Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Does size really matter?

Anybody out there still think that 26" wheels are still the way to go for just plain fun?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Why let other people define what's fun for you? Shouldn't you be the judge of that? Ride whatever you got and enjoy it. If you need a new ride, demo different bikes with different wheel sizes and decide for yourself based on your own experience on your own terrain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    They're all fun when you ride them...we're talking about bikes here right?!...

Ridin' Furry
    INB4 29ers vs 26ers debate.

I eat cats
    They see me rollin' they hatin'..

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

Rogue Exterminator
    Why is it that the guys that believe size doesn't matter always have smaller ones?

BTW, on a serious note, I hear plenty of guys that have 26" bikes out on the trails say their next bike will be a 29er but I have never heard a guy on a 29er say he wants a 26er.
    I wonder why that is?

No Stranger to danger....
    Maybe you need to ask this question in the womens section of the forum....cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Serenity now!
    I have a 29er and I think my next bike is going to be 26".

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Why is it that the guys that believe size doesn't matter always have smaller ones?

BTW, on a serious note, I hear plenty of guys that have 26" bikes out on the trails say their next bike will be a 29er but I have never heard a guy on a 29er say he wants a 26er.
    I wonder why that is?
    Ive heard plenty say it, in fact a member here that rides xc comps on a 29er said to me a week ago that he was really looking forward to buying a new 26er, as he was missing the fun he had on his

duplicate post.
    Last edited by Tone's; 10-25-2012 at 04:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PixieChik View Post
    I have a 29er and I think my next bike is going to be 26".
    Same I have a 29er and 26 Next bike will be 26.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    I wonder why that is?
    Because the hype currently says you have to have a 29" or even better a 650b to be cool so it would show signs of individual thought to publicly wish for a 26" and that's just too scary for most.

By the way, as long as 29" bikes generally costs 10-15% more than their similarly spec'ed 26" counterparts, I'd say 26" are more fun as they allow for more after ride brew.

It ain't the size that counts, *******--it's what you do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

no trees are safe
    Its not the size its the technique that makes it good... well thats what my sister is telling me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    29" wheels allowed me to return to my first love....Hardtail

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

29-26

After Outerbike I will never own a 29 again, I rode a dozen high end bikes and kept going back to 26's. Its the only bike that made me laugh out loud while riding..Now I will say that the 29 would have worked better on some of the rocky trails where the 26 beat me up,,but I would still go 26 hands down.. My only issue with 26 is that HT's seem to have a much shorter wheelbase than FS so if you want stability you have to pay more and get a FS

crash test dummy
    My girlfriend says my 9 is just too big for her. She's more comfortable with a 6.
    I meant to do that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've ridden a few 29'ers, but I'll never purchase one. Maybe if I become a lycra wearing tryhard, but until then... no.

the train keeps rollin
    26" bikes for sale
    beaver hunt

mtbr member

I'm happy with my 26"

My 26" custom steel hardtail is all I need. Sometimes I ride my 26" FS but the only thing that holds me back is my ability and age, not my wheel size.

Never use your equipment as an excuse amigo.

Buy what you want but don't expect miracles just because you buy the latest and greatest. A crappy rider will still be a crappy regardless of what they bring to the trail and a great rider will still put us to shame no matter what they ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Millfox View Post
    Its not the size its the technique that makes it good... well thats what my sister is telling me.
    Its always good to have a sister to get some early practice in with, i did and now im married to her with 3 kids, the kids have a few inbred traits and deformities, but they will get over it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Its always good to have a sister to get some early practice in with, i did and now im married to her with 3 kids, the kids have a few inbred traits and deformities, but they will get over it....
    forest full of family trees with no branches makes for amusing trails, tone! sounds like a 26er would be better for that no question.

to the op - bike industry is fickle. first (26) less is more then(29) more is too much so now (650b) we're at a little less than too much. i like 26. i like the suspension to be the variable.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

inner peace to make peace
    I really enjoy riding my old crusty cro-molly butted steel hardtail, with numerous dings and dents, from the last Century that has had rear disc boss welded/brazed on and have all components replaced multiple times (still on the 2nd headset, a King).

if this bike got stolen, i'd build up another steel 26er HT and gladly spend the $3~$4K to do so.

I'm not curious about 29er....unless Mark Wier or other Downieville DH racers start winning on 29ers. I want wheelsets that are light yet strong enough for jumps -- so yes: wheel size , selection, and strength does matter somewhat. Even on a 26er HT I damage rear wheels and get pinch flats if not using tubeless. My guess is that many 29er are not riding the rough rocky descends, but I really do not know.

I am curious about a real light (steel or ti') cyclo-cross road bike to "taste" some cross races.
    Last edited by TrailNut; 10-25-2012 at 08:58 AM.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

I wonder why that is?
    That's not true. I bought a 29er first, didn't particularly care for it. Turned around and bought a 26. I still have both, the 26 gets ridden 90% of the time. I just enjoy riding it more.

Single Speed Junkie
    I enjoy riding the 29er at 6'2" I think the bike just fits better. Then again perhaps I'm over compensating for other areas in my life.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast