Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Does size really matter?

17K views 102 replies 66 participants last post by  luthermc315 
#1 ·
Anybody out there still think that 26" wheels are still the way to go for just plain fun?

#88 ·
I have both. I think for the stuff I ride, the pros of the 26" wheels usually outweight the pros of the 29", but it can go either way. I guess for some areas the 29" wheels are the clear winner, but definitely not the case in the rooty, tight, steep and technical trails of the north shore. Also, not as much fun at the bike park, obviously.

You could argue that the 26" wheels are simply more fun because the bike is more flickable and movable. But then you could argue that 29" wheels prevent frustration of getting hung up on roots trying to climb a technical section. Meh.

#96 ·
Someone needs to post a graph of how rolling resistance is inversely proportional to the fun factor. And my limited Calculus 3 experience tells me that the derivative of that graph would also tell us how we should all be on 23" wheels instead.... you know, cause the less proportional rolling mass.

Dudes, its a bike. Ride it, if it isn't fun you aren't doing it right.

#101 ·
its horses for courses... People were thinking "the xx" bike is THE best size".. Till they hit something that size wasnt meant for... Steep tight-- ugly twisty jumpy trails--- 26" is your friend... Long flowy progressive XC hammer fest type trails--- 29" is your choice.. People are starting to realize its not the bike-- but rather the right bike for the right trail that matters...

#102 ·
When i ride my 26er HT I think about how much better it would be if I were on a 29er HT.

When I ride my 26 FS I think "ooo this is really great".

So i have come to this conclusion for my riding:
650B for FS
29er for HT

I think that would be a really great balance.....now i just need the money ha ha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.