Page 67 of 85 FirstFirst ... 17 57 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 77 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 2112
  1. #1651
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,604
    Again, learn something new everyday Never knew they were anything but tan and black, that's all I've ever seen and I've traveled the world quite a bit, very cool. Bet he'd make an even better security dog on a night, you couldn't see him coming in the dark Aren't most dogs like that who have good owners who treat them right


    Quote Originally Posted by TrailPixie View Post
    LyNx, Ruger is a German Shepherd, he's just from working lines (you see them more some areas than others vs the show type dogs) and solid black. He's a spazoid but friendly and tons of fun.

    Doughnut Spaghetti, I love your Dobe. They're easily one of my favorite breeds.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  2. #1652
    007
    007 is offline
    b a n n e d
    Reputation: 007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,315
    Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut Spaghetti View Post
    Here's Doberman Fletcher:
    This pic in Black and white would be frame worthy, IMO. Fabulous looking dog and a great pic.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

  3. #1653
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    61
    I've always wanted an American Staffordshire...


  4. #1654
    bust a move
    Reputation: 2ridealot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,675
    short but fun ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-img_20120820_112900.jpg  


  5. #1655
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8
    Wish I could take my weim's with me, but oh so worried about other people and liability, even though they are harmless

  6. #1656
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    26
    Heres my little guy, took him out to the forest this morning he loves it!!! Didn't realise until i got home and saw the photos that he takes on small gaps now this ones just over a meter and a half. Sorry for the bad quality but ill get a HD go pro some day soon for now im stuck without.








  7. #1657
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    95
    I was inspired by this thread, so when I got last month my pit mix pup my wife and me started training our girl to accompany us to ride with us. I started riding with her through our neighborhood attached to my riser bar with her leash. We started playing with speeds and stopping. The main thing was to teach her to feel when to stop, instead of continuing running along by herself. After two weeks of training with her every night, I went with her on Monday to my favorite trail. It was awesome. She rode with me like a champ. Since it gets so hot down here, I would stop with her every 10 minutes so she could hydrate and get her breath back.




  8. #1658
    mtbr member
    Reputation: guilev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    94
    Guillaume

  9. #1659
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bykerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    70
    Great vid. Some of my favorite things all in one place

  10. #1660
    My Rusty Knee
    Reputation: Stuart B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by guilev View Post
    Love it...nice work. I need to get out riding with my dog more

    Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

  11. #1661
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,534
    Here's my Newf enjoying the water and chasing his tennis ball.



    And here's his passion for sharing the water with everyone in the vicinity!

    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  12. #1662
    Is not amused
    Reputation: Hutch3637's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,768
    Best picture to date of the boy. It was a tad sunny out.



    Dogs with Passion-imag1347mtbr.jpg

  13. #1663
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrzyTuning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    79
    Beautiful pic and beautiful friend!

    Here was yesterday, testing out my brothers new Trek 820. Not a bad bike. Sorry for the poor quality.
    The torture ends now.

  14. #1664
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    291
    not really related to my dog riding with me.... but, do any of you guys have advice for me. My border collie has a jealousy problem, I got him when I was single and in the last three years I got married and now have a 19 month old daughter.... He is not super stoked about the whole daughter situation, all she wants to do is pet him and she really likes him but, he does not have the same feelings to her.... I have tried going on more rides/runs with just him and I, I have her around us more so that he can see the baby and stuff with me, and my daughter even gives him treats and puts food in his dish for him....

    any other ideas???

  15. #1665
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Best picture to date of the boy. It was a tad sunny out.



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1347mtbr.jpg 
Views:	834 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	720437
    looks a lot like my dog. Mines a boxer/american staffordshire so he has a little bit bigger of a head but very similar otherwise.

    Wish I could take my dog out but any other animal that could resemble a dog, he want to destroy (i.e. coyotes, javalinas.....basically anything with 4 legs thats over 10 pounds).

  16. #1666
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,534
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    not really related to my dog riding with me.... but, do any of you guys have advice for me. My border collie has a jealousy problem, I got him when I was single and in the last three years I got married and now have a 19 month old daughter.... He is not super stoked about the whole daughter situation, all she wants to do is pet him and she really likes him but, he does not have the same feelings to her.... I have tried going on more rides/runs with just him and I, I have her around us more so that he can see the baby and stuff with me, and my daughter even gives him treats and puts food in his dish for him....

    any other ideas???
    Tough one. I went through the same deal with my German Shepherd and our daughter. The dog was about 3 when we had our daughter. He seemed to take to her and have the appropriate curiosity about this new member of his pack, so all was good. As time wore on, though, and she started crawling and walking, it became apparent that he did not understand his ranking in the pack as below all the humans. He thought he was an adult and the kid/puppy was below him. Ultimately, he attempted to discipline her for something he though inappropriate with either a nip or a snap (that connected). Either way, he connected, drew blood and that was over the line. We gave him away to a drug dog trainer and the last we heard, he was extremely happy having a real job. Because the nip wasn't malicious, we didn't put him down; make no mistake, if he had hauled off and bit her for not reason, I'd have done the deed myself.

    Based on that and the fact that your daughter is 19 months and he doesn't seem to have adapted, I'd be very, very cautious any time they were together. I'd also strongly advise you to start thinking about where your dog might be better off. The more time you spend with him on rides or just you and him together, the more you are rewarding his perception and behavior towards your daughter. I'd recommend that you have your daughter start being dominant over him, but at 19 months, she won't understand that. She'd need to have him perform for tricks - without your presence and requirement, make him mind her with the basic commands and stuff like that. I tried those things, too, but at 19 months, it's hard to make the kiddo understand what you need and the dog just sees your authority there, not the kid's.

    I wish I could offer a better solution. I've had dogs my whole life and consider myself pretty good with them. I waited and waited, trying to train the GSD and make him get it when lots of others saw that he wasn't and that I needed to find him a better environment for his personality. Fortunately, my daughter is not afraid of dogs despite the nip and very happy with her big teddy bear of a Newf (the absolute best dog for kids!) and her spastic, but loveable Springer Spaniel.

    Good luck... and keep a close eye on them when they're together.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  17. #1667
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,341


    Shelby and Gypsy. Shelby is the pointer mix. Adopted from the Humaine Society. Took to mountain biking from the first pedal stroke, getting behind my wheel without me saying a word. Shelby FOUND Gypsy (mutt) at Fantasy island MTB park abandoned and only about 3 1/2 months old. It was close to sunset and coyotes would have eaten her.
    agmtb

  18. #1668
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Best picture to date of the boy. It was a tad sunny out.
    He is a very handsome boy indeed!

  19. #1669
    Is not amused
    Reputation: Hutch3637's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,768
    Quote Originally Posted by IamtheYeti View Post
    looks a lot like my dog. Mines a boxer/american staffordshire so he has a little bit bigger of a head but very similar otherwise.

    Wish I could take my dog out but any other animal that could resemble a dog, he want to destroy (i.e. coyotes, javalinas.....basically anything with 4 legs thats over 10 pounds).
    Post a picture of him.

    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    He is a very handsome boy indeed!
    Thank you.

  20. #1670
    Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Reputation: m0ngy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    619
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Tough one... Good luck... and keep a close eye on them when they're together.
    Yeah, I was going to weigh in here, had dogs my whole life, but skiahh's already explained the situation outstandingly, obviously knows what he's talking about.

    We bought an 18 month old German Shepherd when I was a little kid, maybe 5 or 6 years old. We were playing and it stuck it's mouth right over my face, demonstrating it was dominant over me. My dad saw it and straight away told me I had to get serious with the dog otherwise, "that was it..." Subsequently, I stopped playing with the dog and only gave it commands, and with my father, assisted disciplining the dog by verballing it and occasionally smacking it's ass with my hand. This continued until the dog properly understood it's position as below every human in the pack, regardless of size.

    Unfortunately, your daughter just not old enough to really participate in this kind of conditioning, which leaves an uncertain time gap of several years before she is capable.

    Based on that and the fact that your daughter is 19 months and he doesn't seem to have adapted, I'd be very, very cautious any time they were together. I'd also strongly advise you to start thinking about where your dog might be better off.
    This is the big problem, you've let it go to long. The dog's had plenty of time to accept your daughter and he's just not into her. Your dog should instinctively want to love your daughter because he wants to please you and fit into the group, that should've been the primary requirement he had to meet from the very beginning. If he doesn't want to do this then he's either a bad egg and you don't want him anyway, or you're not making enough effort.

    I'd also suggest that the responsibility is yours, and though it's probably too late now, you haven't done enough to bring the dog and your daughter together in the past. You have to get right onto these things, you can't allow dogs to form their own relationships with family, it's not their decision whether they get along with you kids or not. You and your family must dominate the dog completely, break it's will if necessary, and any relationship should exist strictly within those parametres of complete and total obedience. Dogs naturally want to obey their master and be part of the pack, you have to give them the opportunity to do that through even measures of love and discipline.

    Once a dog understands it's place, it feels relaxed, and you'll feel relaxed, everyone benefits, but you have to get there first.

    Unfortunately mate, if I wasn't confident leaving a kid, any kid, alone with my dog, I'd suggest the decision was already made for you. I don't know the exact details of your situation, and maybe I'm going too far in saying that it's accident waiting to happen, but if something bad did happen, the consequences for both your kid and your beloved doggy are disastrous.

    Good luck, hope it works out.

    One last thing, if you really want to keep your dog and it continues to act up. I fear you've left it too late for the carrot, so it'll have to be the stick. If the dog ever snarls or even looks like it's going to be aggressive towards your daughter, kick the living sh!t out of it right there and then. Hurt him, not badly of course, but make him feel the sting, make him know you're serious and that he's seriously f$%ked up and fully deserves it. Don't worry, dogs are much tougher than us, he'll forget the pain in no time, but hopefully not the lesson. No use doing it later 'cause he won't understand why you're doing it. If that doesn't change his attitude you'll need to offload him asap.
    Last edited by m0ngy; 08-30-2012 at 09:12 PM.
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

  21. #1671
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Tough one. I went through the same deal with my German Shepherd and our daughter. The dog was about 3 when we had our daughter. He seemed to take to her and have the appropriate curiosity about this new member of his pack, so all was good. As time wore on, though, and she started crawling and walking, it became apparent that he did not understand his ranking in the pack as below all the humans. He thought he was an adult and the kid/puppy was below him. Ultimately, he attempted to discipline her for something he though inappropriate with either a nip or a snap (that connected). Either way, he connected, drew blood and that was over the line. We gave him away to a drug dog trainer and the last we heard, he was extremely happy having a real job. Because the nip wasn't malicious, we didn't put him down; make no mistake, if he had hauled off and bit her for not reason, I'd have done the deed myself.

    Based on that and the fact that your daughter is 19 months and he doesn't seem to have adapted, I'd be very, very cautious any time they were together. I'd also strongly advise you to start thinking about where your dog might be better off. The more time you spend with him on rides or just you and him together, the more you are rewarding his perception and behavior towards your daughter. I'd recommend that you have your daughter start being dominant over him, but at 19 months, she won't understand that. She'd need to have him perform for tricks - without your presence and requirement, make him mind her with the basic commands and stuff like that. I tried those things, too, but at 19 months, it's hard to make the kiddo understand what you need and the dog just sees your authority there, not the kid's.

    I wish I could offer a better solution. I've had dogs my whole life and consider myself pretty good with them. I waited and waited, trying to train the GSD and make him get it when lots of others saw that he wasn't and that I needed to find him a better environment for his personality. Fortunately, my daughter is not afraid of dogs despite the nip and very happy with her big teddy bear of a Newf (the absolute best dog for kids!) and her spastic, but loveable Springer Spaniel.

    Good luck... and keep a close eye on them when they're together.

    great information, I appreciate it. Just what I was scared of... he nipped her once, and actually bit her once BUT, her paw was hurt, I was not home and my daughter grabbed his hurt paw, that is the only reason he is not a dead dog right now.... I understand both sides and this had been really hard on me for both decisions, so hopefully the "I would have killed him right there" comments dont come... trust me, it took all I could to not. Despite that I have tried and nothing has really worked and it keeps crossing my mind that he might be happier and have a "job" somewhere else.... especially with all the time I have been spending with him and my daughter, and no change.

  22. #1672
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CrzyTuning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    BUT, her paw was hurt
    Don't make excuses for your dog! I know it may sound a bit cruel and I'm sure I'll get some flack, but I've trained my dogs to not nip/bite at me when I hurt them, on purpose or an accident. I usually start by pinching their ears or paws(not horribly hard) and reward them when they don't react in an aggressive manner.

    I've personally never had issues introducing babies/kids into the pack. Just let them know that harming the baby or even going near it is a big . I've also never let the dogs with the babies alone. Not until the child is old enough to defend itself verbally and physically.
    The torture ends now.

  23. #1673
    mtbr member
    Reputation: guilev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    not really related to my dog riding with me.... but, do any of you guys have advice for me. My border collie has a jealousy problem, I got him when I was single and in the last three years I got married and now have a 19 month old daughter.... He is not super stoked about the whole daughter situation, all she wants to do is pet him and she really likes him but, he does not have the same feelings to her.... I have tried going on more rides/runs with just him and I, I have her around us more so that he can see the baby and stuff with me, and my daughter even gives him treats and puts food in his dish for him....

    any other ideas???
    Considering you don't trust the dog around your 19 month old daughter, I would strongly suggest that you get the help of a professional dog trainer who knows how to work with dog behaviour issues.

    BTW, being aggressive with a dog is usually not a good solution IMHO.

    Good luck.
    Guillaume

  24. #1674
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,534
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    great information, I appreciate it. Just what I was scared of... he nipped her once, and actually bit her once BUT, her paw was hurt, I was not home and my daughter grabbed his hurt paw, that is the only reason he is not a dead dog right now.... I understand both sides and this had been really hard on me for both decisions, so hopefully the "I would have killed him right there" comments dont come... trust me, it took all I could to not. Despite that I have tried and nothing has really worked and it keeps crossing my mind that he might be happier and have a "job" somewhere else.... especially with all the time I have been spending with him and my daughter, and no change.
    See, that's crossed the line for me. A snap and walking away for an injury (or playing with a private place) is OK, but connecting never is. Especially with a baby. Maybe with me, but never with the kiddo.

    And, it sounds like no one was there to discipline the dog, so as far as he knows, what he did was OK. When our Newf was a puppy, he snapped once and my wife took him down to his back, telling him no. From then on, he understood he could walk away - even if it meant dumping the kiddo on her keister - but not snap. We've seen him whirl his head around, but always with a closed mouth now. And he's dumped her plenty of times... and also just laid there looking at us, with the expression that says, "please help me" - and we always do.

    As much as I loved that GSD, and even accepted a couple of snaps without connecting (but with a disciplinary action, too), once he connected, that was over the line. Period.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  25. #1675
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by guilev View Post
    Considering you don't trust the dog around your 19 month old daughter, I would strongly suggest that you get the help of a professional dog trainer who knows how to work with dog behaviour issues.

    BTW, being aggressive with a dog is usually not a good solution IMHO.

    Good luck.
    See, this is what I have been told. When he snarled or raised a lip at her when she was still crawling, I was dominate and I made sure he knew who was boss. He felt the "sting".... that obviously did not work and to be honest I did not feel right about it either. So I contacted a breeder about this situation and she advised me that doing that would make it worse and make the jealousy problem even worse... I have tried every tip she has given me and he just doesnt seem to be lovey to my daughter.

    you guys can all say my dog would be dead, I would beat the **** out of it etc... But, until you have been to that point, you have no idea. I said the same stuff and I was SUPER pissed at my dog.

Page 67 of 85 FirstFirst ... 17 57 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 77 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •