Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004

Does ANYONE use the trail reviews anymore? At all?

I was poking around, and found a trail review I did in 99/00' or so. It doesn't look like anything in my area has really been re-reviewed since 03' or something!
    Pole Canyon Idaho Trail Reviews

Anyone have any speculation as to why this MTBR feature more or less died?
    It was a great resource when (for real MTB purposes) the Internet and browsers were 'new'.
    Any interest in revisiting/revamping this feature, and attempting to get reviews up to date?
    I know in our area (well, EVERY area!) lots has changed, and and almost all for the better.
    I feel like this resource is a huge 'lost potential', that would be a relatively small effort to become a great draw again, updated with maps, GPS, photos, the works.
    Anyone else agree?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    what trail reviews!?

Nope never for a long long time have I even looked at them....I just lurk strava to find what others are doing...

AZ
    banned
    There was a period of time after one of the "upgrades" that some people were not able to even post a review. It goes to reason that many people just gave up on it after so many software issues.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Might be worth revisiting from a 'hit generator' POV, IMO. Would be great to have a contemporary version of this, with updated info.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I would guess that the quality and amount of info on local forums/blogs may have surpassed that accessable here.

Airborne Flight Crew
    With Strava and sites like Singletracks.com, I'm not sure the trails section offers anything... unique or of value anymore. I still browse them from time to time though..
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    I use them occasionally when visiting a new area, but seem to get better information with the local forums and garmin connect searches etc.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Not really. I find it better to ask in the local forums as to trail conditions. I will see Strava to find trails or trail systems and then simply as in the forum what they are like.

Theses days it can be hard to write review as weathering can change trail surface conditions and riders all have different levels of what is "cool" and what tech and what is not. You get alot more interactive information on the forums.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I used to use it as my main 411 on local trails I was visiting, but since the rise of GPS about 5 years ago I prefer to go to other sites and download GPX tracks. At the time I suggested that they allow you to upload/download GPX tracks but was told it was to complicated to accommodate this....now its dead I just went there and updated a review, still no ability to upload GPX files

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    The reviews are one spoke of my trail research hub. Typically when riding a new area out of state (UT), I'll check the regional/state forums for conditions and suggestions, the trails review and I'll also google for local trail associations to get the 411. Then of course I'll throw all of those hours of research out the window when I finally get to town and stop at the LBS.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Since the advent of Strava and Geoladders....MTBR's Trail Review section is no longer the go-to site, for updated trail info. However, I myself try to report conditions as frequent as I can.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    I'm on several facebook sites catering to local mountain bikers. It's rare not to post a question about a trail system and get about 25 responses specific to that trail that others have rode. I also look at the sorba facebook chapter in that area. I also simply youtube the trail for videos. I find most app sites are really outdated in regards to info about most trails.