Page 59 of 85 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 2108
    b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul.C View Post
    I want a WPG so bad. I have been calling breeders in my area but $1.5k is just too much right now. I absolutely love those dogs and will have one some day. Currently we have a Brussels Griffon and he is an awesome dog. When I "shoot" him he dies.
    We got our GWP off of Petfinder. Complete with papers at 8 months old for $20.

When I come home to shredded shoes, I can't help but wonder if that $20 was worth it!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Let's Ride!
    taken 10 years ago, she lived to be 16.........I miss this dog.........RIP Stella.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Here is a short video of my Griffin's first try at a trail ride. He is a 2 year old rescue border collie mix. We have only had him for 4 months so he has to stay on a leash for now. Working hard on his recall, but not even close to 100% recall. But overall I am proud of our progress.

griffin's1st ride - YouTube

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by simple78 View Post
    Here is a short video of my Griffin's first try at a trail ride. He is a 2 year old rescue border collie mix. We have only had him for 4 months so he has to stay on a leash for now. Working hard on his recall, but not even close to 100% recall. But overall I am proud of our progress.

griffin's1st ride - YouTube
    Looks like you two had a great time. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the progress with your dog.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostonbase View Post
    How fast were you averaging? You really have to check your spend when riding with a dog. My Aussie can go all day if I keep the pace slower, I am also worried about blowing out his joints on down hills at speed.

I rode with my dog Stan at Fruita last week for the first 3 days, did about 45 miles in total, got someone to watch him for my last ride...Going fast on Joe's was sure fun. Stan still liked me on my return.
    yea probably a good point. we were goin kinda fast since the trails are so smooth. ill have to be careful with tat from now on. we just moved 2 blocks away from the closest trail so she will have lots of practice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    High energy is a serious understatement . . . . I really should take her out on the trails as I'm sure she'd love it, but out here in SoCal there are far too many things for her to get into trouble with (horses, people, other dogs, snakes, cacti, big cats, etc.).
    That's sad, because I'm pretty sure your dog would enjoy it so much!! I heard GWP can be harder to train as well... My girlfriend and I really like wirehaired dogs, and we really wanted to get a GWP at first. But after talking to some breeders and owners, we realized it might be a little bit too much for us to handle.

That's how we learned about the Korthals Griffons and fell in love with the breed. For us, it's the best of both worlds: the look we like, with an easier character and lower energy.
    Guillaume

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by guilev View Post
    That's sad, because I'm pretty sure your dog would enjoy it so much!! I heard GWP can be harder to train as well... My girlfriend and I really like wirehaired dogs, and we really wanted to get a GWP at first. But after talking to some breeders and owners, we realized it might be a little bit too much for us to handle.

That's how we learned about the Korthals Griffons and fell in love with the breed. For us, it's the best of both worlds: the look we like, with an easier character and lower energy.
    Actually, she has been very easy to train. She is an incredibly smart dog (kind of obnoxiously so), and I don't say that lightly. We trained our Vizsla to ring a bell hung by the back door when he wants to go out (done before we got the GWP) and she picked it up on her own by watching him.

She learned hand signals for sit, down, stay, come, and "high five" just by watching the other dog. She also figured out how to open doors on her own (as in bedroom, bathroom, etc. that are pulled shut and latched, and we do not have lever style handles), which we still can't figure out for the life of us . . .

I do know that she would love to run the trails. She'd actually really like agility style obstacles for sure because she's always jumping up on to and over things. Maybe I'll try to find a more remote trail.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by quadracer12 View Post
    What's the temperature limit you guys stop taking your dogs out for a ride?
    We've done as much as 80 in the desert south west with our 1.5 year old pointer/border collie. Lots of water, mellower pace. The 9 year old /Shepherd Lab mix gets hot when it's over 50 :P

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Great Pics!

Ride Responsibly
    This is passion.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    my pooches are too busy eating gophers to chase me around on my bike. =(

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah, Dixie would split at the first small fury (or feathered) woodland creature she saw.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This is Shiloh, the best dog evaaarrr! As an adult living on my own, I'd only had cats, but when Salem died I thought I was going to die too. Loved that cat so much. Anyway, a friend said I needed to get a dog and get out of the house, and specifically a heeler. She said they were the best dogs ever and I think she was right, at least for me.

After several weeks of mulling the idea over I started looking on petfinder and kept going back to her pic. After several more weeks of wondering if I was ready for a dog and the responsibility, I called made arrangement to meet her. That was all it took and we've had such a good time together for the last year and a half. 43#'s of awesome! I think she needs a better bell for the trails though..and a little more practice with our commands.

From Shiloh

From Shiloh

From Shiloh

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Dogs are awesome regardless of breed. I wouldnt trade either of mine for anything!!

2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

HTFU and Ride
    God, this is probably my favorite thread of all time. Kinda bummed though, since I have lost a lot of weight I ride quite a bit faster and longer than before so it is tough for my Irish Setter Bono to keep up like he used to. He still can go 10+ at a pretty good clip, but I need to take more breaks when I bring him.

Makes it tough when ride time is so rare with an 11 month old son! I want to throw down every time I get out on the trail. Hopefully this summer I will be able to get more long but slow rides in, ya know, stop and smell the roses type rides and take lots of pics with Bono-Tron

Keep sharing your awesome trail dogs!
    Last edited by coachjon; 04-11-2012 at 05:16 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by coachjon View Post
    God, this is probably my favorite thread of all time. Kinda bummed though, since I have lost a lot of weight I ride quite a bit faster and longer than before so it is tough for my Irish Setter Bono to keep up like he used to. He still can go 10+ at a pretty good clip, but I need to take more breaks when I bring him.

Makes it tough when ride time is so rare with an 11 month old son! I want to throw down every time I get out on the trail. Hopefully this summer I will be able to get more long but slow rides in, ya know, stop and smell the roses type rides and take lots of pics with Bono-Tron

Keep sharing your awesome trial dogs!
    Trials dogs?? That could be an awesome sport! Like Parkour with dogs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coachjon View Post
    I'm fortunate, with the cool weather, I've been able to leave my dog in my truck, go do 12-16 miles fast pace, then return and take her out for a more leisurely ride of 3 to 4 miles. It gives me a chance to cool down as well. Granted, Iím on private secure land (military installation) so chances of anyone bothering my truck is rare. Hope you figure it out. Also, the one time in my life that I did very little riding was when my kids were pre-toddlers. Thatís just life.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

HTFU and Ride
    lol, oops, this was posted after doing P90X Plyos...brain must not have been firing on all cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarguy View Post
    I'm fortunate, with the cool weather, I've been able to leave my dog in my truck, go do 12-16 miles fast pace, then return and take her out for a more leisurely ride of 3 to 4 miles. It gives me a chance to cool down as well. Granted, Iím on private secure land (military installation) so chances of anyone bothering my truck is rare. Hope you figure it out. Also, the one time in my life that I did very little riding was when my kids were pre-toddlers. Thatís just life.
    My friend and I got verbally assaulted after leaving his chubby lab in the car (in the shade, with water, with all the windows cracked quite a bit, and low temps) to rest while we did another quick lap. Some people...

I have been lucky to be able to ride as much as I have. My wife is pretty awesome (and she knows how fun I am to be around when I don't ride lol). Can't wait to take the whole family out for rides in a few years!!
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    "A field trial is a competitive event at which hunting dogs compete against one another. There are field trials for retrievers, pointing dogs and flushing dogs." Wiki P.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

Weekend warrior aspirant
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarguy View Post
    "A field trial is a competitive event at which hunting dogs compete against one another. There are field trials for retrievers, pointing dogs and flushing dogs." Wiki P.
    Wish my dog flushed
    Mountain bike with 15k miles, Road bike with 10k miles, breaking in my 29er by riding the entire AZ Trail

mtbr member
    Here's another one of my favorite riding buddy, this one is in deer park northern NJ, after this I busted my hub and had to walk back to the jeep. Luckily a lot of it was down hill and Fozzy Bear was never more then a few feet from me. When I checked my computer I hit 21mph!! Damn my dog can run fast. It was only real short but damn!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wintersolstice View Post
    Wish my dog flushed
    Mine leaves the seat up, drives the wife crazy.
    2010 Trek Rumblefish
    2013 Trek Cobia

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surly_an_instigator View Post
    2 year old Pure breed Blue Doberman. Its been about 15 years without a riding buddy of this caliber. This photo is about 13 miles, 22 degrees and the half way point of our ride. I'm a very proud papa.

Is that a Merino Wool sweater he's wearing?
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    A mutt, but loves bike rides..

mtbr member
    Zappa:

and after his puppy match:

Page 59 of 85 FirstFirst ... 9 49 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 69 ... LastLast