Page 71 of 85 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 81 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 2102
    mtbr member
    Pippa was a trooper today, we did 10 miles and she didn't complain one bit.

"A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Little dog - big mountain:

MTB B'dos
    Nice How much does she weigh? Looks to be about maybe 40lbs and Small-Medium build, bit bigger than my trail guy. Max I've done with him is about 7.5 miles and he never complains, in fact I think if I just kept riding he'd run until he dropped. His front legs are only about 7.5"-8" long since he has a deep chest and so he's not nearly as fast as his siblings of the same height with much smaller body - he has the body build of a Corgie. Have to remember to keep the speed down and stop frequently for water/rest breaks with our heat down here and his thick coat, doesn't hurt that the trail I mostly take him on runs right along the sea most of the way, so he jumps in every so often to cool down

Quote Originally Posted by EMFC View Post

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Dissolved member
    She is a very pretty girl. What breed were her parents? I would guess a Rottweiler and something smaller like a Corgi?

mtbr member
    He got a little close to my back wheel and got a mouth full of mud. Dogs with Passion-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353778555.473139.jpg
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    He got a little close to my back wheel and got a mouth full of mud. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353778555.473139.jpg 
Views:	846 
Size:	297.6 KB 
ID:	739626
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

re member
    Tailgating with my buddy, Thanksgiving morning.

Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

duh

love this pic. The dog is really cut but it also almost looks like a painting.

mtbr member
    went out for a hike and took my little one along!

The torture ends now.

mtbr member
    Here's my buddy Dogs with Passion-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354170649.912986.jpg

mtbr member
    ^ what's he drinking?
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

mtbr member
    I want a dog SOOO badly.

But I am such a responsible owner, I am denying myself. I know I am not in a position to give it the kind of home it needs. There are lots of dangers to a dog around here I can't do anything about, and I don't work from home. I also don't have enough extra money in case something bad happens and I need to take care of it.

What to do?! I am letting fate decide when it is right. If a dog falls in my lap, I am not going to say no. Dogs ownership sometimes happens that way Either way, it is going to puppy school! I need a pal to come on the trails with me too

How did you guys who take your dogs on the trails with you get them trained? The dogs I grew up with were brats who basically laughed at you when you tried to get them to come when called. Strict leash laws mean I would have to make sure they stay with me and would drop what they are doing to come right away if I call.

mtbr member
    I don't have MTBing pics, but they runs with the best of them. Here's some backpacking pics though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    How did you guys who take your dogs on the trails with you get them trained? The dogs I grew up with were brats who basically laughed at you when you tried to get them to come when called. Strict leash laws mean I would have to make sure they stay with me and would drop what they are doing to come right away if I call.

I believe the most important thing is to spend as much time with them early on as possible, like the first couple months if you can. They learn best with constant easy correction, like a dog pack would provide. Leaving them home for 8-10 hours a day (can't do thet with a puppy though) leaves them to their own devices and they don't know if it's right or wrong. Plus you won't build that Alpha status very easily if you're not around.

Both of my labs are very, very well behaved, and except for the yellow with has a stubborn streak at times, don't ever cause me grief. And I take them everywhere.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    I believe the most important thing is to spend as much time with them early on as possible, like the first couple months if you can. They learn best with constant easy correction, like a dog pack would provide. Leaving them home for 8-10 hours a day (can't do thet with a puppy though) leaves them to their own devices and they don't know if it's right or wrong. Plus you won't build that Alpha status very easily if you're not around.

Both of my labs are very, very well behaved, and except for the yellow with has a stubborn streak at times, don't ever cause me grief. And I take them everywhere.
    Your first sentence is very true. The more time you spend with a young dog, the easier their training will be. You also have to make it so the dog has fun with you. If you are more important than other things going on around them, then they will be easy to call back. Lots of small treats makes a dog eager to please also.

I taught my older dog to sit whenever another dog came by while I was walking her. She learned this quickly and also helped to teach it to the dog that was acquired a year later. It's much easier to teach a 2nd dog when you have a very well trained 1st dog.

I don't buy into the "alpha dog theory" and there are dog trainers that will back me up on this.

When I started riding with my first dog, I went out with only her. We rode at her pace, and the ride was only about her having fun. Don't ever ride with others that are more concerned about their heat rate than they are about your dog.

I have taught my dogs to keep an eye on me. If they get out of sight, I'll go off the trail and hide. They always stop and come find me, but that's because I'm fun to be with, and I have beef jerky in my pocket.

Above all, find a dog that wants to listen to you. Some breeds are much better about this than others, but there is always the exception. And seriously consider a rescue. There are way too many unwanted, good intelligent dogs in the pounds and rescues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Good day, started cold but an hour later we were warmed up by sunrise.
    http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...hooting009.jpg
    Last edited by 1362; 11-29-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: url

mtbr member
    Here's Apollo - tireless and fleet of foot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-img_1498.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-img_1500.jpg  

mtbr member
    Lets go again....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

mtbr member

I can finally play this game :)

Feyd-Rautha is my Young Apprentice to trail running. Next spring, he gets to come with on my rides.

This is right after our first trail run (The Impetuous Feyd-Rautha)

Yeah, he likes snow just a little bit (The Abominable Feyd-Rautha)

***Anyone know of a collar GPS that can be used to clock speed? He's a fast little bugger and I'm curious***
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormwalker View Post
    Totally in his/her environment!
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Yeah, Dixie would split at the first small fury (or feathered) woodland creature she saw.
    Just looked through this entire thread again and I am tearing up.

Almost two months now since we said "goodbye" to our beloved Dixie girl, my forum namesake and best friend, due to a very aggressive cancer.

I still miss the hell out of my girl, but I am glad she's not hurting anymore. And she felt good up until the end. She was running around like a crazy dog in the back yard 45 minutes before my wife (a veterinarian) and I had to "send her along" in her favorite sunspot. She crashed so fast. But that was Dixie. She did everything fast.

We still have our hound Duke, and he didn't do well as an only dog, so three weeks after Dixie passed we added another family member, Lady (a 6 month old 60 lb. at the time dutch shepherd mix), to the crew. She's 7 months old now and almost 70 lbs. She's a big ol baby. Doesn't make the pain of losing Dixie hurt any less, but she sure is fun to laugh at.

Duke on the trail saying "Come on fat man, hurry it up."

Duke and Lady running in the back yard.

Duke is 7 now, and I am working him up to being a good trail dog. We've done runs, and some short rides, and he's great.

transmitter~receiver

Almost two months now since we said "goodbye" to our beloved Dixie girl, my forum namesake and best friend, due to a very aggressive cancer.

I still miss the hell out of my girl, but I am glad she's not hurting anymore. And she felt good up until the end. She was running around like a crazy dog in the back yard 45 minutes before my wife (a veterinarian) and I had to "send her along" in her favorite sunspot. She crashed so fast. But that was Dixie. She did everything fast.
    Sounds like hemangiosarcoma (cancer of the lining of the blood vessels). Typically you find out they have it when a massive, vasculated tumor ruptures and they go into shock from internal bleeding. They call it the "silent killer" since until the very end, there are no symptoms.
    It's been ~2.5 years since it got Virgil. *sniff*
    If there's one thing to be thankful for, it's that quality of life was 100% until the end... no drawn out misery.
    Ugh... your post brought back memories. I still miss him.

We still have our hound Duke, and he didn't do well as an only dog, so three weeks after Dixie passed we added another family member, Lady (a 6 month old 60 lb. at the time dutch shepherd mix), to the crew. She's 7 months old now and almost 70 lbs. She's a big ol baby. Doesn't make the pain of losing Dixie hurt any less, but she sure is fun to laugh at.

Duke is 7 now, and I am working him up to being a good trail dog. We've done runs, and some short rides, and he's great.
    We got another pretty quickly... as soon as we found the right one. Rocco's a great dog, but I still miss V.
    Rocco likes to ride my Dummy to Home Depot or wherever.

He's too big for the wide loader now, so I just got a sidecar for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

My sympathies, I also lost a dog to cancer , a 7 year old female Shepard so my wife and I can relate the your sorrow.

mtbr member
    Lost my first search dog in 2005 to bone cancer at age 5. Amputation wasn't an option since it had spread undetected for so long, that by the time she showed a limp it was too late. Great dog, Lexi, miss her big time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-sep23_02.jpg  

2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

Page 71 of 85 FirstFirst ... 21 61 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 81 ... LastLast