Page 15 of 55 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    habitual line-stepper
    cell phone pic after todays ride. last time i went riding without her, my wife said she whined and cried then pouted in her bed 'til i got home guess a little mud never hurt anyone
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BarkerDome
    Attachment 430502
    Future trail dog
    What are you doing with your hands man?

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by eallan
    Luke Recently
    Nice looking dog, what kind is he?

mtbr member
    This thread rocks. Unfortuantely, I let my dog get out of shape. I need to figure out how to work him back into shape enough to go on rides with me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

yesterday on the local trail

This is my girl Emma. She is a custom - 1/2 heeler and 1/2 whatever daddy was.

This was her first trail ride and she did great

-b

Pretty in Pink
    Quote Originally Posted by bernside
    This is my girl Emma. She is a custom - 1/2 heeler and 1/2 whatever daddy was.

This was her first trail ride and she did great

-b
    How much does she weigh? looks like some sheppard, hard telling though, typically heelers dont have a long nose its shorter to their face. She is pretty
    "There are two ways of spreading light ...
    To be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it."
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkBarron
    How much does she weigh? looks like some sheppard, hard telling though, typically heelers dont have a long nose its shorter to their face. She is pretty
    Thanks PinkBarron, I will tell her you said so.

She is a solid little dog, weighs close to 60 lbs, which is too much, but she is stuck by herself in the yard all day while I am at work.

Her mom was a really pretty 30 lb heeler that a guy was breeding but the day before the "arranged" marriage, daddy jumped the fence.

Plus size jersey model
    Here are a few from todays short ride. Its still a little warm but she couldn't wait any longer to get out and ride its been a long hot summer here.

The life.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    looks like someone had fun.

My wife would shoot me if I let the dog on the couch though.

-b

mtbr member
    Stumbled on this thread and must share my most loyal riding companion, she just turned 2 on Halloween. Without further ado I present Katie the mountain dog . (labmix)

meow meow
    dont have a dog but my cat sure has passion!

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by mattybfat
    Stumbled on this thread and must share my most loyal riding companion, she just turned 2 on Halloween. Without further ado I present Katie the mountain dog . (labmix)

riding buddy and a bike gard
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    ahhhh I'm so jealous. My buddies and I in my biking club (SUNY Oneonta MTB) keep wishing we could get Student Assembly funds to buy a traildog. Don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon though....bummer.

As for all those negative nancies who are complaing about rover on the trails, I think it's awesome that people have their dogs trained to run the trails. And in my experience, anyone with a dog has been responsible and courteous. The one time I did have a fun-in with a dog, It wasn't anyone's fault but the owneer/rider still said "sorry, he's still kinda new," and all 3 of us went along our merry ways. Cheers!
    Go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Rita the Retriever loves to ride. Rescued as a puppy from a shelter - her momma looked like a black Flat Coat Retriever, and had 6 pups at the shelter - 5 were golden females, 1 was a black male. Cutest litter ever. Dad was a "traveling salesman", so we don't know what he was - probably a Golden.

She's everything we could ask in a dog:

- GREAT with kids
    - Enthusiastic 24/7
    - Doesn't shed
    - Sweet disposition
    - GREAT listener
    - Wants to please

Schmed
    2001 Turner O2 XC
    2012 IndyFab Planet Cross CX
    2013 Kona Raijin SS
    2016 Scott Big Jon

mtbr member
    She's good for about 7-8 miles, then its nighty night!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-7miler.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by styonile
    What are you doing with your hands man?
    I was just wondering the same thing!!! lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    mine will go longer on more technocal trails. where i'll average 5-51/2 mph. i got them to do 15mi at the end of the summer when it got cooler outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by acfsportsfan
    She's good for about 7-8 miles, then its nighty night!

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009

Good job! Best thread ever! (and asking for advice)

I really really enjoy all your pics and comments (I tried to read most of it...I swear)...great dogs!! Congratulations!!

now..please help!.. I have been thinking a lot about getting a dog and I think I almost convince the wife!! she also saw some pics of this thread with me yesterday!! As a kid I had Cocker Spaniels and Basset Hounds...but now I want a big dog...In fact I was thinking about a Lab a lot.

I want a Dog which easy to train (if that really exist) and since I saw this thread I also want one who can join me on long rides (6 hrs at least), including stops when he (or me) needs it.

I live in Monterrey, Mexico....during summer we can reach 45C (113F) and during Winter as low as 0C (32F) but when is extremly cold....8C (46.4F) is more commun...

Am I going right with a lab?

Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    you have to be careful of the pads on thier feet. over long periods of running they'll separate from thier feet.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    I really really enjoy all your pics and comments (I tried to read most of it...I swear)...great dogs!! Congratulations!!

now..please help!.. I have been thinking a lot about getting a dog and I think I almost convince the wife!! she also saw some pics of this thread with me yesterday!! As a kid I had Cocker Spaniels and Basset Hounds...but now I want a big dog...In fact I was thinking about a Lab a lot.

I want a Dog which easy to train (if that really exist) and since I saw this thread I also want one who can join me on long rides (6 hrs at least), including stops when he (or me) needs it.

I live in Monterrey, Mexico....during summer we can reach 45C (113F) and during Winter as low as 0C (32F) but when is extremly cold....8C (46.4F) is more commun...

Thanks!!!
    I think so, these were the same reasons I choose mine!

Things to note, if ya choose from a pup or already grown e.g if ya pick up from SPCA etc!

Is do your research on the Dogs father and mother, lol.

To me Labs Pure or Mixed are good though the latter, mixed for biking and pet is better imo, reason is PURE breeds can depending on the breeder and history can give problems, so know ya information and what you're looking at, its not a show dog, its a riding dog and family member!

Same with mixed, I like this option cause you can search out the desired characteristic for the trail life and family life and the cross breeds can make a stronger dog if again the history is good and the mixed breeds are good!

I struck it lucky as mine [Maxxis] dad was pure breed Lab, so he has the big head and lab characteristics retrieving fearless in water and just a great dog!
    Mum was wippet [greyhound like] with lots of other breeds in her too, she had a great calm nature[something Maxxis doesen't possess yet but hes still a pup @ 17months] she was tall long and lean!

So Maxxis has leaner longer les than Pure lab is leaner in body, dosen;t have that chubby lab look once they fill out hes still got size but hes balanced and purfect for trail dog!

One weakness maybe color, so off white or brown maybe better for you, Maxxis is black so temp maybe an issue where u live!

It gets hot here too in sumer and cold in winter, probably colder maybe not quite a hot, high 30s C in summer!

But fear not about pads and things, if you get a pup, then it will be 16months to 2 years before you can run him hard behind a bike!, that does not mean he can;t run etc!

These things just take time to build up so you don;t do body damage to them when theyre young!

Pads harden up naturally if you walk them on all surfaces, my boys are hard and hes never bleed, I walk him on sela roads, grass beach I introduced him to everything very young in controlled enviroments and have kept consistency!, He swam very ealry on and is now part fish lol.

Just take time be sensible, they go through the teribale 2s a bit younger than kids but teaching and training is time no matter the breed, anything else and someis selling you BS.

THough I have cottoned onto a great new lead for walking it magic and its very good for him, our lead walks are no a pure joy for both of us!

Feeding is also import, labs and most dogs do not need lots of variety, I feed my dog oure meaty bones, costs me less than $6 bucks a week and the vet hates me no business for them!

Im not and nver have been a fan of dry foods, ya don;t get that in the wild!

Remember any dog is 99% wold the rest is domesticated dog, Wolfs don;t get kibble in the wild they don;t get health problems like domestic dogs cause they don't get feed ****, they don;t have obease problems like Domestic humans or dogs!

Its all very basic, only people **** it up!

Now do it and it will be the best decision you made, oh and dog should choose you!

Mine always have an it creates an amazing bond, bit more difficult if many family members, but still they sort it out!

Good luckand enjoy
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Now do it and it will be the best decision you made, oh and dog should choose you!

Mine always have an it creates an amazing bond, bit more difficult if many family members, but still they sort it out!

Good luckand enjoy
    Wow trailadvent! thanks for your answer! yours were one of the pics I liked the most!

Please, having so much time without a dog and the terms associated?..what do you mean by that?

I also just quoted you in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...75210#poststop

you may want to post there...

thanks again for your time..highly appreciated

trail fairy
    Wow trailadvent! thanks for your answer! yours were one of the pics I liked the most!

Please, having so much time without a dog and the terms associated?..what do you mean by that?

I also just quoted you in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...75210#poststop

you may want to post there...

thanks again for your time..highly appreciated
    Will do posting in other thread, ya might have to remind me though about yr above question! re the time thing my mems not the best after nmy head injury it dosen't ring a bell! ?

cheers!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Will do posting in other thread, ya might have to remind me though about yr above question! re the time thing my mems not the best after nmy head injury it dosen't ring a bell! ?

cheers!
    ...oh and dog should choose you!
    hehe sorry for my english!! I meant....me having so much time without a dog...didnt understand what you said about the dog choosing me...thanks!!

trail fairy
    hehe sorry for my english!! I meant....me having so much time without a dog...didnt understand what you said about the dog choosing me...thanks!!
    No worris, yeah once ya get to the stage of looking at the dogs either at the breeders or rescuse center there is always one that comes to you thats the one you should choose, in my case Maxxis bumped the rest of the litter out of the way and sat on my foot and sorta said to the rest hes mine now bugga off

Normally ya should choose the meekiest in the pack as they are the easiest to convert and accpet you as pack leader, mine was the pack leader of the pups, biggest and baddest, thats what I seem to atttract lol hes had his moments of definance, but I have time to spend with him so we work it out, he knows who his leader is but that dosent mean he dosen;t try it on from time to time just to keep me on my toes!

He will always have the scars his mother gave him as a pup from testing her authority adds character to him!

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes, take your time there's no rush best to get whats best for you and them! Its a journey and a buzz for sure!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member

ultimate trail dog

i knew my next dog would have to like mtn biking, so after a lot of research....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-09_21_09-072.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-09_21_09-063.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm not on a mission to beat the crap out of myself and everyone else; it just comes naturally with the single speed

Pretty in Pink

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jsord
    i knew my next dog would have to like mtn biking, so after a lot of research....
    Beautiful Heeler, I love mine!
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

mtbr member
    This is how my dogs are hipnotized when we are goin to hit the trails
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-040.jpg  

mtbr member
    this is how my dogs are hipnotized before we hit the trail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-040.jpg  

mtbr member
    These are my two buddys, Bowie the smaller white guy is a maltese shih tzu mix coming up on a year old and Bentley the Golden retriever poodle mix is our newest addition 2 weeks fresh into our family he is only 3.5 months old . They are so great together Bowie makes so much noise when theyre playing while bentley holds it strong. While I got bentley for a trail dog I do plan on bowie tagging along on smaller less demanding rides. Now I just have to wait 8 or 9 more months til hes grown and ready to run! cant wait!

mtbr member
    These are my two buddys, Bowie the smaller white guy is a maltese shih tzu mix coming up on a year old and Bentley the Golden retriever poodle mix is our newest addition 2 weeks fresh into our family he is only 3.5 months old . They are so great together Bowie makes so much noise when theyre playing while bentley holds it strong. While I got bentley for a trail dog I do plan on bowie tagging along on smaller less demanding rides. Now I just have to wait 8 or 9 more months til hes grown and ready to run! cant wait!

NMBP
    We just rescued this little guy yesterday. He'll be hitting the trails in 4 or 5 months.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-pb132552-large-.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-pb132578-large-.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-pb142589-large-.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-pb142591-large-.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-pb142597-large-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

trail fairy
    Had to post this shot of Maxxis this morning fav spot his water hole, any water hes off, flying
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-0_95712700_1258229165_xxxpxt__lt_642102642977xxx_15-11-09_0900.jpg  

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Here's my trail pup. Today was her first day mountain biking and she had a blast, a perfect trail dog. Met 3 other dogs on the trail, zero issues. She's a rescue, mother was a DSP, father a huskey.

day 1

today at 6 months

nap time

banned
    Oct 2009
    So what do you all think about when you see trailhead signs that declare that dogs must be on leash? it seems like many users came to a general consensus that dogs should not be off leash,do you go ahead and break the law?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sexytime
    So what do you all think about when you see trailhead signs that declare that dogs must be on leash? it seems like many users came to a general consensus that dogs should not be off leash,do you go ahead and break the law?
    Everyone has to weigh the odds and cost of getting caught against the effort to leash and the the value of their dogs well being.

banned
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    Everyone has to weigh the odds and cost of getting caught against the effort to leash and the the value of their dogs well being.
    Ido not want to be responsible for my dog injuring a bike rider,I leave her at home when I ride, the odds caught up with me when a dog darted out onto single track and took me out

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i've logged hundreds of miles with my 3 dogs. only once have i been cut off and crashed. i'd say odds are pretty good that you can ride a very long time before it happens again

mtbr member
    Ido not want to be responsible for my dog injuring a bike rider,I leave her at home when I ride, the odds caught up with me when a dog darted out onto single track and took me out
    Yeah, there is that too. That is while almost everyone has mention to train the dog to yield the trail. you, as the leader also have to be aware, on the lookout, and in control. If it is a significant risk, then don't take it. I mean, there is a risk that I might hit someone on the trails. I will have to be careful and deal with that if it happens, but I am going to keep riding.

banned
    Oct 2009
    the sign posted said no dogs off leash, the dog dodged out from brush and blindsided me,I really encourage all trail users to follow trail etiquette on developed trails,I had animal control pay him a visit after signing a complaint,have not seen him since.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Here is my little guy, a 9 month old Vizsla, helping me bleed the brakes on my DJ bike. He hasn't been on any trails yet, but he likes getting in the way while I'm working on the bikes and he does real well for short on leash bike rides around the neighborhood.

Big Mac
    the sign posted said no dogs off leash, the dog dodged out from brush and blindsided me,I really encourage all trail users to follow trail etiquette on developed trails,I had animal control pay him a visit after signing a complaint,have not seen him since.
    NO ONE CARES!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If I had my dog leashed to my bike, one of us would get hurt. Simple as that

the catalan connection

she loves cleaning my bike

frame, wheels, brakes...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs with Passion-wat.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-frame.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-brake.jpg  

Dogs with Passion-wheel.jpg  

"Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Gracie, our Aussie, is up to 13 miles on the trail. When she returns from our local loop of 7 miles, she grabs the ball out of the back of the Honda and is ready for more.

mtbr member

Took the boys to see Santa last weekend

Getting a dog to sit still and look at the camera is tough.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Pretty in Pink
    Ozzy my 1 year old ACD after a long evening ride in the snow drug his bed over next to the tree and crashed for the night.

~ Edith Wharton ~

banned
    Dec 2009
    He is out!

Pretty in Pink
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo123
    He is out!
    He has done some pretty long rides, but I think trecking the powder wore him out more than anything we could have thrown at him speed or distance wise.
    ~ Edith Wharton ~

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

trail dog

Thanks!!!
    I love my australian shepherds. They are medium to large, extremely intelligent and teachable with consistency and very durable with energy and stamina. They are herding breed, and they work hours on end at this, so it is in their blood. I have had them all of my life, with a few other breeds by default, and they are by far the best for active lifestyles. No genetic hip issues. My dog drinks from our water bladders, and will dip in a stream or lake to cool off. Most of the herding breeds are a good choice, border collies, cattle dogs, ect. Awesome dogs available thru aussie rescues for a nominal fee. Good Luck