Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dogs with Passion

650K views 3K replies 961 participants last post by  socal_jack 
#1 ·
Not sure about yours but mine go bonkers when I say BIKE.

Attachments

See less See more
#2,187 ·
Please keep them safe when near roads. A short bit ago I had to carry one off the road after he ran in front of a car. His owner rode up about 5 minutes later. He said Monty turned around and took off in the opposite direction while he was on a Single Track. Thankfully for Monty, I do believe, it was instantaneous. I still take pause when I ride past that point and when I see any dog off leash near roads. While waiting for his owner to show up I kept a hand on Monty even though he was gone, not sure why.

#2,191 ·
I absolutely love this thread!

My buddy Rocky was a beast in his day... He used to come with me on every ride, regardless of length. His biggest day was a 28 mile through-ride of a local trail. I was definitely more tired after that than he was! Even on downhills he'd keep up surprisingly well (though I'd stop after every minute or so to let him catch up).

About two years ago I got much more serious about riding and my rides started getting faster and longer. After one particularly tough ride I noticed he had torn a pad. This put him on the bench for a couple weeks, until it healed fully... After that he never built back up to where he had been before. Anything over ten miles seems too much for him and usually results in torn pads. I still take him from time to time, because he loves it, but those rides are for him... He doesn't come on my real rides anymore.

It's a little heartbreaking, because I know he's getting old (he's 7 or 8 now), but I really cherish all the riding we did when he was young. I believe, and hope, that all that exercise at a young age will keep him kicking for many years to come. He can still run decent distances with my wife.

Anyway, thanks for the thread and thanks for letting me rant for a second. Here's Rocky resting up after a big day: Brown Comfort Carnivore Dog Interior design

#2,193 ·
Storm

Just like TheDwayyo, my pup used to go on bike rides with me until I wanted to go further and she got left behind for the majority of this summer.

My current situation is I need to take the dog out of the house every Saturday for a few hours. I've been taking her biking during that time and she's been loving it. Her paws get sore and she gets tired so I've been trying to start slow and work up. Here past two rides have been 10 miles and 7 miles.

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame

She's super well trained and behaved for being deaf. Since we go slower, I try to yield to anyone who is behind or in front of me. Strom will just sit next to me on the side of the trail. All the riders and hikers have always said "thank you" or "nice dog". It's surprising what being courteous gets you.

#2,196 ·
First time on the trail yesterday. Barley wanted to smell everything and chase anything we spooked in the woods, but overall much better than I thought he would do. He is 16lbs with suprising speed and jumping ability. He handle a short 3 mile ride pretty well, but I'll have to build up his endurance before I commit him to longer rides.
Wood Dog breed Dog Carnivore Forest

Dog breed Dog Carnivore Soil Forest

#2,203 ·
And so it begins..again. Meet Molly, a Border Collie mix/rescue. Got her just last night. 5 weeks old today. she'll be the new backpacking, mtbing, hiking, etc companion. My other 3 dogs aren't too sure atm, but they'll get over it. They always do.

#2,207 ·
Just 35 F at ride time. We hadn't gotten out much, but with a full weekend ahead, and not enough exercise recently we just had to get out there. Cold or not (for a 55yo).

This is one happy dog, and I am one happy rider. There is not much better than riding with dog as your co-pilot, I don't need to tell you.

A photo from trail's end. When she's more experienced I hope to take some from in the single track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.