Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 63
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nitecrwlr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    294

    Do you know what chaps my hide?

    Parents that take their kids to the bike park on crappy Wal-Mart bikes. Putting a kid on a tank of a bike with horrible brakes is child abuse.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    49

    Do you know what chaps my hide?

    Or when people with luxury cars ride mongooses.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: June Bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,552
    I congratulate any parent who takes a kid(s) to a bike park, no matter what kind of bike they have. Do the kids look miserable? Not likely. Perhaps you can start a 501(c)3 to provide nice, high-end bikes to kids whose parents shop at WalMart.

  4. #4
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,205
    Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr View Post
    Parents that take their kids to the bike park on crappy Wal-Mart bikes. Putting a kid on a tank of a bike with horrible brakes is child abuse.



    What a load of condescending crap. If it chaps you so much buy them a bike that doesn't offend your sensibilities.

  5. #5
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,849
    Is this thread a joke? Back to the OC!
    It's all Here. Now.

  6. #6
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,646

    Do you know what chaps my hide?

    Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr View Post
    Parents that take their kids to the bike park on crappy Wal-Mart bikes. Putting a kid on a tank of a bike with horrible brakes is child abuse.
    Do you know what chaps my hide? Judgmental turd buckets like you that have nothing better to do than crap on somebody else's good time. You suck at life.

  7. #7
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,646

    Do you know what chaps my hide?

    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack-sam View Post
    Or when people with luxury cars ride mongooses.
    Same goes for you. Why do you care?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    51
    I am all for the idea that parents get their kids on bikes, be it roadies, XC, CX, mountain riding, whatever the heck they are in to. Would you prefer they buy them the latest x box, I pads, computers, fridge stocked with soda and crap food, and encourage lay about behavior? Not everyone has waste able income that they can pour into $1500 bikes, just so their kids can go on one ride, then decide they don't want to do it again.

    Ya know what chaps my hide? People who own $10000 bikes, and don't take the time to realize that their kids want to spend time with them!!!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elcaro1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    506
    Know what chaps my hide, assless chaps and posts like these.

    passion fail

  10. #10
    Perpetual n00b
    Reputation: dgw2jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,755
    Let's see if I can come up with a response that doesn't include name-calling...

    The only bikes I ever had up until I was 28 years old were Wal-Mart/Dept store bikes. Never gave any consideration to their weight or quality of components. It had 2 wheels and rolled, stopped, and shifted. It worked. When I got my first "real" bike I gained an appreciation for its light weight and quality parts. I learned the difference and why it mattered out on the trail. Someone that has only ever ridden quality stuff doesn't really have that appreciation because they don't know any different.

    A few weeks ago I saw a kid at the campground riding a Wal-mart bike that was way too big for him. The seat was slammed and he still had to bowleg to push down on the pedals. He rode that bike through the grass, rocky gravel, and sand like he was pretending to race motocross. If there was a spot that looked like he could jump, he would try to jump. He dumped it in the sand many times, but quickly hopped back on and took off to catch up to his imaginary racing buddies. Not once did he ever have that look like "man if only this bike was 10 pounds lighter, or if I had an XT derailler...". Also, he wasn't wearing any shoes (more child abuse!). This kid was passionate about riding something we would consider a POS. If a kid needs a $1500 starter bike to be passionate about cycling, then maybe it's not the right sport for them?

    Ya friggin arrogant d00cheburger!
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

  11. #11
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,849
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    Know what chaps my hide, assless chaps and posts like these.

    passion fail
    Wait! We can post pictures again?!?!
    It's all Here. Now.

  12. #12
    orthonormal
    Reputation: andy f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,128
    Bummer. I thought this thread was going to be about salsa made in NYC.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Let's see if I can come up with a response that doesn't include name-calling...

    The only bikes I ever had up until I was 28 years old were Wal-Mart/Dept store bikes. Never gave any consideration to their weight or quality of components. It had 2 wheels and rolled, stopped, and shifted. It worked. When I got my first "real" bike I gained an appreciation for its light weight and quality parts. I learned the difference and why it mattered out on the trail. Someone that has only ever ridden quality stuff doesn't really have that appreciation because they don't know any different.

    A few weeks ago I saw a kid at the campground riding a Wal-mart bike that was way too big for him. The seat was slammed and he still had to bowleg to push down on the pedals. He rode that bike through the grass, rocky gravel, and sand like he was pretending to race motocross. If there was a spot that looked like he could jump, he would try to jump. He dumped it in the sand many times, but quickly hopped back on and took off to catch up to his imaginary racing buddies. Not once did he ever have that look like "man if only this bike was 10 pounds lighter, or if I had an XT derailler...". Also, he wasn't wearing any shoes (more child abuse!). This kid was passionate about riding something we would consider a POS. If a kid needs a $1500 starter bike to be passionate about cycling, then maybe it's not the right sport for them?

    Ya friggin arrogant d00cheburger!
    What he said.

    Anything that gets kids on bikes (or skateboards, hiking, really anything outdoors for that matter) is awesome. I'm certainly not going to drop $500+ every couple of years to make sure my daughter is on a brand name bike. Kids care more about color (in my case, it will undoubtedly be a long series of pink+purple bikes) and function. My mechanic skills are sufficient to make any crappy bike ride smoothly. Kids also lose interest in things overnight, so why drop the big bucks on something that collects dust after a couple of weeks?

    I also grew up on a series of department store bikes. Never slowed me down, and in the end made me really appreciate the Trek 930 I finally bought myself in college (20 years ago, but first 'real' MTB).

    Enough has been said about the OP's character, so I'll leave it at that.

  14. #14
    Airborne Flight Crew
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,320
    "Chaps my hide" in title = do not click on thread. Most people in the thread seem to get it. I started on dept. store bikes too.

    I knew better.
    Airborne Flight Crew

    Jerry Hazard – website

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: likeaboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    778
    I grew up with crappy heavy bikes you bought at the local HW store or Western auto. Guess what, keeping those bikes working has made me a decent mechanic.

  16. #16
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    When I was a kid I would've been delirious to have any new bike. All our bikes and parts came from the city dump. Getting there and finding stuff was half the fun.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skullcap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    923
    Here, get some of this; it's really good for chapped hide.






    Threads like this are so last week. So is this attitude.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by skullcap; 08-20-2013 at 05:15 AM.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    When I was a kid I would've been delirious to have any new bike. All our bikes and parts came from the city dump. Getting there and finding stuff was half the fun.
    Same here. I would go into Bradley's and stare at the bikes. Then it was off on junk day to collect parts from other peoples trash.

  19. #19
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,292
    Quote Originally Posted by skullcap View Post
    Here, get some of this; it's really good for chapped hide.


    Attachment 823702





    Threads like this are so last week. So is this attitude.

    Udder butter

    Ride what you want
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    49
    A riding buddy of mine rides a Walmart bike every day. It must have 1500 miles on it now. It has never once had any maintenance. It may not work perfectly, but he still outrides most others with it day in and day out. Over the same time period, I have consumed big money in parts and am constantly doing maintenance.... and his bike is worth about as much as one of my spokes. lol

  21. #21
    El Gato Malo
    Reputation: Wishful Tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,372
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    When I was a kid I would've been delirious to have any new bike. All our bikes and parts came from the city dump. Getting there and finding stuff was half the fun.
    +1 ^^^^ My first nice bike was from Montgomery Ward and you couldn't have seen a happier kid than me!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nitecrwlr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    294
    I watched the kid crash 4x in a row on a pump track because it was physically impossible for him to put his hands around the brake levers. I loosened the tension on the cable but it didn't matter, he didn't have the grip strength to even budge the levers. Proud mom was looking on and the kid was in tears!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocky View Post
    A riding buddy of mine rides a Walmart bike every day. It must have 1500 miles on it now. It has never once had any maintenance. It may not work perfectly, but he still outrides most others with it day in and day out. Over the same time period, I have consumed big money in parts and am constantly doing maintenance.... and his bike is worth about as much as one of my spokes. lol
    I have been outridden by said guy on my 4 grand worth of Trek EX9. And I bet if we got him on a big dollar bike, he would really whoop my hind!!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nitecrwlr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    294
    A big, heavy bike really does make you fit!

    Quote Originally Posted by ryantrek View Post
    I have been outridden by said guy on my 4 grand worth of Trek EX9. And I bet if we got him on a big dollar bike, he would really whoop my hind!!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nitecrwlr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    294
    I have also seen the same parents strapping their kids into a K-Mart snowboard at Winter Park. Same type of abuse. The kid is setup to fail.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nitecrwlr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    294
    An adult male weights 160-180 on average. A full suspension Wal-Mart mountain bike weighs 40lbs. This is 25% of an adult's weight.

    A 7 year old kid weighs 45lbs. A kids full suspension Wal-mart mountain bike weighs 35lbs. This is 77% of a child's weight! Not the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hocky View Post
    A riding buddy of mine rides a Walmart bike every day. It must have 1500 miles on it now. It has never once had any maintenance. It may not work perfectly, but he still outrides most others with it day in and day out. Over the same time period, I have consumed big money in parts and am constantly doing maintenance.... and his bike is worth about as much as one of my spokes. lol

  27. #27
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,205
    Stop posting and abandon the thread while you still can.

  28. #28
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,646

    Do you know what chaps my hide?

    Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr View Post
    I have also seen the same parents strapping their kids into a K-Mart snowboard at Winter Park. Same type of abuse. The kid is setup to fail.
    They sound like an active family. Mountain biking AND snowboarding. It's weird that you see them in so many places.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tystevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,826
    Sorry for irritating you. I will call my kids back inside and have them play video games until I can afford a nice bike for each of them. Might be a couple years, but hey, better than annoying you.

    Anything else you want me to stop doing, while we're at it?
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    51
    I get what you're trying to say, I really do. However, I applaud the parents that want their children to be active, and give them the best opportunity that they can have to do so. If the kid is having fun, then that is what matters. It sounds like this opportunity you saw was a child not having fun. Maybe what chaps your hide is parents that try to live vicariously through their children's accomplishments by forcing them to do things that they can't or won't do. This is worth being angry about. If my daughter doesn't want to mountain bike with me when she grows up (she's only 11 months, so I've got a while) then I won't force her to do it as she cries her eyes out. If she wants to be a ballerina, I suppose I'll be sitting and watching her dance her little heart out. If she wants to play soft ball, I'll be on the sidelines yelling out every time she cracks the ball 2 feet, and I think baseball is boring to watch. All I ask as a parent is that my daughter not fall into the same sedentary life style I had. I'm finally off the couch, and doing something fun outdoors, and I love it. I wish I did it earlier.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gunnirider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    309

    No good Do you know what chaps my hide?

    ...when people start threads in Passion and want to rant. Does this make them passionate about ranting?

  32. #32
    Airborne Flight Crew
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,320
    They could make a "Rant" forum, but I doubt it would take. Posting in the wrong forum is the way of walk around here

    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kQFKtI6gn9Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Airborne Flight Crew

    Jerry Hazard – website

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: June Bug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,552
    Brilliant: Mr. Bakey's free, but he's a bit conciliatory.

  34. #34
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4,849
    This still going??!? Amazing! Snowboards now too I see! Amazinger!!! I think the OP needs to try and drag himself back into the real world, seems he's been crawlin' round in those shadows too long!
    It's all Here. Now.

  35. #35
    MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,714

    No good

    the proper phrase is "chafes my hide," not "chaps..."
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    76
    The OP was kinda joking but...
    ....in all seriousness, have you ever seen what happens when one of these $80 specials has a catastrophic failure? I'm not trying to be an ass, just pragmatic. Riding down the street or bikepath may be OK, but the bikepark/bmx track setting can get someone seriously hurt in a big hurry. I've seen it happen and it's not funny. As a reasonable alternative, most shops and craigslist have solid but outdated used stuff for the same price. FWIW, I also grew up literally with dump-diver specials and ride a modded Shop-Goose to this day. It ain' the $$ spent, but the quality/safety end that is the real problem.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pnelson112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    44
    Funny you say this I just tuned up a $200 walmart bike for a guy in Augusta Ga he rode it Minnesota!!!!!! Come to find out he is a millionaire! He just wants to prove that you dont have to have a 5k bike to ride across the country. So if he can do it any kid can.

  38. #38
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,205
    Quote Originally Posted by bryang View Post
    The OP was kinda joking but...
    ....in all seriousness, have you ever seen what happens when one of these $80 specials has a catastrophic failure? I'm not trying to be an ass, just pragmatic. Riding down the street or bikepath may be OK, but the bikepark/bmx track setting can get someone seriously hurt in a big hurry. I've seen it happen and it's not funny. As a reasonable alternative, most shops and craigslist have solid but outdated used stuff for the same price. FWIW, I also grew up literally with dump-diver specials and ride a modded Shop-Goose to this day. It ain' the $$ spent, but the quality/safety end that is the real problem.




    Have you ever seen what happens when someones $5,000.00 wonder bike has a catastrophic failure? And Walmart's warranty is better too. Kinda makes you go hmmmmmmmm.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Have you ever seen what happens when someones $5,000.00 wonder bike has a catastrophic failure? And Walmart's warranty is better too. Kinda makes you go hmmmmmmmm.
    Yup, agreed for the most part. My point is that there is a happy medium somewhere in the middle, where the rest of us live. Ditto on the $200 WalGeese-most are fairly solid, just not hi-tech. My intent is aimed at the sub-$100 group, in which you can't get ANYTHING to work on 'em for more than an hour at a time. Not looking down on those folks, because I've been there and done that. Just saying that there's better places to buy if you have lo-cash.

  40. #40
    I didn't do it
    Reputation: Mookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,051
    I say live and let live. If the parents either don't have the means or the willingness to spend a bunch of cash on a bike who cares? They're riding bikes! Isn't that what's important? Elitism chaps my hide.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    26
    I love my old bikes, and my new bike! mission accomplished, I read the thread and replied.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigfruits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by pnelson112 View Post
    Funny you say this I just tuned up a $200 walmart bike for a guy in Augusta Ga he rode it Minnesota!!!!!! Come to find out he is a millionaire! He just wants to prove that you dont have to have a 5k bike to ride across the country. So if he can do it any kid can.
    the guy doesnt know how to tune a bike and he is riding a Wallmart bike that far? hmmm. pass the salt.
    im glad the kids are riding bikes whatever they may be.
    i used to ride my cheap bmx with anywhere from 3 to 8 others around the local nieghborhood lake when i was in elementary school. i still ride around that lake today and i NEVER see any bike gangs like we had. thanks for the bike, dad.

  43. #43
    Rogue Exterminator
    Reputation: kjlued's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,956
    Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr View Post
    I have also seen the same parents strapping their kids into a K-Mart snowboard at Winter Park. Same type of abuse. The kid is setup to fail.
    My God, you are so right, if you can't afford to buy your kid the expensive high dollar stuff, then sit at home and make him watch TV. [/sarcasm]

    I am going to guess you don't have any children which is probably why you keep perving other peoples children.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

  44. #44
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikingnerd View Post
    What he said.

    Anything that gets kids on bikes (or skateboards, hiking, really anything outdoors for that matter) is awesome. I'm certainly not going to drop $500+ every couple of years to make sure my daughter is on a brand name bike. Kids care more about color (in my case, it will undoubtedly be a long series of pink+purple bikes) and function. My mechanic skills are sufficient to make any crappy bike ride smoothly. Kids also lose interest in things overnight, so why drop the big bucks on something that collects dust after a couple of weeks?

    I also grew up on a series of department store bikes. Never slowed me down, and in the end made me really appreciate the Trek 930 I finally bought myself in college (20 years ago, but first 'real' MTB).

    Enough has been said about the OP's character, so I'll leave it at that.
    Maybe not skateboards.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gasp4Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,721
    Do you know what chaps my hide?

    My chaps don't hide much. I mean, everything sorta just hangs out if I don't wear something under them.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    166
    My kid learned how to ride on a Walmart bike last week........ Are you saying I would of been even prouder of her if I had spent $500 on a better bike?? Darn it!!!!

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigfruits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakoGT View Post
    My kid learned how to ride on a Walmart bike last week........ Are you saying I would of been even prouder of her if I had spent $500 on a better bike?? Darn it!!!!
    yes, and you have to spend $500 every year as she outgrows her old bike.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nitecrwlr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    294
    This bike park is in Boulder, CO. It is in a very affluent area. Mother was wearing designer gear while her kids was repeatedly crashing on the pump track. He could not go more than a few feet because the brakes were horrendous. As a grown man, I could barely squeeze the brakes hard enough to make them contact the wheel.

    Quote Originally Posted by FlakoGT View Post
    My kid learned how to ride on a Walmart bike last week........ Are you saying I would of been even prouder of her if I had spent $500 on a better bike?? Darn it!!!!

  49. #49
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,816
    Quote Originally Posted by nitecrwlr View Post
    Parents that take their kids to the bike park on crappy Wal-Mart bikes. Putting a kid on a tank of a bike with horrible brakes is child abuse.
    If that chaps your hide, please do NOT take a very close look around you. If you do, I'm afraid your hide is gonna peel right off, and quickly, at that.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,443
    "hey son, you wanna play tackle football? I don't have money to buy you a football helmet, so here's a bandanna. just wrap that around your head and smash into some other grown men with it."

    "soccer cleats? those are too expensive for you, sweet daughter of mine. here are some flipflops. you will be just fine with these."

    working in a bike shop, so have seen too many of those junk bikes smashed and broken from "regular" use that I would be afraid to see what a kid at a bike park looks like after the ambulance comes for him when his fork snaps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. best trails to hide from the wind
    By eragirl in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 12:34 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 08:41 AM
  3. HEY, I'm gonna hide all my trails from you.
    By ihaveagibsonsg in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-15-2012, 09:33 PM
  4. Hide & Seek - How would you describe it?
    By Slurry in forum Oregon
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-21-2012, 05:57 PM
  5. Spray painting to hide decals on frame
    By roc865 in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 09:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •