Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
Results 2,801 to 2,858 of 2858
    saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperStang View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, I am going to look into the booties. I was looking at her cuts this morning and it looks like it is her actual leg that is cut open just below the dew claw(which she doesn't have) on both of her front legs. All of her paws seem to look really good. Thank you.
    Careful with boots, they will keep the pads tender. I would only use a boot to temporarily protect an injured pad. Sounds like not an issue, let her run, enjoy!
    I ride with the best dogs.

Danger Zone
    We thought about boots for our dog but decided against it. Her paws just needed to toughen up a bit, which they did. She does occasionally get cuts on her legs because she likes to cut through the woods and run through trees and branches. We just monitor them and make sure she's not chewing at them. Nothing major; they tend to heal up on their own and she's good to go. Our vet has never shown any concern with it.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldFly View Post
    We thought about boots for our dog but decided against it. Her paws just needed to toughen up a bit, which they did. She does occasionally get cuts on her legs because she likes to cut through the woods and run through trees and branches. We just monitor them and make sure she's not chewing at them. Nothing major; they tend to heal up on their own and she's good to go. Our vet has never shown any concern with it.
    Yep, the only way to toughen a dog up for this kind of recreation is to allow the pads and the dog to toughen up. It's a natural thing. Using boots promotes tender pads.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

noob bikepacker
    I dated a Veterinarian for 13 years. Our dogs (German Shepherds) hiked with her alot. She also said to only use pads to protect a current injury, or if you are in terrain where there are needles or sharp rocks. Young ones just have to callous over.

The only other time for boots was in the cold. We had Shepherds and Huskies and the lived outside...meaning that they always prefered to be out in the cold....we didn't leave them out.
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    My Husky only wants inside if its hot out. Cold, snow, windy, rain she wants outdoors.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    My Husky only wants inside if its hot out. Cold, snow, windy, rain she wants outdoors.
    yep. Our huskies would stay out all night in the winter many times. In the snow, they would dig out a bowl in the snow and lay in it. Sometimes would wake up to them completely covered in new snow in the bowl. Happy as clams!

In the heat, they are right near the AC vents in the house...just like me
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    End of the ride storm rolling in.

If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

Quote Originally Posted by cerpindicular View Post
    End of the ride storm rolling in.

And the look of concern.
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    It's been a while since I have been on these forums and this is the first thread I checked to update. Love all the pictures. I may or may not have already uploaded some of these before in this thread but here's my trail dog - a siberian husky named Odin. He actually just turned three a week ago today (on March 31st).

Probably average around seven to ten miles a trip and his longest was around twenty-five. Being an arctic breed living in the desert, I always have to be mindful of the heat. He also can't keep up with my descending speed but will always be trying to catch up when I lose him.

He's slightly camouflaged behind me in one of the shots.

Dogs with Passion-odinfalls.jpgDogs with Passion-fd3.jpgDogs with Passion-giant1.jpgDogs with Passion-freel1.jpg

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmilin View Post
    It's been a while since I have been on these forums and this is the first thread I checked to update. Love all the pictures. I may or may not have already uploaded some of these before in this thread but here's my trail dog - a siberian husky named Odin. He actually just turned three a week ago today (on March 31st).

Probably average around seven to ten miles a trip and his longest was around twenty-five. Being an arctic breed living in the desert, I always have to be mindful of the heat. He also can't keep up with my descending speed but will always be trying to catch up when I lose him.

He's slightly camouflaged behind me in one of the shots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	odinfalls.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	1130516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fd3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	1130517Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giant1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	1130518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freel1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	1130519
    beautiful dog!! My most favorite breed!!! grew up with at least 2 huskies in the house at all times. Wish I could have had mine run with me while I rode, but they were never good off leash dogs. We lost our last one about a year ago and this is the first time in 47 years we have not had one in the house. That will change this summer though!

Ours were NEVER that active in the summer...humid summers of Central Ohio...but in the winter, they would never come in the house!
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    beautiful dog!! My most favorite breed!!! grew up with at least 2 huskies in the house at all times. Wish I could have had mine run with me while I rode, but they were never good off leash dogs. We lost our last one about a year ago and this is the first time in 47 years we have not had one in the house. That will change this summer though!

Ours were NEVER that active in the summer...humid summers of Central Ohio...but in the winter, they would never come in the house!
    He's my first and only husky. I've always had pits and pit mixes and I was originally looking for a GSD - wanted to get a rescue, but all of the shelters that had GSDs were too vicious and unfit for adoption. The idea was to get a dog that could keep up with mountain biking and somebody suggested a husky. Craigslist found me what was essentially a backyard breeder on a farm - no papers, but I saw both parents and his pack of siblings and got him for $300.

I had no idea what I was in for with a husky and am not sure if I will get another one... the puppy months were brutal. He still struggles with recall and some might say that I am a negligent dog owner because of it but he does not pester people or dogs on the trails and stays within eye-sight, so I feel comfortable with our routine. We've easily done a few thousand miles of trail and the only incident I've had on trail was when he went off after a pack of deer and disappeared for thirty minutes before coming back with his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth, completely exhausted, with me freaking out thinking that I'd lost him.

When he was six months old, he discovered that he could jump the four-feet fence that I had in my yard (which I ended up raising to eight feet). He would take himself hiking around the neighborhood and had huge issues with his recall then and wouldn't come back in to the house, I had to drive around the neighberhood with him chasing me until he wore himself out a few times during those puppy months.

Now at three years though we don't have any of those struggles and the only issue he has is that he gets some type of separation anxiety if left unattended in the house -- he'll chew mattresses, couches, even chewed through a hollow door and made himself a doggy door once. He has to be left in the yard if nobody is home and has no issues in the yard but can NEVER be left in the house unattended. Crates don't work either because he breaks out of them.

mtbr member
    Dogs with Passion-trixxy-up.jpg

noob bikepacker
    He's my first and only husky. I've always had pits and pit mixes and I was originally looking for a GSD - wanted to get a rescue, but all of the shelters that had GSDs were too vicious and unfit for adoption. The idea was to get a dog that could keep up with mountain biking and somebody suggested a husky. Craigslist found me what was essentially a backyard breeder on a farm - no papers, but I saw both parents and his pack of siblings and got him for $300.

I had no idea what I was in for with a husky and am not sure if I will get another one... the puppy months were brutal. He still struggles with recall and some might say that I am a negligent dog owner because of it but he does not pester people or dogs on the trails and stays within eye-sight, so I feel comfortable with our routine. We've easily done a few thousand miles of trail and the only incident I've had on trail was when he went off after a pack of deer and disappeared for thirty minutes before coming back with his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth, completely exhausted, with me freaking out thinking that I'd lost him.

When he was six months old, he discovered that he could jump the four-feet fence that I had in my yard (which I ended up raising to eight feet). He would take himself hiking around the neighborhood and had huge issues with his recall then and wouldn't come back in to the house, I had to drive around the neighberhood with him chasing me until he wore himself out a few times during those puppy months.

Now at three years though we don't have any of those struggles and the only issue he has is that he gets some type of separation anxiety if left unattended in the house -- he'll chew mattresses, couches, even chewed through a hollow door and made himself a doggy door once. He has to be left in the yard if nobody is home and has no issues in the yard but can NEVER be left in the house unattended. Crates don't work either because he breaks out of them.
    Well, your first "roadblock" was the "backyard breeder". Dogs from operations like this are usually neurotic due to inbreeding etc...

How old was he when you got him? Many times the backyard breeders take them away from the mother too early and isolate them right away. This will lead to socialization and other behavioral issues. They are definitely an active breed when young, and you have not been through anything that other s have been through. Sounds like the current seperation issues are probably from the thing I mentioned above. Ours were also jumpers and diggers when they were young as well, and you just had to be aware and proactive. I also had the same "puppy issues" with many of the German Shepherds that we have had....spastic, chewy etc...sort of like kids.

I wish mine would have been able to run with me. It terrified me when they would get out of the yard, and be gone for hours on end. there was no catching them. I was always worried that they would end up on one of the busy roads around here and get hurt

Glad to hear that he is mellowing out. we were never able to get ours crate trained, but were lucky that they did not do that kind of destruction. We would leave them with heir Nyla-Bones and they would be alright, but preferred to be outside as well.
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post

Name:	trixxy up.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	1132562
    I suddenly want to sniff the air and howl. I don't know why.....
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Well, your first "roadblock" was the "backyard breeder". Dogs from operations like this are usually neurotic due to inbreeding etc...

How old was he when you got him? Many times the backyard breeders take them away from the mother too early and isolate them right away. This will lead to socialization and other behavioral issues. They are definitely an active breed when young, and you have not been through anything that other s have been through. Sounds like the current seperation issues are probably from the thing I mentioned above. Ours were also jumpers and diggers when they were young as well, and you just had to be aware and proactive. I also had the same "puppy issues" with many of the German Shepherds that we have had....spastic, chewy etc...sort of like kids.

I wish mine would have been able to run with me. It terrified me when they would get out of the yard, and be gone for hours on end. there was no catching them. I was always worried that they would end up on one of the busy roads around here and get hurt

Glad to hear that he is mellowing out. we were never able to get ours crate trained, but were lucky that they did not do that kind of destruction. We would leave them with heir Nyla-Bones and they would be alright, but preferred to be outside as well.
    I don't think he was separated too early, when I got him, he was in a huge outdoor kennel that he lived in along with a dozen other huskies. Met his grandmother, mother, dad, siblings, aunts, uncles.. it was one massive husky pack that lived outside. The guy was building a house and lived in a trailer with the outdoor dog kennel, as well as lots of chickens and pigs. The grandmother had apparently escaped from the kennel once and had herself a chicken feast so he had to put electric wiring around the dog kennel.

I think a lot of the early issues were probably just my inexperience with the breed but thankfully he's outgrown everything other than the chewing if left inside.

Here's a shot from the halfway point of a 13.5 mile ride we did yesterday.

Dogs with Passion-odinknobpoint.jpg

Danger Zone
    Hit the trails with Leela and the new derailleur today. Hopefully this one can steer clear of sticks.

Dogs with Passion-img_3592.jpg

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldFly View Post
    Hit the trails with Leela and the new derailleur today. Hopefully this one can steer clear of sticks.

Name:	IMG_3592.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	1135113
    funny that many people can't see the trail in that pic....
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Odin cooling off after a climb.

"Dry pond" in Reno, Nevada. It's not so dry this year...

For some comparison, the second shot with the bike is the same area last year... man, we had a good winter!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-odin0503.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-odin1.jpg  

noob bikepacker
    Odin cooling off after a climb.

"Dry pond" in Reno, Nevada. It's not so dry this year...

For some comparison, the second shot with the bike is the same area last year... man, we had a good winter!!!
    that is like looking into my own version of heaven!
    '15 Surly Krampus

Danger Zone
    funny that many people can't see the trail in that pic....
    Yeah, it's there but it's pretty gnarly; basically just nonstop rocks of various sizes to climb over. I usually have to walk the majority of it.

mtbr member
    Ursa on Ginormous.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    lol yeah he does look a bit worried.
    If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I don't have dog, but now after reading all your experience I will surely think about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    My dog frolicking on our short morning ride a trail we built last year so that such rides are possible.
    Dogs with Passion-bronsonkayls.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Argh! My Siberian Husky trail dog that I often post pictures of on this thread got into a dog fight yesterday while we were riding. I was descending and a buddy was waiting for me at the bottom, he shouted up and asked me if my dog was neutered while he was standing there with another rider who had two dogs. I said he is, and the other guy let his dogs loose who ran up to my dog.

Next thing I know, one of his two dogs and my dog are fighting. I go to try and grab my dog and the other dog locks onto my right calf in the crossfire for a good minute or two while I'm basically just screaming and unable to get the dog off me while my buddy and the other dog owner run up.

Really unfortunate situation, my leg is mangled but hopefully should heal. The other dog owner is paying the urgent care bills. I guess they don't stitch dog wounds because it creates a larger risk of infection but I'm now on crutches and an anti-biotic and 5 mg of hydrocodone for ten days. Both dogs are fine... not sure if I'm going to be bringing my dog when I finally am able to ride again.

Name:  dogbite2.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  7.0 KBDogs with Passion-dogbite3.jpgDogs with Passion-dogbite.jpg

Get on your bike and ride
    Yikes! In 54 years my only dog bite came from puling another
    Husky off my Husky. She couldn't win a fight with a rabbit, so I was pretty concerned. I faired better than you though, just a few small holes in my left hand. Hope your healing goes quickly.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Sorry to hear that @sjmilin. I just got bit by a black lab about 2 weeks ago though not nearly as severely as you!! Mine was just a grab and go and luckily my dog was not with me. It hurt like crazy for about a week or so and it's still swollen. The dog was on a leash too, but the owner didn't have the strength to hold him back. It was an older dude that recently had a stroke and the lab was just to much dog for him.

Dogs with Passion-dogbite.jpg
    Dogs with Passion-dogbite2.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    This is from my last outing with Roxy where we did seven miles. She had been coughing though for the last few weeks so I haven't ridden with her combined with the fact that I had been away for a bit, but she hasn't been coughing lately so I decided to take her out for a small spin and she did great for the first 6 miles. The last mile she just started coughing like crazy, which the wife and I had thought was allergies.

She was slow to finish the run, which I realized that she'd be tired since she hadn't been on a trail for about a month. The concerning thing though is that after the run she was breathing very hard for about 5 hours afterwards. It wasn't fast breathing, just very hard, almost deliberate breaths. I have an appointment to take her to the vet next week and I'll speak to him about this, but it worries me.

Dogs with Passion-roxy1.jpg

Dogs with Passion-roxy2.jpg

Dogs with Passion-roxy3.jpg

Dogs with Passion-roxy4.jpg

noob bikepacker
    Argh! My Siberian Husky trail dog that I often post pictures of on this thread got into a dog fight yesterday while we were riding. I was descending and a buddy was waiting for me at the bottom, he shouted up and asked me if my dog was neutered while he was standing there with another rider who had two dogs. I said he is, and the other guy let his dogs loose who ran up to my dog.

Next thing I know, one of his two dogs and my dog are fighting. I go to try and grab my dog and the other dog locks onto my right calf in the crossfire for a good minute or two while I'm basically just screaming and unable to get the dog off me while my buddy and the other dog owner run up.

Really unfortunate situation, my leg is mangled but hopefully should heal. The other dog owner is paying the urgent care bills. I guess they don't stitch dog wounds because it creates a larger risk of infection but I'm now on crutches and an anti-biotic and 5 mg of hydrocodone for ten days. Both dogs are fine... not sure if I'm going to be bringing my dog when I finally am able to ride again.

Name:  dogbite2.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  7.0 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	dogbite3.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	1137505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dogbite.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	1137506
    that sucks...for both you and the dog! I dated a Veterinarian for 13 years and the one thing i learned was not to get inbetween two dogs in that situation. What she said to do was to squirt both dogs with water...it will usually distract them, and then you can grab them. We were witness to many dog fights when we would go to the park with our dogs, and the water thing almost always worked. Also another reason why I never let my dogs off leash anywhere. I never trust the other guy to have trained their dogs correctly...

I hope you heal quick, and am glad that the dog is alright. I see soooo many off leash dogs when I ride my trails and I am always worried that I am either going to hit them with my bike, or have to kick them to keep me safe..
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    that sucks...for both you and the dog! I dated a Veterinarian for 13 years and the one thing i learned was not to get inbetween two dogs in that situation. What she said to do was to squirt both dogs with water...it will usually distract them, and then you can grab them. We were witness to many dog fights when we would go to the park with our dogs, and the water thing almost always worked. Also another reason why I never let my dogs off leash anywhere. I never trust the other guy to have trained their dogs correctly...

I hope you heal quick, and am glad that the dog is alright. I see soooo many off leash dogs when I ride my trails and I am always worried that I am either going to hit them with my bike, or have to kick them to keep me safe..
    That's exactly what my mom said when I was talking to her about it later.. she said "why did you get in between them?!? you need to spray/throw water at them"

Lesson learned.

Per google, another method I found but it would require both owners to know, is to grab the dogs by the hind legs and "wheelbarrow" them away from each other.

.... this sucks so bad. I'm like tripping out in my head that there may be muscle damage, the most pain that I get is when I am using the gas pedal / brake pedal in my car. Went back to UC today because they do three free wound inspections and they changed the bandage and said it looks good but to come in again tomorrow. Couldn't guarantee that I don't have any muscle damage but they think the pain is just because I'm still swollen / muscle bruised in addition to the various punctures.

noob bikepacker
    That's exactly what my mom said when I was talking to her about it later.. she said "why did you get in between them?!? you need to spray/throw water at them"

Lesson learned.

Per google, another method I found but it would require both owners to know, is to grab the dogs by the hind legs and "wheelbarrow" them away from each other.

.... this sucks so bad. I'm like tripping out in my head that there may be muscle damage, the most pain that I get is when I am using the gas pedal / brake pedal in my car. Went back to UC today because they do three free wound inspections and they changed the bandage and said it looks good but to come in again tomorrow. Couldn't guarantee that I don't have any muscle damage but they think the pain is just because I'm still swollen / muscle bruised in addition to the various punctures.
    funny that you mentioned the wheelbarrow thing....when any of my Huskies would latch on to something (usually long dead animal bodies or some piece of garbage they found in the weeds) I would do the exact same thing... just grab their hind quarters. I wouldn't even have to do it hard, but it would make them drop whatever it was and turn towards me. If I did it too hard they would snap, but not bite. I don't think I would do that in a fight though because they are going to lash out no matter what.

You will be riding again, just don't push it. The pain reminds me of when I get hit in the calves with hockey pucks, or slashed with sticks. IT is painfull cause of the swelling and impact. I have the same thing...hard to manipulate the car pedals...after those injuries
    '15 Surly Krampus

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    That's a bummer. What breed was the dog that bit you?

My V is very non confrontational with other dogs. He just wants to run.
    Only problem I ever had was coming home from a night ride on a very moon lit night, I turned off our lights. I could see great out in the open, but when we got under the canopy of the trees, apparently it wasn't good enough. I just missed a guy out walking his dog at the last second.
    But the dogs were startled enough, that they started to fight.

We got them separated quickly just by calling them, but my V had shot his anal gland and stunk to high heaven.

Here he is this morning.

Dogs with Passion-img_1923.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I think the dog was a pure "airedale" terrier.

I'm not tripping out about the muscle damage that I initially was concerned with, but I have developed a lump. This is day ten post bite and I just took my last antibiotic. I have been off the bandages for about four days and didn't notice the lump until day two off of them... was only on crutches for the first three and I am not really in any pain now outside of what would be expected from punctures healing. Pretty sure that I could ride now if I wasn't fearful of breaking off scabs.

Going to go into urgent care in a day or two and have the lump looked at to see if it needs to be drained or something but it doesn't seem to be getting any bigger and I am hoping that it is just muscle trauma that will resolve itself. I'm no doctor but I think it's a "hematoma" after running a few google searches.

mtbr member

Dogs with Passion

Here's is my 3 yr old hound mix, Gus. Loves to run while I ride. It is funny, when we first start he gets so excited he tries to jump in to my lap or nips my feet. After about 20 feet he calms down and runs
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Quote Originally Posted by Low Pressure View Post
    That's a bummer. What breed was the dog that bit you?

My V is very non confrontational with other dogs. He just wants to run.
    Only problem I ever had was coming home from a night ride on a very moon lit night, I turned off our lights. I could see great out in the open, but when we got under the canopy of the trees, apparently it wasn't good enough. I just missed a guy out walking his dog at the last second.
    But the dogs were startled enough, that they started to fight.

We got them separated quickly just by calling them, but my V had shot his anal gland and stunk to high heaven.

Here he is this morning.

Name:	IMG_1923.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	157.0 KB 
ID:	1138999
    And if he were a human he'd be on stage as a body builder. We've discussed this before, he's an awesome dog.

Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Here's is my 3 yr old hound mix, Gus. Loves to run while I ride. It is funny, when we first start he gets so excited he tries to jump in to my lap or nips my feet. After about 20 feet he calms down and runs
    Good stuff!

mtbr member
    Dogs with Passion-img_1989.jpg

Our little ACD rescue dog, "Lenny." Tried taking him on a ride last week. Unfortunately it ended quickly when he saw a rabbit and darted right in front of me. Luckily, I hit the brakes fast enough to not run him over, but I ended up over the bars and face-planted. Sticking with running with him for now, but hopefully he'll be following me on the mtb soon.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    .... this sucks so bad. I'm like tripping out in my head that there may be muscle damage, the most pain that I get is when I am using the gas pedal / brake pedal in my car.
    Muscle damage heals quickly, easily, and well. It's ligament/tendon damage that is the real b!tch, so if you're clear of that, I wouldn't worry.

Moderator Moderator
    My passionate pup, Keeper. He loves to run. Almost as passionate about MTB'g as wildlife, hence the hi tech GPS collar/antenna, and low tech hunting dog bell and orange vest. Here we're at Millstone Trails in VT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-keeponride.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Got my acd mix out yesterday for his first ride. Kept it short at about a 5 mi ride that was about 2/3rd descent and ended at a trailhead where my wife could pick us up and shuttle back to the condo.

He did really well for his first true ride. Only had two small problems with him. First early in the ride he tried to dart in front of me, and I washed out my front wheel to avoid hitting him and slow speed otb. Then later in the ride I got too far ahead of him and had to go back looking for him, as he was cutting his own trail up a hillside either looking for me, or maybe had chased some wildlife.

Other than that it was smooth sailing, he either ignored or was friendly with every hiker we passed, and even completely ignored two leashed dogs that were barking and trying to get to him.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    "Nalu" Boxer/Shepard/Staffordshire /Pyrenees ( DNA test ) almost two years old, we do 5-10miles 3 times a week, max so far 16miles
    Killer thread ! Everyone's trail dogs are awsum !
    I haven't looked back through the many pages yet, but what are you'all doing to train your dogs for traildog/mountainbike etiquette ? I cant help but feel irresponsible when we're on the trail and my dog runs up to hikers ( hes loves people ) and puts his paws on them / jumps on them. Hes young ( 1.9 years ) and I am working on recall with him ( hes improving ) .
    So far hes just starting to respond to commands like "get behind" and "stay close" and Ive been rewarding him with dried liver treats ( that I make ) .
    What are your'alls experiences with rattlesnakes and your dogs? We've encountered a few this year, and he's just ran by them without noticing.
    What do you'all have in your doggie medical kit? ( if anything )
    What do you'all feed for higher nutrition ??
    Here's mine......we have been riding together for about 10 months ( since the vet gave me the ok / puppies need time to grow first ! ).....Dogs with Passion-dddd.jpgDogs with Passion-ostglassesa.jpgDogs with Passion-gggggga.jpgDogs with Passion-doga1.jpg

MTB B'dos
    Awesome looking pup, looks immensely happy cooling off in the streams

As to training, I'd stick to shortening your commands to one word, seems to work much better when you keep the commands short, so instead of get behind, just use back, for stay close, just train for here/side/close. Also train for sit, stay, and a release command like OK, so he knows when he can move or go ahead of you. You could also train a command to allow him to speak to other trail users, something simple like OK-speak.

Quote Originally Posted by spleeft View Post
    "Nalu" Boxer/Shepard/Staffordshire /Pyrenees ( DNA test ) almost two years old, we do 5-10miles 3 times a week, max so far 16miles
    Killer thread ! Everyone's trail dogs are awsum !
    I haven't looked back through the many pages yet, but what are you'all doing to train your dogs for traildog/mountainbike etiquette ? I cant help but feel irresponsible when we're on the trail and my dog runs up to hikers ( hes loves people ) and puts his paws on them / jumps on them. Hes young ( 1.9 years ) and I am working on recall with him ( hes improving ) .
    So far hes just starting to respond to commands like "get behind" and "stay close" and Ive been rewarding him with dried liver treats ( that I make ) .
    What are your'alls experiences with rattlesnakes and your dogs? We've encountered a few this year, and he's just ran by them without noticing.
    What do you'all have in your doggie medical kit? ( if anything )
    What do you'all feed for higher nutrition ??
    Here's mine......we have been riding together for about 10 months ( since the vet gave me the ok / puppies need time to grow first ! ).....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dddd.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	1143500
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

saddlemeat
    Best/easiest way to teach an mtb pup is to let it run with older (well-mannered, experienced) trail dogs. Easy-peasy.

Turns right to go left
    Dogs with Passion-fullsizeoutput_f8.jpg

Teddy is shaved down and ready for summer. I must say, he is rocking the mohawk.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Pawsome, 410sprint!

Keeper at the green lagoon (an old granite quarry), Millstone Trails, VT. A two hour ride and zero deer chased, yay!

Dogs with Passion-greenlgoon.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by playpunk View Post
    I'm not *real* familiar with the breed, but I think if you want an outdoors "adventure buddy" a Great Dane would be a bad choice, as I don't think they were bred for endurance, and they have more frequent health problems than smaller dogs, AFAIK.

I think either a Lab or Weimaraner would be a good dog if you want an adventure buddy, but I'm also partial to German Shorthaired Pointers and Australian Cattle Dogs.... I think any dog from the sporting or herding groups could be a good trail buddy. Probably *most* terriers, as well.
    I have had 2 Weimaraners. Awesome dog. Only one I will ever own. Caution: They REQUIRE lots of activity. Everyday. They do not take staying at home alone well. You need to work from home or have people there all day or only leave for short periods. They are so loyal and attached that they will get anxiety. Some people cannot tolerate this trait. So I put it out there.
    90% of my rides are with my buddy-Ago.
    Dogs with Passion-weim2.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I think Sodog is happy having me chase her up the climbs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dogs with Passion-ribbon-falls.jpg

saddlemeat
    Roxie, chilling...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-dsc06822-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    The dog (Loki) got there first, for the view.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-resized-alaska.jpg  

mtbr member

Slow humans

Why can't these guys keep up with me (Harding Ice Field).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-slow-humans-resize.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Dogs with Passion-img_0785.jpgFinally brought her out on a slow ride. She loved it, trotted along between shady spots and was a tired pup at the end. Luna is 7 months old now, 60 pounds

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post

Name:	IMG_0785.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	263.6 KB 
ID:	1152020Finally brought her out on a slow ride. She loved it, trotted along between shady spots and was a tired pup at the end. Luna is 7 months old now, 60 pounds
    Awesome Shepherd!!! Makes me really miss my girl! Hopefully will be getting another one around November
    '15 Surly Krampus

May The Force Be With You
    1st time on the bike since foot surgery about a year ago and 1st time in over 2.8 years since biking with Karma, a slow ride and she did marvelous staying with me!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-20988868_10214059266698042_1620476697657796724_o.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-20989132_10214059294978749_4869860457851239428_o.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-20934231_10214059668348083_7550169688274237854_o.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-20842166_1905582369709483_5172491421743192551_n.jpg  

'11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Usually I only take my dogs riding if I'm going out alone as I'm aware they can be a bit of a nuisance, and I feel I always have to ride at the back of the group to make sure they stay behind me and not get in anyones way. When it's just me they sometimes get distracted, stopping to sniff, getting ahead on the climbs and not keeping up on the downhills, they usually require a fair bit of verbal coaching to keep them in line...

Yesterday however, I brought them along when I was riding with two other guys, I got there early and did a quick lap by myself and it was situation normal, however with the two other guys it seemed like the dogs were really keen to "run with the pack", they behaved totally differently! They were going flat out to keep up with us on the downhills, and were quite happy to run with the bunch when we were going up.
    Anyone experienced something similar?

Dogs with Passion-dogs.jpg

May The Force Be With You
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Usually I only take my dogs riding if I'm going out alone as I'm aware they can be a bit of a nuisance, and I feel I always have to ride at the back of the group to make sure they stay behind me and not get in anyones way. When it's just me they sometimes get distracted, stopping to sniff, getting ahead on the climbs and not keeping up on the downhills, they usually require a fair bit of verbal coaching to keep them in line...

Yesterday however, I brought them along when I was riding with two other guys, I got there early and did a quick lap by myself and it was situation normal, however with the two other guys it seemed like the dogs were really keen to "run with the pack", they behaved totally differently! They were going flat out to keep up with us on the downhills, and were quite happy to run with the bunch when we were going up.

Name:	dogs.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	1153090
    yes! but my pup wanted to be with Tyler(yellow shirt)because he was riding faster! lol. but Karma kept coming back to make sure I was still there then would run back up to tyler! Denali was just crazy as usual
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwO2H57_MW8
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post

Name:	dogs.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	1153090
    Yes my dog always runs faster when my daughter is along. It's the pack mentality.
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Ava Bean the pulling machine out for an evening ride with the pug.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-img_20170818_194418.jpg  

"Never get out of the boat. Unless your goin' all the way."

MTB B'dos
    BEAUTIFUL pup

Quote Originally Posted by MulletSlayer View Post
    Ava Bean the pulling machine out for an evening ride with the pug.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Members who have read this thread: 255