Page 75 of 89 FirstFirst ... 25 65 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 85 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 2208
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Tao - interesting read, that makes sense, but on the other hand, living in Asia, we have had several strays that we rescued over the years and I personally know of dozens of other rescued strays (not to metion the rescue organisations out here) that feed dogs with rice (mixed with mostly chicken and veggies) exclusively. I have never seen a dog have a problem with rice before, I am sure it must happen, but it seems from my experience to be good stuff for dogs?

Will look into this further, thanks for the link.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motomuppet View Post
    Tao - interesting read, that makes sense, but on the other hand, living in Asia, we have had several strays that we rescued over the years and I personally know of dozens of other rescued strays (not to metion the rescue organisations out here) that feed dogs with rice (mixed with mostly chicken and veggies) exclusively. I have never seen a dog have a problem with rice before, I am sure it must happen, but it seems from my experience to be good stuff for dogs?

Will look into this further, thanks for the link.
    One of the genetic mutations that happened between wolfs and domesticated dogs was an adaption that allowed them to process starches. It's thought that this was possibly a result of wolfs hanging around the outside of villages right as humans were transitioning to an agrarian society (right around the same time we domesticated dogs). They would hang around the margins of humans and eat scraps...and those that could handle it hung around and reproduced.

of course, the story is theoretical, but the genetic difference between wolfs and domesticated dogs is real. Here is an article talking about it:

Agriculture and parting from wolves shaped dog evolution, study finds :: UC Davis News & Information

mtbr member
    Anyone have tips on getting herding dogs to calm down around bikes?

Mine is fine if I'm on my bike, or if my wife is on rollerblades. But if she sees a stranger on wheels she'll lose it 90% of the time. And although her recall is generally pretty good, once she goes to her crazy place there's no getting her back. She's just over a year old, and last summer/fall she was okay with bikes (hated skateboards though), but over the winter she's decided that bikes are her enemy too.

I'm really hoping to work on it once things warm up a bit and there are more bikes out.

Obligatory photo:

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Beautiful Aussie, can't really help but it sounds like she is trying to "herd" the bikes now

mtbr member
    Yeah, part of the problem with winter is that she doesn't see bikes very often, so when she does she completely loses it.

We were at the offleash park on the weekend playing around for an hour, and then a bike went by, and she was gooooooone. Flat out sprint for two blocks with the full intention of taking the guy down (but luckily she doesn't understand chainlink). So frustrating.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Beautiful dog.

My female Border/Aussie is also bad about wanting to chase. She worse with skateboarders than she is with bikes. I found that the best thing to do is to get her attention before she sees them, not always easy to do though. She won't chase bikes while I'm out biking (other than me), but if I'm walking her on a bike trail, I have to be vigilant.

When I'm out on the trail she will come back to me when she knows a bike is coming. My other dog likes to just stand in the way. One training trick that I used is to make the dogs sit whenever anyone comes by me. They get used to knowing that this is what they are suppose to do, so chasing isn't an option. I can't praise treats as rewards enough.

Another trick my dog has developed is that she bites my right foot whenever I start riding. It would probably freak someone else out, but after 4 years of it, I've learned to live with it.

Moderator Moderator
    Yeah, part of the problem with winter is that she doesn't see bikes very often, so when she does she completely loses it.

We were at the offleash park on the weekend playing around for an hour, and then a bike went by, and she was gooooooone. Flat out sprint for two blocks with the full intention of taking the guy down (but luckily she doesn't understand chainlink). So frustrating.
    This will probably require some on-leash work around bikes to teach her she has to ignore them; solicit friends on bikes of necessary and correct her when the bike first gets her attention (alerts to it), not when she is already chasing it, as that is to late to penetrate her "crazy place". I would not even let her look at another bike. Also reward behavior you want, such as sitting/looking at you when a bike goes by. An outlet for appropriate herding can also help, try a herding clinic or lesson if you have anything nearby.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    This will probably require some on-leash work around bikes to teach her she has to ignore them
    In the commute threads I've mentioned that there's a bridge in town that's a bike bottleneck, and I'm planning on spending some time camped out there with her.

Sadly no local herding, but there's a place a few hours away that we're going to try this summer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Looking forward to working more with turning oakley, my boarder collie/lab mix, into a trail dog this upcoming riding season. Hes pretty skiddish, but have been working with him off leash on hikes, which hes been great with. Going to slowly bring my bike back into the mix and then onto multiple bikes.... His most recent picture:

IMG_0940 by nyrangerfan222, on Flickr

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrangerfan222 View Post
    Looking forward to working more with turning oakley, my boarder collie/lab mix, into a trail dog this upcoming riding season. Hes pretty skiddish, but have been working with him off leash on hikes, which hes been great with. Going to slowly bring my bike back into the mix and then onto multiple bikes.... His most recent picture:
    That is a fine looking hound. So serious and thoughtful. 8-)
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You might try a backpack since herding dogs are a working breed.

I have a Border Collie/ Aussie mix that I got from a farm when she was a pup, I got her a Ruffwear Singletrack backpack for when I take her hiking. It does wonders to calm her down and get her to focus. It puts her into "work mode"

She gets bad anxiety also and for those times I have a Thundershirt for her, ends up doing the same thing to her.

mtbr member
    ^ thanks for that. We got her a backpack last fall, but still haven't used it. I'll have to dig it back out. (We did try a thundershirt on her a few times, and she seemed immune...although it did make her look hilarious)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    happy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-img_6188.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ^ thanks for that. We got her a backpack last fall, but still haven't used it. I'll have to dig it back out. (We did try a thundershirt on her a few times, and she seemed immune...although it did make her look hilarious)
    My dog was pissed when I put her thundershirt on for the first time, but oddly she loves having her backpack on. Probably because she knows it means we are going out for a few hours.

I found the thundershirt only works if it's on before she starts getting crazy, otherwise she just goes nuts with a funny pink shirt on.

mtbr member
    Beatiful morning in Denmark. We are starting to agree on how to run next to me in the leash

mtbr member
    Here's my MTbing buddy, after a long downhill.

Here's my yellow, he's 7 and we recently found out he's got hip dysplasia with pretty bad arthritis in his right hip. No more running for him, but he's still my backpacking buddy.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I am building a custom bike for my son so i made some custom headbadges with his dog on it.

http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Bicycle Addict
    This is amazing. Good job.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Dogs with Passion-img_3818.jpg

Gotta buzz him, getting too warm for his winter coat.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 68 Hundred View Post

Gotta buzz him, getting too warm for his winter coat.
    My black dog overheats easily, so I got her trimmed on Friday. On Saturday's ride, I had a hard time keeping her warm.

mtbr member
    May 2007

From yesterday

My dog Sebastian riding along with my buddy one some lightly snow-covered trails at Bavington.

First time out yet this year and he did 10 miles like it was nothing.

Dogs with Passion-525219_10151546539276081_421482188_n.jpg
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Dogs with Passion

Hoping to calm my best bud Ovie down a bit this upcoming season... Would love to get him out on the trails with me. Any suggestions on getting him more comfortable with me on my bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    Here's my yellow

What'd ya do, run the poor guy over? Look at that tire track right up his hind end!!

I'm jealous of you guys. I've got a Newf who would love to go and run with me until his heart or joints just exploded. Obviously I can't take a giant dog like that on long fast (well, somewhat fast) jaunts. And I've got a Springer who's not quite playing with a full deck. One of the most loving dogs I've had, just not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, so taking her off leash would be an adventure!

The Newf:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-smp3040324.jpg  

www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    that picture says it all about her character

solving the anxiety issue is all about distracting them on to something else - work, play, friends - and eventually familiarity and confidence win through ...

Quote Originally Posted by groupbmonster View Post

mtbr member

Bikejor

Fall racing getting ready for winter

Page 75 of 89 FirstFirst ... 25 65 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 85 ... LastLast