Don't worry, be happy!

Easy Road Trip Advocacy (x posted)

(originally posted in Trail Work/Advocacy)

I was on a road trip in BC this week and hit all the Revelstoke classics and some new trails in New Denver. At the campground, we hooked up with a friendly bunch who are working on trails in their neighborhoods. One of the Revelstoke locals commented that the Keystone access road is just a logging road that could be decommissioned any time.

Long story short, one of the gals said that when she is on a road trip, she always writes the chamber of commerce to let them know she enjoyed the visit to the trail system and that she spent money on accommodations, groceries and shopping, etc. The emphasis being to let the community know what trail systems bring in. We all joked about buying ice and campground permits (as we were drinking cold ones on the beach at our campsite) but the principle is correct whether you are buying groceries or a four star dinner. We all know that getting the idea across that MTB tourism is good for a community can be a tough sell sometimes. It will also increase support for a trail system that might otherwise not get it.

I emailed the local Chamber when I got home. Took about 30 seconds to let them know I enjoyed the trails and spent some money.

Just an idea.

That's a great idea, especially when you have places that the local chamber does not recognize mt biking as a significant tourist draw.

My local club occasionally works with state and local tourism agencies to promote mt biking. The current statewide tourism campaign includes mountain biking, even though the theme is kinda hokey. The video includes club members, a couple of shop owners/employees, and my boss' cabin property that is included in a big mtb festival every year.

It has taken awhile for the statewide tourism agency to catch on to mtb tourism, but we're glad they finally did.