk and idiosyncrasy. But even for this system, US District Judge Christina Armijo has got to be an embarrassment.

sharetrails_org said:

August 4, 2004

Michael L. Delongchamp also was fined $4,100 and ordered to perform 150 hours of community service in Tuesday's sentencing. He also will be under supervised release for two years.

US District Judge Christina Armijo says she took into account the dozens of letters written on Delongchamp's behalf, his lack of a prior criminal background and his history of community service in her sentencing.

#15 ·
Jaybo said:
The greatest threat to our environment is not a mountain biker! The greatest threat to our environment is urban sprawl.

Jaybo
you said it, you get it.... whats holding everyone else back? not everyone rides the short yellow bus. I vote Jaybo for congress.

#16 ·
proof great minds think alike

years ago I was involved in an altercation with a ******* motorist while road cycling. In addition to the substantial amount of cash he ended up paying me (I dropped the charges that would have sent him to jail for months) he ended up subscribing to probably around 100 magazines, including every cycling magazine in existence.

#17 ·
Jaybo said:

Jaybo
Actually, the greatest threat to our environment is large-scale internation warfare over depleting energy, food, and water resources. Keep your eyes open for this within about the next....say 30-50 years?

#19 ·
I'll sign him up for some magazines and newspapers. What is his address? I hear New York Times subscriptions are expensive.

Crazy...what a slap on the wrist.

Yeah...something that causes slightly more trail erosion than hiking is worth maiming somebody over :rolleyes:

#22 ·
There is no place for a comment like that here

SMOKEY said:
one can only hope that his cell mate is some big black guy named nasty nate and he's getting a first hand taste of nast nates naughty jungle of love. :D
No need to use a racial stereotype as a poor attempt at humor. I'm mean, if you want to bring race into this, then I can only asume that by YOUR comment, that you see there is no problem with being raped by a WHITE cellmate. Somehow only "big black" cellmetes give you the woolies. (Obviously this is in jest at your comment.)

I'm sure you didn't mean to come off that way, and understand your attempt at to bring humor in this discussion, but again there is no need to ever bring race into an issue such as this. It only offends others.

So take a deep breath, and make another joke (albeit appropriate) about Mr. Delongchamp.....

#23 ·
Timo said:
No need to use a racial stereotype as a poor attempt at humor. I'm mean, if you want to bring race into this, then I can only asume that by YOUR comment, that you see there is no problem with being raped by a WHITE cellmate. Somehow only "big black" cellmetes give you the woolies. (Obviously this is in jest at your comment.)

I'm sure you didn't mean to come off that way, and understand your attempt at to bring humor in this discussion, but again there is no need to ever bring race into an issue such as this. It only offends others.

So take a deep breath, and make another joke (albeit appropriate) about Mr. Delongchamp.....
LOL.. wow. I guess you never saw HALF BAKED? :D and you're right it was a joke....perhaps a little bit inappropriate. I have delt with racial stereotypes before on this site, search and I think you will see where I stand.

as far as humor goes, people usually only laugh at something that they can relate to having some truth.
( The word <-big->... In prison most inmates need to work out in order to grow big and strong so they can prevent someone who is bigger and stronger than them from forcing them to "toss their salad." truth. The word <-black->... theres nothing I can do to decrease the number of black men in jail, and unfortunately blacks and browns are the majority in prison sytems in the us. Truth.) HALF BAKED was my inspiration for my comment and somehow I don't think it would have been as funny if I said "big ASIAN guy" named nasty ngyuen.......(wait a minute, there's no asians in prison!) :eek: :D :rolleyes:

#24 ·
sharetrails_org said:

August 4, 2004

Michael L. Delongchamp also was fined $4,100 and ordered to perform 150 hours of community service in Tuesday’s sentencing. He also will be under supervised release for two years.

US District Judge Christina Armijo says she took into account the dozens of letters written on Delongchamp’s behalf, his lack of a prior criminal background and his history of community service in her sentencing.

What fawcking community service??!! Stringing more wire across other trails to protect against us bikers or burning down more eco-unfriendly homes not to mention blowing up gas-guzzling SUV's?? To be honest, I'd pay to have that guy NOT doing any community service.

#25 ·
Timo said:

I hope this makes you feel a little better.
one can only hope that his cell mate is some guy named nasty Clark and he's getting a first hand taste of nasty clarks naughty jungle of love.

Attachments

#26 ·
Yeah, I agree.

I don't really see what the Sierra Club has to do with this. I am sure that if I went around to every person who is in jail for murder, that I would find at least one that is a cyclist.

Kapusta

Ken in KC said:
In the interest of being fair, I think it's important to point out that just because someone is a member of an organization doesn't mean that they represent that organization.

A member of a church who commits a crime doesn't do so on behalf of their church. I member of IMBA or MTBAccess doesn't poach on behalf of either organization.

In this case, the guy is a loon. He may have tried to link himself with the SC but I assure you that the SC would never condone this type of behavior. I'm not suggesting that SC local or regional leaders aren't out there, but you find these types of people in all organizations, clubs or causes; including mountain biking.

So before we start off on the SC is evil because this guy is a SC member and therefor, represents the SC, let's try to remember to be at least a little bit rational in our comments.

Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.