Keep pedaling

Do you keep a diary?

I've been mountainbiking since 1986, and I've had a lot of interesting riding experiences. I don't keep any diary. All I have is my memories (and digital pictures from the last 11 years.)

Just purchased my first new bike in over ten years, so I'll be riding more. Thinking of starting a diary to record some of my riding experiences.

I don't like stopping to take pictures, but I like having the pictures. Maybe it would be better to ride without stopping, then write some notes in a diary after I get home.

Dirt Junkie
    I keep a log, a spreadsheet with date, place, miles and time. I do have a column for comments, but that is usually for parts replacement and the sort.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

pin it
    I rely on a digital diary. The pics are time stamped and you can add a bit of text.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I don't now, but there is a thread called

"What did you do Today on your Mountain Bike" that I post on after every ride.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

formerly Nomad rdr
    Apr 2010
    For the last three years I have been writing a quick note on a calendar, noting activity and place. It's fun to look back and compare at the end of each year.

'Tis but a scratch
    I take pics and track my ride to EveryTrail - Travel Community, iPhone Guides for Sightseeing, Hiking, Walking Tours and more. It allows you to add comments and put the pics where they were taken along your track. You can also write a little description if you chose. I later go back to see how many rides in a month, etc. There are other sites like this that you could use even if you don't want to take the pics. In fact, I'm sure there are better sites. But, I started using that and have just been sticking with it.

There is something novel about your idea of a hand-written diary. Especially if you have a knack for writing. It could really add the "passion" of that particular riding experience that all this digital stuff leaves behind. There are many people who have a blog for this purpose. Check out some folks signature lines on this forum. Even if a lot of people don't read it, you can record your perspectives.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I use runtastic (mountain bike version) and then put notes in there. I do not take pictures as once I get going I don't want to stop.

That being said if I am riding a new trail such as moab, goosebury i will take pictures.

Ride on

mtbr member
    I use a log to track trail location, mileage, date, etc. I add up the miles per month to see how many I'm getting. I know strava does it also, but it's nice to look at on paper. If I change a part I can see how many miles it has and where it's been.

Me ride.
    Oct 2009
    Just a log with date, which bike I rode, places, and any unusual happenings. And then there are pics to go along with it. Nice to look at when it's too cold to ride outside.

Michigan Wolverine
    Strava is good enough for me. If I'm feeling like it I'll snap a few pictures through Instagram that get automatically linked to Strava so they show up on the ride page. For races or other rides that were of particular note I'll do a brief little write up on my blog.
    Amassing Miles - My Little Cycling Blog

mtbr member
    I don't get as many pictures as I'd like, but I do get some now and then. I log miles using the "Cyclemeter" app, which I started using to track my progress a few years ago as I was getting into shape. Now I focus more on the kinds of trails I'm able to ride cleanly and meeting challenges (clearing that root, etc). Sometimes if I feel pretty awesome (or lame) about a ride I'll post about it to Facebook or tweet it...

mtbr member
    No, but nice idea. Usually I just track miles on my computer. That is until I swap the battery at the end of the year and clear the record. I might try to start keeping a more regular log though to track progress.

mtbr dismember

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Like a lot of others I keep a simple log
    with date, place I road, which bike I used,
    and miles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Do you keep a diary?

Personally, that's what I use strava for. You can add comments about the ride/run/etc and link it to your Instagram account to keep the pictures logged.
    2009 Gary Fisher HiFi
    riding time is split between central NH and Hudson Valley, NY

mtbr member
    Don't keep a diary of rides, but after ten years of mountain biking I built my first bike last month. I made daily notes on the build so that if I ever do another one, I won't make the same mistakes!

squish, squish in da fish
    damn wherewolf, glad to hear you're ok, but what pill did u take?

Professional Crastinator
    Ya know how you finish a really good ride with friends, then hang out and talk about all the crazy stuff that happened. Well, after riding with the same 3 guys every week for maybe 7 years, drinking hundreds of gallons of beer, and re-living ride after ride, I finally wrote down the stories that we always ended up re-telling. Most of them were some sort of mis-adventure, superhuman feat of bike riding, or curiosity. I'm glad I did because when I go back to it, there is often something that I'd since forgotten about. Since then I keep a log of "significant cycling events" - where, who, when, how far, how long, super-human -achievements - separate from my normal ride log of miles and such. It only gets maybe 3 or 4 entries in a year since the bar for "significant cycling events" has been bumped pretty high over the years.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr dismember

Diclofenac

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    damn wherewolf, glad to hear you're ok, but what pill did u take?
    Diclofenac. But this is actually the result of wearing new biking gloves last Spring in Arizona! They must have had Neoprene in them, which I'm allergic to. I wore them all day and broke out over much of my body for several months thereafter. I been hyper-sensitive to all kinds of things ever since.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorTC View Post
    Strava is good enough for me. If I'm feeling like it I'll snap a few pictures through Instagram that get automatically linked to Strava so they show up on the ride page. For races or other rides that were of particular note I'll do a brief little write up on my blog.

Yup, me too. Date, time, place, mileage, a map and any accomplishments are all right there. Ill add notes in the comments with weather conditions and if anything notable took place.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    I use Trimble Outdoors with a gps. I can add pictures, write text, etc. For example, I can go back and look at a ride I did 7 years ago, see how long it took, what my thoughts were, some photos...in case I have the opportunity to go there again (I'm thinking primarily for road trips) or let someone else know what my experience was.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I would go on some rides and journal during the ride but didn't do a lot afterwards. The journal rides would be pretty long, 40 miles, start real early, sit up on a mountain by yourself until the black flies swarms arrived. owadays I just keep logs on google drive, date and location of rides, some short description and bike setup. I also keep detailed log of when I change something on the bike and reapir work I do.

damn wherewolf. Anaphylaxis is no joke. Glad you're okay. I like reading about your big rides.

I keep a blog. I don't write about every ride, especially when my time is pressed and the rides wind up being short ones just to fit them into my schedule. I post pics when I decide to take them (I don't always take pics, either). I also post GPS tracks when I collect them (more often than not, since they tend to be the sort of thing I start when I leave the trailhead and ignore until I'm done). I have a GoPro, also, and I'll occasionally make a vid. Of course, making a vid takes a lot more time than stopping every now and again to take a still pic, so I do that even more rarely.

mtbr dismember

Lucky to be alive

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    damn wherewolf. Anaphylaxis is no joke. Glad you're okay. I like reading about your big rides.
    I had perhaps another minute of life left, so I am very grateful to be alive. It's going to take me awhile to work up to a big ride. Hopefully I'll be ready for some planned Arizona rides by mid February.