Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Drinkin and ridin

Anybody ever drink and ride? Its very fun to do, especially if youre with a group that is all hossed too. I havent really noticed a performanace decline, but I did notice that I attempt a lot more stupid s***, as is expected I guess. Share your stories with me guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

haha....

Never for me!!, I've put way too much time and money into my bike to end up doing something stupid or something I wouldn't do anyother time just because of the booze. I couple of my friends like to smoke pot while we ride but that's about as close as the people I ride with get.

Kearsarge crawler
    Clean and sober...always.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

Ont-Trail-Rider

never

Well riding while under the influence is probably a dumb choice on your behalf. I know here in Ontario bicycles are considered vehicles. There for cyclist must abide by all rules of the road. So if you were to smoke a pedestrian one day, you could land your self in a pile of trouble. Maybe this is different where you live… However it just seams like a really irresponsible thing to do. And your not going to notice a performance decline because your tanked. I am sure most people who get in serious car accidents who thought they were ok to drive after being drunk thought they could drive just as well also.
    Cheers!

mtbr member

Drinking? . . . absolutely not

hey man,
    Are you kidding? That sounds incredibley dangerous. Especially with some of the trails I ride here in the mountains; narrow singletrack on a mountain side with a long way down if you go off the edge. Smoking a little herb at the top, however, now thats a different story. Just make sure it is high quality stuff that wont make you tired. I swear I have had some zen-like downhills while a little fuzzed out. I don't know why it helps, but it just does. -t

mtbr member
    In AZ, it's also illegal to drink and ride. Cyclist must abide by the exact same laws motorist do, at least on the road they do.

On the trail, whatever floats your boat drink.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua_msu@hotmail.com
    ...I havent really noticed a performanace decline, but I did notice that I attempt a lot more stupid s***, as is expected I guess....
    That's what all intoxicated people think--that there coordination is ok--because the intoxication mutes the sense of the lack of it. I have ridden on trail intoxicated and I did notice my reaction time was diminished greatly. I felt like I was really likely to crash. The only positive of my experience was that I going home on an lightly used trail was on my bike and not driving!!!!

It's not a good idea to drink and ride.

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/city_...730452,00.html
    Last edited by lidarman; 03-25-2004 at 04:29 PM.

Flowtronic engineer
    "The law doesn't apply to city bike paths."

Damn straight, swervy Creek Path style is the only way to go. But you definitely need a light and gotta coast, speed kills on that thing. Post-Sports Garage-Social-Ride-Rio sessions had me wobbling down the creek path many times during my Boulder salad days.
    I really identify with you...SO MUCH.

"Feelin stupid? I know I am."
    "You just have to forget everything you know about gravity."
    H. Simpson

mtbr member
    Oct 2003

Young and dumb

I did it a few times when I was young and dumb. There was this one time some friends and I were out tooling around bottles full of MadDog 20/20. That was some godawful s#!t, but it served its purpose. Any way, on this occasion we were hammering full tilt down a residential street when I became preoccupied with some rednecks working on their world of outlaws sprint car. In an instant all I could feel was throbbing from my face and fingers combined with the steely cold feeling of the sheet metal on a cool spring evening. As soon as I was remotely aware the first thought that went through my head was that I had been hit. I scrambled up only to see that I had run directly into the back of a parked car.

OH SMACK, those red necks were laughing there collective asses off. As I pulled my bike up to examine for damage I realized I had knocked the bumper off the car. Thats right, the drivers side of the bumper was setting on the ground. I got back on that paramount 70 xt 7spd thumb shifters and all and high tailed it out of there. That is my one and only hit and run of my entire life and if any one asks I will deny it.

I had a first generation suspension fork on that bike that was made by Trek. It was actually air oil but that thing was terrible and it must have weighed as much as the steel frame. The fork held up great through the crash. I thhink it flexed as much side to side and for and aft as up and down.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Anybody ever drink and ride? Its very fun to do, especially if youre with a group that is all hossed too. I havent really noticed a performanace decline, but I did notice that I attempt a lot more stupid s***, as is expected I guess. Share your stories with me guys.

I don't get drunk when I ride but there is one local ride where tradition has it that you have a beer at the top of the climb at the "beer bench" before you descend some bumpy fun singletrack. I really look forward to that break and at that point in the ride my body will take any carbs it gets.

Can't even drive a car if I smoke anything, so tokin on the trail for me is a no. Can't imagine how people do it.

what a joke

well

We nearly always have one or three at the end of a ride. Never tried before the ride though, things could get out of hand quick Just take it easy.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    I guess i should have stated that I do it on private property. I do agree it can be dangerous to yourself and others as well, you just gotta watch yourself.

mtbr member

Oohhhh

I drink to ride, no I ride to drink,
    Oh I'm a drunk with a riding problem.

PeAcE
    cRAzY ANdY

mtbr member

Here's my take...

Never rode on trails under the influence but I have ridden around town after having a few. Never fall-down drunk, but I've been pretty buzzed a couple times and certainly beyond the legal limit.

Sure it's probably not a good idea, but there's no such thing as reliable public transportation where I live and my house is little more than a mile from any one of the two or three watering holes in this small city.

Personally I'm more nervous about dodging all the idjits that are hopping in their cars for the ride home after last call, than I am about falling over due to my own inebriation. My townie/alll-arounder is a fixed-gear even. I figure if I'm *that* far gone it's not really all that far to walk...

<rant>
    As far as bicycle DUIs carrying the same penalties as auto DUIs, that's bulllsh*t. The whole point of hefty penalties for DUIs is that you're a danger to others, and you should be heavily penalized for putting other people's lives at risk due to your actions. You're not much of a danger to anyone but yourself while on a bike and penalizing you for actions that only endanger yourself is, IMHO, stupid.
    </rant>

-Trevor

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    I scrambled up only to see that I had run directly into the back of a parked car.
    OH SMACK, those red necks were laughing there collective asses off.

Hahahaha, great story... I don't ever drink and ride on the trail, but I have ridden home from the bar before. Good story from me a couple of years back (much like above).

Was visiting a friend up at University of Michigan in ann arbor, we decided to hit the bars that night and decided to do it on bikes. UM has a pretty fun campus to ride on anyways, but during the trip from bar #2 to bar #3 I made a bad decision. As we were approaching the front of the bar I did a big ol' bunny hop down off the curb into the street upon which the bar sits. Thanks to booze (or the bike gods having a good sense of humor) I grabbed a fistful of front brake in mid-air. I have NO clue why I did this. I didn't need any brakes. But there it was. And I stacked HARD on street right in front of the bar's picture window, and the bike came to rest on top of me. I gouged my thumb a bit and smashed in the face of my favorite watch, but was otherwise alright so up I got. I was greeted by MANY amused and concerned faces looking out the window at me. After locking the bikes and entering the bar, I was greeted to a round of applause from several tables. Needless to say I felt quite sheepish.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cRasHmAstER
    I drink to ride, no I ride to drink,
    Oh I'm a drunk with a riding problem.

PeAcE
    cRAzY ANdY
    Crazy andy, starter of the beer bench tradition

BLS439
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal
    Never rode on trails under the influence but I have ridden around town after having a few. Never fall-down drunk, but I've been pretty buzzed a couple times and certainly beyond the legal limit.

Sure it's probably not a good idea, but there's no such thing as reliable public transportation where I live and my house is little more than a mile from any one of the two or three watering holes in this small city.

Personally I'm more nervous about dodging all the idjits that are hopping in their cars for the ride home after last call, than I am about falling over due to my own inebriation. My townie/alll-arounder is a fixed-gear even. I figure if I'm *that* far gone it's not really all that far to walk...

<rant>
    As far as bicycle DUIs carrying the same penalties as auto DUIs, that's bulllsh*t. The whole point of hefty penalties for DUIs is that you're a danger to others, and you should be heavily penalized for putting other people's lives at risk due to your actions. You're not much of a danger to anyone but yourself while on a bike and penalizing you for actions that only endanger yourself is, IMHO, stupid.
    </rant>

-Trevor
    Trevor (this is not an attack against you), I usually agree with you but your rant is kind of off a bit. When you are DUI on a bike, you might run into a car or person. They may not be physically hurt, but with all of the frivilous lawsuits out there now a days, they may get you for some kind of mental distress caused by experiencing the collision. DUI's always effect more than just the DUI operator of the vehicle. If you can't operate a bike legally, what makes anyone think you can operate a vehicle legally...in Cali they are considered the same.

just my .02.

--BLS439

user-created
    I drink and ride all the time, especially for big hit or urban rides. If I'm doing a shuttle or lift, I definetly pounds beers between runs.

Not to get sloppy of course, but rather to stay loose. When you're riding you body is motabalizing everything too fast to get *drunk* anyway.

For longer rides, I usually shove a pounder in my camelback for lunch time. When you crack a beer at the top of a 15 mile climb, suddenly everbody wants a sip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Please continue to do so.

Darwin lives.

I am the owl
    Post this on the single speed board and the answers will probably be way different. Not that I know anything about that...
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

We get titles?

upNdown

I tried it once. Worst ride I ever had. I found my circulatory system (heart and lungs) didn't seem to work very well when I was tanked. I wouldn't recommend anybody try to ride drunk. Aside from the difficulties I experienced, its dangerous for you and anybody else unlucky enough to get in your way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Crack Pipe'n & Trail Ride'n

Forget not the Hippie Lettuce on the trail,
    the one who rides hardest will prevail.

But drink some brew from the bottom of the barrel,
    and watch that singletrack with others on the trail.

I, myself, so black and blue, legs bleeding and broken bones too,
    would rather smoke my carbon fiber titianium crack pipe,
    than drink beer burn blunts and ride at night.
    Manifest plainness,
    Embrace simplicity,
    Reduce selfishness,
    Have few desires.

--Lao-tzu

Witty McWitterson
    Wow. Buncha prudes in here...Not that I do it all the time, but there are times and rides where its encouraged(ss rallys primarily, sometimes that last lap or two on an endurance race). Of course I feel the effects too. Sometimes I compensate by doing dumb shiite, sometimes, I just cruise along. Riderx is right though, sser's are much more likely to have a beer or two in the course of a ride than 'normal' riders. Lighten up folks.
    Just a regular guy.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

road and trail drunks

my old road club used to do an annual pub crawl in which we'd ride from bar to bar on a 70-some mile loop. I recall suffering mightly into a stiff headwind on the final leg after about a dozen Molson export ales.
    Back east I used to do long -- 100 to 150 mile --road training rides with some track pros who like me, raced at TTown velodrome. Instead of rolling into 7-Elevens for refueling, the group would invariably stop at a bar, where each pro would consume a snickers or two along with a shot and a beer, then continue on our way.
    couple weekends ago, I rode the Kinsey Trail in Farmington NM with some friends, one of whom brought along his friend, who couldn't drive his own truck because he's already had a few beers that a.m. and so couldn't blow into his court-mandated ignition lockout every 15 minutes enroute. Every time we stopped during the ride, he pulled another Keystone Light can out of his pack and consumed it. At least 4 during the ride by my count. But wait, it gets better. He'd also pull out another Swisher Sweet and puff away on that. If it wasn't done by the time we saddled up, he'd ride along, puffing on his cigar. Considering he bought his Schwinn hardtail as transportation when he lost his license, and that he'd never ridden singletrack before, he actually did pretty well, mostly keeping up with no crashes and a minimum of walking on climbs.

Probably drunk right now

This never happens in the Midwest...

Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Wow. Buncha prudes in here...Not that I do it all the time, but there are times and rides where its encouraged(ss rallys primarily, sometimes that last lap or two on an endurance race). Of course I feel the effects too. Sometimes I compensate by doing dumb shiite, sometimes, I just cruise along. Riderx is right though, sser's are much more likely to have a beer or two in the course of a ride than 'normal' riders. Lighten up folks.
    Drinking and riding? Wouldn't that be dangerous? Well... danger is my business...... name the movie.

Also, check out last Friday's tea party as told by the upstanding gentlemen at Single Speed Outlaw:

http://www.singlespeedoutlaw.com/issue5/blog.shtml

Ken

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast