Page 8 of 84 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 ... LastLast
    Slow, Fat and Old
    Aug 2008
    I don't have any action shots, but my 2 mutts love to run with me. The Australian Shepherd mix runs 3 miles for every one I ride. The black and tan isn't quite so fast. He usually trails a good ways behind me. I try to stop at creek crossings as often as possible to let them recover a bit. It has been too hot around here this summer for them to run, but I look forward to the Fall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Great looking pups. I don't take mine biking because they are a little too small and I'm worried they could get seriously hurt. But they sure as heck know what both my hiking backpacks look like and go nuts if they see me get one of them out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GpzGuy
    Looks like a Duck-Tolling Retriever? My second guess is Golden Retriever, but hard to tell from the angle of the shot.
    pretty much, she is half yellow lab and half golden retriever. The only things she actually retrieves though are frisbees and tennis balls.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    My dobergirl: Carat, one year old...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    This is Kona. She is a year old tomorrow (Sept. 15th) and we were told she is a Golden Retriever / Border Collie, we got her at the Humane Society . Most people think she's a flat coat retriever. I take her with us almost every time we ride and she loves it.

mtbr member
    I've certainly enjoyed seeing mine evolve from barely being able to walk one block to running alongside me for 6+miles.

The most recent are from my phone's camera = bad quality

Crash Test Dummy
    Lucy's not much of a trail dog, but she loves going out in the boat!
    It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    This is the best thread in all of MTBR. The photos have given me so much happiness!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    They love to follow me around the trails near the house. I don't bring them out on busy trails though because they tend to freak some people out even though they just want to play.

Slow, Fat and Old
    Aug 2008
    How far do you guys/girls ride with your dogs? Last Spring I was up to about 8 miles with mine, but our first 2 rides out this Fall, they seem totally worn out at about 4-5 miles. Maybe it's still a bit too warm for them. I want them to have fun and get some good exercise, but I also don't want to totally exhaust them. Of course, I know those Iditarod dogs can run 100 miles a day, but they train for it year round.

Pretty in Pink
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebmiller@gmail.com
    How far do you guys/girls ride with your dogs? Last Spring I was up to about 8 miles with mine, but our first 2 rides out this Fall, they seem totally worn out at about 4-5 miles. Maybe it's still a bit too warm for them. I want them to have fun and get some good exercise, but I also don't want to totally exhaust them. Of course, I know those Iditarod dogs can run 100 miles a day, but they train for it year round.
    When we bring out my border collie, and my BF's dobe, we will go for about 10-15 miles, and both dogs want to keep going at the end of the day. Depends on what breed you have, some are runners, and full of energy (i.e border collies, dobermans, boxers, labs, etc..) I mean it also depends on the condition of the dog, if it is a 8 year old hound that has just sat around the house for most of its life, bringing it out on the trails to exercise is just too much like work for them, and they are not in the shape to run that much.

trail addict
    Depends on the dog. When my german shepherd was 2-3 yrs old, he was in great shape and 6-8 miles was no problem. This year he hasn't covered so many miles on a regular basis and even on a cooler day, I can tell that he starts to tire after about 3-4 miles. If in doubt, start easy and your dog's strength and endurance will gradually improve.

Don't forget, dogs don't ever get to coast-they are working uphill and downhill. And they only "sweat" through their mouths and paws.

Your dog would probably nearly run itself to death to be with you, so keep an eye on him/her and be smart about the rides. I made the mistake once this year of running my dog too hard on terrain that he wasn't accustomed to (rockier than normal) and he ended up with some tears in his pads and a limp for 2 days. I felt horrible-I should have realized that trail would be hard on him. Even with tears on his pads, he wanted to go for another ride the very next day (that is dedication), but he had to sit out a few rides and then start again very gradually. He is totally fine again now, but I would hate to ever put him through that again.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    Your tax dollars earn .
    Wrong!

My "rights" are independent of any Gubmint.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member

Man's Best Friend?

My dog and I went for a ride today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u7I8_gGcx4
    Take Gravity For A Ride

mtbr member
    Sara loves it.

Back when she was a pup (or better pampered princess)

aaroncarsara_2.jpg

Older and ready to go

8-8-08 029_2.jpg

My favorite, the thanks dad photo

8-8-08 047_2.jpg

Love to ride with my girl, I have not pushed her much becasue I wanted her to reach the one year mark before we really started doing longer rides. She'll be one year next month

mtbr member
    Last pic sucked this is better

8-8-08 047_3.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Mine is a runner! She loves running with me on the bike, I have to periodically stop and make her rest or else she would run herself to death! But if I ride in a group, or if I'm somewhere I'm not familiar with I don't bring her. I've had a couple close calls with her trying to cut in front of me but that last time I about scared her to death so I think she learned her lesson.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    [QUOTE=davec113]That sucks about your laws... I have worked with my dog enough to trust him around kids, dogs, and horses. Cats and Cows on the other hand are fair game . Sometimes I will have a shock collar on mine if we will be around grazing cattle, etc. but I never really need to use it anymore. There are area where dogs are allowed off the leash, but if the dog cannot follow voice commands it can be an issue.

Hey how well do those shock collars work? Mine listens very well but she sometimes will chase deer and I need to break her of that. She follows voice commands surprisingly well, I can even point a direction with my arm and she will go there. What brand of shock collar did you use?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

My muffin: Luna

Luna is a pit/shepard mix we got at the shelter in El Paso. Because everything is so rocky and spikey we tried some booties. No go. Poor thing slipped everywhere. She loves to ride with us but we limit the hard running as to prevent joint issues when she's older. She's 85lbs.
    I beat my husband at the CreamPuff 100.
    Relavant blog:

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Wrong!

My "rights" are independent of any Gubmint.
    Okey dokey big boy. Whatever you say.

MTB B'dos

Wink I only have loaner dogs

Some awesome action shots in here of your dogs Excellent thread

Sadly I don't own any dogs, only have a small apt, but when I visit CO I get to "adopt" 2 very sweet dogs for the duration of my stay. Kitt and Daisee belong to El Beastro and are super well trained dogs who give no trouble on the trails and who really enjoy going trailing. Daisee is a cattle dog and has stamina out the wazzoo, Kitt is a mix coyote/dingo and isn't quite as fit as Daisee, but loves to run no the less.

On the 401 ;Beast rode behind me (to make sure I didn't fall off the trail and him not know it ) and he kept them behind him just in case I freaked or something and they didn't get in my way to freak me any more than the exposure already was. Then when we reached the end of the exposed section and turned down into some sweet, twisty ST between Aspen he hung back with Kitt, but let Daisee follow me and holy hell is that dog fast; I hit about 25mph max and avg about 18-20mph going down and she was right there behind me the whole time, close enough I could hear her, but far enough to give me room.

Here's a couple pics form my recent CO trip. First is me and them on the 401 in Crested Butte at the edge of the widlerness boundry, then on the decent with 'Beast and them enjoying some time on the river in Gunnison.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have a ridgeback as well.. he weighs in at about 105lbs (very fit)..... He can keep up but his endurance is not as good as my Lab.... he's about the most obedient dog I've ever had though. Very focused. Ridgebacks are really intelligent, and very prone to arthritis because of their size.

My lab is 55lbs and can outrun me on my bike ALL DAY LONG ...

No known cure
    Here's my newest rescue, Barley. He's a one year old Rhodesian Ridgeback and is a natural on the trail. Gustav the Weimaraner, also a rescue, would rather swim than run, but he doesn't miss a ride.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    They broke the mold when Oliver was made.

Loves to run with the bike...Can't get enough.

Due to a new Park Ranger with new policies it's getting harder to run him in the usual places But we find ways.

Page 8 of 84 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 ... LastLast