Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Kearsarge crawler
    Reputation: minkhiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,876

    Drying out in NH

    The trails are drying fast here in the Northeast. Today was my first singletrack ride of the year and I only hit a few damp spots on the trails that I rode. This is Bear Brook State Park in central New Hampshire. Please excuse the quality of the pics, cheap camera's and poor photographers don't mix.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

  2. #2
    beer thief
    Reputation: radair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    3,547
    Hey, me too. I love those trails along the stream at BB, nice.

    What a difference a week makes. There's still piles of ice on the shady trails, but totally rideable. I had an outstanding ride today; no pics tho.

  3. #3
    Kearsarge crawler
    Reputation: minkhiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,876
    Quote Originally Posted by radair
    Hey, me too. I love those trails along the stream at BB, nice.

    What a difference a week makes. There's still piles of ice on the shady trails, but totally rideable. I had an outstanding ride today; no pics tho.
    Glad to hear the north is drying also. The class six road at my house is still super wet, it's only 30 min to Bear Brook so there will be some traveling for a week or so. It will be good to catch up to you at Pawtuckaway.

    Glenn
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

  4. #4
    Sublime Absurdity
    Reputation: sodade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    741
    Yeah, I went to Beaver Brook yesterday. It was mostly dry, with a few mudbogs and stream crossings. I tell you, coming from California, the riding here can be way harder. I went up Elkins rd, which is basically a huge rock garden. Climbing uphill through rocks is hard because you really have to keep your momentum going or the rocks with make you stop dead. You can't use the granny gear at all...

    So, I am bombing down hill and I see a vine stretching out into the trail right in my line. I am going to hit it and I know it is going to whip me - no problem as I kind of like the S&M aspect of MTB. At the last minute I realize that it is covered with fat thorns. I jam on the brakes like they were cantis, but no - they are my new discs. oops - I did a full on over the bars flip on to my back - ouch - first time I have done one of those!
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,659
    Great place to ride. Didn't know they were open yet.

  6. #6
    Kearsarge crawler
    Reputation: minkhiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,876
    Quote Originally Posted by fredł
    Great place to ride. Didn't know they were open yet.
    There are no trail postings there unlike Clough State Park in Dunbarton which is usually posted till sometime in May I think.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,659

    Actually they prefer...

    Quote Originally Posted by minkhiller
    There are no trail postings there unlike Clough State Park in Dunbarton which is usually posted till sometime in May I think.
    you don't ride the trails till they say it's okay. I've called before in the spring and it's true that they don't post trail closures, but if you call they'll let you know. Unless you're one the trail maintenance crew. I just wouldn't want to see the trails get too bunged up and then they close it to mtn bikers. It's always better to check first.

  8. #8
    Kearsarge crawler
    Reputation: minkhiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,876
    Quote Originally Posted by fredł
    you don't ride the trails till they say it's okay. I've called before in the spring and it's true that they don't post trail closures, but if you call they'll let you know. Unless you're one the trail maintenance crew. I just wouldn't want to see the trails get too bunged up and then they close it to mtn bikers. It's always better to check first.
    Boy I sure hope it was ok there were a bunch of riders out there and horses are using the trails also. If it was wet I would not have been on the trails.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

Similar Threads

  1. palmer park today the park is drying good
    By sprocket in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 10:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •