Page 73 of 88 FirstFirst ... 23 63 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 83 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 2191
    MTB B'dos
    Again I browse over this thread and admire all the beautiful trail dogs and am thankful for their owners who include them in their lives.

Norman, she does look fast, have you ever clocked her top speed? I rode with a pure "cattle" dog a few years ago and at one point I was hauling ass down the 401 trail in Crested Butte doing anywhere between 20-25mph and she's just cruising on my back wheel, could not believe it and boy could this girl put in the miles. Attached a photo of her below.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    This 40Lb black and tan rocket of fur and fangs has covered a lot of trail.
    She's a 4.5 year old Aussie/Germ Shep mix.
    I got her when she was 8 months old.
    She's and amazing trail dog-yields to oncoming riders, knows what "off trail" means, and will pace off of the back wheel until I tell her to "pin it!", at which point she goes all out.
    We average about 30 miles a week together.
    She's the fastest dog I have ever seen over extended distance.
    20 mile trail rides are no problem in cool weather.
    She's been all over Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, California, and Oregon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-dsc_2678.jpg  

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ^ love these dog pics wish there was a 'like' button

mtbr member
    SVCKURT:
    Picture was taken after the bike park had closed for the season. When there's no trail traffic, I hit the trails with the dog till the snow falls.
    The Natl Forest outside of the bike park is dog friendly. Dogs are allowed leashed on the bike park hiking only trails and dogs are allowed on the gondola.
    Mammoth trails are great. Lots of vertical drop + 2wheel drifts through kitty litter soil. Once the lifts open, I'm on the DH bike till the season closes.

RipRoar:
    I got lucky with this dog. Easiest dog to train I have had. Key factor in her becoming a great trail dog was just the investment of time. There are lots of things specific to certain lessons I wanted to teach, but repetition and time were the main things.
    Interestingly enough, she was the "problem" dog that no one wanted at the dog rescue. She'd been returned after adoption a few times. Her tail was docked before I got her and she had a bad eye injury and several broken teeth on the same side as the injured eye prior to her ending up with me. There's some history there for sure.

LYNX:
    No idea on her top speed. Never clocked her. Her flat out speed is impressive, but the speed she can maintain for distance is unreal. Sometimes she chooses to lead the rides and stays ahead of the bike, sometimes she goes flat out for a bit and then pulls over to let riders pass. She'll stay back if I tell her to follow me. When the weather is cool and she's had a few months of solid riding, she's out in front much of the time. Canine athlete for sure. She gets bored on walks and hikes. The bike seems to provide a pace and variety that works for her.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Trolling.... start your own thread if it bothers you. My dog never leads, and in this part of the country - We have more acres then people.

Death? You a new rider?

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I rode with a pure "cattle" dog a few years ago
    What do you mean by pure cattle dog? My similar looking dog is a good trail dog, but has zero herding instinct. He also prefers to run off the trail. On some trails the most I see of him is the tip of his tail zipping in and out of the sagebrush and junipers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-img_1094-large-.jpg  

Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

MTB B'dos
    As in cattle dog type breed, Healer whatever and sh was bred on a cattle farm and knows how to work in the cattle. Whichever way you slice it, a beautiful girl who's fast as lightening and can run about as long as I cared to ride for. Yours does look quite similar, think it's Aussie Healer they have in, but not a breeder, so not sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    What do you mean by pure cattle dog? My similar looking dog is a good trail dog, but has zero herding instinct. He also prefers to run off the trail. On some trails the most I see of him is the tip of his tail zipping in and out of the sagebrush and junipers.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a jack russell, she def has the energy, but way too little self control. One day I'll get a "real dog" to ride the trails w/ me...

mtbr member
    Trail dogs are awesome!
    Last edited by boostin; 01-15-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: taking care of business!

mtbr member
    Is that rocky top? Trail conditions look great! I thought thered be a bunch of hardpacked ice and snow.
    The torture ends now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have a 1 year old Boxer that loves to get out on the trail for walks, but I can't allow him to run free because he will just take off. Any recommendations for training my dog to follow me on my bike? So then I don't have to walk with him.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wood3 View Post
    I have a 1 year old Boxer that loves to get out on the trail for walks, but I can't allow him to run free because he will just take off. Any recommendations for training my dog to follow me on my bike? So then I don't have to walk with him.
    There are a few guides out there but the basics are to work on his recall a lot.

You can start by taking the dog for a walk with your bike somewhere without any distractions. Like a fenced playing field or park. Then try getting on the bike and riding around very slowly. You can do this with a lead. Then just slowly increase speed until you're confident.

mtbr member
    Abbey the healer mix and Leo the yellow lab. these two dogs have run hundreds of miles of trails with us in Utah, Montana, and Oregon. Leo is 10 and has both hind leg ACLs rebuilt. Abbey is 5 and was a rescue found near death up in the Uinta Basin. Just say "mtn bike" and it's game on. Don't like taking them on rides longer than 10-15 miles or super hot days, but get one hell of a guilt trip when I leave them behind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-coffin-lake-trail-dogs.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-santa-clara-river-overlook-anascazi-ridge.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-slick-rock-dogs-colorado-river-overlook.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-dingo-de-los-flores.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-kamas-leo.jpg  

mtbr member
    This is my riding buddy named Maverick. He is a great riding partner, he always waits for me, he doesnt laugh at me if i have a stupid crash and he's always ready to ride at a moments notice. I just have to say "mountain bike" and he starts pacing the floor waiting for me to get my stuff together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-2013-01-17-14.34.57%5B8%5D.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-2013-01-17-13.43.24.jpg  

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by drj85 View Post
    This is my riding buddy named Maverick. He is a great riding partner, he always waits for me, he doesnt laugh at me if i have a stupid crash and he's always ready to ride at a moments notice. I just have to say "mountain bike" and he starts pacing the floor waiting for me to get my stuff together.
    Maverick looks a lot like my girly girl Annie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-dsc_4802.jpg  

In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    I got a rescue dog for Christmas. As far as I can tell, he is half Cairn Terrier, half Chihuahua. He is around 12-13 lbs. I have been told that such a small dog won't be able to keep up with me. But I am slow, and he LOVES to be near his mama. Once I get the basics down with him, I really want to see if I can train him for trails...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome ad View Post
    Abbey the healer mix and Leo the yellow lab. these two dogs have run hundreds of miles of trails with us in Utah, Montana, and Oregon. Leo is 10 and has both hind leg ACLs rebuilt. Abbey is 5 and was a rescue found near death up in the Uinta Basin. Just say "mtn bike" and it's game on. Don't like taking them on rides longer than 10-15 miles or super hot days, but get one hell of a guilt trip when I leave them behind.
    You are truly blessed to live where you do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    Here's Apollo - tireless and fleet of foot.
    Love your friend!
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH View Post
    We have an adopted dog too. What happened to Annie's eye? Ouch!
    "It looks flexy"

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    We have an adopted dog too. What happened to Annie's eye? Ouch!
    That's just the lighting. Her eyes are fine.
    She's a rescue. A friend let us know about her. The lady who had her didn't want her, didn't treat her well, and was going to take her to the pound. Sheesh, some people.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-ap.jpg  

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH View Post

Shes a good looking Golden, how old is she? Mav is 3. Any chance she was born at Stone Ridge Golden Retrievers in Missouri?
    Last edited by drj85; 01-18-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by drj85 View Post
    Shes a good looking Golden, how old is she? Mav is 3. Any chance she was born at Stone Ridge Golden Retrievers in Missouri?
    We think she was about 1 when we got her, which would make her a bit over 2 now.

We didn't get a lot of information on her. The lady spent good money buying her and had her flown in. Apparently she thought she was going to go into the breeding business and make some extra money. But she ended up just not wanting her. Glad we got her instead.

She has some skittishness and confidence issues related to her early treatment, but she is my sweet baby girl.
    Last edited by LCdaveH; 01-18-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

The Mountain Bike Life
    My favourite trail dog is Stella, she is amazing, not my dog but one of my buddies and she is the best trail dog I have ever ridden with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This thread is great
    After the ride
    Sleeping dogs compilation. [VIDEO]

mtbr member
    Ah, sunshine returned, although much colder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-2013-01-19c.jpg  

2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    And when Maverick and Annie turn 8 yrs old or so, they'll have that sophisticated golden retriever grey face.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

Page 73 of 88 FirstFirst ... 23 63 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 83 ... LastLast