Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crutton View Post
    no he was actually texting
    you have my permission to track his a$$ down and biotch slap him silly.

You are supposed to be riding, not txting. I'd say leave the phone in the car, but it serves an emergency purpose
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    I don't let any oblivious person 'ruin' my ride, but....

Why is it not a natural instinct to move to side of the trail if you are going to voluntarily stop?

I have never intentionally stopped and stood there with my bike in the middle of a trail. Never. Not once. Why would I? What is so hard about moving over a foot or two? Is it that exhausting to do so?

Its like drivers switching lanes with no signal. Is it that far of a reach to the turn stalk? Is it going to cause a cramp? No. Its just simple inconsideration. Why make an effort FOR somebody else? What's in it for ME?

And if its a part of the trail where there are no places to move over...don't stop!!

I have a friend who I ride very rarely with now because he HAS TO wear an earbud and just can't wait to read that critical text message. Gotta stop NOW and right here...in the middle of the trail. I've chastised him multiple times for it. Its completely embarrassing. I've had to push him off the trail at times.

Most offenders just can't think outside of themselves and probably won't ever change.

However, I feel we need to remind them that the world doesn't revolve around them wherever possible. Ignoring/tolerating the behavior certainly won't change it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    So, you should stand at the landing zone of a jump? That's where your stand? No. You stand on the edges of the trail. He didn't take them out, they took him out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

It's a joke headline.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzer16 View Post
    Unless its a Mountain biking specific trail you shouldnt even go into a ride with a mindset like that. Multi-use means families hiking or people walking dogs. Mountain biking is adrenaline pumping, I get it, but hiking is for people to unwind.

Would you be so upset about a hiker not diving off the trail as you come ripping around a corner? I hope not.

Do you seriously never stop on the trail without dragging your bike off the trail?
    First off if I ever stop on the trail I am either
    a) Waiting for somebody to catch up. In which case I look for other users to make sure I am not in the way.
    b) Have a mechanical and pull off accordingly as to not block other trail users.

No to address people in my way.

Other trail users (runners, hikers, equestrians) don't bother me. I slow down for them, say hello, act courteous, etc. I respect their rights to the and try to impede their use as little as possible. I expect the same.

Somebody in the middle of the trail oblivious and selfishly ignoring other peoples rights to the trail in order to send text messages gets no respect from me and yes they deserve to be publicly shammed.

Hope the difference clears things up for you .
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Rogue Exterminator
    Oh yeah, and if I slow down for a runner and announce myself but they fail to move because their headphones are in and they can't hear me, I blast through them.

I am overly courteous to everyone until I realize that they are rude and then I am overly rude back.

Resident Gear Head

Re: don't you hate that one guy..

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    I am overly courteous to everyone until I realize that they are rude and then I am overly rude back.
    Im gonna sound like a hippie here but try not to spread the rudeness/hate, instead, just squash it.

On topic, I sometimes have to stop on the trail and realize I am in the middle and move over, but I have never gotten in someones way. The thing that irritates me is when a person going downhill doesn't want to unclip or stop so they just go off trail and widen in. Because this always happens I usually am the one that unclips, puts a fooy down, and takes the step aside

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    I could be on a six foot wide trail, in the deep woods, with a half mile of trail visible to me in both directions, and I won't stop in the middle of the trail for fear of not hearing someone coming.

And in those moments, when there are no sounds of people, I soon become suspicious, and start checking trees to see if someone is hiding behind them, watching me.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by provin1327 View Post
    Im gonna sound like a hippie here but try not to spread the rudeness/hate, instead, just squash it.

I hear what you are saying but sometimes it is better to smack the puppy on the nose so they learn a lesson.

If a runner keeps headphones in preventing their awareness to your presence and the blasted a couple times, maybe they will finally figure out to turn them down, take one out or better yet, just leave them at home.

Same for a guy texting on the trail. I get that sometimes it is necessary. I have a friend that is tech support and sometimes on call. Even though the text can wait, sometimes due to fading signals in the forest, you just need to answer it where you can. However step off the trail and do it. If I see it, I am going to yell coming through but I am not going to slow down a lot. Maybe he will learn that it is unacceptable practice and next time he will step off the trail to do it.

Or you can just go all hippie zen and they will keep doing it, Then someday when they are in the corner of gnarly downhill cause injury because somebody doesn't see them in time.
    And before anyone says you can always inform them peacefully, try it a few times. It will eventually end you up in a fight.

Just an opinion of differences on how to handle a situation. I will agree that two wrongs don't make a right but it may prevent further wrongs in the future.

mtbr member
    I try to ride when others aren't there. Early morning, just before dark, after dark with lights. Last night's ride was in a wet fog, just before dark, so I figured there would be no one riding. I was wrong. At the top of the downhill section there were a few others around. To start the downhill section there is a stepdown, a small hit, a corner, a right hip, a left hip, a right hip and another left hip, all within about 100 yards. Many people including myself session this section, pushing back up after each run. A couple of guys there last night were calling their drop ins, which I thought was funny because they weren't hitting the stepdown and therefore had clear sight to see no one was below them. I joked with my buddy about them calling their drop in and he said at least they are being cautious. So I decide to call my drop in, especially because the stepdown which I was hitting doesn't have a clear line of sight, figured these guys might be pushing back up. I hit the stepdown, small hit, come around the corner, start hitting the hips jumps and here they are walking their bikes side by side in front of the last hip. They had a good 50 yards to figure out I was coming, but continued to block the trail. So I stopped short of hitting the last hip. I thought it was funny that they cared enough to call their drop in, but were oblivious to the fact that I was coming on them, when I also called my drop in. Basically, it does no good to call your drop in if others aren't paying attention anyway.
    Take Gravity For A Ride

mtbr member
    Well said Willie.

Yes: there are morons on the trail, just like there are morons in front of your computers.

The only thing I get irritated at when I am riding is my diet over the past 25 years and the incessant clicking and ticking of my drivetrain and rear wheel.

Cheers to Willie for putting this in perspective!

Br80

mtbr member
    I honestly think this is so simple! Courtesy and Respect go BOTH ways. Riders/Hikers/Equestrian/Cell Addicts/etc.

If you don't have respect, you simply don't get any back, and you treat others as you want to be treated.

Sh**t, now who sounds like a hippie??
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 3

"You will never ride alone"

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Br80 View Post
    Well said Willie.

Yes: there are morons on the trail, just like there are morons in front of your computers.
    The difference is that the morons on the trail can actually effect your ride and even get somebody hurt. You can't choose to not have them in your way.

Morons on the computer you can simply ignore if you so chose.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I honestly think this is so simple! Courtesy and Respect go BOTH ways. Riders/Hikers/Equestrian/Cell Addicts/etc.

If you don't have respect, you simply don't get any back, and you treat others as you want to be treated.

Sh**t, now who sounds like a hippie??
    Exactly and it isn't being a hippie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Nah bro, I'm calling big BS on this one. Your so full of ****, your eyes are brown. If he was in the middle of the trail texting, you have have added that little texting detail in the OP. But, someone comes up with a good excuse for why he might have been in the middle of the trail and all of a sudden the dude was texting. **** dude, how stupid do you think we are?
    yo shut the **** up stop hating you goofy mother****er

mtbr member
    I can't stand running into this instant crowd on the trail.
    1) Get on your bike and ride the trail, then you won't be in my way.
    2) If you want to stand there and watch others ride move yourselves and your bikes well off the trail, don't make me squeeze through your group.
    3) Don't assume you know what line I am taking.
    4) Don't tell me when I can go when you're standing in my line, insinuating that I should go around you

don't you hate that one guy..-crowded-trail.jpg
    Take Gravity For A Ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well I had two fun hikers, one I was peddling slowly behind , trailing about 5 feet and he stopped, I startled him and he almost swung on me. Was wearing headphones, not a clue what was around him.

Second hiker, headphones again, trailing him on single track and he stopped (figured he finally heard me) uphill with roots , tire slipped and I crashed. Was trapped against a tree, what fun. Then he walked off, didn't know I was behind him.

A few other encounters, the normal. Most Koreans seem to hike with there heads buried far up their a.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I know that I personally and a fairly courteous rider. Often looking behind me just to make sure someone faster isn't coming along. I am out there to have fun and don't want to ruin someone else's fun because I'm in the way. After all, plenty of riders are faster. If I have to stop for any reason I am off to the side of the trail.

I want to expect that most people are courteous in some form or another but we all know that doesn't happen. People on public shared trails that wear headphones is what kills me. Making not even an attempt to hear whats around them.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    This to me is why trails should not be mixed use trails, hikers using headphones who do not choose to use one side of trail only are a nuisance , stop being lazy and just walk on the left or right side of trail do not assume your the only people using the trail, they all want us to use bells to warn of our presence on the trail but refuse to pay attention to their surroundings? And to me other cyclists who have to stop on trail for any reason I myself assume any moment someone else can come up behind or in front of me I get to as far as possible to one side of trail and keep an eye out while I am hydrating or adjusting my bike etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm sure at times I've been bothered by people stopped and blocking the trail, but it's not something I remember for long. I can't remember a specific instance.

What do remember though, are the people who yell at me for yielding right away to them, when I had right of way. In the 15+ years I've been mountain biking, this has happened 3 times. Specifically, I've been yelled at by riders coming downhill, when as the upward bound rider, I moved aside.

The last time it happened, a large group was coming down hill, and I was slogging along at a recovery pace. I didn't know what the group was going to do. I didn't know them or what their abilities were. Since I was at the bottom of the climb, I stepped aside. The leader yelled at me, saying "uphill direction has right of way." Frankly, it wasn't really clear that he was going to yield at all as he blasted by.

This just doesn't make any sense to me. If I'm just slogging uphill at a slow pace, I'm happy to move aside and let another rider enjoy an unfettered descent. Even if I did assert my right away, I might not enjoy them blasting by me as close as they dare. Maybe I'm enjoying their descent vicariously, and want to stop and watch.

In general I believe in sticking to right of way rules, because it's confusing if people make up rules as they go. Still, I don't think it's unreasonable for a right of way rider to yield on occasion.

For example, many other times, a slow rider allows an overtaking rider to pass. When this occurs, the overtaking rider is always grateful. If the slow rider doesn't yield, that's basically the case the original poster brought up.

Redcoat
    Quote Originally Posted by crutton View Post
    that is just standing right on the trail? like cmon dude i gotta go through!
    just happened to me today, i had good speed ,i make a sharp turn and i brake so hard i nearly fell of my bike because some dudes right there in the middle of the trail
    Poor trail manners on your part pal for not being aware that another rider could be coming your way that you couldnt see and slowing down just in case.

well admitted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dagenhay View Post
    I can't stand running into this instant crowd on the trail.
    1) Get on your bike and ride the trail, then you won't be in my way.
    2) If you want to stand there and watch others ride move yourselves and your bikes well off the trail, don't make me squeeze through your group.
    3) Don't assume you know what line I am taking.
    4) Don't tell me when I can go when you're standing in my line, insinuating that I should go around you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crowded Trail.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	892208
    Me me me me me me my...

A perfect example of the lack of tolerance for other trail users that creates every bit of trail conflict that exists.

I was disc golfing the other day when a perfect analog of yourself was angry at a noob that was not aware of "disc golf etiquette" DISC GOLF!!! I was embarrassed for the guy, misguided as he was.

At some point you lose sight of the point of recreation, and in your case respect for others trying to enjoy the same thing that you are. The trail does not belong to you. It could be as easy as you slightly adjusting your line. If the presence of other trail users is really affecting you enjoyment on the trail, then ride earlier (or later) or find your own hillside and build your own trail so you can be all by yourself. The rest of us will continue to ride amongst each other in a more perfect harmony without you.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    The difference is that the morons on the trail can actually effect your ride and even get somebody hurt. You can't choose to not have them in your way.

Morons on the computer you can simply ignore if you so chose.
    You said it yourself: "you can't choose to not have them in your way." Exactly! its what's called an "objective hazard" and its a part of riding on public trails. Lots of things can injure you on the trail; you do your best to mitigate them and move on having the most fun you possibly can. That's the point isn't it? Otherwise we could all stay on our treadmills in the garage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The best is when that one guy has fkn earphones in and cant hear you! GAH RAGE!
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Dumb asses that go the wrong way on directional trails!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    Most Koreans seem to hike with there heads buried far up their a.....
    Wow, we went from "hating one guy" to this???

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast