Dogs with Passion

Printable View

• 03-27-2017
    bsieb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperStang View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, I am going to look into the booties. I was looking at her cuts this morning and it looks like it is her actual leg that is cut open just below the dew claw(which she doesn't have) on both of her front legs. All of her paws seem to look really good. Thank you.

Careful with boots, they will keep the pads tender. I would only use a boot to temporarily protect an injured pad. Sounds like not an issue, let her run, enjoy!
  • 03-27-2017
    GoldFly
    We thought about boots for our dog but decided against it. Her paws just needed to toughen up a bit, which they did. She does occasionally get cuts on her legs because she likes to cut through the woods and run through trees and branches. We just monitor them and make sure she's not chewing at them. Nothing major; they tend to heal up on their own and she's good to go. Our vet has never shown any concern with it.
  • 03-27-2017
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldFly View Post
    We thought about boots for our dog but decided against it. Her paws just needed to toughen up a bit, which they did. She does occasionally get cuts on her legs because she likes to cut through the woods and run through trees and branches. We just monitor them and make sure she's not chewing at them. Nothing major; they tend to heal up on their own and she's good to go. Our vet has never shown any concern with it.

Yep, the only way to toughen a dog up for this kind of recreation is to allow the pads and the dog to toughen up. It's a natural thing. Using boots promotes tender pads.
  • 03-28-2017
    sXeXBMXer
    I dated a Veterinarian for 13 years. Our dogs (German Shepherds) hiked with her alot. She also said to only use pads to protect a current injury, or if you are in terrain where there are needles or sharp rocks. Young ones just have to callous over.

The only other time for boots was in the cold. We had Shepherds and Huskies and the lived outside...meaning that they always prefered to be out in the cold....we didn't leave them out.
  • 03-28-2017
    dirtrider76
    My Husky only wants inside if its hot out. Cold, snow, windy, rain she wants outdoors.
  • 03-30-2017
    sXeXBMXer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    My Husky only wants inside if its hot out. Cold, snow, windy, rain she wants outdoors.

yep. Our huskies would stay out all night in the winter many times. In the snow, they would dig out a bowl in the snow and lay in it. Sometimes would wake up to them completely covered in new snow in the bowl. Happy as clams!

In the heat, they are right near the AC vents in the house...just like me
  • 04-05-2017
    cerpindicular
    End of the ride storm rolling in.

• 04-05-2017
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cerpindicular View Post
    End of the ride storm rolling in.

And the look of concern. ;):lol::lol::lol:
  • 04-07-2017
    sjmilin
    4 Attachment(s)
    It's been a while since I have been on these forums and this is the first thread I checked to update. Love all the pictures. I may or may not have already uploaded some of these before in this thread but here's my trail dog - a siberian husky named Odin. He actually just turned three a week ago today (on March 31st).

Probably average around seven to ten miles a trip and his longest was around twenty-five. Being an arctic breed living in the desert, I always have to be mindful of the heat. He also can't keep up with my descending speed but will always be trying to catch up when I lose him.

He's slightly camouflaged behind me in one of the shots.

Attachment 1130516Attachment 1130517Attachment 1130518Attachment 1130519
  • 04-07-2017
    sXeXBMXer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sjmilin View Post
    It's been a while since I have been on these forums and this is the first thread I checked to update. Love all the pictures. I may or may not have already uploaded some of these before in this thread but here's my trail dog - a siberian husky named Odin. He actually just turned three a week ago today (on March 31st).

Probably average around seven to ten miles a trip and his longest was around twenty-five. Being an arctic breed living in the desert, I always have to be mindful of the heat. He also can't keep up with my descending speed but will always be trying to catch up when I lose him.

He's slightly camouflaged behind me in one of the shots.

Attachment 1130516Attachment 1130517Attachment 1130518Attachment 1130519

beautiful dog!! My most favorite breed!!! grew up with at least 2 huskies in the house at all times. Wish I could have had mine run with me while I rode, but they were never good off leash dogs. We lost our last one about a year ago and this is the first time in 47 years we have not had one in the house. That will change this summer though!

Ours were NEVER that active in the summer...humid summers of Central Ohio...but in the winter, they would never come in the house!
  • 04-07-2017
    sjmilin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    beautiful dog!! My most favorite breed!!! grew up with at least 2 huskies in the house at all times. Wish I could have had mine run with me while I rode, but they were never good off leash dogs. We lost our last one about a year ago and this is the first time in 47 years we have not had one in the house. That will change this summer though!

Ours were NEVER that active in the summer...humid summers of Central Ohio...but in the winter, they would never come in the house!

He's my first and only husky. I've always had pits and pit mixes and I was originally looking for a GSD - wanted to get a rescue, but all of the shelters that had GSDs were too vicious and unfit for adoption. The idea was to get a dog that could keep up with mountain biking and somebody suggested a husky. Craigslist found me what was essentially a backyard breeder on a farm - no papers, but I saw both parents and his pack of siblings and got him for $300.

I had no idea what I was in for with a husky and am not sure if I will get another one... the puppy months were brutal. He still struggles with recall and some might say that I am a negligent dog owner because of it but he does not pester people or dogs on the trails and stays within eye-sight, so I feel comfortable with our routine. We've easily done a few thousand miles of trail and the only incident I've had on trail was when he went off after a pack of deer and disappeared for thirty minutes before coming back with his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth, completely exhausted, with me freaking out thinking that I'd lost him.

When he was six months old, he discovered that he could jump the four-feet fence that I had in my yard (which I ended up raising to eight feet). He would take himself hiking around the neighborhood and had huge issues with his recall then and wouldn't come back in to the house, I had to drive around the neighberhood with him chasing me until he wore himself out a few times during those puppy months.

Now at three years though we don't have any of those struggles and the only issue he has is that he gets some type of separation anxiety if left unattended in the house -- he'll chew mattresses, couches, even chewed through a hollow door and made himself a doggy door once. He has to be left in the yard if nobody is home and has no issues in the yard but can NEVER be left in the house unattended. Crates don't work either because he breaks out of them.
  • 04-19-2017
    screamingbunny
    1 Attachment(s)
  • 04-19-2017
    sXeXBMXer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sjmilin View Post
    He's my first and only husky. I've always had pits and pit mixes and I was originally looking for a GSD - wanted to get a rescue, but all of the shelters that had GSDs were too vicious and unfit for adoption. The idea was to get a dog that could keep up with mountain biking and somebody suggested a husky. Craigslist found me what was essentially a backyard breeder on a farm - no papers, but I saw both parents and his pack of siblings and got him for $300.

I had no idea what I was in for with a husky and am not sure if I will get another one... the puppy months were brutal. He still struggles with recall and some might say that I am a negligent dog owner because of it but he does not pester people or dogs on the trails and stays within eye-sight, so I feel comfortable with our routine. We've easily done a few thousand miles of trail and the only incident I've had on trail was when he went off after a pack of deer and disappeared for thirty minutes before coming back with his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth, completely exhausted, with me freaking out thinking that I'd lost him.

When he was six months old, he discovered that he could jump the four-feet fence that I had in my yard (which I ended up raising to eight feet). He would take himself hiking around the neighborhood and had huge issues with his recall then and wouldn't come back in to the house, I had to drive around the neighberhood with him chasing me until he wore himself out a few times during those puppy months.

Now at three years though we don't have any of those struggles and the only issue he has is that he gets some type of separation anxiety if left unattended in the house -- he'll chew mattresses, couches, even chewed through a hollow door and made himself a doggy door once. He has to be left in the yard if nobody is home and has no issues in the yard but can NEVER be left in the house unattended. Crates don't work either because he breaks out of them.

Well, your first "roadblock" was the "backyard breeder". Dogs from operations like this are usually neurotic due to inbreeding etc...

How old was he when you got him? Many times the backyard breeders take them away from the mother too early and isolate them right away. This will lead to socialization and other behavioral issues. They are definitely an active breed when young, and you have not been through anything that other s have been through. Sounds like the current seperation issues are probably from the thing I mentioned above. Ours were also jumpers and diggers when they were young as well, and you just had to be aware and proactive. I also had the same "puppy issues" with many of the German Shepherds that we have had....spastic, chewy etc...sort of like kids.

I wish mine would have been able to run with me. It terrified me when they would get out of the yard, and be gone for hours on end. there was no catching them. I was always worried that they would end up on one of the busy roads around here and get hurt

Glad to hear that he is mellowing out. we were never able to get ours crate trained, but were lucky that they did not do that kind of destruction. We would leave them with heir Nyla-Bones and they would be alright, but preferred to be outside as well.
  • 04-19-2017
    June Bug
    Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post

I suddenly want to sniff the air and howl. I don't know why.....
  • 04-20-2017
    sjmilin
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    Well, your first "roadblock" was the "backyard breeder". Dogs from operations like this are usually neurotic due to inbreeding etc...

How old was he when you got him? Many times the backyard breeders take them away from the mother too early and isolate them right away. This will lead to socialization and other behavioral issues. They are definitely an active breed when young, and you have not been through anything that other s have been through. Sounds like the current seperation issues are probably from the thing I mentioned above. Ours were also jumpers and diggers when they were young as well, and you just had to be aware and proactive. I also had the same "puppy issues" with many of the German Shepherds that we have had....spastic, chewy etc...sort of like kids.

I wish mine would have been able to run with me. It terrified me when they would get out of the yard, and be gone for hours on end. there was no catching them. I was always worried that they would end up on one of the busy roads around here and get hurt

Glad to hear that he is mellowing out. we were never able to get ours crate trained, but were lucky that they did not do that kind of destruction. We would leave them with heir Nyla-Bones and they would be alright, but preferred to be outside as well.

I don't think he was separated too early, when I got him, he was in a huge outdoor kennel that he lived in along with a dozen other huskies. Met his grandmother, mother, dad, siblings, aunts, uncles.. it was one massive husky pack that lived outside. The guy was building a house and lived in a trailer with the outdoor dog kennel, as well as lots of chickens and pigs. The grandmother had apparently escaped from the kennel once and had herself a chicken feast so he had to put electric wiring around the dog kennel.

I think a lot of the early issues were probably just my inexperience with the breed but thankfully he's outgrown everything other than the chewing if left inside.

Here's a shot from the halfway point of a 13.5 mile ride we did yesterday.

Attachment 1132842