Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004

Drinking from the water bottle

I bought a used Tomac Taos last week and the bike came with a water bottle holder. Instead of filling up my hydro pack, I used a water bottle.

When I got to the trails, I soon realised why I no longer use water bottle when trail riding. I was having trouble when I tried to drink. It has been a long time since I have a bottle cage on my mountain bike. I switched to my first camelpak in the mid 90's and never looked back. It is so easy to drink from a tube.

I will probably take that cage off and reinstall it on my 'cross bike next spring.

Terrain Sculptor
    I use my water bottle as an excuse to stop for a breather.

mtbr member
    I use the water bottle for recovery drink on long rides and water to pour on my head on really hot rides.

nobody
    I'll pick bottles over hydration pack when it's cool enough here (in PHX) to ride without one. Not having all that weight on my back makes a big difference.
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

LA CHÈVRE
    I stopped using hydration packs after a few years of using them. I feel better without a heavy sweat generating/retaining thing on my back. You just need to drink from bottles at the right time, not in the middle of a nasty rock garden. But it doesn't really matter, just use what you like.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja
    I use my water bottle as an excuse to stop for a breather.
    Espeically when you are riding in a group. haha.

Y no grease?ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
    Water bottles are good for a firm stream of water (vs weak dribbling from bite valve) to clean out all the grit from your freshly rashed shins
    Climbing ain't easy
    when you're fat and greasy
    - 2 Bigsteve

Tigers love pepper...
    quick after work ride = bottle
    anything longer = camelbak

I hate messing with my camelbak for quick rides.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    (Regular screw cap) Water bottle in the backpack. Its the worst of both worlds.
    I used to use a camelback, but got sick of dealing with the bladder when I wouldnt properly maintain it after a ride and it would get moldy. Plus I always found them to be a little awkward on the back, a great system for those who like them though.

AZ
    banned
    Water bottles for squirting dogs .

My spelling is atroshus
    I use both hydro pack and a water bottle no matter what the outside temperatures are. I sweat heavily and find that I can easily drink three liters of water on a ride, and that's even if I am well hydrated before leaving for the ride.

I must be doing something wrong.

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi
    quick after work ride = bottle
    anything longer = camelbak

I hate messing with my camelbak for quick rides.
    thats what i do
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    If i use a water bottle this is the only way to go. http://www.backcountry.com/camelbak-...er-bottle-21oz

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Bottles are all well and good unless your trails are shared with horses

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Bottle user only.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RLK
    or cows

Terrain Sculptor
    There's something peeing on every trail you ride.

Unpredictable
    My bottle cage ie below the downtube, so not readily accessible. However it is fine for cruisy rides on track and street, stops the frame getting belted by rocks and I use it for rehydration mixture and keep water in the hydration pack.

Seems like I am alone in leaving the hydration pack filled with whatever is left after a ride and then aggressively flushing it out before the next ride. I make sure there is no air in there at all and clean the hose out as part of the clearing air process concentrating on the bite piece. No mold, infection or other issue over the years and it is >20 degrees C here even on Winter days.

Retro on Steroids
    Hydration packs cover up my classic jerseys. They get funkier than water bottles.

I have two cages on every bike, sometimes an extra bottle in my jersey pocket.. YMMV

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzardpapa
    I bought a used Tomac Taos

They named a bike after my home town?? cool.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I take the bladder out of my camelback after each ride and store it in the freezer. I've never had a problem with mold or anything growing inside the bladder.

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    There's something peeing on every trail you ride.
    Pee is one thing....and not something that I worry about. Animal ***** is an entirely different matter that can make you quite ill for a few days.

MTB B'dos
    Exactamundo No real issue using a water bottle while riding trails, just don't try to drink from it when on tech or real rough stuff

Quote Originally Posted by tshulthise
    I use the water bottle for recovery drink on long rides and water to pour on my head on really hot rides.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise
    Seems like I am alone in leaving the hydration pack filled with whatever is left after a ride and then aggressively flushing it out before the next ride. I make sure there is no air in there at all and clean the hose out as part of the clearing air process concentrating on the bite piece. No mold, infection or other issue over the years and it is >20 degrees C here even on Winter days.
    Your not alone. That's pretty much what I do. I'll usually just wipe the bladder out quickly before refilling it. I occasionally have to clean the tube and bite valve out with one of those hose cleaning brushes, but it's not very often.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tshulthise

THIS

mtbr member
    Dumb question but one I wonder about...

Those who don't use camel paks, where do you keep your tools, etc.? I know they make little packs that attach to various parts of a frame or under your saddle. But I have a pump and tube (despite running tubeless), multi tool, cell phone to run cardio trainer & in case of emergencies, gloves (that I don't always wear), shades that I sometimes want to ditch, etc. Where do all put all this crap with no camel pak??

My spelling is atroshus
    Pee is one thing....and not something that I worry about. Animal ***** is an entirely different matter that can make you quite ill for a few days.

....So, I am guessing that you had better hope like crazy that a bear or a squirrel hasn't pooped on your trail?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RBowles
    ....So, I am guessing that you had better hope like crazy that a bear or a squirrel hasn't pooped on your trail?

Or Sasquatch .

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Pack with water on my back. Every ride without fail. It also carries all the stuff Mike asked aobut, pump, tube, food, phone, keys, etc. On a long ride I will add a bottle of electrolyte stuff to the bike.

mtbr member
    The only problem I've had with water bottles is them falling out of the cage when I start riding crazy shiz!!

mtbr member
    I have come to dispise camelbacks. Only bottles for me, unless it is a very long ride with no access to water.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

Terrain Sculptor
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Or Sasquatch .
    Hey!!!!

Seriously, bottle only guys, where do you store your tools, tubes, pump, saw etc.

mtbr member
    Hey!!!!

Seriously, bottle only guys, where do you store your tools, tubes, pump, saw etc.
    Been using fanny packs for years! The ones for off road racing.

Some even have water bottles too.

AZ
    banned
    Hey!!!!

Seat wedge .

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey!!!!

Two Words. Awesome Strap. Best thing since sliced bread. Holds everything nice and tight. I used one during the Shenandoah 100 and did not loose a thing, and those downhills were rough and rocky. Keys and wallet go in the jersey pocket.

http://www.backcountryresearch.com/t...axx=300&maxy=0

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    Dumb question but one I wonder about...

Those who don't use camel paks, where do you keep your tools, etc.? I know they make little packs that attach to various parts of a frame or under your saddle. But I have a pump and tube (despite running tubeless), multi tool, cell phone to run cardio trainer & in case of emergencies, gloves (that I don't always wear), shades that I sometimes want to ditch, etc. Where do all put all this crap with no camel pak??
    When I ride without my camelpak, like on the road, I use the jersey pockets.

mtbr member
    I still use both while urban riding depending on where I'm going and the weather. I stick to the Camelbak on trails because it's just plain easier while riding.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

mtbr member
    This brings up a good point, can you actually get sick from a moldy hydration pack? I have let mine get pretty funky, and knock on wood, never got sick.

Terrain Sculptor
    So can pee.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lamb
    This brings up a good point, can you actually get sick from a moldy hydration pack?

Yes .

My spelling is atroshus
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Or Sasquatch .
    I coulda' swore I saw bigfoot droppings on the trail this evening.

Retro on Steroids
    Saddle wedge, jersey pockets, 5 or 6 pockets in the cargo shorts I wear over my bibs.

I have never needed a saw on a ride, or a hammer either.

mtbr member
    You can still use a camelback for squirting dogs and cleaning wounds. Just inflate and aim. Not as precise, but gets the job done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Water bottles are great for carrying tool and a tube. less weight on your back = less weight on your butt.

Terrain Sculptor
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider
    Saddle wedge, jersey pockets, 5 or 6 pockets in the cargo shorts I wear over my bibs.

I have never needed a saw on a ride, or a hammer either.
    A saw is almost a necessity here (Vancouver Island) A lot of people carry them. We get a lot of trees blow down. You see a tree down, you cut it out. The saw isn't so much for you because you had to stop anyway. It's for the next guy.

There's kind of a competition like with cell phones. Who's got the smallest saw that will actually work.

mtbr member
    Hydration pack offroad, bottles onroad. It's wet a lot here and I got sick of cleaning the mud from the mouth/squirt valve of the bottle every time I wanted to drink. Animal feces has a lot of bacteria and parasites, I'd rather not take my chances.

mtbr member
    Wingnut Hydration Packs are designed for MTBers you should check them out. We share our local trails with horses and the bottle can get pretty cruddy, I prefer using a bottle but having to wipe it offer every time before drinking gets to be a hassle. On short rides I sometimes just stick a small bottle in my jersey pocket, I've often thought someone should come up with a light vest with a small bladder pocket built in, but that might be over thinking the problem.
    Happy Trails
    Jolly

Members who have read this thread: 0