Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dogs with Passion

650K views 3K replies 961 participants last post by  socal_jack 
#1 ·
Not sure about yours but mine go bonkers when I say BIKE.

Attachments

See less See more
#1,981 ·
Loyal to the end...

August 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Hikers find body of cyclist killed in logging-road crash

Posted by Nick Provenza

BELFAIR, Mason County (AP) - A woman hiking with two sons on a logging road near Belfair on Monday discovered the body of a man who died in a bicycle crash.

The Mason County Sheriff's Office says it was apparent at the scene that the man had crashed his bicycle. An autopsy showed 34-year-old Jared W. Shumaker, of Belfair, died of head and neck injuries consistent with the accident.

The Olympian reports the hikers came across a barking dog that wanted to be followed. The dog led them to Shumaker's body.

from the Seattle Times
Hikers find body of cyclist killed in logging-road crash | The Today File | Seattle Times

#1,989 ·
Yes my little buddy goes nuts when I just touch the bike. He's an awesome trail dog who get's along with all other dog's and people. He stays on the trail in front of me 15 feet or behind me 15 feet depending on the situation. If I need to pass I always say "watch out buddy" and he moves to the right and I always pass on the left. Then after a technicle section I let him pass me by pulling to the right and he passes on the left. He is a 13 1/2 year old Doberman / Border Collie mix, I call him a Borderman. He is 10 in the photo, and he still goes with me but I just don't go as far now. And yes he still goes nuts if I even touch the bike.

Attachments

#1,992 ·
Looking at all these pics makes me feel sad for my dog... sidelined for a while now with both knees with torn ACL's. First one was operated on and second one in 4 weeks now... sucks big time. Nothing you can do to prevent this kind of injury and it happens. $$$$$ to get fixed too.... gotta love your pal to go through it.

#1,993 ·
injury

This type of thing does happen. Happened to my dog, not biking either. It cost a fortune to repair. Then the other leg suffers same injury, as they ,"vets", didn't bother revealing it is common for them to strain and hurt other leg as other is repaired.
Good luck to your dog!

#2,000 ·
so what have your dogs been doing to develop these injuries?

(just curious and, as mine covers a lot of different ground, as an aid to injury prevention ... the more details, the better)

#2,002 ·
so what have your dogs been doing to develop these injuries?

(just curious and, as mine covers a lot of different ground, as an aid to injury prevention ... the more details, the better)
Nothing out of the ordinary, alittle running around. Nothing special. You know, it is just like any person, you have basic couch potatoes who get torn shoulders doing nothing but office work, and you have some lucky athletes riding bikes who have never had a broken bone or strain.

#2,010 ·
Dogs are prone to sports injuries just like humans. Especially when it is a mixed breed and it may have some genes that cause less than desirable effects along with the pluses. Dogs also need rest and they need to gradually ramp up their effort for best results just like a fat guy getting off the couch. Dogs may not be suited for the activity they are being asked or encouraged to do, not all dogs make suitable running companions for example, it may tear their legs up to run 10 miles off road if it's a heavier working breed.

Many dogs do make great running and mountain biking companions, and once conditioned they can go all day long. We have a mutt (1/2 shepherd 1/2 Shetland sheepdog) that just tore the acl on his left leg, and tore the patella tendon on his right when he jumped off of a bank of a dried river bed into the sand, running out in the woods with me. With mutts you never know exactly what traits it will inherit, it appears our mutt inherited bad knees.

Anyway, I had to carry his 60 lb butt about 1.2 miles out of the woods across my shoulders, he couldn't walk. Heck of a workout, I was soaked in sweat by the time I got to the car, and I had to stop a few times to set him down and rest. I had our other 3 dogs with me, and I'm glad it wasn't our shepherd that went down, he weighs about 106 lbs.

It will be a while before he's up and running again, much less mountain biking or trail running with me. But we're in the same boat, I'm trying to get over an IT band issue that's been keeping me down, so we will recover together.

I'm fortunate the the gf is a vet, so she is of course doing everything on her part for free, and the surgeon that will do the surgery will do so for cost.

My poor little guy :)

Attachments

#2,011 ·
Anyway, I had to carry his 60 lb butt about 1.2 miles out of the woods across my shoulders, he couldn't walk. Heck of a workout, I was soaked in sweat by the time I got to the car, and I had to stop a few times to set him down and rest. I had our other 3 dogs with me, and I'm glad it wasn't our shepherd that went down, he weighs about 106 lbs.
Good luck with the dog. It will be difficult for both of you.

I worry about having to pack out an injured dog. I did it once with a rattle snake bitten Cocker once, and it wasn't easy.

I have thought about making an emergency bike sling to carry an injured dog on. The sling would attach to the ends of the handlebars, and then to the seat or seatpost. If you could keep it tight, I think you could push your bike while balancing the dog on the sling. Patents pending.

#2,016 ·
Meet Zara our 8 month old GSP, she has just started coming out on the trail with me and loves it.
View attachment 844277
View attachment 844278

Also a video of her in action.
Oh man this makes me miss my Dixie girl. We had a GSP rescue that could scoot like nobody's business. Ours had the tail intact too... Is Zara's like a whip? lol

Thanks for the smile.

#2,018 ·
Hehe, when I was a kid, I had a knack for finding nicknames for dogs. We had some family friends with a GSP, and he was a hunting dog. They had his tail cropped as a puppy, and I asked them why (I never understood why you would mutilate dogs with cropping of ears and tails...). They just kind of hemmed and hawed about asthetics, and how it is better when hunting so his tail doesn't rustle the bushes, and such. I was petting him, a goofy, lovable, hyperactive, dope of a dog, scratching at the base of the tail while they told me this. I looked at the all chocolate brown stub and told them 'It looks like a giant poo'.

Bam.

From that point forward, he was 'Pooie'. Dog loved the nickname. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.