Awesomist™

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (high country riding photos X-POST from Front Range)

Here in Colorado, we got a problem. A big one. There are so many of us riders out here that can't help ourselves... we just LOVE TO GET HIGH. I mean, REAL high. In the past few days alone, I've been so high I could barely control my bike until I came down a bit, and then a couple days later we took a totally wrong turn after being high. With the recent passing of Amendment #64 here in Colorado, you might THINK I'm talkin' about something I ain't... what I am talkin' about is ridin' bikes up above treeline, man. Big rides, with lots of climbing, even moar descending, killer views, good friends, and altitudes with two numbers in front of the comma. Ya see, it ain't that difficult for a ride to cross a couple mountain passes and top out at 11, 12, or even 13,000' above the level of the ocean. So because we love gettin' high so much, I started a thread over in the Front Range forum to get people to post up some pictures. And whatya know? There's starting to be some pretty good stoke getting posted over there. Go take a look, and then look me in the eye and tell me you don't wanna get HIGH...

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (post your high country riding photos)

EDIT 7/22/2013: If ya'll haven't checked out that thread in a while, you should. So many awesome photos and ride reports are being posted. Do yourself a favor, and click the link. Don't be afraid to share some high-country riding photos as well!
    EDIT 8/19/2013: Monthly bump, quite a few more trips reported.
    Last edited by Full Trucker; 08-19-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link to the thread, awesome!!

Awesomist™

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (high country riding photos X-POST from Front Ran

Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    Thanks for the link to the thread, awesome!!
    The Dude abides...

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member

Saturday's ride

This happened in UT, not CO. So I couldn't post it in the front range forum.

You can get high here too...you'll see the mountain goats do too, if you look closely enough.

Picture taken from the trail...we started out somewhere down there...
    Looking south along the Wasatch Front from Ben Lomond Peak...From near to far Lewis Peak, Mt. Ogden (Snowbasin resort), and Farmington Peak.
    Do you like to get HIGH, man? (high country riding photos X-POST from Front Range)-944491_10200877024361715_1746117305_n.jpg

You really need to click on this one to see what's going on.
    Do you like to get HIGH, man? (high country riding photos X-POST from Front Range)-1012641_10200281574379029_2100917528_n.jpg

On the approach, 900' vert left to go.
    Do you like to get HIGH, man? (high country riding photos X-POST from Front Range)-1010534_10200877025081733_590311821_n.jpg

Mountain goat...looking north toward Willard Peak from the flank of Ben Lomond.
    Do you like to get HIGH, man? (high country riding photos X-POST from Front Range)-992903_10200877023561695_1538875206_n.jpg
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

pin it
    great link and pics!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    awesome pics
    haven't ridden the front range yet
    Team Van Go

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    This happened in UT, not CO. So I couldn't post it in the front range forum.
    Aw man, I don't think it would bother ANYONE if you'd have posted these pics in our little high country party... Looks like a stellar ride! I need to get over to that area and do some riding!

Also...
    You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    I got some pretty good pics on Ben Lomond last year. One of my favorite among many favorite rides from that trip. Having finally reached the summit with less than an hour til sunset I heard a noise behind me and turned around thinking it would be a squirrel or marmot or something. It wasn't. And there were 50 or so more of them on the backside of the peak as I dropped down to the south. Pretty cool to see them up close. They sauntered off as each switchback brought me closer to them, but were not too bothered by my presence.

(if these seem familiar they are part of my trip report from last year)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Gorgeous shots in the CO thread...thanks for passing it around.

Same area evdog posted; Colorado Trail between Molas Pass and Durango:

mtbr member
    What a coincidence. I rode from Willard Peak to Ben Lomond just last week on the 5th. Great ride with spectacular views.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Have you ever been mountain biking on WEED, man?
    Name:  halfbaked5.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  20.0 KB

Awesomist™
    I just got back from a few days in Telluride, and got another high country objective ticked off the list. If you haven't been over to our thread in the Colorado Front Range forum in a while, you might consider checking it out. There have been lots and lots of really good pictures and ride reports posted in the thread, and "teh stoke" is overflowing. Here's a little peek from my stash over the weekend, and I'd say my photos pale in comparison to many of the others...

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    I just got back from a few days in Telluride, and got another high country objective ticked off the list.

Wasatch Trail, 13,100?

Awesomist™

Do you like to get HIGH, man? (high country riding photos X-POST from Front Ran

Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    Wasatch Trail, 13,100?
    Wasatch Connection, 12,500' or so. Different than the Wasatch Trail which I haven't ridden.

Punch it, Chewie.

Awesomist™
    Welcome to your monthly High Country Riding Passion bump! This has been a summer of big objectives for me, and it seems that each ride is better than the last. My latest was a short section of the Continental Divide Trail from Jones Pass to the Herman Gulch Trail, with a quick jaunt over to Herman Lake for some obligatory and shameless self-timer photos with me and my 3 riding partners. As I've said before, our little thread in the CO Front Range forum keeps growing every week, with more people posting some amazing photos. As a teaser, here's an Instagram shot I took at 13,215' just south of Jones Pass on the CDT:

Now get over there and check it out, and post some high-country, above treeline photos if you have 'em! We don't even mind too much if they're not Colorado locations, many of us are always on the lookout for killer rides everywhere!

Punch it, Chewie.