Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFinn510 View Post
    generally speaking, if you think everybody around you is an ash hole, you're probably the ash hole.
    You've given me a lot to think about...

Professional Crastinator
    It's not just one guy. It's a conspiracy led by the same group of people who will roll through a stop sign like they're in a hurry, then drive in front of you at less than the posted speed limit.

We've passed, and passed through, all kinds of bird watchers, hikers with dogs on 20ft. leashes, motorcycle trail riders, even other MTBers traveling in the same direction. They're everywhere. It's just another aspect of riding.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by crutton View Post
    that is just standing right on the trail? like cmon dude i gotta go through!
    just happened to me today, i had good speed ,i make a sharp turn and i brake so hard i nearly fell of my bike because some dudes right there in the middle of the trail

I wonder about those..... might be so new to biking they have no sense of well-being. Were it me, I'd think about a rider ripping through trails and potentially hitting me. There was a fatal bike/pedestrian crash I read of in MI a few years ago.

I might even caution them by giving that example since it sounds more like I care about them getting hurt than them being an arrogant d-weed (which might be exactly what they are).
    After that word of caution, it's probably smart to remind them that even if they don't get hurt in a mishap, the other rider could be hurt trying to avoid them ....
    unless

that rider is smart enough to know they could use him to cushion their crash !! lol

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by crutton View Post
    no he was actually texting
    Well there you go. Obviously you've never tried to text from the edge of the trail, it's really hard. Conversely, riding off the trail is really what mountain biking is all about. I'm not trying to take sides here, but I did see his post "Don't you hate guys who insist on riding on the trail when you're texting." and he makes a lot of really valid points. I think we can all learn something about earning the trust and respect of our fellow bikers here.

(Can hardly keep a straight face typing this.)
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

DFMBA.org
    The 'one guy' for me is the a-hole who refuses to budge even a little and let me pass, even after multiple "pardon me"s. To refuse to yield (even a little) b/c you don't like mountain bikers is all the excuse I need to buzz your arse.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    The 'one guy' for me is the a-hole who refuses to budge even a little and let me pass, even after multiple "pardon me"s. To refuse to yield (even a little) b/c you don't like mountain bikers is all the excuse I need to buzz your arse.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Hope you crashed on the edge of the trail while crashing. I hate it when guys text and crash in the middle of the trail.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: don't you hate that one guy..

I have no problem using stupid people who put me in danger as cushions. I do it biking, snowboarding, and I've attempted to while driving but they get all scared and move over.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Trail Ninja
    He probably is also the "one" guy that is just irresponsible in every way, that gets other mtn bikers kicked out from trails, parking spots, hang outs, etc.

Example:

- parks, and invites his filthy buddies to park, at relatively unused corner of retail area that tolerates parking there, only to leave filth, from leaving it littered (forgotten water bottles, wrappers, bits of vegetation), with dirt, mud, oil, latex/sealant, and whatever else shedding off of bike and rider, to acting defensive and hostile (like an a-hole) when confronted by those pointing it out. Takes for granted the people that go and clean that up.

Some people have not yet learned how to be civilized...
    Last edited by Varaxis; 05-18-2014 at 01:47 AM.

bike wisperer
    I hate guys who agree with some other guys about different things, wait....I meant to say I like guys who disagree with other guys about stuff. I think. Mainly I don't want to be considered a hater. I hate those guys....
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    That one person that ... lets their dog **** on the trail or path and doesn't bother to be intelligent enough to pick it up, you either ride through it or step on it and take it home with you.

Resident Gear Head
    I rolled up on a hiker yesterday who had her music so loud she couldn't hear me yelling "excuse me" as loud as I could and I was 3 feet behind her. Had to get off my bike and tap her on the shoulder which scared the crap outta her. I still said excuse me and she stepped aside. Im alright with sharing the trail but jeez keep your music at a reasonably low volume

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by provin1327; 05-19-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

Quote Originally Posted by provin1327 View Post
    I rolled up on a hiker yesterday who had her music so loud she couldn't hear me yelling "excuse me" as loud as I could and I was 3 feet behind her. Had to get off my bike and tap her on the shoulder which scared the crap outta her. I still said excuse me and she stepped aside. Im alright with sharing the trail buy jeez keep your music at a reasonably low volume

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Urban version of the same story. Rolled up on two guys wearing their shorts halfway down and I yelled a couple times then I just rode around them. Apparently caught off guard, one guy was yelling that I needed a horn and the other was saying I better show more respect next time I pass. Really? Can you maintain 20 miles/hour and chase me down with your baggies on? Just proves that the original concept for Mad Max came from cyclists on trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I don't see what all the fuss is about. If I come up on someone on the trail, I usually stop and chat for a bit. Maybe pull out a couple beers, and roll on 20 minutes later having made a new friend that day. Works great with everyone, dog walkers, trail runners, horse back riders, other mountain bikers. The only resistance you'll get is from Lycra wearing strava guys. Those guys, I just wish them a good day as their backs disappear into the distance.

mtbr member
    We don't take kindly to folks who don't take kindly!
    Name:  2wegv83.png
Views: 8415
Size:  264.0 KB

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyWilliams View Post
    I don't see what all the fuss is about. If I come up on someone on the trail, I usually stop and chat for a bit. Maybe pull out a couple beers, and roll on 20 minutes later having made a new friend that day. Works great with everyone, dog walkers, trail runners, horse back riders, other mountain bikers. The only resistance you'll get is from Lycra wearing strava guys. Those guys, I just wish them a good day as their backs disappear into the distance.
    That's funny.
    I think some of the fuss is about those that are more out for the ride or workout and feel it's aloof if not ignorant to walk three people wide and blatantly create road blocks.
    On the other hand, if on a trail being shared and appropriately used by hikers or joggers, and dog walkers or ?? , I understand that bikes using it as a high speed training circuit may invite some of their own troubles as well as fuel the fire that many have about bicyclists in general. Some of these issues are shared with a similar angst on motorcycle forums as well.

I wouldn't go halfway on the short chat and offering a beer though. I'd rent a couch so we could relax in comfort. One that's wide enough to shut down the trail completely.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

don't you hate that one guy..

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyWilliams View Post
    Whereabouts do you ride kind sir? Ive been seeking a beer mule for some time and you seem to fit the bill!

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    I'm laughing my ass off while I read through this thread because all I can think of is how badly people seem to be missing the point here. Remember this old thing?

Name:  Trail-Courtesy-Yield-To-Sign-K-8263.gif
Views: 737
Size:  30.1 KB

I like this place

mtbr member
    Do I move up the courtesy food chain if I'm riding this?
    don't you hate that one guy..-ph-lg-tan-blkmane.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shining_trapezoid View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ph-lg-tan-blkmane.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	895474
    Yeah, as long as poop doesn't come out of the back!!!

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutter Jim View Post
    I'm laughing my ass off while I read through this thread because all I can think of is how badly people seem to be missing the point here. Remember this old thing?

Is it the point they are missing or the sign ??

If it works as good as the Don't leave doggy doo signs, they ought to save their money.

mtbr member

I always yield for hikers, but the horses, no way, those people suck and can all GTFO of our trails.

SJ, I don't think the original thread has to do with yielding as much as it does with access. I gladly yield to horses and hikers (with or without the Rucksack and Hiking pole) but that's a two way exchange. They have to (when conditions allow) create a path for other trail users to go around. I'll yield to an individual or group walking single file down single track, I do object when they walk 3-4 abreast and force me to leave the trail. Same with other cyclists, if I can't pass because the trail is too narrow I'll gladly wait, just don't lay your bike sideways across a 3' trail so you can change a tube unless you want your bike bunny-hopped (which the Fargo does really well by the way). You point is taken though and we do have an obligation to represent.

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shining_trapezoid View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ph-lg-tan-blkmane.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	895474
    Anyone riding that thing definitely has the right of way over anyone!

I like this place

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

I don't know if it's an "old" sign because I've seen them posted on trails here in CO while on recent rides.

Unless I totally misunderstood your post, which is always a possibility. If so, disregard my comment.

mtbr member

Hope

Well, I gotta defend the other guy in this case. I just had a pretty bad crash and had to make stops here and there to get the blood out of my mouth. I stopped and suddenly this douche was yelling from behind me and almost ran into me. Sorry, but if you ride on public trails, there will be other people. If that bothers you, then you have to buy a couple of acres and make your own trails. People may have to stop for various reasons. In my case, my least problem was if other bikers might have to slow down and go around me. I was busy getting leaves and wood out of my wound.

Later, I heard the guy in the parking lot joking about how he almost ran over a child and how he lost his "awesome speed" because of the kid. Although 90% of people on this trail use it for biking, it is a public trail and others are allowed on it as well. Again, if this bothers you that much, you gotta ride on your own property.

P.s.: If I would not have had this crash that forced me to experience the perspective of the person who is actually stopping on the trail, then I would probably be on your side. Lol

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast