My younger goldie, looking for birds

Here she is, all tuckered out after a long day

PROEDGEBIKER.COM

Good job!

Here's a video of my HUSKY's passion to pull me everyday on my MTB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7twU1ZdyAE

Dog Musher
    Hey Pro Edge

What a good dog. Way to go running at daybreak to keep your doggie cool. I bet you don't have to think much about trimming your doggie's toenails. I run my dogs on pavement for short runs occasionally to keep their toenails trimmed. I was wondering how you attach your line to the bike. I also noticed that you might want to add a bungee section to your line to add a little suspension and make it less jerky for the dog and the rider. Here is a photo of my 1999 team on the Tahoe Rim Trail near Mt Rose Meadows. Notice where my dogs are attached to the stem. One puppy is running loose in the team. I like my line about ten feet to the first dog to give me more stopping time when the going gets fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You guys are damn lucky to have dogs that can ride with you, much less, dogs that you can actually harness to your bike. I have two yellow labs; ages 3 and 1 1/2. I can hardly walk these dogs down the street as they pull with tremendous force and they are easily distracted. One dog will pull to the right to pee on a mailbox, and the other will start walking to the left to chase a cat or to sniff something out. I can't imagine what would happen if I tied them to a bike.

Although I can't ride with them, they are my best friends.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RickD.
    I love dogs. I love dogs a lot. I've ridden with guys who have their dogs hauling ass right with us, head right off their back wheel. But I also have a nice scar across the bridge of my nose from where I went over the bars after trying to avoid a dog not on a leash. I would consider having a dog not on a leash the same as being a d**k on the trails. It's a matter of etiquette.
    Please put this on the Colorado site. Oh my God. They would sh1t. As you enter the CT five dogs great you off leash. You, must great them with joy as you ride or be told that " my dog never bites". What ever. I love dogs don't agree with the front tire hit ideal. However, can we come to some agreement? The trail is for all to use.

PROEDGEBIKER.COM

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by hammerdog
    Hey Pro Edge

What a good dog. Way to go running at daybreak to keep your doggie cool. I bet you don't have to think much about trimming your doggie's toenails. I run my dogs on pavement for short runs occasionally to keep their toenails trimmed. I was wondering how you attach your line to the bike. I also noticed that you might want to add a bungee section to your line to add a little suspension and make it less jerky for the dog and the rider. Here is a photo of my 1999 team on the Tahoe Rim Trail near Mt Rose Meadows. Notice where my dogs are attached to the stem. One puppy is running loose in the team. I like my line about ten feet to the first dog to give me more stopping time when the going gets fast.

His Bungee is my arm... , i dont attach to the bike. I hold on to him the whole time. Never had to trimm his nails. His route is 3 miles. He's been doing this since he was 8 weeks old and now he's almost 7 (in January) so this is like his treat. we average about 16mph and when the wife is with us he sprints up to 20mph just to get back in the front.

Dog Musher
    I make it look easy now but in 1993 I had to train that first dog to be a lead dog. That took a lot of time and patience. Since then, the leader I trained has helped train all my subsequent dogs easily. Dog learn best from each other and that is not just a truism. Here is my team last fall. Do not hook up 3 powerful dogs without good brakes and well trained leaders.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Smile

Wow, I waited one time for five days for my camp site friend's dogs to come back. I learned to make a great spam sandwich. Now 'GPS" Great.

Ride Responsibly
    " I can hardly walk these dogs down the street as they pull with tremendous force and they are easily distracted."

Read any dog training book by William Koehler, you will enjoy slack leashes in no time.

@adelorenzo
    Awesome thread, I'll add some pics of mine. He is the black mutt, Starbuck. He's OK to pull on bikes/skis (not super well-trained), but also just loves to run on the trail where he knows exactly what to do.

I do lots of long solo rides, so he's my company and my first line of bear defense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo
    Love this picture
    My previous dog absolutely hated water, my current one absolutely loves it. Every animal is different I guess

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Yes, she's a Rhodesian Ridgeback without the Ridge.
    Very cool pic in the snow. I'm picking up a Ridgeback puppy in a few days. Hoping she'll be a good trail dog when old enough. Can you tell me about training your Ridgeback to go on trails? Did she follow behind the bike or did she lead? Easliy distracted? Any tips for me?

Thanks!

^ That's what I do
    I couldn't resist posting a picture of the family dog Lucy. She's a 1 1/2 year old beagle/pit bull mix. I call her a pit beagle. She weighs about 45 pounds. Since I don't have a bike right now (saving up for one), I take her on walks on the fire roads and hiking trails around my house. We see very few people so I let her run off the leash. This picture was taken back in March.

mtbr member
    This post was in the wrong place...
    I will never forget my fallen brothers 03-07-08
    Isler and Monroe R.I.P.

mtbr member

Shes got the passion.........oops, wait this thread is about dogs isnt it, errm well sometimes

eghmm i should quit while im ahead.

Here is a photo of the retired trail doggie.

Hes to old to run with Daddy now.

Cheers to all the people who let their "kids" be free. I feel sorry for all the dogs that are leashed up every day in a backyard, not getting the exercise or activity they deserve. I for one praise each and every one of you for taking the time to take your best friend with you and not to leave them behind.

i don't know if it is a law not to have your dog on a leash but If i were a dog,cat,bird, what have you i would want to get out every day with the family I obey and love.

Happy riding with you four legged friends.

P.S. And to my wife, I love your patience with me and my jokes. I am blessed to have such a wonderfull woman as my soulmate

Medic
    Isler and Monroe R.I.P.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

my dog with her passion

Don't believe the Hype...

My Boxers

Release the HOUNDS!

Sleeping like a dog....

Bruno at 8 months

Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceGuy

my dog with her passion

Ahhhhh....the KONG frisbee. This is the only toy that my two labs have not been able to destroy. KONG products may be a few extra dollars, but they will last forever.

mtbr member
    Lucky,

Like your boxer.....

I am getting ready to rescue one from the shelter tommorow.

I Will post picks of the new trail dog!!!!!!
    Isler and Monroe R.I.P.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceGuy

my dog with her passion
    Looks like a Duck-Tolling Retriever? My second guess is Golden Retriever, but hard to tell from the angle of the shot.
    Last edited by GpzGuy; 09-12-2008 at 05:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Zippy

And Popsicle

Both Pitbulls adopted from the pound. Such great dogs!
    I don't ride with them but hike with them all the time. They don't know how to pace themselves.

mtbr member
    Sitka is a 4yo mix. The vet thinks pit/lab/other.

She is a fantastic trail dog, but we haven't been mountain biking together since last fall. Now that it's cooled off again we'll get back to it.

Hiking on the AT in Pennsylvania

Her first trail ride. We'd been doing a lot of trail running on the leash and working off the leash before I was comfortable enough to take her riding.

Doing what she does best, running.

After a ride

And finally, posing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd Wong
    Zippy
    This is such a great shot!

I have a pit bull/american bulldog mix and a golden retriever/great pyrenese mix both also from shelters, I will have to get some pics and post them up.

Trails down here don't allow dogs, but they love being outdoors.
    Little hand says it's time to rock and roll. - Bodhi

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    Well, just got him this week.

5 week old Vizsla (Hungarian Pointer)

Meet Rusty!

Cant wait till he's ready for the trails!
    ~every end is a new beginning...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ReD_tomato
    Well, just got him this week.

5 week old Vizsla (Hungarian Pointer)

Meet Rusty!

Cant wait till he's ready for the trails!

Holy Cute Red Batman!

Page 7 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast