mtbr member
    Mar 2011

The Downieville Classic: Passion of all things bike

I've always loved bike races and festivals, even when I bonk, get passed, and cross the finish line with "last-place-face" dust caked to my pasty, quivering mug. I long ago gave up trying to go fast, or even compete, but still spend a fair amount of time volunteering, cheering on friends, or just enjoying the unique, energizing, and welcoming embrace of the bike culture. These days, I also produce films of all sorts, so it was a no-brainer to do a documentary on the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship to help them build more trail, spread their message, and share their success with the wider MTB world. Since the D-ville Classic is their signature event (started 18 years ago by SBTS's executive director, Greg Williams) and their single biggest fundraising event, I obviously needed to be there to film it all. As a small production company -with only 2 of us- and another project underway in Oregon, I needed some help, and about a dozen awesome volunteers -amateur and pro alike- stepped up to the plate to film with me throughout the weekend, some even doing double duty as course and/or event volunteers as well. The results are phenomenal.

This is just a tiny bit of the 50 or so hours of footage that we captured, all of it shot on Saturday before, during and after the XC race, and including the famous river jump, all of it raw, unedited, and just accompanied by a bit of music. "McLovin,", last year's River Jump winner (and featured POV jumper in this montage) is also a seriously talented cinematographer, and you'll see some of his footage in here as well:

I'll post the raw "dailies" from Sunday in this thread later today or tomorrow, after I've had a chance to comb through dozens of hours of sweet footage of the Downhill.

If you've never been to the Classic, or any MTB race/festival, put it on your list of must-dos. It's MTB culture, friendship, and adventure at its best!

mtbr member
    Great video. I really enjoyed watching this edit. We've been wanting to put together something like this to help promote/spotlight our annual enduro/fund raiser.

What would it take to bring you out to the Great Basin Trails Alliance main fund raiser the Fears Tears and Beers Enduro next year?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Send me a PM Rob, we can discuss. Always up for doing "work" like this...

mtbr member
    Will do.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    And here's day 2:
    And here's day 2:

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Awesome. Never been there but it looks like a lot of fun. I just recently took the gf to her first festival up in Vermont. We live in PA six hours away. What a blast. And we are going to another 3 day festival the end of August. It's definitely a unique experience and way of life.
    LOVE THE RIDE!