Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast
    Unrepentant Cowboy SOB
    Unless the dog is knee high to a grasshopper, smacking into the dog (With a bicycle) isn't going to hurt it.

After a dog is bike savvy (one front tire smack), that dog shouldn't be a problem with bicycles.

Most dogs are smarter than most people so that's no surprise.
    "...it feels like.....times have changed."
    "Times maybe. Not me."

South Mountain Bulimic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
    Sounds like you have a scar from a lack of bike skills. A dog is easy to hop over.
    Actually next time I'm hitting the owner. It's not the dogs fault; he's just being a dog. And the bike skills aren't a problem.

Oh, So Interesting!
    I'm going for a record on how many times the first one can be posted... thanks for the pic edemtbs.

As far as bikes and dogs, if the place you ride allows dogs off a leash expect to encounter dogs off a leash. You guys that complain about it can go ride where dogs aren't allowed if its such a big deal. If you are bothered by a dog when riding in a place where its not allowed I can understand being annoyed. Jeez, some peoples sense of entitlement and ego are getting out of hand...

The kind of looks you get if you don't take them riding enough...

Sleeping after the ride...

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrow
    I get a beer post ride, Suka gets a nap.
    Beautiful husky Tim. I'm still depressed from anonymoronous putting me in my place. I might never ride on the trails again....

Dirt Eater
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by catnash
    Not sure about yours but mine go bonkers when I say BIKE.
    My BC goes crazy when I say "Run." She's got waaaay to high if a prey drive to let her off leash, so no biking for her But we do go for 90+ minute runs and she loves every minute of it.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113
    LOL!!!

love the picture.

Nola is petrified of bikes. if you bring a bike into the room she is in she gets low to the ground, looks paniced, and gets out of the room at the first opportunity.

but....

get her out to the trail and all bets are off....

the rooms in my house may not be big enough to share but the trails have plenty of space.

post ride...

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Model of Grace and Tact
    "Did you say singletrack?"

mtbr member
    Good thread!

Here's my loyal riding partner, Klaus. Unfortunately, he's been sidelined for the last month and a half. He almost died from an intestinal problem (intestinal adhesion or something like that) that needed surgery to correct. As soon as I get his weight back up and the vet clears him, I'll take him back out on the trail.

This is him 3 weeks after his surgery. Still on the skinny side.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
    If it comes down to me and the dog......the dog is getting the bashguard. I still know that they are easy to hop.
    I love these threads where someone posts a pic of his dog having a blast on a ride and then it evolves into the "dogs shouldn't be off leash" argument.

As mtnbiker66 says, if it comes down to me or the dog on the trail, the dog's getting it. Both of our dogs have been hit when they were learning to ride by me and other buddies. My message to them (my buddies) was that they'll learn if they get a tire in their rear a couple of times so I asked them to give the dogs a bit of a tire rub if they didn't yield from a voice command (move). Sure enough, after a few of those, we've never had an issue with them getting in the way again.....that's 2-3 rides per week for 4 and 6 years respectively.

DaveC, your record is in tact!! That pic still rules though....... If I even walk into my garage, my boys know something is up and then start running around the house like a bunch of monkeys on crack.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrow
    I get a beer post ride, Suka gets a nap.
    Did you know that "suka" is russian world for dog

HIKE!
    Yeah, I picked it for the Chukchi (Siberian Native people) word for "fast". While out for a run one day, I yelled "SUKA!" real loud across the park, and a Russian girl was there walking her dog (an officially Off Leash dog park, by the way) and she giggled, said it was Russian for "*****". Not in a derogatory way, but just meant "female dog", huh.

Rez
    mtbr member

Etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by RickD.
    I love dogs. I love dogs a lot. I've ridden with guys who have their dogs hauling ass right with us, head right off their back wheel. But I also have a nice scar across the bridge of my nose from where I went over the bars after trying to avoid a dog not on a leash. I would consider having a dog not on a leash the same as being a d**k on the trails. It's a matter of etiquette.
    Rick D,
    It seems you have a good perspective of the English language but do you actually understand it. You state that “It’s a matter of etiquette”. But what gives you the right to jump into a thread with the title “dogs w/ Passion” and ***** like a little school girl. Typically, I would not respond to something as trivial as your comments. But when I reviewed your profile I discovered that you live in Chicago and have invested over 6 g’s into a mountain bike. Then I realized what type of person you are, a gas guzzling yuppie SUV driver. Who leaves the city to come out to the the country side for your riding. Maybe we would rather you stay in the city, since you seem to leave a trail of destruction where ever you go.

I ride every day with dogs and have yet to be taken out by one of them. But I do have bike skills which have come from years of riding. However, even with my bike skills, I have been taken out by bikers who ride out of control. I do not know your bike skills nor do I care. But if you can’t miss a dog in the trail, you should buy some lessons. That seems to be your MO

In conclusion, you are being a d**k on this thread. Go back to your condo and ride the lake front.

Ridin in UT
    Thanks boneheads for ruining what started out to be a great thread about dogs.. Instead all I get to hear is how my dog is in your way. blah blah blah

To those who posted pics of their dogs. Rock on, I want to see more!

Maya's got the passion
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Great trail pups! My dogs have passion, but doubt they could keep up on the trail. My dog, Sasha (the one in the background) would fit in my Camelbak, but she's terrified of it.

mtbr member
    Dumb double-post

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Kona post ride

Kona trying to eat squirrels
    Last edited by vinnycactus; 05-16-2007 at 08:15 AM.

Group Hug Participant

Hi Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by marks_bike
    Good thread!

Here's my loyal riding partner, Klaus.
    Here's Lilli. She goes fricken nuts (as many of my crew can attest) as soon as we get in the lot. Out of the gate, she's good to go! Even poops off trail.
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

My Rusty Knee
    wow. these are some of the nicest photos i have seen on mtbr. great looking dogs peeps.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RuLz
    Here's Lilli. She goes fricken nuts (as many of my crew can attest) as soon as we get in the lot. Out of the gate, she's good to go! Even poops off trail.
    Nice! Klaus is the same way, he'll do that bark/howl thing the whole way to the trail head. Cracks me up!

Man, Lilly is huge compared to Klaus. He was real sick when he was a puppy, it kind of stunted his growth. I gotta mini weim. Still a spaz though, makes me tired just watching him. --Mark

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Interesting thread. Mixed emotions for me. I own a beautiful dog, but do not ride with her. The bottom line is we as dog owners are responsible for our pets. If we choose to walk, or ride with the animal off the leash, it falls on us. Where I live, its against the law to have them unleashed. I admire the well trained animals who are able to run with the bikers. But if a situation arrives, the owner better be prepared to get off the bike, or do whatever it takes to ensure the safty, or comfort of others. I am on both sides here. There are times when I am walking my dog, and a biker hauls past us at a much too close distance. It startles myself, and sometimes the dog. 2 months ago while I was riding, a unleashed large dog decided to run me down. At 1st he was biting at my rear tire. I stopped, and he decided my foot looked like a better object to him. At this point, I reached into my pack, and grabbed a folding baton that I carry. Long story short, I broke his front paw. The owner called the police on me. The owner was cited for unleashed pet, and some wreckless BS charge. I did not choose to persue any other charges. As a pet owner, if my dog ever showed aggression like that, I would drive her head thru the ground! No matter what the situation, a responsible pet must do whatever is necessary to ensure the safty and well being of other animals, and people.

mtbr member
    Berlin loves to ride. Only way to get her even close to tired, unfortunately if she is tired I am dead. Never had a problem with her on the trails, she knows the sound of a fast rolling tire and jumps off the trails if she hears one gaining.

http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1179255859
    DSC00844.JPG

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsXC
    Interesting thread. Mixed emotions for me. I own a beautiful dog, but do not ride with her. The bottom line is we as dog owners are responsible for our pets. If we choose to walk, or ride with the animal off the leash, it falls on us. Where I live, its against the law to have them unleashed. I admire the well trained animals who are able to run with the bikers. But if a situation arrives, the owner better be prepared to get off the bike, or do whatever it takes to ensure the safty, or comfort of others. I am on both sides here. There are times when I am walking my dog, and a biker hauls past us at a much too close distance. It startles myself, and sometimes the dog. 2 months ago while I was riding, a unleashed large dog decided to run me down. At 1st he was biting at my rear tire. I stopped, and he decided my foot looked like a better object to him. At this point, I reached into my pack, and grabbed a folding baton that I carry. Long story short, I broke his front paw. The owner called the police on me. The owner was cited for unleashed pet, and some wreckless BS charge. I did not choose to persue any other charges. As a pet owner, if my dog ever showed aggression like that, I would drive her head thru the ground! No matter what the situation, a responsible pet must do whatever is necessary to ensure the safty and well being of other animals, and people.

That sucks about your laws... I have worked with my dog enough to trust him around kids, dogs, and horses. Cats and Cows on the other hand are fair game . Sometimes I will have a shock collar on mine if we will be around grazing cattle, etc. but I never really need to use it anymore. There are area where dogs are allowed off the leash, but if the dog cannot follow voice commands it can be an issue.

One of the plusses of riding with my dog is he will grab other dogs and pull them away from me if they act suspicious or jump up on me. He's done that a couple times without hurting the other dog. He will only get mean if another dog outright attacks him.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Great looking dog Dave. What breed is he? How much does he weigh? How old is he?

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by LarsXC
    Great looking dog Dave. What breed is he? How much does he weigh? How old is he?
    He's an American Pit Bull Terrier, 2.5 yrs old, 65 lbs

He won Judge's Choice from Hank Greenwood, Chairman of the ADBA at a show last summer: http://www.adbadog.com/p_home.asp but his tail sticks out a touch too high which might keep him from being a grand champion show dog. I don't have the time to show him anyway, rather be riding...

I'm guessing yours is an apbt, or maybe an amstaff?

Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast