Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Do you know what chaps my hide?

Parents that take their kids to the bike park on crappy Wal-Mart bikes. Putting a kid on a tank of a bike with horrible brakes is child abuse.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Or when people with luxury cars ride mongooses.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I congratulate any parent who takes a kid(s) to a bike park, no matter what kind of bike they have. Do the kids look miserable? Not likely. Perhaps you can start a 501(c)3 to provide nice, high-end bikes to kids whose parents shop at WalMart.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr View Post
    Parents that take their kids to the bike park on crappy Wal-Mart bikes. Putting a kid on a tank of a bike with horrible brakes is child abuse.

What a load of condescending crap. If it chaps you so much buy them a bike that doesn't offend your sensibilities.

High Desert MTBer
    Is this thread a joke? Back to the OC!
    It's all Here. Now.

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr View Post
    Do you know what chaps my hide? Judgmental turd buckets like you that have nothing better to do than crap on somebody else's good time. You suck at life.

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by singletrack-sam View Post
    Or when people with luxury cars ride mongooses.
    Same goes for you. Why do you care?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I am all for the idea that parents get their kids on bikes, be it roadies, XC, CX, mountain riding, whatever the heck they are in to. Would you prefer they buy them the latest x box, I pads, computers, fridge stocked with soda and crap food, and encourage lay about behavior? Not everyone has waste able income that they can pour into $1500 bikes, just so their kids can go on one ride, then decide they don't want to do it again.

Ya know what chaps my hide? People who own $10000 bikes, and don't take the time to realize that their kids want to spend time with them!!!

mtbr member
    Know what chaps my hide, assless chaps and posts like these.

passion fail

Perpetual n00b
    Let's see if I can come up with a response that doesn't include name-calling...

The only bikes I ever had up until I was 28 years old were Wal-Mart/Dept store bikes. Never gave any consideration to their weight or quality of components. It had 2 wheels and rolled, stopped, and shifted. It worked. When I got my first "real" bike I gained an appreciation for its light weight and quality parts. I learned the difference and why it mattered out on the trail. Someone that has only ever ridden quality stuff doesn't really have that appreciation because they don't know any different.

A few weeks ago I saw a kid at the campground riding a Wal-mart bike that was way too big for him. The seat was slammed and he still had to bowleg to push down on the pedals. He rode that bike through the grass, rocky gravel, and sand like he was pretending to race motocross. If there was a spot that looked like he could jump, he would try to jump. He dumped it in the sand many times, but quickly hopped back on and took off to catch up to his imaginary racing buddies. Not once did he ever have that look like "man if only this bike was 10 pounds lighter, or if I had an XT derailler...". Also, he wasn't wearing any shoes (more child abuse!). This kid was passionate about riding something we would consider a POS. If a kid needs a $1500 starter bike to be passionate about cycling, then maybe it's not the right sport for them?

Ya friggin arrogant d00cheburger!
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    Know what chaps my hide, assless chaps and posts like these.

passion fail
    Wait! We can post pictures again?!?!
    It's all Here. Now.

orthonormal
    Bummer. I thought this thread was going to be about salsa made in NYC.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Let's see if I can come up with a response that doesn't include name-calling...

The only bikes I ever had up until I was 28 years old were Wal-Mart/Dept store bikes. Never gave any consideration to their weight or quality of components. It had 2 wheels and rolled, stopped, and shifted. It worked. When I got my first "real" bike I gained an appreciation for its light weight and quality parts. I learned the difference and why it mattered out on the trail. Someone that has only ever ridden quality stuff doesn't really have that appreciation because they don't know any different.

A few weeks ago I saw a kid at the campground riding a Wal-mart bike that was way too big for him. The seat was slammed and he still had to bowleg to push down on the pedals. He rode that bike through the grass, rocky gravel, and sand like he was pretending to race motocross. If there was a spot that looked like he could jump, he would try to jump. He dumped it in the sand many times, but quickly hopped back on and took off to catch up to his imaginary racing buddies. Not once did he ever have that look like "man if only this bike was 10 pounds lighter, or if I had an XT derailler...". Also, he wasn't wearing any shoes (more child abuse!). This kid was passionate about riding something we would consider a POS. If a kid needs a $1500 starter bike to be passionate about cycling, then maybe it's not the right sport for them?

Ya friggin arrogant d00cheburger!
    What he said.

Anything that gets kids on bikes (or skateboards, hiking, really anything outdoors for that matter) is awesome. I'm certainly not going to drop $500+ every couple of years to make sure my daughter is on a brand name bike. Kids care more about color (in my case, it will undoubtedly be a long series of pink+purple bikes) and function. My mechanic skills are sufficient to make any crappy bike ride smoothly. Kids also lose interest in things overnight, so why drop the big bucks on something that collects dust after a couple of weeks?

I also grew up on a series of department store bikes. Never slowed me down, and in the end made me really appreciate the Trek 930 I finally bought myself in college (20 years ago, but first 'real' MTB).

Enough has been said about the OP's character, so I'll leave it at that.

Airborne Flight Crew
    "Chaps my hide" in title = do not click on thread. Most people in the thread seem to get it. I started on dept. store bikes too.

I knew better.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    I grew up with crappy heavy bikes you bought at the local HW store or Western auto. Guess what, keeping those bikes working has made me a decent mechanic.

human dehumidifier
    When I was a kid I would've been delirious to have any new bike. All our bikes and parts came from the city dump. Getting there and finding stuff was half the fun.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    Here, get some of this; it's really good for chapped hide.

Threads like this are so last week. So is this attitude.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by skullcap; 08-20-2013 at 05:15 AM.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    When I was a kid I would've been delirious to have any new bike. All our bikes and parts came from the city dump. Getting there and finding stuff was half the fun.
    Same here. I would go into Bradley's and stare at the bikes. Then it was off on junk day to collect parts from other peoples trash.

pin it
    Quote Originally Posted by skullcap View Post
    Here, get some of this; it's really good for chapped hide.

Attachment 823702

Threads like this are so last week. So is this attitude.

Udder butter

Ride what you want
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    A riding buddy of mine rides a Walmart bike every day. It must have 1500 miles on it now. It has never once had any maintenance. It may not work perfectly, but he still outrides most others with it day in and day out. Over the same time period, I have consumed big money in parts and am constantly doing maintenance.... and his bike is worth about as much as one of my spokes. lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    +1 ^^^^ My first nice bike was from Montgomery Ward and you couldn't have seen a happier kid than me!

mtbr member
    I watched the kid crash 4x in a row on a pump track because it was physically impossible for him to put his hands around the brake levers. I loosened the tension on the cable but it didn't matter, he didn't have the grip strength to even budge the levers. Proud mom was looking on and the kid was in tears!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocky View Post
    A riding buddy of mine rides a Walmart bike every day. It must have 1500 miles on it now. It has never once had any maintenance. It may not work perfectly, but he still outrides most others with it day in and day out. Over the same time period, I have consumed big money in parts and am constantly doing maintenance.... and his bike is worth about as much as one of my spokes. lol
    I have been outridden by said guy on my 4 grand worth of Trek EX9. And I bet if we got him on a big dollar bike, he would really whoop my hind!!

mtbr member
    A big, heavy bike really does make you fit!

Quote Originally Posted by ryantrek View Post
    I have been outridden by said guy on my 4 grand worth of Trek EX9. And I bet if we got him on a big dollar bike, he would really whoop my hind!!

mtbr member
    I have also seen the same parents strapping their kids into a K-Mart snowboard at Winter Park. Same type of abuse. The kid is setup to fail.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast