Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    I'll add three to the list:

I hate the three folks who were walking along the trail 3 abreast, chatting with each other and listening to music with earbuds at the same time. No, not because they were spanning the entire 9' wide trail or wouldn't move until I rode right behind them and yelled (for the third time). No, I hate them because they them proceeded to call me an "inconsiderate piece of S$%&." Not to argue, but were I inconsiderate I'd have just bowled one over and been on my way. There's always next time.

The next "guys I hate" are the rider/smokers that were clustered along the trailside creading a big cloud of smoke for me to ride through. If there's a big clearing, go a few feet off the trail.

Finally, the paving crew last night that was tearing up a road that intersects my trail home. I'm all for fixing the streets, but you can't create a mile long no crossing zone and act all surprised when a dude on a Fargo jumps your "barrier tape" on their ride home. I did appreciate the detailed explaination of why the road was closed and how the tape was there for my protection they yelled as I rode off. I'm so looking forward to doing the same thing on my Paragon this afternoon (they might not yell if they think I'm the same guy).
    Smoking riders? I thought they were all dead by now..

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by idoc View Post
    This was a Sunday afternoon, public trails, open fire road. We were headed towards a shade tree. I don't understand how you hit someone riding in the same direction as you on an open fire road.
    Target fixation .... Maybe a newb looking at what he wanted to avoid hitting.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Co Springs

I hate the three folks who were walking along the trail 3 abreast, chatting with each other and listening to music with earbuds at the same time. No, not because they were spanning the entire 9' wide trail or wouldn't move until I rode right behind them and yelled (for the third time). No, I hate them because they them proceeded to call me an "inconsiderate piece of S$%&." Not to argue, but were I inconsiderate I'd have just bowled one over and been on my way. There's always next time.

I'd be tempted stop and let them know how considerate and in control any rider is that alllows them to block a trail without a trip to the hospital. It's a one time offer though because I can't speak to the consideration, control or ability of the next 40 riders that come through here in the next hour or two.
    Oh, btw, you do keep a cell phone and ID / Emerg contact info on you ...... right ?

Colorado has plenty of signage for the roads and highways advising slower traffic stay right. (Law) Seems like an applicable idea for the trails too.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Along the lines of the guy who won't move over to let you merge onto the Interstate. That guy will never move over if he's a State Trooper heading to a semi-truck crash. One of Nebraska's luckiest motorists was merging onto I-80 (left side merge lane) and nearly ran into a trooper heading to a crash (trooper was passing a Semi). After a loud honk and some yelling at his window, our hero found himself alongside one of Nebraska's finest (funny how he missed the lights and sirens). Things worked out okay. The motorist locked up his brakes on the emergency lane (hence the name) and the Trooper beat the life flight helicopter to the accident.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crutton View Post
    no he was actually texting
    Don't have this problem in Pisgah and DuPont. Phones don't work there. Maybe they were newbs. You could have stopped and let them know it was dangerous to congregate in the middle of the trail.

I only read the first page of this post and saw the comments about trail etiquette. I'll agree that it is going away in a lot of people. I was riding up a two mile climb yesterday evening and had to pull over for 8 bikers because they would not even move to one side of the trail. Thought they deserved to stay in the center. The last rider I encountered saw me from above and stopped until I climbed by. I graciously thanked him though I could have used the rest. I don't mind pulling over, especially if I'm climbing, but it is nice to have the same done for you from time to time.

Sometimes here it seems that when riders put on race kits to ride they think everyone should yield to them no matter what. A little courtesy can go a long way. On the other hand, I think that if you decide to climb up a classic downhill when there is a way around to the top, then you need to let the riders have fun. Trails are a two way street that require a little understanding at times.

Quote Originally Posted by scmtbiker View Post
    Sometimes here it seems that when riders put on race kits to ride they think everyone should yield to them no matter what. A little courtesy can go a long way. On the other hand, I think that if you decide to climb up a classic downhill when there is a way around to the top, then you need to let the riders have fun. Trails are a two way street that require a little understanding at times.
    I had that yesterday on the Fargo. I was an a rails-to-trails and a race kitted road bike comes whizzing by about an inch from my handlebars with no warning and then pulled right in front (maybe 6" of clearance). Well the Fargo is no road bike, but with cross bike tires and a little "pissed off" it will catch a road bike on gravel. Funny thing, as unnerving as it is to have some jackass try to cut you off on a trail, it's apparently more unnerving to have some jackass on a Fargo ride up on you and lock their rear tire up. The WTF look was totally worth riding a mile past my turn.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

The next "guys I hate" are the rider/smokers that were clustered along the trailside creading a big cloud of smoke for me to ride through. If there's a big clearing, go a few feet off the trail.
    I love hearing people who eat GMO foods cooked on non-stick pans that drink chemical laiden water, as well as all the petrochemicals used to grow the food as well as the plastics that line/touch all our food whilst driving about on the roadways where automobiles are the number one cause of deaths to people under the age of forty whilst inhaling all the fumes from car exhaust, and dressing in clothing made from petrochemicals complain about catching a whiff or two of "second hand smoke."

People who annoy me would be the uninformed propagandized minions who need to Bloke up!

Appalachian_Kamper
    Last edited by Appalachian_Kamper; 07-20-2014 at 09:37 AM. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian_Kamper View Post
    I love hearing people who eat GMO foods cooked on non-stick pans that drink chemical laiden water, as well as all the petrochemicals used to grow the food as well as the plastics that line/touch all our food whilst driving about on the roadways where automobiles are the number one cause of deaths to people under the age of forty whilst inhaling all the fumes from car exhaust, and dressing in clothing made from petrochemicals complain about catching a whiff or two of "second hand smoke."

People who annoy me would be the uninformed propagandized minions who need to Bloke up!

Appalachian_Kamper
    AK you assume much not in evidence. Since you don't mind that sort of thing, why don't you post your rides ahead of time and I'll try and take a dump along your route. Shouldn't offend you, just a little smell and mess, nothing too offensive.

Resident Gear Head
    I hate that one guy that makes everyone on the ride late. He never has spare parts or tools, doesn't take care of his bike, breaks something on every ride, and just doesn't care if he holds anyone up. Yep, I hate that guy
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    AK you assume much not in evidence. Since you don't mind that sort of thing, why don't you post your rides ahead of time and I'll try and take a dump along your route. Shouldn't offend you, just a little smell and mess, nothing too offensive.
    I "assume much not in evidence..." It's all around you, me, and everybody else in the states. What I spoke of and the fact that you find cigarette smoke offensive enough to write about it in this forum because it's your personal pet peeve and can find nothing worse to write about, yet many unavoidable things around you/us/everybody that are worse, which I pointed out, don't seem to bother you is rather ironic... It also smacks of somebody who believes in the lies that all forms of media perpetuate in all facets of our lives.

I ride nearly every day on the "Swatara State Park" railroad trail. I ride the entire length. It's clearly marked, and you shouldn't find any difficulty in finding it. However, I'm sorry to report that since you seem to think my running into fecal matter would upset me, it won't. The trail I ride is full of horses. At times, there are cavalcades of want to be equestrians in training from the local stable, so not only is the trail littered with huge piles of "horse apples," but also, they tear up the trail, so the 10 mile ride out is smooth, but the ride back after John Wayne's cavalry rides through feels much the same as riding on a washboard. Do I like it, no, but it's not my property, they've free and clear access the same as me, and I just deal with it.

I'm mostly a road cyclist, and when I ride in the southern part of the county, the road's torn up and full of "horse apples" because I'm in Pennsylvania Dutch Country.

Cheers,
    Appalachian Kamper
    Last edited by Appalachian_Kamper; 08-07-2014 at 11:12 AM. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I hate that one guy that orders a better meal than me at a restaurant. When the food comes and mine isn't as good as I hoped I stare at his and think, it could have been mine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That happened to my friend in Brooklyn.. We went to this place that we saw on tv that beer batters burgers and he accidently ordered a beet burger. So I split mine with him cause I'm a truly awesome friend.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    years ago a friend and I were riding the uphill part of a trail, we were within 500 feet of the top and a girl jumps out of the bushes and yells "STOP" we were so out of breath from the climb we were not able to give he a piece of our minds....... I think the look on our faces were enough.... one of the people with her told her they should go and get out of our way before we kicked there arse....lol
    97 specialized rockhopper.....$5 garage sale find....rebuild and low buck single speed conversion

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Worst was overweight middle-aged lady hiker I came upon who was squatting bare-assed and peeing all over the trail. Ewww.

mtbr member
    It's been 4 days since the last rant. Is everyone out riding? Has the vast well of complaints been completely drained? Don't be that one guy!
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have one... I ride Alum Creek State Park which has 2 Mountain Bike specific trails. The trails surround a large lake that is popular with fishermen so they will occasionally use parts of the trail to access their fishing hole (no big deal).

The other day I was coming around a corner and nearly crashed because a fisherman had stacked up a cooler, tackle box, rods, and folding chairs right in the middle of the trail. Fortunately it took him a minute to get back so I had a moment to find my inner peace before he returned.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I live in a rural mountainous area with literally hundreds of miles of trails so usually never see many trail user's BUT when I do I always yield .

I remember only one incident where I was straddling my bike in the middle of the trail "climb" talking to some CUTE female hiker's when this biker approached and started hollering loudly " SERIOUSLY DUDE, LIKE GIVE UP SOME TRAIL DUDE " I apologized as he went by.

After talking " flirting " for several more minutes I proceeded up the climb only to run into this biker huffing, puffing and weaving in granny......Inches from his back tire I hollered " SERIOUSLY DUDE - LIKE DUDE MAYBE KNITTING IS YOUR THING ".

True story. lol

mtbr member
    Damn, I think if half of ya'll rode trails around here, I'd take up golf just to avoid you. And I thought road warriors and strav*******s were the worst, whew buddy. Ride and let ride, there's more out there than the 6 inches in front of your face.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I want to get one of those aerosol cans with horns that they use to call half time at LaCross games. I'm thinking like four of them if I could push four buttons at once.

mtbr member
    I was biking back after a nice blat around the trails... Road is up and down and quite windy ^^ I was gaining a head of steam on a down portion of road and at the next turn and rise there were 3 ladies out for a walk. I'm a good 30 metres away and call out "excuse me!" Two of the ladies were taking up half of the road (big ladies) they took one step towards the side. My line in/out was rather sharp and my momentum was still substantial. My back wheel got a bit sideways trying to get around them.

Maybe I shoulda yelled "M-O-O-ve over!"

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I shouldn't let things bother me so much. It is really easy to get an ambulance onto the trail where I ride, I shouldn't complain about people who block the whole trail. There are well marked entrances for ambulances all along the main road(Burlington Fire Dept Trail Entrance). I've had to ride around crashed bikes and ambulances, it's really not an issue, not like its out in the middle of nowhere like where you guys ride. Plus, I get dirty looks from people when I talk to them, you know, I make obnoxious pleasantries with them saying things like "On your left". I have no right to make conversation with these people, and their looks let me know it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    I was biking back after a nice blat around the trails... Road is up and down and quite windy ^^ I was gaining a head of steam on a down portion of road and at the next turn and rise there were 3 ladies out for a walk. I'm a good 30 metres away and call out "excuse me!" Two of the ladies were taking up half of the road (big ladies) they took one step towards the side. My line in/out was rather sharp and my momentum was still substantial. My back wheel got a bit sideways trying to get around them.

Maybe I shoulda yelled "M-O-O-ve over!"

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad
    This type of behavior is why parks do not want bikes on public trails that are to be shared by everybody. Good job scaring them with your sideways drift, instead of slowing down and greeting them just a tad, you chose to be an A@@hole acting like you think the trail is only for you. Maybe you personally should MOVE to your backyard.

mtbr member

Re: don't you hate that one guy..

Quote Originally Posted by 1362 View Post
    This type of behavior is why parks do not want bikes on public trails that are to be shared by everybody. Good job scaring them with your sideways drift, instead of slowing down and greeting them just a tad, you chose to be an A@@hole acting like you think the trail is only for you. Maybe you personally should MOVE to your backyard.
    Was on a road you knob end!! They were lucky it wasn't a car, otherwise they would have been run over. Pedestrians don't have the right to walk in the middle of the road.

Troll elsewhere :0wner-0perator:
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Don't you hate that one guy...

On a horse? yes. Yes I do.

When literally every other trail user, biker or hiker, or runner, or dog walker, has to yield to you in such an extreme manner as to actually leave the trailway so your ultra skittish, thousand pound animal can pass safely without hurting or killing either of us, and thanks me by dropping 5 pounds of **** in the middle of the trail, you are a nuisance.

I hate you.

Edit: The only thing worse than a guy on a horse is several guys on horses. Something about superiority in numbers unfailingly enables them to have the audacity to give ME the mean-mug when I make some noise by dragging my bike 10 feet off the trail into the weeds (cactus here in AZ). I swear they expect me to bow and scrape and apologize for being on 'their' trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Was on a road you knob end!! They were lucky it wasn't a car, otherwise they would have been run over. Pedestrians don't have the right to walk in the middle of the road.

Troll elsewhere :0wner-0perator:
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious! Can I say my Bad? Stand corrected.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast