Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Do you get tired of riding the same trail?

Ever get tired of riding the same trail? Also, when does it hit you that you've ridden the same trail too much?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    OMG yes, yes I do. I either ride with other guys to spice it up a little, or we travel just to get away from the same o same o.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a private trail at my house that I get tired of mostly because it's short. I typically just use it to for a quick workout after work. I usually hit different trails on the weekends.

I've ridden 8 different trails in the last month. Lots of options within a 2 hour radius.

mtbr member
    I've only been riding one beginner trail for the last week or so and it does get old fast. When I get bored I try to concentrate on going faster or attacking the same corners from different angles to switch things up. If you've got the room take branches and logs and set yourself up a little obstacle course.

mtbr member
    This season I rode a steel hardtail exclusively. It slapped the boring right out of my local trails.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    sometimes i do. there is one local trail i love and never get tired of just because of the fun factor. if im not in love with a trail i get bored of it quick. just switch it up everynow and than. maybe even ride on the road for a few days
    2006 Monocog Flight 26
    2013 On One 456 II 26
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5
    2014 Trek Crossrip

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Traveling around to ride other trails, is part of the fun of mountain biking.

Group rides make it more fun.

Also tinkering with the bike and doing testing makes it fun too.
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Im tired of the trial within the city yes. A trail I never gotten tried of was Bukit Timah in Singapore.

Sent from my Nexus 5

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Since my riding buddy's have moved, and one is off for the year injured I have spent this summer riding the same four trails as most of my riding has been solo. These are popular trails with steady traffic so wild life encounters have been almost non existent.

I'm surprised that I haven't gotten bored yet, guess it is just a good all round fun loop with good steep climbs and fast flowing decent. However I do miss the technical stuff but have been avoiding those trails as their more isolated and with my luck will have more wildlife issues going solo. I know,,, I know,, I need to grow a pair.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Yes, I can get tired of the same trail...I mix it up riding pavement and different bikes.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I never get tired of riding the same trail - my mindset is I am thankful I have that trail to ride. I do love to ride trails in other areas and group rides. I am just happy to have something dirt to ride.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    I get bored easily. There is always new stuff to explore if you look around. Road trips are what really keep the stoke alive. Of course it sucks to come home to the "same old" after an awesome trip

mtbr member
    There are so many trails near me that I don't have that problem. #ihave99problemsbutlackoftrailsaint1.

mtbr member
    Yes.

How long it takes to tire of a trail depends on the trail. Some bore me after only a few rides. Some I have ridden for years and though I seek out new rides, I'm not sure I could really call these special trails boring. I'm lucky to have many options within a short drive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    yes, i moved.

also, i build a lot of trail. been working on my current project a good 4-8+ hours a week since april, so everyday i build, i ride to get out there and back.

i don't think i could just ride trails. building/creating new trail completes the riding lifestyle for me. i never get tired of riding trails that i create.

rog

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    No I don't. I've been riding the same trail that's nothing more than an old railroad grade converted to pathway. It's flat, straight, and nothing special. It's twenty miles round trip, and I've been doing it for ten years. Usually, I ride it every day in the rain, sleet, and snow.

When I ride, it's just like I do on the road, I look up occasionally to check for an obstacle, and then my eyes go right back to the few inches of roadway ahead of my front tire.

Cheers,
    appalachian_kamper

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Great topic.

My local trails are like the nutritious food I eat at home. Tasty and good for me. Sometimes, though, we just gots to go get some different flavors elsewhere. It's all good.

Thankfully we have an expansive menu of options. It would take this weekend warrior months to ride every trail in the hood. Years later, there are still some I haven't done. Location!

mtbr member
    I ride for the exercise routine and to clear my head every day.
    Usually I ride the same trail system of 25-30 miles of trails just for the convenience of being so close to home. I call it my gym and look at it as an alternative to going to a crowded stinking gym every day doing the same old routine on the same machines listening to the worst piped in gym music. Reminds me of going to work and punching a clock.
    To mix it up I do go to some other trails, do trail maintenance here and there, participate in the community, etc...
    It's tough to mix it up a lot when I do ride every day. That would be a lot of diversity in trails that I'm not going to find around my area.
    I should mention that I've been riding these local trails on and off since the 80's and over the past few years have increased my riding to every day.
    It hasn't gotten old yet.

Resident Gear Head
    Yep, but I usually use those trails to practice my skills because I know the terrain and what to expect
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Try a single speed or different style of bike. I just did that and it definitely changed the ride. New lines you have to pick, grinding up climbs that you can normally sit and spin, lots of stuff changes. Make the same old trails new again.

b a n n e d
    I do get bored, yes . . . but not enough that it becomes boring per se.

Try riding your trail in reverse . . . its quite surprising how different a trail becomes when ridden in the other direction. Similarly, try riding at night.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Maybe if I ever perfect my regular loop it will become boring....... someday.

A few other routine things that I still find satisfying;

burritos
    pizza
    missionary sex (still trying to perfect that too)

Professional Crastinator
    It's not that I'm bored, but riding the trail becomes almost compulsory, then you're like "Oh, here comes that step up that I always make. Oh, here comes that switchback that I always make. Oh, here comes that speedway section that I always hammer..." It's almost procedural at that point. On the rare occasion that I get to ride that much, I ride 'em backwards. I try to go when trail traffic will be light/non-existent. Some sections become extremely difficult and I find out that I do hafta walk sometimes.

OR, I lead novices on that trail. To a new rider, every stick and stone is an individual obstacle to be dealt with (stuff that becomes invisible to an intermediate rider). It is really fun to see them figure out what a bike can do. That totally freshens things up!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So long as I'm riding I never get bored. Plus the trail system
    near me has probably 25-30 miles of trails.

mtbr member
    I think everyone has hit the points I thought of when I read the topic but to summarize:

Yes it can get a little stale sometimes when I ride 5-6 days a week on (for the most part) the same three or four trails, but I don't get bored because:

1.These three or four trails are pretty stinking good.

2. I have a high tolerance for boredom. (I'm an optometrist. You try asking which is better one or two all day long ).

3.It's still waaaaaaaaaaay better than a treadmill or trainer. Way better.

4. I travel to other locations 4-6 times a year to ride some other stuff.

5. I ride loops backwards or connect trails in different ways to keep it fresh

6. I need to do more night rides but when I've done that it's amazing how different the same old trail is.

7. Taking noobs on these trails is always a revelation to me and always a lot of fun.

8. I almost always ride solo but riding with others mixes things up nicely.

9. I switch up bikes occasionally. It was amazing how the old trails came alive again when I got my new lighter, faster, 27.5 short travel bike.'

10. I just love riding my bike. Doesn't really matter where or with whom. If I can hear the knobbies crunching over dirt and feel the wind blowing in my ears it's a good day.
    Last edited by KRob; 13 Hours Ago at 07:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast