Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 177
  1. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    50
    The more you ride, the more you'll get used to some of the rude, and sometimes downright crazy trail behavior you come across.

    A couple years back I was 'enjoying' a notoriously long and painful climb on a local trail when I came across a group of about 15-20 Indians (from India, not Native Americans) hiking in what I can only assume was tradition Indian clothing; colorful dresses, sandals, slacks, blazers, etc.... Considering we were in the middle of the Pennsylvanian wilderness on one of the most popular mountain bike trail networks in the state, you can image how out of place these folks were.

    They were all very polite, and moved to the side as I huffed and puffed my way through. As I'm almost through the group I hear one of them say "Good Job, High-Five!" and he literally holds his hand up in front of me as I was riding past. Never being one to ignore a heart felt "Five!" request I obliged.

    To this day the most surreal and bizarre cycling experience I have ever had.

  2. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    47
    My pet peeve is when people smoke cigarettes at the trail. Selfish basters.

  3. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    47
    My pet peeve is when people smoke cigarettes at the trail. Selfish basters.

  4. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    38
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-05-10 at 11.02.24 PM.png
Views: 625
Size:  373.5 KBName:  Screen Shot 2014-05-10 at 11.06.37 PM.png
Views: 619
Size:  359.6 KBDuring practice race run, was coming down mountain doing 15-20 mph, two geniuses in a blind corner decided to have little conversation sitting on the bikes, blocking the entire trail. Tried to avoid the riders by going around them, but the positioned themselves so there was only a tree to ride into. Went into tree at 15 mph, and wheel went boom. Would later wack wheel back into place, and continue to ride the rest of the day with cracked rim. (not as aggressively, never got to do race run). Either way, if your blocking the trail, and you know people are doing practice race runs right and left down it, get the hell out of the way of the trail.

  5. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dagenhay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by Br80 View Post
    A perfect example of the lack of tolerance for other trail users that creates every bit of trail conflict that exists.
    Maybe I should clarify, I didn't actually say those things to them. I didn't say one word to them. I stopped, waited until they moved enough for me to squeeze by them. In fact, the guy whose hand is on the left of the picture told me when I could go. So I tolerated them, I went around them. So how do you see this as trail conflict? I didn't say anything to them, they moved some, I rode the rest of the way around them. What do you define as trail conflict, me not liking how others ride or stand around.

    Far from a perfect example of lack of tolerance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Br80 View Post
    The trail does not belong to you. It could be as easy as you slightly adjusting your line. If the presence of other trail users is really affecting you enjoyment on the trail, then ride earlier (or later) or find your own hillside and build your own trail so you can be all by yourself. The rest of us will continue to ride amongst each other in a more perfect harmony without you.
    Never said the trail belongs to me. I did adjust my line to go around them. However, why should I have to adjust my line to accomodate them but they don't need to move to accomodate me?

    I do ride early and late to avoid crowds. I rode at 7am and 7pm today. I have helped build the features on this trail and I know for a fact that none of these guys have helped. It's on private land and neither them, myself or you have any right to tell someone they can't ride it. I've never told anyone not to ride here. You on the other hand have told me to find my own hillside.

    So how long does someone get to claim ignorance as a noob? This crew has been coming 10-20 riders for over 2 years that I've seen. They've yet to learn any trail etiquette. And I don't plan to teach them it, I follow the common sense trail etiquette and you can't teach someone common sense.
    Take Gravity For A Ride

  6. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by kickhorse View Post
    Wow, we went from "hating one guy" to this???
    Because that 1 guy is 80% of the people on my local trails. I think I'm going yo start riding only at night shortly

  7. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,384

    Re: don't you hate that one guy..

    The loop by my house would be really dangerous if people stopped in the middle of it and gathered. There are points where you can move off the trail, but I've seen people just standing in the middle of a rooty and rocky incline and that ****ing sucks.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

  8. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Br80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by dagenhay View Post
    Maybe I should clarify, I didn't actually blah blah blah...
    I'll clarify too...lol

    I didn't say it was a trail conflict. Re read my post.

    The lack of tolerance I was referring to was your post...my perception of your apparent poor attitude and (maybe arbitrarily, but) reflected in your reputation.

    They don't have to move to accommodate you because you didn't ask them too. Its a social skill called "conversation".

    Telling you to find your own hillside was not telling you not to ride anywhere. I don't know, or care to know where you ride. I was merely suggesting that you find peace in some solitude. But I am super pleased to hear that this is a privately owned trail. I usually only ride on public trails.

    If you are not going to pass along what's obviously an empirical understanding of "trail etiquette", than who will? Its the experienced trail user's responsibility to mentor the inexperienced (or ignorant). Whether its a diplomatic conversation to explain why someone's behavior is dangerous to other trail users, or just a quick and tactful comment. Some people do not come with common sense. Its an unfortunate fact of life.

    Br80

  9. #84
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,623
    Quote Originally Posted by kickhorse View Post
    Wow, we went from "hating one guy" to this???
    It only seems bad until you realize his statement was based on location and not race. (He is in Korea)
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

  10. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,474
    Reading this thread makes me realize how fortunate I am to live in a reasonably populated area. Some of the trails described here sound like they could do with traffic signals and on/off ramps, I could stop and play a game of chess in the middle of the trails I ride.

  11. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    It only seems bad until you realize his statement was based on location and not race. (He is in Korea)
    100% correct and if they were in the USA, they may feel the same about the way we are. I don't know how they could think that, but they probably would.

  12. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzer16 View Post

    Do you seriously never stop on the trail without dragging your bike off the trail?
    No I don't. I really don't understand why it's so hard to find an appropriate place to pull off the trail and do whatever you want to do. I definitely agree with the OP that it's super annoying. Right up there with people that race/chase unknowing riders.

    We aren't talking about hikers, runners, break downs, or crashes. We're talking about that guy or group of guys that are stopped mid trail for no real good reason. If there is room for me to ride off the trail around you, there is enough room for you to get off the trail. You say drag like it's some crazy amount of work beyond the actual riding off road. If you're going slower than everyone else, the courteous thing is allow people to pass where appropriate/safe.

    If someone is crashed or broken I'll offer them help or ask if he/she is OK. It's all just part of being a courteous person. These are the same guys who just ride past a crash or a break down with "That sucks", eyes forward.

  13. #88
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,879
    Quote Originally Posted by crutton View Post
    that is just standing right on the trail? like cmon dude i gotta go through!
    just happened to me today, i had good speed ,i make a sharp turn and i brake so hard i nearly fell of my bike because some dudes right there in the middle of the trail
    AZ, what are you doing over here in Passion?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

  14. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3

    Thanks Moonshine...

    Moonshine - I, for one, appreciate you speaking up. I agree, it's painful when someone does this but on rare occasion I find myself violating some kind of trail code simply b/c I'm experiencing an adrenaline stoke, forgetting all etiquette, and become totally self-centered. So, apologies in advance to my MTB brothers and sisters. If I block your trail please just assume I'm blinded by the high. I would never purposefully interrupt your stoke - but I may do it by accident.

  15. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,071
    The vast majority of the time, people do these sorts of things by accident more than by design. It rarely because they're just trying to be obnoxious.

  16. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mevadus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    143
    I really hope those two knuckleheads realized their wrong, and apologized. You could have been hurt pretty bad.

  17. #92
    I like bikes.
    Reputation: Dirtydogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    This never happens to me, I just bunny hop them, once I bunny hopped a kid and a dog!

    Sounds like you need to work on your tech skills, if you rode a 26" bike you would learn to ride properly.
    Ohh boy... This is just asking for trouble..lol


    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    The vast majority of the time, people do these sorts of things by accident more than by design. It rarely because they're just trying to be obnoxious.
    Yeah, but ignorance is still no excuse. The fact you are walking obliviously on a trail does not make it OK. This to me is being ignorant of your surroundings.
    Be oblivious in your own house, but when you are in public places that can involve others, pay the frick attention! It's a little thing called courtesy.


    Lastly, if it's either run into someone or off the trail into a tree. I'm gonna brace to plow them. Same as what i would do in my car. You go off the road and hit a tree and your the only one left with damage that you have to pay for. Nope. not this guy!
    Karakoram...ZS44, X-Fusion, Freq i23, Tioga's, Shadow & XT,Shim Hydro 180/160, MG-1 pedals & more.

  18. #93
    RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT
    Reputation: jamesd1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    122
    I hate when i hear people complain about useless crap. I would love to be on a trail right now, I work in the oil field 12hrs a day 7days a week so anytime i get to hit a trail is a blessing and dont care if someone gets in my way. I will just go around and enjoy the other hundreds of miles of trail there not on

  19. #94
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,623
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd1980 View Post
    I hate when i hear people complain about useless crap. I would love to be on a trail right now, I work in the oil field 12hrs a day 7days a week so anytime i get to hit a trail is a blessing and dont care if someone gets in my way. I will just go around and enjoy the other hundreds of miles of trail there not on
    So you show your hatred for people venting about their first world problems by venting your first world problem.

    On the flip side, there is some guy out there that would feel just having a job is a blessing and they wouldn't care if they had to spend 12 hours a day 7 days a week on an oil rig.

    FYI as said in prior posts and shown by the pictures above, people who are oblivious of their surroundings standing on the trails and blocking it are a danger to other trail users. That being said, it really isn't useless to get upset about it. For somebody like me who has a physical job it could cause me to be out of work and then I would be one of those guys just wishing I had a job.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

  20. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    The vast majority of the time, people do these sorts of things by accident more than by design. It rarely because they're just trying to be obnoxious.
    Well said. Allot of folks who dont ride, dont realize what they are doing to those who do. Just chill and have fun, we all F up here and there.
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

  21. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shining_trapezoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by onegearaddict View Post
    As I'm almost through the group I hear one of them say "Good Job, High-Five!" and he literally holds his hand up in front of me as I was riding past. Never being one to ignore a heart felt "Five!" request I obliged.

    To this day the most surreal and bizarre cycling experience I have ever had.
    Awesome.

  22. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by onegearaddict View Post
    As I'm almost through the group I hear one of them say "Good Job, High-Five!" and he literally holds his hand up in front of me as I was riding past. Never being one to ignore a heart felt "Five!" request I obliged.
    I was road riding once when I heard, "Nice BRO! High Five!" I was like "what?" and looked to my left and there was someone on a Suzuki GSXR 600 holding it out there. It was pretty awesome 20 mph high five.

  23. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Fvck that, I am going to cut the next mother fvcker that ruins my flow.
    This made me literally lol.

  24. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flamingtaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    434
    We have trail days for our scout troop, and I am often riding with 10-12 scouts and 2-3 other leaders. I take the head of the group to control speed and have become so used to calling out corners and giving advance notice to people standing on the trail that I do it all the time. Headphone type doesn't matter when you speak up, they will hear you if you are trying to be heard. Other than trail noobs that can get confused at first, a loud "CLEAR THE TRAIL, PLEASE!" will do exactly that 99.5% of the time. Most riders that linger around a favorite section are respectful of those that are riding through.

    You've got to put effort into it. Specific needs should be expressed, and never assume they know what to do. For example, if I plan to hit a berm in a corner, I tell them to clear the berm and trail. At time when stopped we can forget our positioning on the trail, so I might as a group to move to the inside, or let them know which line I am taking, etc.

  25. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    81
    generally speaking, if you think everybody around you is an ash hole, you're probably the ash hole.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Found this, I hate the people who hate bikers
    By chaloopy in forum Passion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 2 Weeks Ago, 08:54 AM
  2. What's with all the hate?
    By TwoShoes in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 09-11-2013, 06:32 PM
  3. Songs You Love To Hate, and Hate To Love?
    By petey15 in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-18-2013, 09:12 PM
  4. I hate the LBS, I hate where I live
    By Drth Vadr in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 10:05 AM
  5. I HATE when this happens
    By Sinker in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-30-2011, 06:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •