Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Size doesn't matter; color does!

I've got bikes with 26" and 29" wheels. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. I now shop for bikes with two criteria (in order of importance):

How's the fit?
    Do you love the color?

Back to basics again I guess.

Have fun and ride!
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

mtbr member
    I had some good ol' fashion plain fun on my 26" wheels last Saturday. So I'm still on board.

Related question -- does anyone here think that the difference between 26 and 29 might have been blown out of proportion somewhat? Like maybe the difference isn't THAT big? I mean, I've taken a couple laps on a 29'er (a good one, too -- a brand new '12 carbon Tallboy). It wasn't the most technical or intense terrain ever, but I put 3 or 4 miles on it, including a couple climbs, descents, and a couple quick rock gardens. Of course, the Enduro and the Tallboy are quite different bikes altogether, so it was hard to tell what was due to the wheels vs. all other aspects of the bike. But IMHO, the difference was more like vanilla vs vanilla bean ice cream, as opposed to vanilla vs chocolate like people try to make it out to be.

Of course, there are those on MTBR that make a tubeless conversion seem like a huge change performance-wise. Where, for me, I couldn't hardly you the difference when I went from tubes to tubeless back to tube on the rear after I ripped up a sidewall. So maybe I just have an undistinguished pallet!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I guess my assessment is its easier to cover ground fast on the 29er. Acceleration seems slower. Not as much fun in the techy stuff. The 26" bike is more responsive, handles the techy stuff better but will not clean as large of objects as well as the 29er. When I go XC riding with a friend I grab the 29er, when I go mountain biking I grab the 26er. It's just more fun to ride. I guess when push comes to shove I really don't care for the wagon wheels all that much. I suppose if you are racing they are an advantage for most guys.

Never Forget 9-11
    I still can't figure out why one would care what others thought of their wheel size choice. All that matter is that you like what you ride.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FujNoob View Post
    I still can't figure out why one would care what others thought of their wheel size choice. All that matter is that you like what you ride.
    I wonder about that too. It's what you like that matters. Not anybody else.

mtbr member
    I have an old Trek 820 that is a blast to ride. Probably won't sell it, no reason to give it away for what someone would pay for it today.

But, I am totally sold on 29'ers, and just love long rides on my Carve in the country, roads, trails, whatever, the bike is just plain stupid fun!

Very unlikely I'd go back to 26" anytime soon, too many 29'ers to buy first....

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut View Post
    My guess is that many 29er are not riding the rough rocky descends, but I really do not know.
    Yes - you really do not know.

I've ridden my 29ers at Northstar (lift served DH) and anywhere you can ride smaller wheels. The only real problem is that there is still a lack of heavy duty tires and longer travel forks for 29ers if you want to do downhill or freeride. Currently there is no problem at all with 29ers as all mountain or trail bikes - there are plenty of bikes in that category and plenty of us ripping it up on the most gnarly rocky downhills out there. If anything, that is where big wheels shine.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by FujNoob View Post
    This.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Here is an interesting article asking some of the top designers in the mtb industry about wheel size and their plans for the future.

The Future of 27.5 and 650b Mountain Bike Wheels | Bicycling Magazine

Particularly interesting what Dave Turner says about 27.5 eventually killing off the 26" wheel (see page 3).
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

I sold my Epic 29r in favor of my Blur LT... Not that the 29r is a bad bike/ride ,but just not for me. The 650 appeals to me more, specially for the type of trails I ride. YMMV
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

no trees are safe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Its always good to have a sister to get some early practice in with, i did and now im married to her with 3 kids, the kids have a few inbred traits and deformities, but they will get over it....
    Oh lol It didn't occurred to me that someone might of take it THAT way... Um... we were more like talking about it when I was going for my... I wanted to know what she thought she had more experience... I mean not too much experience... eh.. DONT JUDGE ME!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Ive heard plenty say it, in fact a member here that rides xc comps on a 29er said to me a week ago that he was really looking forward to buying a new 26er, as he was missing the fun he had on his
    I am sure plenty do, I am just saying that I have not heard anyone say they would rather have a 26er.

I have heard a few people say they want 650b.....but they were all on 26ers also.

I know it all comes down to riding preference.
    That being said, buy what feels good to you and don't let anyone tell you what you should ride.

Rolling
    What really matters is having too large a package on the saddle on large rides!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    What really matters is having too large a package on the saddle on large rides!
    Good thing you don't have to worry about that.

Abby Design & Constructio
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzer View Post
    Anybody out there still think that 26" wheels are still the way to go for just plain fun?
    29er bikes are defiantly the race choice but if you are a aggressive style rider then 26er is the way to go. 26er bikes are just plain easyer to handle and can be a lot more durable in all mountain bikes.

somehow still alive
    Having ridden both, I prefer 26". I feel like they're more playful, and I'm not a big guy 5'7" 175, so 29" feels too big for my liking...

So for me 26" all day. my commuter is a 26" as well and I like it.
    Not what you think.

My videos

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt View Post
    I've got bikes with 26" and 29" wheels. Each has their strengths and weaknesses. I now shop for bikes with two criteria (in order of importance):

How's the fit?
    Do you love the color?

Back to basics again I guess.

Have fun and ride!
    yep, pretty much this. No need to debate, go ride A bike...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    go ride A bike...
    This!! I'm on a 48hr shift and can't ride....

Can't wait to get home and ride.
    Not what you think.

My videos

I eat cats
    You say potato, I say tomato.. Wait.. Just go f-ing ride and have fun!

Don't look down here...

B.Ike
    I have two 29er's that I love just about equally. (rigid ss, and 1x9 ht) My next bike will likely be 26fs.

mtbr member
    I'm a big guy (200 lbs, 6'2") and own both a 26" HT and a 29" HT rigid. They're definitely different beasts but both are fun as hell. Honestly, I'm keeping my 29er SS rigid because I don't think the geometry would be as fun to chuck around than my 26er.
    It's kinda funny to see how many 29ers I see at the trail. I feel old-school sometimes when I ride my brand new On-one 456Evo.

I just ordered a 26er fatbike.

mtbr member
    My next bike will be...

A bike.

tg
    mtbr member
    Love my Satori but on race day I go with my Turner Flux....I am just old I guess...Both bikes are fun and have a place to shine.

I eat cats
    I love lamp.

Don't look down here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    I had some good ol' fashion plain fun on my 26" wheels last Saturday. So I'm still on board.

Related question -- does anyone here think that the difference between 26 and 29 might have been blown out of proportion somewhat? Like maybe the difference isn't THAT big? I mean, I've taken a couple laps on a 29'er (a good one, too -- a brand new '12 carbon Tallboy). It wasn't the most technical or intense terrain ever, but I put 3 or 4 miles on it, including a couple climbs, descents, and a couple quick rock gardens. Of course, the Enduro and the Tallboy are quite different bikes altogether, so it was hard to tell what was due to the wheels vs. all other aspects of the bike. But IMHO, the difference was more like vanilla vs vanilla bean ice cream, as opposed to vanilla vs chocolate like people try to make it out to be.

Of course, there are those on MTBR that make a tubeless conversion seem like a huge change performance-wise. Where, for me, I couldn't hardly you the difference when I went from tubes to tubeless back to tube on the rear after I ripped up a sidewall. So maybe I just have an undistinguished pallet!
    AMEN! I own both and feel the same way.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast