Page 72 of 89 FirstFirst ... 22 62 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 82 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 2216
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Sounds like hemangiosarcoma (cancer of the lining of the blood vessels). Typically you find out they have it when a massive, vasculated tumor ruptures and they go into shock from internal bleeding. They call it the "silent killer" since until the very end, there are no symptoms.
    It's been ~2.5 years since it got Virgil. *sniff*
    If there's one thing to be thankful for, it's that quality of life was 100% until the end... no drawn out misery.
    Ugh... your post brought back memories. I still miss him.

Sorry for your loss too. Dixie had a very aggressive form of adenocarcinoma that actually presented itself as bone cancer (not common, as adenocarcinoma usually presents itself in a gland first). We removed the bone tumor surgically and did ultrasound to search for other tumors. She had one tumor in her lungs. So we tried a mild form of chemo. Three weeks later she had over 3 dozen tumors in her chest, so we stopped chemo and went to pain management, which she did extremely well on (acted like her old self). 2 weeks after that she was gone.

It was so fast. But like I said, she attacked life with a zest I have never seen before, and she did everything fast.

Your Virgil is/was a very good looking buddy too.

The only thing I will add, is to anyone going through a terminal illness with a dog, or to anyone who has lost one, the book 'The Legacy of Beezer and Boomer" really helped my wife and I a lot. It provides a very comforting perspective on the whole death "process". Still sucks, but this made it suck a little less.

IllumaDucati

Training

Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    How did you guys who take your dogs on the trails with you get them trained?

The first step is to establish dominance over your dog, so he will respect you as the pack leader and listen to you. (It's just not going to work until you've done this.)

Here's a search: bing.com/search?q=establish+dominance+dog

Establishing dominance can be done by gently rolling the dog over onto his back, straddling him without putting any weight on him but holding him in place, and gently but firmly holding his head and turning it so he looks you in the eyes. He will instinctively turn away, and you have to calmly repeat this, gently but firmly turning his head and holding it until he will relax and look you in the eyes without moving. (No matter how many times you have to do this, stay calm. Dogs are less likely to respect people who can't stay cool.) Once you've done this, your relationship will have changed. You are the boss.

Once you've done that, and provided that the dog will obey the command to sit, put the dog on a four-foot leash with one end around your wrist and slowly ride along a sidewalk. When you come to an intersection, tell the dog to sit. When it's clear to go, say the dog's name so he will look at you, and let him see you looking both ways, and after he's seen this, cross the street.

Unless we're at an intersection, I prefer to let my dog set the pace. If she wants to run, I let her, but I never force her to speed up.

My Australian Cattle Dog has trotted and run beside me three times a day for seven years now. She and I have done well over 10,000 miles together. Because she listens to me and trusts me, I can ride anywhere with her off-leash, and she stays right beside me. Whenever I stop, she stops automatically.

Last edited by Roadsters; 01-03-2013 at 05:05 PM.

mtbr member
    New trail dog

My dog Archer is a rescue dog as well..he was found in Brooklyn NY on the corner of Grant & Archer (hence the name) He was saved by a small group in NJ the day before he was to be destroyed. Our family took him FAR away from the city life and gave him what every dog needs, A home and a family to love him. He runs on the trails with me like crazy. We can do 6+ miles and he is not even panting.
    He is a pit mix.
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. 68 Hundred View Post
    ***Anyone know of a collar GPS that can be used to clock speed? He's a fast little bugger and I'm curious***
    Just duct-tape any bike or running GPS to his collar, and hit start/stop at the beginning and end of the ride. It would also be interesting to see how much more mileage he does than you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    [QUOTE=meltingfeather;10032795]Sounds like hemangiosarcoma (cancer of the lining of the blood vessels). Typically you find out they have it when a massive, vasculated tumor ruptures and they go into shock from internal bleeding. They call it the "silent killer" since until the very end, there are no symptoms.
    It's been ~2.5 years since it got Virgil. *sniff*
    If there's one thing to be thankful for, it's that quality of life was 100% until the end... no drawn out misery.
    Ugh... your post brought back memories. I still miss him.

meltingfeather, what breed of dog was Virgil? That is an incredible picture of him. Very stoic.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sorry for being late, but MERRY CHRISTMAS!

mtbr member
    My german shepard, he loves biking as much as i do
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-mtbr1hund.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-mtbr2.jpg  

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony.Montana View Post
    My german shepard, he loves biking as much as i do
    Beautiful bike and dog!
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Bicycle Addict
    What a wimp Charlie, part terrier, short haired pointer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-imag0416.jpg  

The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    meltingfeather, what breed of dog was Virgil? That is an incredible picture of him. Very stoic.
    He was a mutt... but probably had aussie in him.
    highly intelligent dood.
    thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadsters View Post

The first step is to establish dominance over your dog, so he will respect you as the pack leader and listen to you. (It's just not going to work until you've done this.)

Establishing dominance can be done by gently rolling the dog over onto his back, straddling him without putting any weight on him but holding him in place, and gently but firmly holding his head and turning it so he looks you in the eyes. He will instinctively turn away, and you have to calmly repeat this, gently but firmly turning his head and holding it until he will relax and look you in the eyes without moving. (No matter how many times you have to do this, stay calm. Dogs are less likely to respect people who can't stay cool.) Once you've done this, your relationship will have changed. You are the boss.
    To anyone reading this interested in training your dog, PLEASE don't do this to your dog. Ever. It is completely WRONG. Yes your relationship with your dog will have changed because you have put the dog in a position of fearing for its life. The "Alpha Roll" is a very old and very outdated method and you are literally instilling the fear of death into your dog and is completely unnecessary. If you insist on establishing dominance, there are far better, faster and safer ways to train a dog without making them fear you.

I own two very high-energy dogs that are trained with both verbal commands and hand signals. I have never had to resort to using fear tactics to train my dogs. They will run with me off leash just fine, keep pace and are excellent trail dogs.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

IllumaDucati
    We're not going to agree. The guy who taught me that used to train dogs for Navy SEALs. I stand by what I said. Argue with someone else.

b a n n e d
    We're not going to agree. The guy who taught me that used to train dogs for Navy SEALs. I stand by what I said. Argue with someone else.
    We don't have to agree, and I'm not going to argue with you. My post is intended to hopefully prevent anyone else from treating their dog in a similar fashion.

IllumaDucati
    Any dog that gets the "the fear of death" by being rolled onto his back and gently held there has serious issues, possibly caused by being mistreated, that go beyond the scope of this thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ^my brother as well trains dogs professionally... that method is appropriate. You can do plenty of less controlling methods, but some dogs only work that a way.

I own a blue heller, who is incredibly obedient. And was head strong when a puppy, so much so that the alpha discipline was the only way I could go with him. My brother agreed.

Love this.thread!

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk 2

b a n n e d
    Any dog that gets the "the fear of death" by being rolled onto his back and gently held there has serious issues, possibly caused by being mistreated, that go beyond the scope of this thread.
    100% proof positive right here that you have absolutely no idea what you are doing. At least make an effort to educate yourself without just following blindly.

Alpha roll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    We don't have to agree, and I'm not going to argue with you. My post is intended to hopefully prevent anyone else from treating their dog in a similar fashion.
    I agree with you on that one, but I'm not going to jump in and argue on such a topic on an internet MTB forum, and I think you know better as well... Bottom line is each dog is different, there are lots of ways to trains them and we can't always all agree either...

In any case, back to our regular programming...

Just a quick after work walk with the dogs in the backyard trails:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-img_4190.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-img_4202.jpg  

Guillaume

duh
    just read this and thought it was a good news

Firefighters use new oxygen mask to save dog | Life With Dogs
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    You guys have reached for a new low.

mtbr member
    Post New Years Day ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-1230121305.jpg  

'11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

mtbr member
    This 40Lb black and tan rocket of fur and fangs has covered a lot of trail.
    She's a 4.5 year old Aussie/Germ Shep mix.
    I got her when she was 8 months old.
    She's and amazing trail dog-yields to oncoming riders, knows what "off trail" means, and will pace off of the back wheel until I tell her to "pin it!", at which point she goes all out.
    We average about 30 miles a week together.
    She's the fastest dog I have ever seen over extended distance.
    20 mile trail rides are no problem in cool weather.
    She's been all over Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, California, and Oregon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-mmth.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-ss.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-photo2.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-sv.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ^^dog indeed looks crazy fast!!

My year old blue heeler/Australian shepard loves the long runs. Can't out run him, and is agile as all get out. Clears a chain fence without touching, and loves frisbees
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-uploadfromtaptalk1357699545967.jpg  

mtbr member
    Them's the Minarets in the background! How are the trails around Mammoth? I'm a winter regular up there, but now that I finally have a bike that can hang in rough terrain, I'm thinking of heading up this summer. Dog friendly, too, I presume?

mtbr member
    Me and one of my labs hitting the downhill trails with me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    just read this and thought it was a good news

Firefighters use new oxygen mask to save dog | Life With Dogs
    I saw that. The chief's rigs carry an animal resuscitation kit where I work. I'll go back in for a dog if I can.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    She's and amazing trail dog-yields to oncoming riders, knows what "off trail" means, and will pace off of the back wheel until I tell her to "pin it!", at which point she goes all out.
    Any tips on how you trained her...?

Page 72 of 89 FirstFirst ... 22 62 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 82 ... LastLast