mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Downieville in April? - River Riding Part II

Merlin (Rick) and I rode North Yuba, Halls Ranch and Fiddle Creek on Thursday. Here is what we saw and what we rode.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Another

More of the same...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Beautiful... Thats like the kind of place I daydream I'd be riding on. We are making plans to ride Downieville in a few months. Any tips, route recommendations?

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    That is a great ride with many tough miles. Perfect time of the year to do it too. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Lots of Options

Quote Originally Posted by psychojylo
    Beautiful... Thats like the kind of place I daydream I'd be riding on. We are making plans to ride Downieville in a few months. Any tips, route recommendations?
    Well, what type of riding do you like? Unless you use one of the many shuttle services in town, everything in Downieville requires a lot of climbing to start (with maybe the exception of an out and back on the North Yuba Trail) and then a long descent to finish the ride. There are a lot of trails in the region. I live about an hour from there. Check with the USFS. My experience has been that some of the Downieville shuttle service maps have been wildly inaccurate.

Don't expect super technical terrain though. Downieville offers some fantastic riding, but super challenging rocky terrain is few and far between there. This is one of the reasons I rarely ride there; I crave the rocky gardens :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

rocky

[/QUOTE]Don't expect super technical terrain though. Downieville offers some fantastic riding, but super challenging rocky terrain is few and far between there. This is one of the reasons I rarely ride there; I crave the rocky gardens :-)[/QUOTE]

Try riding on the other side of the ridge. The lakes basin offers some super tough terrain most of which is in the Plumas National Forest. Keep exploring up there, it's up there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Yup

[QUOTE=cfeuchtTry riding on the other side of the ridge. The lakes basin offers some super tough terrain most of which is in the Plumas National Forest. Keep exploring up there, it's up there.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, this is certainly true. Lakes Basin is way technical. For me, other technical riding is much closer to where I live. But if you area already in the Downieville area, Lakes Basin is a great option if you are looking for the rough, rocky Sierra experience.

mtbr member

Up!

Good God man!...you climbed up Halls Ranch?.....I hate that moth@r fri$ken climb! Is Fiddle Creek any good right now? We did that ride last April and it looked like Fiddle Creek had not been maintained in a long time....We actually lost the trail at one point....Howzit now?...

We'll be up that Way riding Bullards this sunday at around 11:30

s
    What is a "healing vibe"???
    See our aid stations at the Tahoe Sierra 100 Red Star Ridge & Dusty Corners

www.goapc.org

mtbr member

Your darn right we climbed Halls ranch!

But it was a grind!!!!!!! The top was totally overgrown, i was riding through these overgrown green bush things and the thought" if this is Poison Oak I'm going straight to the hospital"..Now that it's the next day I can tell you it wans'nt. The trail is in OK shape..downed tree's, loose switchbacks, overgrown plants in the trail, but still a fun ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Bursting a Lung

I call it Hell's Ranch. Brutal... made worse because I was chasing Senor Ricky Racer up there ;-) I had hoped to ride it all without dabbing. I made it most of the way up, but stopped when my heart and lungs could not take it anymore. Someday!

Note that it is Fiddle Creek Trail that is overgrown. Hells Ranch is fine.
    Last edited by memine; 04-02-2004 at 01:44 PM.