Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Good thing you don't have to worry about that.
    Exactly!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
    I When I go XC riding........ when I go mountain biking.......

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll be shopping around for a new bike next year. I've tried some 29" wheel bikes and have been a bit underwhelmed, at least considering the hype. They do some things very well and others not so well. I'd like to try some 650b wheel bikes to see what they feel like but demos are hard to come by.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's not the size of the wheel, it's the motion of the shock that counts.
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

mtbr member
    I have 26" hard tail with v-brakes. I just did ride with two guys. One with a jet9 and the other with a rip9. Overall I did just fine keeping up. The fs bikes could be faster on the descents, but I don't care that much about being fast on the downhills. I have more fun picking way stuff. Plus and time gained on the downhill will be lost on the uphills. In the end it is more the rider.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Fine let me revise that. When I'm riding smooth rolling trails vs steep downhill, techy rock gardens, cleaning trees, etc... XC less than all mountain.

mtbr member
    depend on style

hard mountains - 20",
    XC - 24",
    50% asphalt - 26"
    >80% aphalt - 29er
    Sorry, bad english.
    10.0kg custom.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by iperov View Post
    depend on style

hard mountains - 20",
    XC - 24",
    50% asphalt - 26"
    >80% aphalt - 29er
    WTF??????????
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

I eat cats
    depend on style

hard mountains - 20",
    XC - 24",
    50% asphalt - 26"
    >80% aphalt - 29er
    My iPad sent my neg rep too soon.. Just want to let you know that it was from me. Please feel free to explain this post.. 20"???
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    I can explain, but it requested by apple user... so not. When I give facts to apple users, they give me faith.
    Sorry, bad english.
    10.0kg custom.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I don't mind being 3" shy of the next guy. I used to be self-conscious, but then I started wearing my lycra backwards. Now no one has to know...

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Here is an interesting article asking some of the top designers in the mtb industry about wheel size and their plans for the future.

The Future of 27.5 and 650b Mountain Bike Wheels | Bicycling Magazine

Particularly interesting what Dave Turner says about 27.5 eventually killing off the 26" wheel (see page 3).
    DT is only saying that about short travel 26". He thinks some DH riders will move up to 27.5", but not the top ones. So plenty of room for long travel 26" and 27.5" (which has virtually the same geo as 26"). 29" harder to fit with long travel forks and geo. But the roll for HT and short travel uses can't be beat.

So there will be 3 wheel choices around for the foreseeable future. It's all rider and terrain dependent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

I eat cats
    I can explain, but it requested by apple user... so not. When I give facts to apple users, they give me faith.
    Sign your neg rep next time. Now I'm on a PC so what exactly did your post mean? I should be riding a 20" BMX bike on mountains?
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

the half breed devil
    my 17.5" 26" ibis alibi is better for slow, tight trails with a lot of switchbacks. (mount sutro/twin peaks, waterdog lake)

my 19" 29 marin pine mountain is better for high speed fire roads and groomed singletrack. (marin headlands, china camp state park)

mtbr member
    20" for hard mountains, because easy get vertical hills on LIGHTEST wheel in the world, easy accelerating, 20" is tractor style accelerate: just push and feel power of accelerate.

29" wheel is most heavy wheel. 29er hardtail bike weight more than my 26 full suspension LMAO.
    Weight on wheels collecting muscle power for unstoppable inertia driving, long accelerate, bad braking, best for long asphalt racing. XC 29er? ROFL, no thanks, in other life.
    Sorry, bad english.
    10.0kg custom.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Why is it that the guys that believe size doesn't matter always have smaller ones?

BTW, on a serious note, I hear plenty of guys that have 26" bikes out on the trails say their next bike will be a 29er but I have never heard a guy on a 29er say he wants a 26er.
    I wonder why that is?

I must say my next bike is going to be a 26 for sure.

I gave 29 a sporting chance

I will say for sure that 29 looks more proportional.
    I cant wait for 650 to get popular.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am currently shopping for a 24" and a 20". My rides may be slower but getting my daughters riding is priceless.

I eat cats
    20" for hard mountains
    What size for soft mountains?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    26" FS = AWESOME!

From the short demo that I had I think for my HT i am wanting 29 though.

mtbr member
    all I know is used 26 inch wheeled bike are insanely cheap... Granted this bike has vbrakes, but I cannot believe how cheap it went for...

Arizona Haro Custom Built Mountain Bike 26 5 lbs Marzocchi Deore XT Mavic | eBay
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
    That's not true. I bought a 29er first, didn't particularly care for it. Turned around and bought a 26. I still have both, the 26 gets ridden 90% of the time. I just enjoy riding it more.
    Ditto. 29'er are good for XC, but for me, AM riding and techy trails, 26'ers are more fun and that is why I ride.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post

Related question -- does anyone here think that the difference between 26 and 29 might have been blown out of proportion somewhat?
    Nope. Night and Day. Not even close. I've heard more riders who think that the difference between 26" and 27.5" is insignificant, which makes more sense given the not so proportionally different size, similar geometry and the fact that 27.5" can handle he same travel without being too tall with a ridiculous wheel base. But most of those people are 29'er riders used to incredible roll, so anything smaller seems inadequate. OTOH, 26'er riders moving up to 27.5" can usually feel better roll and slightly more sluggish handling though not nearly as pronounced as 29"

Of course, there are those on MTBR that make a tubeless conversion seem like a huge change performance-wise.
    Well it does. You don't have to be some sort of super sensitive pro to tell. Differences in wheel size, tire pressure, tire width, tire tread, geometry, and suspension are easily apparent to a rider with more than a few years experience IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollyw00d View Post
    Having ridden both, I prefer 26". I feel like they're more playful, and I'm not a big guy 5'7" 175, so 29" feels too big for my liking...

So for me 26" all day. my commuter is a 26" as well and I like it.
    Hollyw00d, have you tried a 650er? I am wondering if they would be a good scaled down 29 for short guys like us (I too am 5'7").
    Please visit my bike blog! And if you click a few banner ads, I wouldn't complain!
    http://realworldbiking.blogspot.com

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Its always good to have a sister to get some early practice in with, i did and now im married to her with 3 kids, the kids have a few inbred traits and deformities, but they will get over it....
    well, if it wasn't for the same practice - you'd never see the light of the day, eh?

just sayin'...

sock puppet

i think i will compromise and

start racing on 24" wheels...

it's about time i ditch my current bike, and go for lighter wheels with better acceleration...

size really doesn't matter. i don't care what she said...

20" for hard mountains, because easy get vertical hills on LIGHTEST wheel in the world, easy accelerating, 20" is tractor style accelerate: just push and feel power of accelerate.

29" wheel is most heavy wheel. 29er hardtail bike weight more than my 26 full suspension LMAO.
    Weight on wheels collecting muscle power for unstoppable inertia driving, long accelerate, bad braking, best for long asphalt racing. XC 29er? ROFL, no thanks, in other life.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast