Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dog Owners

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Dog Owners

I am looking for advice on trianing my dog to run with me while I bike on the trails. I have already looked into it and it is legal to have a dog off the leash. I took my dog out one tome and what she does is sprints up the trail about 25 yards then stops and runs back towards me so I then have to slow down.

What I am loking for is: does anyone have advise or training on how I can trian my dog to stay closer to me and run at the same speed that I am biking? I have her trained not to run up to other people so she would not bothers others biking or hiking.

Post pics of your dogs on the trail!

mtbr member
    i dont know, probably something treat oriented. if you could teach the dog to heel it should be easy enough the get it to stay closer. but then again i never could get my dog to heel, but when i rode she would always stay pretty close to me.

mtbr member
    I'd like to do the same with my dog. For some reason while walking she heels perfectly but when I get on the bike she will either run far infront of me and then run back, or she will try and bite my tires (no good for either of us).

mtbr member
    lol, well if i had to guess your dog feels uncomfortble about you being on a bike, i had the same kind problem with my dog and body board(and snow boards and razors and alot of things lol)

Look out!
    How about a hot dog on a stick attached to the bike? You trained her not to run up to others just apply those techniques to the ride. So, when she runs back towards you does she come right at the bike? Does she veer away at the last second? My dog loves to run up ahead will come back to see where I am at but generally moves out of the way when he gets too close. If all else fails, you could gently bump into her and she would get the idea that she's to stay away from the bike. Or, you could just be really fast so she stays behind you. Good luck.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrid
    How about a hot dog on a stick attached to the bike? You trained her not to run up to others just apply those techniques to the ride. So, when she runs back towards you does she come right at the bike? Does she veer away at the last second? My dog loves to run up ahead will come back to see where I am at but generally moves out of the way when he gets too close. If all else fails, you could gently bump into her and she would get the idea that she's to stay away from the bike. Or, you could just be really fast so she stays behind you. Good luck.
    no, she usually stops and turns back and runs before she gets to the bike. my main concern is when there is a fork in the trail and i want to go a certain way. I also know that if she can not do this correctly I can just keep her at home when i ride the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    My 5 all know "come", "wait", "stay". I imagine anything done on two legs, can be done on two wheels. A couple of my pugs go hiking with me, so they need to know those commands. Food reward is your best bet for now. Something your dog adores. Don't have a dog come to you unless you have a reward handy, in order to get that good solid "recall" down. My most used command though is "wait". If one of mine gets too far ahead of me and I call out that command, they freeze, watch and do just that.. wait. I used 20 ft training lines for that, then when they were stopping and waiting reliably, i stopped using them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    in reply to the dog running ahead and what happens if there is a split in the trail. I take my dog with me on the trail about 3 to 4 times a week. he's a border collie australian sheppard mix (100% mutt!) so the endurance is there. What I did to start him out is to take him out on the street with a leash on. when he tried to run in front of me I bumped him with the tire. I got him scared of getting near the tire. this took several attempts and several yelps (more scared than anything) but he got the point. My dog very rarely runs in front of me (I'm the pack leader, not him) unless it's the first mile then I let him sprint around like crazy to get that first burst of energy out. Then he always falls back (or I make him fall back.) If I come to a fork in the trail and he's not there, I take it anyway and keep on rolling. This teaches him to keep in eye contact with me. I've ridden for about 20 minutes without seeing my dog and then he showed up a little later. That was a rare case. He always stays within sight of me. There is nothing better than a good trail dog. It makes happy dogs and happy dogs are good dogs. Good dogs make happy owners. there is no better way IMHO than to let a dog run around in the woods and be a dog. I hope this helps! I would love to post a pic but I don't know how. I've got a Mac OSX and can't figure it out!!!

Group Hug Participant
    Before I rode with my dog on the trails, I ran with her both on and off leash. My main focus was the "back" command. I would use the command while running and if she was to close, slap backwards with my hand and swat her nose.
    If she ran off in front of me, I would stop all together, get her attention, then literally force her to get behind me, sometimes turning around and heading the opposite direction just to prove my point.
    Once I was comfortable running with her, we moved onto biking. Again using the "back" command, I can keep her just off my rear wheel (sometimes swatting her nose to keep her in place). I also think it's important that you pick a side she should always be on. For me, it's on the left, away from the chain.
    Another command I use is "GO". I use this for sending her off, out in front of me. Make sure you use lot's of praise and rewards for proper behavior.
    The only thing I've had a problem with is other dogs on the trail. Being the social butterfly that she is, she'll sometimes run up on hikers or other dogs. There's been little I can do when it does happen, but I always make an effort to tell hikers/bikers/dog walkers that she is friendly and just wants to say "hi". It's during these times that I'll use the "GO" command and remind her that it's time to hit the trail again and keep running, again praising any good behavior.

Riding with a dog can be a pain in the arse, but rewarding at the same time. They make great riding partners when everyone else bails on ya. The most important issues are to always be prepared and have a leash handy, watch for other trail users, have a medkit, remove trail doo-doo, and make sure dogs are allowed on your trail. Oh yeah, know your dog's limits.
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr33
    I am looking for advice on trianing my dog to run with me while I bike on the trails. I have already looked into it and it is legal to have a dog off the leash. I took my dog out one tome and what she does is sprints up the trail about 25 yards then stops and runs back towards me so I then have to slow down.

What I am loking for is: does anyone have advise or training on how I can trian my dog to stay closer to me and run at the same speed that I am biking? I have her trained not to run up to other people so she would not bothers others biking or hiking.

I just recently began to take my dog on the trails. She has always liked bikes, she gets excited whenever I touched my bike. The first thing I did was take her to a school and Id ride around the track, she kinda naturally would run on my right and just a few feet behind me. The first ride I took her on was close to home, we did a 6 mile ride, she was pretty tired.The next ride was just over 10 miles, on steeper climbs she likes to lead( she wants to go faster) then when we hit single track she follows behind. I still have to wait for her a bit, as she gets confused when she cant see me. My dog also likes to chase deer and squirrels, and heaven forbid she see's a rabbit. She does'nt do anything but chase, the problem is, it has really worn her out. The more we ride the better she does, but she's still learning. When she does good I reward her as the others have mentioned. She just loves getting out on the trails and running. Oh yeah, I usually start her out on a retractable leash, thenn when she's ready, Ill let her run free. It is fun riding with her, everybody on the trails has really enjoyed her.

Sean

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    I just recently began to take my dog on the trails. She has always liked bikes, she gets excited whenever I touched my bike. The first thing I did was take her to a school and Id ride around the track, she kinda naturally would run on my right and just a few feet behind me. The first ride I took her on was close to home, we did a 6 mile ride, she was pretty tired.The next ride was just over 10 miles, on steeper climbs she likes to lead( she wants to go faster) then when we hit single track she follows behind. I still have to wait for her a bit, as she gets confused when she cant see me. My dog also likes to chase deer and squirrels, and heaven forbid she see's a rabbit. She does'nt do anything but chase, the problem is, it has really worn her out. The more we ride the better she does, but she's still learning. When she does good I reward her as the others have mentioned. She just loves getting out on the trails and running. Oh yeah, I usually start her out on a retractable leash, thenn when she's ready, Ill let her run free. It is fun riding with her, everybody on the trails has really enjoyed her.

Sean
    riding around a school track is a really good idea.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

smw
    pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    riding around a school track is a really good idea.

rt

Yep, sometimes Ill just ride some miles around the track, that stuff they use to surface it actually puts some resistance on the tire. Not bad to stay in shape, do intervals down the straight aways, and not cause damage to the soaked trails around here. Its one step better then a trainer in my opinion.

Sean

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    thanks for all the replies! looks like i will do a bunch of different things from treats to riding on a track to train her. thanks all!!

no pictures yet??!!

i need to get one too I guess.

ride hard take risks
    A customer of mine rides with his dog, one day he turned left & the dog continued straight got his right leg stuck inside the front wheel & disc. Had to cary the dog out on his bike for emergency visit to the vet for major seurgery. The two still ride together with a bit more caution.

No Justice = No Peace

"Heel"

The command means that you want your dog to get at your side and stay there. Any decent hunting or workinbg dog should know it as well as "come" or "sit" and he or she will remain at your side until you let him off. A really good dog won't even let his eyes wander from your command hand or eyes.

Most easy commands like this are best taught on a leash. Take it very very slowly. A little dominant behavior on your part (no beatings required), and a lot of positive reassurance - petting, praise and treats - NOT just the goodies. After our dog masters the "heel" command on leash, practice it off leash, then try introducing the bike. I like the idea of a school track, but anywhere easy and not confusing to the dog will work.
    "Welcome to my underground lair...."

The Dog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222
    Very good advice.

mtbr member

Nice sunglasses

Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    A customer of mine rides with his dog, one day he turned left & the dog continued straight got his right leg stuck inside the front wheel & disc. Had to cary the dog out on his bike for emergency visit to the vet for major seurgery. The two still ride together with a bit more caution.
    Nice sunglasses

Lindsay

Does rattlesnake training exist for dogs?

A hiker once told me his dogs passed a training course on rattlesnake avoidance? Was he pulling my bra? This is one trail hazard that unleashed pet owners need to be prepared for bec of the inquisitive nature of the animal. How many times have I come upon a scary evil rattlesnake minding his own business laid out on the middle of a trail?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

yes it does

Quote Originally Posted by Once_Upon_A_Time
    A hiker once told me his dogs passed a training course on rattlesnake avoidance? Was he pulling my bra? This is one trail hazard that unleashed pet owners need to be prepared for bec of the inquisitive nature of the animal. How many times have I come upon a scary evil rattlesnake minding his own business laid out on the middle of a trail?
    In Los Angeles it does. (The land of the weirdos) My friend did it, they bring a snake and do some sort of thing with it. I don't remember, my dog was good with the snakes, she always saw them before me and stopped and barked at them from far away.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I think they do that up here once in awhile. If I remember right, they show the dog the snake.. dog gets near the snake at all, and the dog is zapped with an electric collar. Dog sees snake, gets zapped, dog associates snake with discomfort and stays away.

boomer

here's another article

I've recently started (see once) riding with my dog. He struggled to get started but got the hang of it pretty quick. With a little electric help I should add.

Here's another article to peruse:
    http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/arti...int.php?ID=669

You can click on the blog link below to read about the "Ride with Ralph"; it'll be the second post from the beginning. The post is titled: typical ups and downs

Good luck.
    Calvin

inner peace to make peace

walk, run then ride

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr33

can you walk with your dog, off leash at your side? jog? run? does that dog "come" when you command, off leash? then you're ready to "take the pebble out of my hand" - grasshoppa..
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Look into this

This does work well. I have a Siberian Husky and have never had a problem once we got used to using it.

There is a device called a Springer that is sold in Europe. Basicly it is a pipe that is attached to your bike (mine is attached to the seatpost) with a spring loaded bar on the end. Attach a short leash so puppy won't run in front of the bike an you're off. The spring gives so you arn't pulled over if the dog darts out or something. However, this is more for paved/crushed limestone trails rather than singletrack.

mtbr member

same here

Quote Originally Posted by Pugdawg1
    My most used command though is "wait".
    Obedience school worked wonders. You can use the training philosophy to
    train the dog to do just about anything. Luckily my dog is highly motivated
    by treats. She will pretty much do anything for her treat!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...---...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast