Dogs with Passion

Printable View

• 12-19-2016
    Slowhead
    [QUOTE=sXeXBMXer;12961764]great dog!!!! I just lost my Shepherd of 14 years last week. Very sudden, but she was pretty sturdy up to the end. First time I have been without dogs in 35 years. Very rough

hug all you dogs extra long today.

My condolences, nice looking girl. What was her name ?
  • 12-20-2016
    Forster
    [QUOTE=Slowhead;12962624]
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    great dog!!!! I just lost my Shepherd of 14 years last week. Very sudden, but she was pretty sturdy up to the end. First time I have been without dogs in 35 years. Very rough

That's always a sucky deal. After we lost our Lab we were in two camps, my son and I wanted another dog immediately because the house seemed empty, my wife never wanted to go through that again (and she has cats). We ended up adopting a 3-year-old Husky at the local shelter. Our best dog to date.
  • 12-20-2016
    mtbxplorer
    1 Attachment(s)
    My Abominable Snowdog
  • 12-20-2016
    sXeXBMXer
    [QUOTE=Slowhead;12962624]
    Quote:

great dog!!!! I just lost my Shepherd of 14 years last week. Very sudden, but she was pretty sturdy up to the end. First time I have been without dogs in 35 years. Very rough

Thanks! Her name was Udo...after Udo Dierkschnieder, the lead singer of Accept. When she was a pup, she would scream a lot as we were kennel training her. our neighbor would compare her to a heavy metal singer. I thought German Shepherd + heavy metal = Udo Dierkschnieder
  • 12-20-2016
    sXeXBMXer
    [QUOTE=Forster;12962849]
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowhead View Post
    That's always a sucky deal. After we lost our Lab we were in two camps, my son and I wanted another dog immediately because the house seemed empty, my wife never wanted to go through that again (and she has cats). We ended up adopting a 3-year-old Husky at the local shelter. Our best dog to date.

I hear ya! I want to get another one or 2 right away but need to finish renovations on the house. Huskies are awesome! We lost our husky this year during the Spring. It has been a rough year for us and dogs, so I definitely see what your wife is thinking, but most people say to get another dog to help get over the loss.

Huskies are my most favorite breed, and are by far the best if you aren't allergic. Great with kids; smart; loving; almost cat like as far as attention demand. Shepherds are my 2nd. This is the first time since 1988 that I have had no dogs in the house. At one point we had 3 huskies,and the shepherd. I am hoping that by summer we have anotehr husky and shepherd
  • 12-20-2016
    sXeXBMXer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post

so jealous!! nothing better than snow on your beard
  • 12-22-2016
    mtbxplorer
    ^^Nice! Being a female, I had not thought of it that way.
  • 12-22-2016
    J:
    Love the freshie snow hop... Boing..boingboingboing: )
  • 12-31-2016
    Mr_Peepers
    1 Attachment(s)
    Last ride of 2016.

Attachment 1113274
  • 01-01-2017
    gooseberry1
    It's been a hard week but I lost my partner of 15 years. Gooseberry the pocket rocket crossed the bridge and is searching for the fun of it and running Gooseberry mesa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • 01-01-2017
    sXeXBMXer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gooseberry1 View Post
    It's been a hard week but I lost my partner of 15 years. Gooseberry the pocket rocket crossed the bridge and is searching for the fun of it and running Gooseberry mesa

I feel for ya. I lost my 14 year old German Shepherd a month ago, and my 13 year old Siberian Husky back in April. They go on to wait for us though! For me, it is the firs ttime in 30 years without dogs. Still rough, but plan on getting another Husky and Shepherd when I move into my new house this Spring.
  • 01-02-2017
    screamingbunny
    run on Goose, have fun on the other side buddy
  • 01-02-2017
    thasingletrackmastah
    This is my 3 year old Beauceron Prince.
    Loves to go on a ride.
    Here some sunny pics from a singlespeed trip in the south of France, last summer.

• 01-02-2017
    gooseberry1
    I'm pretty lucky I still have these monsters

I wish it dry up so we could ride

• 01-02-2017
    sXeXBMXer
    ^^^yeah it is definitely better to have some around when you lose one. Helps the healing process
  • 01-02-2017
    gooseberry1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thasingletrackmastah View Post
    This is my 3 year old Beauceron Prince.
    Loves to go on a ride.
    Here some sunny pics from a singlespeed trip in the south of France, last summer.

My in laws are from the se part of France and I have yet to go but hope to this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 01-03-2017
    bamwa
    [QUOTE=sXeXBMXer;12964074]
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowhead View Post

Thanks! Her name was Udo...after Udo Dierkschnieder, the lead singer of Accept. When she was a pup, she would scream a lot as we were kennel training her. our neighbor would compare her to a heavy metal singer. I thought German Shepherd + heavy metal = Udo Dierkschnieder

I remember Udo from Headbanger's Ball in the day.
  • 01-03-2017
    sXeXBMXer
    [QUOTE=bamwa;12980504]
    Quote:

I remember Udo from Headbanger's Ball in the day.

oh yeah...back when Mtv was good...waaayyyyy back when.....
  • 01-06-2017
    mtbxplorer
    2 Attachment(s)
    Quick trailride with Keep before work. That's his Garmin GPS tracker on the bars. He's got priors. That speck is him, he likes to run in front and keep alert for wildlife. He was a good boy yesterday though; thought he might be off on a flyer when he got over 100 yards away, but he zoomed back when I whistled (second pic).
  • 01-06-2017
    peter.thedrake
    @mtbxplorer that's awesome. My dog is part whippet and a major flight risk so unfortunately I have to keep him in fenced areas. He does get to stretch his legs on a couple of fenced acres I have access to, but no MTB.
  • 01-06-2017
    tjchad
    [QUOTE=sXeXBMXer;12980860]
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bamwa View Post

oh yeah...back when Mtv was good...waaayyyyy back when.....

"Balls to the wall"
  • 01-06-2017
    Sideknob
    1 Attachment(s)
    My young wolfhound x deerhound, Ben.

He's a year old. Big, strong, fast, and also a sensational guard dog. :)
  • 01-06-2017
    screamingbunny
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1114193

Trixxy the maniac trail runt
  • 01-08-2017
    friedhouse
    Kupo is our dog and man does she love the trails. Ive got tons of pictures on the trails with her, but this is my first video I made of us together on the trails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-acuAOL_Y14
  • 01-09-2017
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Fried, great video. Is your pup rattlesnake trained?

I know the temps right now out there the snakes are in hibernation. But later in the day if it gets warm enough they will come out. My pup has since passed away but whenever I took him in rattlesnake prone areas it was always during colder winter months.
  • 01-09-2017
    bsieb
    ^How do you train a dog for rattlesnakes? :)
  • 01-09-2017
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    ^How do you train a dog for rattlesnakes? :)

There are dog training rattlesnake schools in desert regions. They de-venom rattlesnakes and teach dogs to stay clear when they see a snake and hear that sound.

Having spent many years in SoCal / San Diego which is huge rattlesnake habitat outside of the main city. There are schools that do this.

I'm guilty as charged running my little buddy in questionable temperatures in huge rattlesnake country. I was lucky he never had an encounter that I knew about. I knew of dogs that received strikes. Some made it but others didn't. That's why he only went with me during cold temps, cold enough I knew the Rattlers weren't out. But you never know, they could even be out in the low 50's.

I tried to hold back from taking him above 53 degrees to be safe. Early mornings in winter in So.Cal. winter months. I've seen rattlers out in 56 degree temps. And I've had him out pushing that personal limit. even though most statistics state they are active at 65 or higher. Better to be safe than sorry. I can't imagine going through the loss of your little buddy due to selfish human behavior. Putting him / her in that situation. If you live in a desert region and want to run your dog via bike in this terrain, I can't strive enough the importance of putting them in a school like this.
  • 01-09-2017
    mtbg33k
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 1114786

Here is my lab on his first night ride! I was impressed that he stayed with me instead of taking off with the bunnies that shot out across our path.
  • 01-09-2017
    friedhouse
    Sorry to hear about your pup man...I did take her to a rattlesnake class about 15months ago. Think she is due to a refresh course though just in case. We have been riding out in Las Vegas for about 4 years now and only have seen 1 green Mohave on the trails, but once is enough for me. Hope to never see one again. I usually only take the dog out in the winter when it cools, but if I do take her out in the summer, its like 430am....so naturally that doesn't happen often lol
  • 01-09-2017
    friedhouse
    It acutally pretty neat. They do use shock collar treatment on them, but I would rather have that done to my dog than her be interested in a Green Mohave. They had separate situations for the dogs. Some rattle snake shed skin for the dogs to get the scent of associate the pain of shock with the scent as well as the rattle. Then they bring in a live rattler and if the dogs peak interest and move to have a sniff, they get a shock as well. So just associating pain with the sound and smell of the snake. I wasn't personally in there during the session, just the techniques they were telling me when I dropped her off for the class.
  • 01-09-2017
    gooseberry1
    Did the snake avoidance on Goose for SAR and will do it on Sophie once I find one I trust it's a must

• 01-10-2017
    DIRTJUNKIE
    Quote:

Originally Posted by friedhouse View Post
    Sorry to hear about your pup man...I did take her to a rattlesnake class about 15months ago. Think she is due to a refresh course though just in case. We have been riding out in Las Vegas for about 4 years now and only have seen 1 green Mohave on the trails, but once is enough for me. Hope to never see one again. I usually only take the dog out in the winter when it cools, but if I do take her out in the summer, its like 430am....so naturally that doesn't happen often lol

Not sure who that was directed at. My pup passed away but not from a snake bite. I was just relaying on to those unaware that these rattlesnake avoidance courses do exist in desert regions. Highly worth it if you plan on putting your dog st risk by running him in rattlesnake habitat.
  • 01-18-2017
    henrikh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post
    Attachment 1114193

Trixxy the maniac trail runt

Just did a quick double take