Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Does size really matter?

17K views 102 replies 66 participants last post by  luthermc315 
#1 ·
Anybody out there still think that 26" wheels are still the way to go for just plain fun?

#46 ·
I'm a big guy (200 lbs, 6'2") and own both a 26" HT and a 29" HT rigid. They're definitely different beasts but both are fun as hell. Honestly, I'm keeping my 29er SS rigid because I don't think the geometry would be as fun to chuck around than my 26er.
It's kinda funny to see how many 29ers I see at the trail. I feel old-school sometimes when I ride my brand new On-one 456Evo.:D

I just ordered a 26er fatbike. :thumbsup:

#53 ·
I'll be shopping around for a new bike next year. I've tried some 29" wheel bikes and have been a bit underwhelmed, at least considering the hype. They do some things very well and others not so well. I'd like to try some 650b wheel bikes to see what they feel like but demos are hard to come by.

#55 ·
I have 26" hard tail with v-brakes. I just did ride with two guys. One with a jet9 and the other with a rip9. Overall I did just fine keeping up. The fs bikes could be faster on the descents, but I don't care that much about being fast on the downhills. I have more fun picking way stuff. Plus and time gained on the downhill will be lost on the uphills. In the end it is more the rider.

#65 ·
20" for hard mountains, because easy get vertical hills on LIGHTEST wheel in the world, easy accelerating, 20" is tractor style accelerate: just push and feel power of accelerate.

29" wheel is most heavy wheel. 29er hardtail bike weight more than my 26 full suspension LMAO.
Weight on wheels collecting muscle power for unstoppable inertia driving, long accelerate, bad braking, best for long asphalt racing. XC 29er? ROFL, no thanks, in other life.

#81 · (Edited)
My first thought upon seeing the thread title was about frame sizes.

Turned out to be another 26 v 29 thread. Ho hum....

26er HT rider here, and I absolutely have fun riding it. Have brought it to some gnarly trails where a FS would be the weapon of choice. However, I am looking to get a custom built steel 29er in late 2013 or early 2014. BUT my next bike is (I hope! I hope!) would be an AM 26er rig. :cool: The future 29er HT would be my XC ride, while the FS 6-inch travel 26er would be my AM weapon of choice.

Either way, I'll be having fun on the trails.

I know a guy who recently sold his less-than-year-old 26er and joined the 29er bandwagon. Hell, even added mudguards and upgraded the hell out of his brandnew 29er.

He rides his brandnew 29er MTB mostly on road. Afraid to get it muddied up on the trails. Boo hoo. :rolleyes:

#88 ·
I have both. I think for the stuff I ride, the pros of the 26" wheels usually outweight the pros of the 29", but it can go either way. I guess for some areas the 29" wheels are the clear winner, but definitely not the case in the rooty, tight, steep and technical trails of the north shore. Also, not as much fun at the bike park, obviously.

You could argue that the 26" wheels are simply more fun because the bike is more flickable and movable. But then you could argue that 29" wheels prevent frustration of getting hung up on roots trying to climb a technical section. Meh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.