Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Drinkin and ridin

Anybody ever drink and ride? Its very fun to do, especially if youre with a group that is all hossed too. I havent really noticed a performanace decline, but I did notice that I attempt a lot more stupid s***, as is expected I guess. Share your stories with me guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

haha....

Never for me!!, I've put way too much time and money into my bike to end up doing something stupid or something I wouldn't do anyother time just because of the booze. I couple of my friends like to smoke pot while we ride but that's about as close as the people I ride with get.

Kearsarge crawler
    Clean and sober...always.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

Ont-Trail-Rider

never

Well riding while under the influence is probably a dumb choice on your behalf. I know here in Ontario bicycles are considered vehicles. There for cyclist must abide by all rules of the road. So if you were to smoke a pedestrian one day, you could land your self in a pile of trouble. Maybe this is different where you live… However it just seams like a really irresponsible thing to do. And your not going to notice a performance decline because your tanked. I am sure most people who get in serious car accidents who thought they were ok to drive after being drunk thought they could drive just as well also.
    Cheers!

mtbr member

Drinking? . . . absolutely not

hey man,
    Are you kidding? That sounds incredibley dangerous. Especially with some of the trails I ride here in the mountains; narrow singletrack on a mountain side with a long way down if you go off the edge. Smoking a little herb at the top, however, now thats a different story. Just make sure it is high quality stuff that wont make you tired. I swear I have had some zen-like downhills while a little fuzzed out. I don't know why it helps, but it just does. -t

mtbr member
    In AZ, it's also illegal to drink and ride. Cyclist must abide by the exact same laws motorist do, at least on the road they do.

On the trail, whatever floats your boat drink.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua_msu@hotmail.com
    ...I havent really noticed a performanace decline, but I did notice that I attempt a lot more stupid s***, as is expected I guess....
    That's what all intoxicated people think--that there coordination is ok--because the intoxication mutes the sense of the lack of it. I have ridden on trail intoxicated and I did notice my reaction time was diminished greatly. I felt like I was really likely to crash. The only positive of my experience was that I going home on an lightly used trail was on my bike and not driving!!!!

It's not a good idea to drink and ride.

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/city_...730452,00.html
    Last edited by lidarman; 03-25-2004 at 04:29 PM.

Flowtronic engineer
    "The law doesn't apply to city bike paths."

Damn straight, swervy Creek Path style is the only way to go. But you definitely need a light and gotta coast, speed kills on that thing. Post-Sports Garage-Social-Ride-Rio sessions had me wobbling down the creek path many times during my Boulder salad days.
    I really identify with you...SO MUCH.

"Feelin stupid? I know I am."
    "You just have to forget everything you know about gravity."
    H. Simpson

mtbr member
    Oct 2003

Young and dumb

I did it a few times when I was young and dumb. There was this one time some friends and I were out tooling around bottles full of MadDog 20/20. That was some godawful s#!t, but it served its purpose. Any way, on this occasion we were hammering full tilt down a residential street when I became preoccupied with some rednecks working on their world of outlaws sprint car. In an instant all I could feel was throbbing from my face and fingers combined with the steely cold feeling of the sheet metal on a cool spring evening. As soon as I was remotely aware the first thought that went through my head was that I had been hit. I scrambled up only to see that I had run directly into the back of a parked car.

OH SMACK, those red necks were laughing there collective asses off. As I pulled my bike up to examine for damage I realized I had knocked the bumper off the car. Thats right, the drivers side of the bumper was setting on the ground. I got back on that paramount 70 xt 7spd thumb shifters and all and high tailed it out of there. That is my one and only hit and run of my entire life and if any one asks I will deny it.

I had a first generation suspension fork on that bike that was made by Trek. It was actually air oil but that thing was terrible and it must have weighed as much as the steel frame. The fork held up great through the crash. I thhink it flexed as much side to side and for and aft as up and down.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Anybody ever drink and ride? Its very fun to do, especially if youre with a group that is all hossed too. I havent really noticed a performanace decline, but I did notice that I attempt a lot more stupid s***, as is expected I guess. Share your stories with me guys.

I don't get drunk when I ride but there is one local ride where tradition has it that you have a beer at the top of the climb at the "beer bench" before you descend some bumpy fun singletrack. I really look forward to that break and at that point in the ride my body will take any carbs it gets.

Can't even drive a car if I smoke anything, so tokin on the trail for me is a no. Can't imagine how people do it.

what a joke

well

We nearly always have one or three at the end of a ride. Never tried before the ride though, things could get out of hand quick Just take it easy.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member
    I guess i should have stated that I do it on private property. I do agree it can be dangerous to yourself and others as well, you just gotta watch yourself.

mtbr member

Oohhhh

I drink to ride, no I ride to drink,
    Oh I'm a drunk with a riding problem.

PeAcE
    cRAzY ANdY

mtbr member

Here's my take...

Never rode on trails under the influence but I have ridden around town after having a few. Never fall-down drunk, but I've been pretty buzzed a couple times and certainly beyond the legal limit.

Sure it's probably not a good idea, but there's no such thing as reliable public transportation where I live and my house is little more than a mile from any one of the two or three watering holes in this small city.

Personally I'm more nervous about dodging all the idjits that are hopping in their cars for the ride home after last call, than I am about falling over due to my own inebriation. My townie/alll-arounder is a fixed-gear even. I figure if I'm *that* far gone it's not really all that far to walk...

<rant>
    As far as bicycle DUIs carrying the same penalties as auto DUIs, that's bulllsh*t. The whole point of hefty penalties for DUIs is that you're a danger to others, and you should be heavily penalized for putting other people's lives at risk due to your actions. You're not much of a danger to anyone but yourself while on a bike and penalizing you for actions that only endanger yourself is, IMHO, stupid.
    </rant>

-Trevor

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    I scrambled up only to see that I had run directly into the back of a parked car.
    OH SMACK, those red necks were laughing there collective asses off.

Hahahaha, great story... I don't ever drink and ride on the trail, but I have ridden home from the bar before. Good story from me a couple of years back (much like above).

Was visiting a friend up at University of Michigan in ann arbor, we decided to hit the bars that night and decided to do it on bikes. UM has a pretty fun campus to ride on anyways, but during the trip from bar #2 to bar #3 I made a bad decision. As we were approaching the front of the bar I did a big ol' bunny hop down off the curb into the street upon which the bar sits. Thanks to booze (or the bike gods having a good sense of humor) I grabbed a fistful of front brake in mid-air. I have NO clue why I did this. I didn't need any brakes. But there it was. And I stacked HARD on street right in front of the bar's picture window, and the bike came to rest on top of me. I gouged my thumb a bit and smashed in the face of my favorite watch, but was otherwise alright so up I got. I was greeted by MANY amused and concerned faces looking out the window at me. After locking the bikes and entering the bar, I was greeted to a round of applause from several tables. Needless to say I felt quite sheepish.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cRasHmAstER
    I drink to ride, no I ride to drink,
    Oh I'm a drunk with a riding problem.

PeAcE
    cRAzY ANdY
    Crazy andy, starter of the beer bench tradition

BLS439
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal
    Never rode on trails under the influence but I have ridden around town after having a few. Never fall-down drunk, but I've been pretty buzzed a couple times and certainly beyond the legal limit.

Sure it's probably not a good idea, but there's no such thing as reliable public transportation where I live and my house is little more than a mile from any one of the two or three watering holes in this small city.

Personally I'm more nervous about dodging all the idjits that are hopping in their cars for the ride home after last call, than I am about falling over due to my own inebriation. My townie/alll-arounder is a fixed-gear even. I figure if I'm *that* far gone it's not really all that far to walk...

<rant>
    As far as bicycle DUIs carrying the same penalties as auto DUIs, that's bulllsh*t. The whole point of hefty penalties for DUIs is that you're a danger to others, and you should be heavily penalized for putting other people's lives at risk due to your actions. You're not much of a danger to anyone but yourself while on a bike and penalizing you for actions that only endanger yourself is, IMHO, stupid.
    </rant>

-Trevor
    Trevor (this is not an attack against you), I usually agree with you but your rant is kind of off a bit. When you are DUI on a bike, you might run into a car or person. They may not be physically hurt, but with all of the frivilous lawsuits out there now a days, they may get you for some kind of mental distress caused by experiencing the collision. DUI's always effect more than just the DUI operator of the vehicle. If you can't operate a bike legally, what makes anyone think you can operate a vehicle legally...in Cali they are considered the same.

just my .02.

--BLS439

user-created
    I drink and ride all the time, especially for big hit or urban rides. If I'm doing a shuttle or lift, I definetly pounds beers between runs.

Not to get sloppy of course, but rather to stay loose. When you're riding you body is motabalizing everything too fast to get *drunk* anyway.

For longer rides, I usually shove a pounder in my camelback for lunch time. When you crack a beer at the top of a 15 mile climb, suddenly everbody wants a sip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Please continue to do so.

Darwin lives.

I am the owl
    Post this on the single speed board and the answers will probably be way different. Not that I know anything about that...
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

We get titles?

upNdown

I tried it once. Worst ride I ever had. I found my circulatory system (heart and lungs) didn't seem to work very well when I was tanked. I wouldn't recommend anybody try to ride drunk. Aside from the difficulties I experienced, its dangerous for you and anybody else unlucky enough to get in your way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Crack Pipe'n & Trail Ride'n

Forget not the Hippie Lettuce on the trail,
    the one who rides hardest will prevail.

But drink some brew from the bottom of the barrel,
    and watch that singletrack with others on the trail.

I, myself, so black and blue, legs bleeding and broken bones too,
    would rather smoke my carbon fiber titianium crack pipe,
    than drink beer burn blunts and ride at night.
    Manifest plainness,
    Embrace simplicity,
    Reduce selfishness,
    Have few desires.

--Lao-tzu

Witty McWitterson
    Wow. Buncha prudes in here...Not that I do it all the time, but there are times and rides where its encouraged(ss rallys primarily, sometimes that last lap or two on an endurance race). Of course I feel the effects too. Sometimes I compensate by doing dumb shiite, sometimes, I just cruise along. Riderx is right though, sser's are much more likely to have a beer or two in the course of a ride than 'normal' riders. Lighten up folks.
    Just a regular guy.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

road and trail drunks

my old road club used to do an annual pub crawl in which we'd ride from bar to bar on a 70-some mile loop. I recall suffering mightly into a stiff headwind on the final leg after about a dozen Molson export ales.
    Back east I used to do long -- 100 to 150 mile --road training rides with some track pros who like me, raced at TTown velodrome. Instead of rolling into 7-Elevens for refueling, the group would invariably stop at a bar, where each pro would consume a snickers or two along with a shot and a beer, then continue on our way.
    couple weekends ago, I rode the Kinsey Trail in Farmington NM with some friends, one of whom brought along his friend, who couldn't drive his own truck because he's already had a few beers that a.m. and so couldn't blow into his court-mandated ignition lockout every 15 minutes enroute. Every time we stopped during the ride, he pulled another Keystone Light can out of his pack and consumed it. At least 4 during the ride by my count. But wait, it gets better. He'd also pull out another Swisher Sweet and puff away on that. If it wasn't done by the time we saddled up, he'd ride along, puffing on his cigar. Considering he bought his Schwinn hardtail as transportation when he lost his license, and that he'd never ridden singletrack before, he actually did pretty well, mostly keeping up with no crashes and a minimum of walking on climbs.

Probably drunk right now

This never happens in the Midwest...

Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Wow. Buncha prudes in here...Not that I do it all the time, but there are times and rides where its encouraged(ss rallys primarily, sometimes that last lap or two on an endurance race). Of course I feel the effects too. Sometimes I compensate by doing dumb shiite, sometimes, I just cruise along. Riderx is right though, sser's are much more likely to have a beer or two in the course of a ride than 'normal' riders. Lighten up folks.
    Drinking and riding? Wouldn't that be <i>dangerous</i>? Well... danger is my business...... name the movie.

Also, check out last Friday's tea party as told by the upstanding gentlemen at Single Speed Outlaw:

http://www.singlespeedoutlaw.com/issue5/blog.shtml

Ken

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

beer from the bottom of the barrel

that, of course, is an old wive's tale, as there is no such thing as beer from the bottom of the barrel. you hear that all the time, that dark beers, stout, or just stronger beer in general, is from the bottom of the barrel. all that resides at the bottom of any beer barrel, assuming it's unfiltered, is "trub," which consists of dead yeast, hop slush, and the resides of any clearing agent like irish moss that is added to improve clarity. beer alcoholic strength depends on the amount of sugars -- from malted barley, wheat, honey, corn sugar, beet sugar, rice, etc etc -- you feed the yeast. beer color depends on the degree of roasting given the grains, just like heavily roasted french roast coffee is darker and more flavorful than lightly roasted coffee beans.

Occidental Tourist

Back in College

I will admint to Bars on Bikes. Basically a pub crawl on two wheels. Stupid but fun. A few minor crashes and one near miss that could have been ugly. Most of our travels were through campus and there were very few people out. Our reasoning at the time was at least we were only putting ourselves at risk (course there is always the possibility of creaming a pedesrian or another cyclist). We eventually got smart and started sharing cabs. As for trail riding drunk, can't say I've done that unless you count riding off a hangover.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Mythical Creature

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away....

Back in the late 80's thru early 90's while I was a full time bike messenger in NYC, it was standard operating procedure to meet up at Washington Square park after work and drink a couple of 40's and smoke a little (not cig's) before the ride downtown, over the brooklyn bridge and home. It was a great way to shed a LOT of the stress built up after 10 hours riding through the city all day long, expecially when the weather was nice out. Of course this was before the disneyification of NYC (pre-guiliani!!!) where one could sit and drink beer and smoke even while police were probably in the area! What the hell did they care? We were just laying low, not causing any trouble nor bothering anyone, so they'd spend their time on more worthy pursuits, like chasing a crackhead that had stabbed a drug dealer right in front of us one time! Ahhhh, the good old (crack) days!

Now there were one or two "instances" on those rides home, especially the time I came within inches of rear ending a nasty, stinky, full NYC Sanitation trash truck on west b'way. Of course I rode a fixed gear track bike with no brakes, because I was so cool of course. The only real crash I had (while intoxicated) involved me, myself, and some chain link fencing on the williamsburg bridge in the dark one night. Ow. So I went to the bar on the brooklyn side where I spent lot's of time and got more drunk before actually going home. Genius.

All told, I feel that at that time, youth and extreme fitness/endurance/coordination from flying through NYC traffic all day every day for years made it so there was little effect from "influence(s)", as my drunken most, stoned out and tripping riding was still pretty good! Haha. It sounds ludicrous now, and I hardly drink any booze at all anymore (1-2 drinks a week, as opposed to 6-8 'social pints' per night!) as I am trying to drop weight and reclaim some of those lost years in NYC where I damaged my body with such awful lifestyle habits. I sure don't regret it, just regret not moving out west and cleaning up sooner!
    Last edited by glenzx; 03-26-2004 at 07:59 AM. Reason: who cares? i spell like ****!
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler

Who me? Why'd I do a thing like that?

Unless there's a good reason.....

Last Year's AZSF bonus ride:

http://forums13.consumerreview.com/c....5@.ef9ee7b/13

Werner
    Don't harsh my mello

master of "the robot"
    oddly enough, just yesterday, while on the spokejunkies message board, i found a link to a group of dudes (not associated with the spokejunkies) who actually have a race that involves drinking. the race looks like it was through the streets of boston, or nyc, it didn't specify. i downloaded the video, and i have to say, although it seems like it would be fun to do, if you look at it through the eyes of anyone else on the street, the bicylists are complete *******s. total and complete disregard for anyone who might be in their way.

Dain Bramaged

Are you guys forgetting another angle?

Quote Originally Posted by BLS439
    Trevor (this is not an attack against you), I usually agree with you but your rant is kind of off a bit. When you are DUI on a bike, you might run into a car or person. They may not be physically hurt, but with all of the frivilous lawsuits out there now a days, they may get you for some kind of mental distress caused by experiencing the collision. DUI's always effect more than just the DUI operator of the vehicle. If you can't operate a bike legally, what makes anyone think you can operate a vehicle legally...in Cali they are considered the same.

just my .02.

--BLS439
    What if you swerve (or ride without lights, reflective gear, etc.) and cause a driver to crash? They could easily be killed or strike another vehicle/cyclist/pedestrian. That right there constitutes as much potential damage as driving a car itself. Granted, your direct potential to strike and injure others is MUCH greater in a car, but I think you get my point.

from the STL

the liver is evil

and must be punished

why drink and ride? Nothing ever good comes from it. It's better to have little tea parties and compare spandex in order to get in the groove.

gimme a break. getting blazed is ok by some but drinking is too "crazy"

Quote Originally Posted by fred³

Darwin lives.
    .......LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!

lurker spaz

Sort of...

I'll go out for drinks on a Friday or Saturday evening on my cruiser. It's a heavy beast, with a coaster brake - not an agile bike. I'm careful about how much I drink because I know I have to get home on the "tank" without hurting myself or anyone else. After a few (2 or 3) beers out with friends I'll slowly cruise home by side streets and/or a city trail. I don't drink to get drunk (well past that stage of my life) and it's a nice way to go out for an evening. Frankly, I'm most worried about the drunks in cars on my way home.

I definitely wouldn't take any of my "nice" bikes out for several reasons. 1. I don't want to have to worry about the bike being stolen - the cruiser is not very valuable. 2. I'd have to wear cycling shoes or hassle with changing pedals. 3. On any bike but the cruiser I might be tempted to ride faster than I should (at night, with a bit of a buzz).

Dr.(I like a post mtb. ride beer too)F

DiscoCowboy

now I know why I ride a singlespeed...

they can ride and have fun. Back to ss board for me.

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Allroy
    they can ride and have fun. Back to ss board for me.
    whew! good riddance! J/K

they are so much cooler anyhow, aren't they? wish i could be. the real SS is one that is fixed, IMO, not the wussy freewheel type ;-)

of course I never have fun on or off my bike either, as i usually ride geared bikes and can easily cruise at speeds that would casue SS knees to explode trying to keep up....

follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Pull my finger
    Quote Originally Posted by fred³

Darwin lives.

Yes he does. Probably in Mayberry.

Drinking in moderation during rides has never caused any problems for myself or any of the other guys I ride with. In fact, tequila gave several riders on the now-infamous High Rocks Ice Ride a second wind with which to ride a second loop.

I've never ridden on the road after drinking anything stronger than Gatorade.

The most successful race I ever had was done under the influence of a few slugs of tequila and a bottle of Bigfoot

Probably drunk right now

Who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    whew! good riddance! J/K

they are so much cooler anyhow, aren't they? wish i could be. the real SS is one that is fixed, IMO, not the wussy freewheel type ;-)

of course I never have fun on or off my bike either, as i usually ride geared bikes and can easily cruise at speeds that would casue SS knees to explode trying to keep up....

Not sure what you're getting at. Riding a SS doesn't make anyone cooler, better, etc. You like gears? Great. You like SSing? Great. Fixed? Why not?

"i usually ride geared bikes and can easily cruise at speeds that would casue SS knees to explode trying to keep up...." LOL. Thanks for the laugh...

Ken

bi-winning

I was going to start...

I guess i should have stated that I do it on private property. I do agree it can be dangerous to yourself and others as well, you just gotta watch yourself.
    I was going to start bashing you for being so stupid, but since you are on private property and not putting others at risk, i suppose it is alright. I don't really drink too much, but if thats the way you like to have fun, then whatever, go for it. Sure its a little more dangerous though. You're more likely to break something (you bike or yourself ) but its up to you. Just please dont put others at risk.

Yo momma's pimp
    Dude, you probably should have posted this on the DH/FR board. you wouldn't have gotten near the high and mighty pompous ass answers like you did here. C'mon, don't you know, alcohol while you're riding soaks your lycra shorts causing them droop and not display your package so prominently. It also sends wrong readings to your heart rate monitor that mistakenly reads out that you have gone anerobic. Or some stupid s h i t like that.
    "So pass me the pipe, and sing me a song, and when the pipe's cashed out just load up the bong"

Jason Boland and the Stragglers

I'm playin bocci ball, leave me alone

Mythical Creature

Laugh a minute!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Thanks for the laugh...

Ken
    Whoa! who peed in yer cornflakes???

that's what it was for, laughs, as indicated by the o-so-serious and judgemental use of :"J/K" ("just kidding", if we need be so literal...), the ";-)" and the "", including typo's and all..... it was a lame attempt at humor, but certainly not opaque! C'mon man....

If it was so cryptic, for the record, i indeed like and ride (and have fun on) geared and non-geared bikes on and off road....... jeeez.

cheers! it's beer thirty here in santa fe on a gorgeaous friday.
    follow me on Twitter!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I worked with a guy that got drunk on his own private property one Saturday night and then tried to move his truck so one of his buddies could leave. He backed over and killed one of his twin three year old daughters in his own driveway.

But hey, lighten up because it’s OK since he did it in his own truck to his own daughter on his own private property.

Party on! Have a great weekend!

just along for the ride
    I was doing a delivery late night flying on 8 IPAs and humped the curb in front of city hall just to find out how my helmet worked... damn dabbed my head some light thight bruises and no sierens so it was almost OK, I'm now stumbling my bills to the post late night! Few beers OK if you are large otherwise save them for post ride fun

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Highly into riding then drinking. But whatever for anyone else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLS439

just my .02.

--BLS439
    I'm just saying "legal" and "safe" aren't always the same thing when we're talking about cruising speeds on a bicycle. Being that drunk-driving laws are so stringent, I'm probably beyond the *legal* 0.08 limit after about 2 1/2 pints of any non-pisswater beer. However I seriously doubt I'm impaired enough to be dangerous to anybody on my bicycle in that state, and I think the laws should take this into account.

When piloting a ton or so of metal on public streets at speeds of 50 mph or more, drunkeness standards *should* be strict, when piloting 30 or so pounds metal at speeds of generally less than 25 mph (casual, cruising-speeds.) I don't think it's unreasonable to relax those standards somewhat...

A little research shows that the law does take that into account, in CA anyway: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21200_5.htm

Hafta do more research to see what, if any, other penalties would apply.

My rant was originally based upon the assumption that a bicycle DUI (Wouldn't it be "RUI"?) carried the same penalties as an automotive DUI, which seems pretty excessive.

-Trevor

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    I worked with a guy that got drunk on his own private property one Saturday night and then tried to move his truck so one of his buddies could leave. He backed over and killed one of his twin three year old daughters in his own driveway.

But hey, lighten up because it’s OK since he did it in his own truck to his own daughter on his own private property.

Party on! Have a great weekend!
    Just goes to show trucks should be illegal. There is that big tail gate so you can't see whats playing down there, drunk or not. Hey trucks are great things for children to play behind. Particularly when they are parked on concrete late on Saturday nights. If that guy had been backing is Mountain Bike or Motor Cycle up while drunk none of this would have happened.

There are these guys who live in the sticks of utah and they have like 6 or 7 wives and what not. They are devoutly religious, so I got it figured that religions are for numbnuts.

I'm sorry but what does this sad sack killing his daughter have to do with riding your bike in the woods drunk. I mean I think it is stupid to ride in the trees drunk but, it's better than getting drunk and beating his wife. Better than getting drunk and backing his truck up over his three year old daughter.

I want to congartulate Joshua from MSU for doing the responsible thing and downhilling drunk rather than running over his three year old daughter with a truck. Way to go man, you are a model citizen.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Yeah, it was the trucks fault and the intake of alcohol had nothing to do with it. Great logic. joshua made the point that he was on private property as if this meant that nothing bad could happen as a result of it. An innocent bystander can be hurt just as easily no matter what the status of the property. BTW, just for the record, this truck was not parked on or near any concrete or asphalt either. The guy lived way out in the sticks of the CA desert.

What this has to do with some sad sack killing his daughter, is that when people are drunk or impaired and then operate a vehicle or machinery or whatever that could injure someone besides themselves, it's irresponsible. It doesn't matter whether they are on private property, on a bicycle, in a car or truck, shooting a firearm, whatever.... It's not the only thing people do that's irresponsible, but it's one that can and should be avoided. To try to point out other things that are done irresponsibly doesn't suddenly make this one disappear no matter how loudly you squeal.

Maybe joshua was in a situation that was set up to insure that nobody besides themselves could get injured. If he did, then I have no problem with it. I may not think it's a great idea, but I have no problem with it.

My argument is that people should not be free to be drunk or otherwise impaired and then partake in activities that endanger others besides themselves that do not wish to be so endangered, please feel free to state your case if you feel otherwise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    It is more of an opinion thing I guess. I know where your coming from. I just feel that the opportunity for this fella to be endangering anyone but himself on private property is rather slim. I done't condone that type of behavior but I certainly wouldn't legislate it. It wouldn't even matter to me if he was hopped up on a dozen ellicit substances. It's his life! Now if he has a mess of kids at home and his behavior begins endangering those kids wellfare the scenario changes, but as long as he is on his own at MSU none of my business. As far as I am concerned it is just like religion. I don't tell you what to do and believe so long as you are not harming others, You don't tell me what to do.

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    I like to drink a few and go riding. Then I like to drink a few more and take the ol' truck out looking for innocent children to mow down. Then I'll stop off and look for some old folks so I can rough 'em up and steal their medications to get my "fix." Lord knows that anyone who ever alters their level of consciousness is a depraved lunatic who doesn't have any functional grasp of responsibility.

It may sound heartless but tough crap for the kid that was run over. This is what can happen when you're born to and parented by complete and total idiots. "Private property" is not a phrase that removes all consequences, however, not all of us have kids. In that case, it was clearly the drunk person's fault - a child does not know better. However, not all places are for children. If the same thing were to have happened at a party where everyone involved was an adult, fault could be clearly laid on the person who was dumb enough to be hanging around behind a giant piece of metal that frequently moves.

Most of us manage risk just by mountain biking to begin with. Though drinking a riding is "less responsible" than would be ideal, there are more and less responsible ways to drink and ride. I don't think any of us are advocating getting blackout drunk and terrorizing innocent pedestrians. Say what you want, riding a bike drunk is safer than driving a car drunk. For you and everyone else.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Dark Matter, I think it sounds like you and I more or less agree after all.

But Archduke, on one hand you say “tough crap” for the kid and then you come back and say, “it was clearly the drunk person’s fault.” Which is it? Or are you saying it was clearly the drunk person’s fault but “tough crap” for the kid (or anyone else) because the drunk should have no consequences for their actions?

You are certainly entitled to your opinions but my guess is that a civil court and quite possibly a criminal court may disagree regardless of your own personal sense of moral responsibility, so I gather you already know that you are proceeding at your own risk whether you agree or not. I believe that freedom does come with responsibility and that freedom without responsibility is basically anarchy.

I agree that we all manage risk when we ride mountain bikes, however I think that risk can be managed responsibly. But can you manage that risk responsibly by purposely doing things that would REDUCE your ability to maintain control of your bike? It appears that this is where we disagree.

“Say what you want, riding a bike drunk is safer than driving a car drunk. For you and everyone else.”

I guess, in your eyes, that makes it OK then…

However my own life’s experiences give me a different perspective. I have had enough people’s lives (that were close to me) negatively affected by the careless actions of impaired persons that it gets me a little worked up to hear people more concerned about the right to party and do what you want than the right to not be carelessly endangered. While I hope that those you are close to never have something happen to them as a result of the careless actions of an impaired person, if it does, I doubt you’ll make a point to tell them or their loved ones how you really feel by saying “tough crap.”

I have a feeling that we could go on disagreeing back and forth endlessly, (go for it if you like) but I’ve spoken and I’m done. Peace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast