Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34 74 80 81 82 83 84
Results 2,076 to 2,082 of 2082
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    A tired V?!?! Sometimes I think I've tired ours out, but by the time we get home she's running in circles again...
    I think it was due to the heat. We had rode that far during the spring and he was fine. But when he got home, he was ready to play more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    I love my dogs, but I can't take them on the trail (the male dachshund Shadow probably couldn't keep up, that, and he's losing his vision), and Bear (the female Rhodesian Ridgeback/Dachshund mix) likes to herd me on my bike when I'm test riding in the backyard. But here are pics anyway

aww... I googled Rhodesian Boxer mix to show someone the comparison between my Stella and others when I came across Bear. My Stella looks a lot like Bear and wears the same dancing bear collar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ridgebacks are generally considered prefect mtn bike dogs. So don't be too pessimistic about Bear. Maybe take her out on a tuesday morning at a safe (for dogs that don't know what they are doing around mtn bikes) trail area and test Bear out. You might be pleasantly surprised. Dogs loving running with the Pack! Bring a friend or two along that knows what the plan is as well (if they have a trail dog, even better), helps to create a pack.
    "I think it's rad, when Balls beats Natural talent" - Shaun Palmer

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Six Pack View Post
    Indy is a German Shepherd and he runs trail like it's his job. If I say "ride" or "bike", he goes crazy. If I touch my bike, he runs to the front door and waits.

To the dog haters out there...
    Indy is trained to run right behind my bike and as long as you leave him alone, he probably won't even pay any attention to you because he is too busy doing his job. He has never caused anyone any problems on the trail. AND I haven't had issues with anyone else's dogs when I ride.

To the dog owners out there...
    Show respect to others by making sure your dog is properly trained. Riding buddies, other trail users and even YOUR DOG will respect you more. Use your head. Leave the pooch at home when you know it is the right thing to do.

I wish I really could be as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.
    Love German Shepherds.
    Would get one tomorrow but a family member is allergic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnryder56 View Post
    Ridgebacks are generally considered prefect mtn bike dogs. So don't be too pessimistic about Bear. Maybe take her out on a tuesday morning at a safe (for dogs that don't know what they are doing around mtn bikes) trail area and test Bear out. You might be pleasantly surprised. Dogs loving running with the Pack! Bring a friend or two along that knows what the plan is as well (if they have a trail dog, even better), helps to create a pack.
    Yep! They're fast, and have great stamina. My border collie tries to herd me when I ride in the back yard, too, but once I get him out from behind the fence he just wants to run. Doesn't have a ton of long stamina, though. I get skittish about anything longer than 10 miles in ideal conditions.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '14 RIP 9
    '12 RIP 9
    '08 GF Ferrous 29
    '02 Trek 4300

mtbr member
    border collies are however supposed to have exceptional stamina - made to run the fells all day long herding sheep.

mine seems to be no exception, but she also needs to be entertained - just riding out on fire roads at a constant 15+ km/hr and with no play stops quickly becomes boring for her and she visibly looses interest. change to single trails with play stops and swimming opportunities every 3 to 5 km and she'll run 40km (on soft woodland floor, mostly out front).

on steep and rocky terrain, as here in the alps, we do shorter 25km routes in order to help protect joints and paws - although (typical border collie) she would go further if i let her. all routes are thus lots of riding up (steep and slow) with trails back down (so fast but with frequent pauses), and she gets to drink and/or swim at every opportunity.

we've been doing this for 3 years, and so far so good.

Moderator Moderator
    Me and Keeper at Millstone (VT)

Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34 74 80 81 82 83 84