mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Dogtown & Z Boys

Anyone ever seen that documentary by Stacy Peralta? I was wondering if there are any mountain bike documentaries comparable in style to that one. Documentation of a grass roots movement to a new sport? To them skateboarding was born out of surfing and to me it seems like mountain biking was born out of just wanting to bicycle on rugged terrain. A documentary on the industry starters and the guys that were large and in charge back then? I really enjoyed the Dog Town and Z Boys documentary.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: Dogtown & Z Boys

Klunkers.
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I watched (Dog town and Z boys) several years ago. i liked it at first, but alot of the things they were doing at the time seemed kinda corny. I know though, I need to remember that they were the first ones doing that type of stuff on skateboards at the time. The part about the swimming pool was kinda cool though.

The Klunkers movie is kinda the same way. You have to envison the things they are doing in the video have never been done before.

Im not trying to take anything away from either movie, I liked them both. If you have Netflix, they have mountain bike movies every now and then.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I do not mean to hijack this thread, but you may also be interested in a documentary on the history of BMX called Joe Kid on a Stingray. It is done in the same style you describe, showing the grass roots efforts of a few key players and some game changing events.

mtbr member
    joe kid is fun viewing. if you're into anything on 2 wheels, op, try "on any sunday". for laughs try "bmx bandits" as well.

Creepy tooth fairy

Different cultures

I came from a skateboarding background. I got into it around the same time as all of the Dogtown stuff got going in the late 70's. Skateboarding and punk rock went hand in hand for me just as it did for those guys. The Klunkers crowd had more of the hippie-esque vibe even though the spirit was similar. I found that the two sports (lifestyles?) have much in common and I ride bikes the same way I skated. You view the world looking for ways to get aggressive and radical. Sure, it's relative but the transition or lines between the two are pretty damn close.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

jrm
    mtbr member
    Pedal Driven is a good doc. My fav non MTB doc is Riding Giants which was also wrote by Stacy Peralta
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Oh cool, I'll have to check that out. I wonder if he mountain bikes also then.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Dogtown & Z Boys

Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter View Post
    Klunkers.
    Agreed. Klunkers is the best (possibly only) doco about the roots of MTB.

Retro on Steroids
    Spelled "Klunkerz."
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

Retro on Steroids
    If there was a connection between the two worlds of skating and klunking in the '70s, I was it. I had passes to most of the skateparks in California, skated Stacy's "Skatercross" park in Reseda a bunch. Hung up the stick when I broke my leg at Victoria skatepark in Milpitas. I was 33, and that was 34 years ago. I have always been the oldest person I know who skated vertical. I was already 28 years old when the urethane wheel revolutionized the sport, a late age to take up anything that intense.

I wore my skate gear, at least the knee and elbow pads, in the Repack races, and they saved me from painful damage.

Filmmaker Billy Savage, who directed Klunkerz (Hi Bill), is a much better skater than I ever got to be.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Oh cool Repack thanks for the short history. I used to skateboard all the time in Jr. High and High School. I even had a longboard so that me and some friends could bomb some hills and get me to school on. However, I get way more satisfaction of control and self improvement from mountain biking than skateboarding, This might be because I feel like I'm better at mountain biking. Never did BMX though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you do check out my film, be sure to watch the DVD extra, "Dogtown to Marin with Ray Flores." Ray shot a bunch of the footage in both the Dogtown and Klunkerz films. There's an interesting connection between the two sports and the people involved... like RR, for instance. The section has a bunch of pool skating footage of Tony, Jay, Stacy, etc. from '75-'78 that wasn't in Dogtown and Z-Boys. If you buy a disc off of my website, I throw a few other things in the package that you might enjoy. Ride on!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    If there was a connection between the two worlds of skating and klunking in the '70s, I was it. I had passes to most of the skateparks in California, skated Stacy's "Skatercross" park in Reseda a bunch. Hung up the stick when I broke my leg at Victoria skatepark in Milpitas. I was 33, and that was 34 years ago. I have always been the oldest person I know who skated vertical. I was already 28 years old when the urethane wheel revolutionized the sport, a late age to take up anything that intense.

I wore my skate gear, at least the knee and elbow pads, in the Repack races, and they saved me from painful damage.

Filmmaker Billy Savage, who directed Klunkerz (Hi Bill), is a much better skater than I ever got to be.
    Having grown up in milipitas in the 70's-90's, where was the skatepark at? i'm presuming where the waterslides were?