Page 81 of 89 FirstFirst ... 31 71 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 2213
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Rode about 20 miles with my pup on Saturday. He hates having to wait for me while I take pictures. Hopped in the water for some fetch too.
    Attachment 840712Attachment 840713

Looks like Tahoe... I wanna go for a swim too~! I miss that place! What a lucky pup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Rode about 20 miles with my pup on Saturday. He hates having to wait for me while I take pictures. Hopped in the water for some fetch too.
    Is that a Rhodesian Ridgeback?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    My guess is a Vizsla
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    so what have your dogs been doing to develop these injuries?

(just curious and, as mine covers a lot of different ground, as an aid to injury prevention ... the more details, the better)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    Good luck with your dog's ACL. I had my dog get his fixed back in March. It was very difficult for him to not go on bike rides for 5 months, thankfully, my wife usually took him for a walk before I left home with the other dog. He is now back to 100% maniac. We are holding our breath on the other knee.

Same procedure for my Maggy. I'm sure she'll be back to her full-on running form sometime in February. She's worth the wait.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty View Post

(just curious and, as mine covers a lot of different ground, as an aid to injury prevention ... the more details, the better)
    Nothing out of the ordinary, alittle running around. Nothing special. You know, it is just like any person, you have basic couch potatoes who get torn shoulders doing nothing but office work, and you have some lucky athletes riding bikes who have never had a broken bone or strain.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by ragetty View Post

My vet says that some dogs are just more susceptible to ACL injuries than others. If your dog does damage the ACL, there is up to a 60% chance that it will damage the other.

When they do this type of repair, they cut the bone in a semi circle, then rotate it and add the plate. It creates more of a ledge for the upper bone to sit on.

My dog is a total maniac on the trail. On open trails with sagebrush or creosote, he runs off the trail and jumps or dodges the bushes. He was not on a bike ride when he damaged his leg. He jumped off of a 2' tall retaining wall and his left leg hit a mow strip that was buried in the snow.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    My lab has always been very active. Always biking, hiking, snowshoeing, x-country skiing...etc... with us. After going for a swim in a river, she climbed up a rocky, slippery very steep hill and when she got to the top, she was limping badly...

mtbr member
    ok, thx!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    He is a Vizsla. Otherwise known as a Hungarian Vizsla or Magyar Vizsla.

Downhill mountain biking at The Lookout (Swinley Forest) with Amber the Downhill Dog filmed on GoPro - YouTube

NMBP
    Dogs with a passion for the shade.

mtbr member
    Good boy looking after his master's tool

Dogs with Passion-photo-1.jpgDogs with Passion-photo-2.jpg

mtbr member

Mrs. Bigfoot & macgregor

Dogs with Passion-kathymac7.jpg

Mac loves to go along on mountain bike rides. If we ride without him we have to sneak out. Once he sees either of us in a bike helmet he stations himself by the front door!
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

nOOb
    May 2008
    Dogs are prone to sports injuries just like humans. Especially when it is a mixed breed and it may have some genes that cause less than desirable effects along with the pluses. Dogs also need rest and they need to gradually ramp up their effort for best results just like a fat guy getting off the couch. Dogs may not be suited for the activity they are being asked or encouraged to do, not all dogs make suitable running companions for example, it may tear their legs up to run 10 miles off road if it's a heavier working breed.

Many dogs do make great running and mountain biking companions, and once conditioned they can go all day long. We have a mutt (1/2 shepherd 1/2 Shetland sheepdog) that just tore the acl on his left leg, and tore the patella tendon on his right when he jumped off of a bank of a dried river bed into the sand, running out in the woods with me. With mutts you never know exactly what traits it will inherit, it appears our mutt inherited bad knees.

Anyway, I had to carry his 60 lb butt about 1.2 miles out of the woods across my shoulders, he couldn't walk. Heck of a workout, I was soaked in sweat by the time I got to the car, and I had to stop a few times to set him down and rest. I had our other 3 dogs with me, and I'm glad it wasn't our shepherd that went down, he weighs about 106 lbs.

It will be a while before he's up and running again, much less mountain biking or trail running with me. But we're in the same boat, I'm trying to get over an IT band issue that's been keeping me down, so we will recover together.

I'm fortunate the the gf is a vet, so she is of course doing everything on her part for free, and the surgeon that will do the surgery will do so for cost.

My poor little guy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-bachardi.jpg  

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Anyway, I had to carry his 60 lb butt about 1.2 miles out of the woods across my shoulders, he couldn't walk. Heck of a workout, I was soaked in sweat by the time I got to the car, and I had to stop a few times to set him down and rest. I had our other 3 dogs with me, and I'm glad it wasn't our shepherd that went down, he weighs about 106 lbs.
    Good luck with the dog. It will be difficult for both of you.

I worry about having to pack out an injured dog. I did it once with a rattle snake bitten Cocker once, and it wasn't easy.

I have thought about making an emergency bike sling to carry an injured dog on. The sling would attach to the ends of the handlebars, and then to the seat or seatpost. If you could keep it tight, I think you could push your bike while balancing the dog on the sling. Patents pending.

mtbr member
    Meet Zara our 8 month old GSP, she has just started coming out on the trail with me and loves it.
    Dogs with Passion-img_20130831_072621-large-.jpg
    Dogs with Passion-img_20131101_175141-large-.jpg

Also a video of her in action.
    2014 Trek Slash 8
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MEfLAZIWAU-My Trail Dog

mtbr member

Re: Dogs with Passion

Great video. Great dog.

mtbr member
    Zara has some serious passion.

mtbr member
    That is what my Vizsla looks like when we go riding. It's the best. Also, GSPs look weird without a cropped tail. Beautiful dog! She looks like she is having a blast!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FLN75S View Post
    Meet Zara our 8 month old GSP, she has just started coming out on the trail with me and loves it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130831_072621 (Large).jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	844277
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131101_175141 (Large).jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	290.4 KB 
ID:	844278

Also a video of her in action.
    Oh man this makes me miss my Dixie girl. We had a GSP rescue that could scoot like nobody's business. Ours had the tail intact too... Is Zara's like a whip? lol

Thanks for the smile.

mtbr member
    My boy, Leon on a trip to Gooseberry Mesa we took in September. Love looking at all the pictures!

Dogs with Passion-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Hehe, when I was a kid, I had a knack for finding nicknames for dogs. We had some family friends with a GSP, and he was a hunting dog. They had his tail cropped as a puppy, and I asked them why (I never understood why you would mutilate dogs with cropping of ears and tails...). They just kind of hemmed and hawed about asthetics, and how it is better when hunting so his tail doesn't rustle the bushes, and such. I was petting him, a goofy, lovable, hyperactive, dope of a dog, scratching at the base of the tail while they told me this. I looked at the all chocolate brown stub and told them 'It looks like a giant poo'.

Bam.

From that point forward, he was 'Pooie'. Dog loved the nickname.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comments, she really does have some serious Passion for the trails and its a great way to use up some of her crazy energy. I was expecting it to be a lot harder to get her to come along with me but she was a natural and as soon as it goes into single track she doesn't want to stop. Best thing about my local trail is there is always water close by and she loves to swim so its straight in the water after a run.

Yea in NSW (Aus) it's illegal to crop the tail, i can see why they did its a weapon when she gets excited haha.
    2014 Trek Slash 8
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MEfLAZIWAU-My Trail Dog

NMBP
    I have a Border Collie/Aussie that has a docked tail. She tends to freak out other dogs because of the way she hunches down, and with no tail, the dogs can't read her intentions. Tails shouldn't be docked, ears shouldn't be cropped.

I tell my grand kids that the tail cost extra, so I didn't get one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Re: Dogs with Passion

Link broken-fixing it

Page 81 of 89 FirstFirst ... 31 71 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... LastLast