Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hello and welcome to page 4!

If you didn't have time to read the 3 previous pages, I've summarized the content in pictorial format below. Carry on.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by iperov View Post
    20" for hard mountains, because easy get vertical hills on LIGHTEST wheel in the world, easy accelerating, 20" is tractor style accelerate: just push and feel power of accelerate.

29" wheel is most heavy wheel. 29er hardtail bike weight more than my 26 full suspension LMAO.
    Weight on wheels collecting muscle power for unstoppable inertia driving, long accelerate, bad braking, best for long asphalt racing. XC 29er? ROFL, no thanks, in other life.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by coopdad View Post
    Hollyw00d, have you tried a 650er? I am wondering if they would be a good scaled down 29 for short guys like us (I too am 5'7").
    Not yet.... I really wanna ride one.

My paramedic partner is a Cat 1 roadie and he's recommended a 650 as well..

My hesitation is that I don't want to "fall in love" with the 650 and then have to spend a bunch of money that I don't have..
    Not what you think.

My videos

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Why is it that the guys that believe size doesn't matter always have smaller ones?

BTW, on a serious note, I hear plenty of guys that have 26" bikes out on the trails say their next bike will be a 29er but I have never heard a guy on a 29er say he wants a 26er.
    I wonder why that is?
    Guy that owns the LBS (so pretty much has his choice lol) in my town rode 29 for 2 yrs, but past 2 seasons has gone back to 26.
    I think lots of people buy 29 because it's "the in thing" right now, they're just running with the herd.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Why is it that the guys that believe size doesn't matter always have smaller ones?

BTW, on a serious note, I hear plenty of guys that have 26" bikes out on the trails say their next bike will be a 29er but I have never heard a guy on a 29er say he wants a 26er.
    I wonder why that is?
    Because the people that you talk to apparently either don't ride trails that benefit from a 26" wheel or don't have a riding style that better uses the characteristics of a 26" wheel. People willing to try it in the first place probably knew what they were getting, and didn't use the 26" wheels to their advantage. That's just you, though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My first thought upon seeing the thread title was about frame sizes.

Turned out to be another 26 v 29 thread. Ho hum....

26er HT rider here, and I absolutely have fun riding it. Have brought it to some gnarly trails where a FS would be the weapon of choice. However, I am looking to get a custom built steel 29er in late 2013 or early 2014. BUT my next bike is (I hope! I hope!) would be an AM 26er rig. The future 29er HT would be my XC ride, while the FS 6-inch travel 26er would be my AM weapon of choice.

Either way, I'll be having fun on the trails.

I know a guy who recently sold his less-than-year-old 26er and joined the 29er bandwagon. Hell, even added mudguards and upgraded the hell out of his brandnew 29er.

He rides his brandnew 29er MTB mostly on road. Afraid to get it muddied up on the trails. Boo hoo.
    Last edited by tryinghardrider; 10-28-2012 at 05:49 AM.

Cow Clicker
    19" wheels are really fast!

No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

sock puppet

19"?? you gotta be kidding me...

why would anyone use 19" wheels when 16.50B are available....

you are not going to try to convince me that 19" wheels are going to be faster up the hard mountain than 16.50B???

Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    19" wheels are really fast!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    why would anyone use 19" wheels when 16.50B are available....

you are not going to try to convince me that 19" wheels are going to be faster up the hard mountain than 16.50B???
    Hey, that's entering jailbait territory already.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
    Fine let me revise that. When I'm riding smooth rolling trails vs steep downhill, techy rock gardens, cleaning trees, etc... XC less than all mountain.
    Around here we have a wide variety of trails, some of which have all the conditions you describe within a few miles. I just call it mountain biking.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Around here we have a wide variety of trails, some of which have all the conditions you describe within a few miles. I just call it mountain biking.
    Maybe you just like being argumentative, the OP asked a question I responded with my personal view on the subject. Wasn't looking to debate your version of mountain biking.

somehow still alive
    Today I was passed on a climb by a guy on a HT 29er... I was on my FS 26".

He appeared to be having fun, I was definitely having fun..

It would seem to me that both bikes are fun, just different strokes for different folks.
    Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have both. I think for the stuff I ride, the pros of the 26" wheels usually outweight the pros of the 29", but it can go either way. I guess for some areas the 29" wheels are the clear winner, but definitely not the case in the rooty, tight, steep and technical trails of the north shore. Also, not as much fun at the bike park, obviously.

You could argue that the 26" wheels are simply more fun because the bike is more flickable and movable. But then you could argue that 29" wheels prevent frustration of getting hung up on roots trying to climb a technical section. Meh.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iperov View Post
    20" for hard mountains, because easy get vertical hills on LIGHTEST wheel in the world, easy accelerating, 20" is tractor style accelerate: just push and feel power of accelerate.

29" wheel is most heavy wheel. 29er hardtail bike weight more than my 26 full suspension LMAO.
    Weight on wheels collecting muscle power for unstoppable inertia driving, long accelerate, bad braking, best for long asphalt racing. XC 29er? ROFL, no thanks, in other life.
    I gotta get a BMX! I'd love to be able to ride up a vertical hill. They call them cliffs where I come from.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Brian Lopes is still a 29'er hater. Recent tweet:

Does size really matter?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1351724917.315178.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    I gotta get a BMX! I'd love to be able to ride up a vertical hill. They call them cliffs where I come from.
    Wasn't entertaining the nonsense but it can be done, used to do it when I was a teenager. A jump called the wall. Straight up twenty some odd feet. Wouldn't try it on a mountain bike of any wheel size but I'm sure some of the free ride guys could manage it.

parts leftover
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
    After Outerbike I will never own a 29 again, I rode a dozen high end bikes and kept going back to 26's. Its the only bike that made me laugh out loud while riding.
    I drove away from Outerbike with virtually the same feeling as you did. I rode as many 29ers as I could get my hands on, and nothing that I experienced justified the wholesale shift in the industry from the 26" to 29" chassis.

Clearly, market demand is fueling the shift, but I think many 29er buyers are being sold a bill of goods. The larger wheel doesn't have any special magical properties that makes it faster or consume less watts, for racing or otherwise. It's just another type of bike with its own set of traits, and each of those bikes ride differently from one another.

I owned and raced an Epic 29er this year and happily sold it at the end of the season with much relief. Hopefully its new owner feels faster or more stable or better able to roll over big rocks. I'll be on my new 24lb 26" full suspension bike, not missing the wagon wheels in the least.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by schlim View Post
    I drove away from Outerbike with virtually the same feeling as you did. I rode as many 29ers as I could get my hands on, and nothing that I experienced justified the wholesale shift in the industry from the 26" to 29" chassis.

Clearly, market demand is fueling the shift, but I think many 29er buyers are being sold a bill of goods. The larger wheel doesn't have any special magical properties that makes it faster or consume less watts, for racing or otherwise. It's just another type of bike with its own set of traits, and each of those bikes ride differently from one another.

I owned and raced an Epic 29er this year and happily sold it at the end of the season with much relief. Hopefully its new owner feels faster or more stable or better able to roll over big rocks. I'll be on my new 24lb 26" full suspension bike, not missing the wagon wheels in the least.
    I had the same feeling about my Epic 29r and sold it after a few months. I like my Blur enough not to feel the need for bigger wheels. Maybe the 650b will be different but I am not getting on that bandwagon as of yet.....
    IMHO, bigger isn't always better and everyone has to make up their own mind of what works for them and what doesn't let the market dictate what is "good" for you...YMMV
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

I build my own.
    I'd be happy with a shift back to 26". I'm having a hard time finding a used 29er to replace the one I had stolen. It would be nice to see the market flooded with sub-$200 HT 29ers.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

NeedGod.com
    There are pros and cons to each. I own both. I like both.
    Nathan

undercover brother
    Someone needs to post a graph of how rolling resistance is inversely proportional to the fun factor. And my limited Calculus 3 experience tells me that the derivative of that graph would also tell us how we should all be on 23" wheels instead.... you know, cause the less proportional rolling mass.

Dudes, its a bike. Ride it, if it isn't fun you aren't doing it right.

mtbr member
    I don't see how wheel size would be different on my stationary bike.

mtbr member
    I just moved back to a full squish 26" a week ago.

The reason i went a 29er to start with is i was basically having to re-learn how to ride anyways, so i had a blast monster trucking everything on my hardtail 29er. As i got faster and faster and started riding steeper terrain, i realized i really needed to get onto a full suspension if i wanted to get any faster. after trying a few 29er full sus demos and 6" travel AM 26ers i cam full circle.

Reasons i switched back, is the trails in my area are fast, rough, tight and can be very technical.

Things i do miss about the 29er,
    - i never got stuck in all the holes at the bottoms of steeps and short fast rolling humps.
    - monster trucking everything
    - how fast it rolls with only a little grade

If i lived somewhere ells i may very well have stuck with the 29er though.

Right bike, right rider, right trails. It all matters, tire size, geometry, bike fitting and sizing and colour (red ones go faster).

and if i ever get tired of the 26er, i know i can switch over to a 650 wheelset. lol
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    I ride both. I prefer 29 for ssing, 26 for trail riding with at least a 5" bike.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Vassago Jabberwocky SS
    Litespeed Toccoa

mtbr member
    I carry all sizes for various types of terrain.
    Sorry, bad english.
    10.0kg custom.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast