Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Does ANYONE use the trail reviews anymore? At all?

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Bigb2000 
#1 ·
I was poking around, and found a trail review I did in 99/00' or so. It doesn't look like anything in my area has really been re-reviewed since 03' or something!
Pole Canyon Idaho Trail Reviews

Anyone have any speculation as to why this MTBR feature more or less died?
It was a great resource when (for real MTB purposes) the Internet and browsers were 'new'.
Any interest in revisiting/revamping this feature, and attempting to get reviews up to date?
I know in our area (well, EVERY area!) lots has changed, and and almost all for the better.
I feel like this resource is a huge 'lost potential', that would be a relatively small effort to become a great draw again, updated with maps, GPS, photos, the works.
Anyone else agree?

#3 ·
There was a period of time after one of the "upgrades" that some people were not able to even post a review. It goes to reason that many people just gave up on it after so many software issues.

#8 ·
Not really. I find it better to ask in the local forums as to trail conditions. I will see Strava to find trails or trail systems and then simply as in the forum what they are like.

Theses days it can be hard to write review as weathering can change trail surface conditions and riders all have different levels of what is "cool" and what tech and what is not. You get alot more interactive information on the forums.

#9 ·
I used to use it as my main 411 on local trails I was visiting, but since the rise of GPS about 5 years ago I prefer to go to other sites and download GPX tracks. At the time I suggested that they allow you to upload/download GPX tracks but was told it was to complicated to accommodate this....now its dead :( I just went there and updated a review, still no ability to upload GPX files

#10 ·
The reviews are one spoke of my trail research hub. Typically when riding a new area out of state (UT), I'll check the regional/state forums for conditions and suggestions, the trails review and I'll also google for local trail associations to get the 411. Then of course I'll throw all of those hours of research out the window when I finally get to town and stop at the LBS.

#11 ·
Since the advent of Strava and Geoladders....MTBR's Trail Review section is no longer the go-to site, for updated trail info. However, I myself try to report conditions as frequent as I can.

#12 ·
I'm on several facebook sites catering to local mountain bikers. It's rare not to post a question about a trail system and get about 25 responses specific to that trail that others have rode. I also look at the sorba facebook chapter in that area. I also simply youtube the trail for videos. I find most app sites are really outdated in regards to info about most trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.