REALLY?

Do you consider yourself a professional rider - paid or not?

I do consider myself a professional...even though I don't always ride like one (I never wear a helmet as an example - I really should, or just ride stupid when I know better), also, I'm not paid or sponsored so to speak. On the other hand, I've never owned a car or drivers licence, so, and its been a little over 36 years now I've used my bike nearly on a daily bases to get around and as my primary transportation. Does anyone else use there bike as there primary transportation, and or do you feel you've reached a skill level that is above average, professional perhaps - or at least at a level your content with?
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Oh, I better get the popcorn to watch the online ego-fest that this will likely bring out.

Answer: no, not even close. When I have a "pro" ride there is always a humbling one in answer to it. There is always someone faster or more skilled, or many.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

REALLY?
    Yeah, your probably right on the ego thing...and I'll be the first to admit a lot on this forum could probably smoke me on the trails, I may be as skilled or in most cases more skilled here and there, but unfortunately I've smoked cigarettes for 30 years - which makes me more like a cheetah, I can ride short distances at high speed, but I simply don't have the stamina to maintain high speeds or steep climbs w/ out at least slowing down and pacing myself - I have to or my breath becomes short, and my muscles tighten up, it sucks a$$. (Dont say it, I need to quit - and will soon). And if any youngsters are reading this - quit now while its still easy, or don't ever start, it will be the worst choice you ever made, I guarantee it. If I didn't smoke, I could be paid to ride. /End rant
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nope....

But my wife and I found an experienced rider who who was riding by himself on a local trail who had crashed. He was wearing his helmet but he hit a rock good and it broke. He was completely out of it with a concussion and we had to walk him 4 miles out of the park. We were on a night ride and we were the only other people there. His head would have been split wide open without that helmet.

I say if you are really a professional you would wear a helmet. The next crash is just around the corner.

Bike Snob
    Jeff, your description of yourself shows an lifetime of poor choices. IF you were ever good enough to be paid to ride your bike I am sure you would have blown the opportunity with more self destructive behavior.
    The best pros are not just paid because they can ride hard but because they have the mental fortitude as well.
    Take another hit on the pipe with and keep dreaming about the "what if's." Say hello to Uncle Rico for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    Jeff, your description of yourself shows an lifetime of poor choices. IF you were ever good enough to be paid to ride your bike I am sure you would have blown the opportunity with more self destructive behavior.
    The best pros are not just paid because they can ride hard but because they have the mental fortitude as well.
    Take another hit on the pipe with and keep dreaming about the "what if's." Say hello to Uncle Rico for me.
    Funny if not a little harsh.

Pros are in mega good shape. Their skills are king, but the reality is being in shape and the ability to climb hills often are the determining factor for many races.

I like the idea of being a pro, but more so I like the idea of being a good dad/husband and being a responsible human being. Beyond that this is a hobby. Albeit the most wonderful hobby in the world.

I live to bike
    Not sure I understand the question. If you're not paid, you're not a professional, simple as that. By definition, you have to be paid to be a professional.

Now, that's not to say you can't ride as well as a professional, but you wouldn't BE a professional unless you were paid to.

And you don't have to win races to be paid as a professional cyclist. Know any bicycle tour guides? Ride at slow speeds, but you can call them professionals - people pay them to ride their bike and lead them around. City bike messengers are professionals, actually earn their living on their bikes

I was a professional cyclist for two days - I went to Interbike in 2007. My shop paid for my travel, expenses, and my weekly pay. The two days of Outdoor Demo were just riding bikes. So, I was paid to ride bikes, therefore I was a professional. Now, if only Outdoor Demo could have been 250 days, that'd be the life!
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    d00d lets make pipes out of bike parts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    Not sure I understand the question.
    He just wanted everyone to know that he's pretty much the $hit. No one rips as hard. Clearly. Don't believe the hype about cigarettes. They're GREAT. It's like training your lungs for abuse without getting off the couch. Who needs a helmet when you're that awesome? Just more weight. Keep being awesome OP. It's working for you. BTW: Which one are you? Buick or Robby?

REALLY?
    Actually, I didn't have any of those things in mind (we assume/imagin things online all the time - I've done it to, shrugs). Thirty-six years, never cracked my head, not once, cracked everything else - and the few times I did crack my head (raced bmx in the day) I was wearing a helmet...hype...is that a cigarette in my hand or a joint - hmmmm, we'll never know. Who the hell is Robbie and Buick. Goto Facebook, my name and photo are the same as below. I don't hide behind fake sceen names or any of that crap. To answer the others...imagin whatever you wish, its the internet right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde View Post
    He just wanted everyone to know that he's pretty much the $hit. No one rips as hard. Clearly. Don't believe the hype about cigarettes. They're GREAT. It's like training your lungs for abuse without getting off the couch. Who needs a helmet when you're that awesome? Just more weight. Keep being awesome OP. It's working for you. BTW: Which one are you? Buick or Robby?
    Last edited by jeffgothro; 10-01-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post

Jeffrey, you big tease. We all know that's a blunt, you can't fool us.

Your making my point for me but I do applaud your confidence. At no time in my entire life did I think I was good enough to be a pro.

REALLY?

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by brianpalser View Post
    Funny if not a little harsh.

Pros are in mega good shape. Their skills are king, but the reality is being in shape and the ability to climb hills often are the determining factor for many races.

I like the idea of being a pro, but more so I like the idea of being a good dad/husband and being a responsible human being. Beyond that this is a hobby. Albeit the most wonderful hobby in the world.
    That's exactly what I'm saying, I worked very hard everyday 6 hours a day sometimes and paid my dues to have the skills I have and yes, I'm proud of myself and at the accomplishments I've made - all countless hours dirt jumping, racing, street, mtbing, etc, however as you mentioned, I'm not the in the greatest shape, or shape I could be in. I'm with you on the dad thing, single here w/ daughters. Hobby, for me its more of an obsession, I live, and pritty much breath bikes. I started this thread with the idea in mind of where people were in there riding, skills, etc and if they are happy with it. But, as usual people want to pollute the thread with there own imagination and ideas about everything else on how they think things are on the other side of the monitor (its ok, we all do it to some extent, me too). Someone mentioned they were pro for two days, well, if your going by that criteria, then we're in the same boat, I've been paid to ride a time or two. In fact, by that criteria I guess I can count delivering news papers on my bike.
    Last edited by jeffgothro; 10-01-2011 at 02:09 PM.

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    At no time in my entire life did I think I was good enough to be a pro.
    Neither did I, it just happened. Actually, its a cigarette in the pic, don't care for blunts/joints, to much burn off and waste, I use a pipe (pic of pipe on Facebook...lolz).

REALLY?
    I totally agree, If that's the point your trying to make, I really should wear a helmet. I've been not just skillfull,but very very fortunate I will admit to have kept my skull intact all these years, sometimes I wonder if/when my number will come up and I finally bash my head in (yeah, you don't have to say it, I know). The last bad one I took was a bunnyhop over an island in the road on a bmx 5 years ago, flipped it and flew 10 feet and slammed to the street, was bad, limped away, went into shock slightly, dislocated my shoulder. Did the stunt a million times, never hardly a crash - my number finally came up I guess, it wasn't my day. Subsequently, the older I get I have felt more open to the idea of wearing a helmet - not only that, but that bike pictured is my first titanium bike, and the fastest...that bike is like having a McLaren F1 between your legs and can scare me sometimes, thus the feel of the need for a skull cap. Peace out.

mtbr member
    This thread is goofy. In my opinion if someone has to ask if they are a pro, they're not. Unless someone gets paid to ride or race they are not a pro. When in doubt, you're not a pro. Pros of high character don't fluent their pro status either.

Quitting nicotine was one of the most difficult things I've done in my life. I felt like total crap for about a month. It takes a ton of mental fortitude and determination to quit nicotine. What an insidious drug.

Rides like a kid
    My opinion is that if you are not making your living riding your bike, you are not a pro.

jeffgothr, you have a faster bike (awesome by the way) + slower reflexes due to age (sux, happens to all of us) = time to buy a helmet

I have 3 different helmets. One is a skate style that is nice and warm in the cold weather and offers the best protection while the other two are more road bike style but each has a use. Try some on and see what fits your style/needs.

Quitting cigs was tough, but it can be done. I quite after I got a nasty cold. I didn't want to smoke for the 5 days I was sick, then I figured the first 5 days were under my belt, I might as well keep it up. That was 15 years ago.

mtbr member
    O.P., you know what "pro" means, right? Short for "professional"...meaning you do it as your profession, and implying that you get paid (in some fashion) for riding.

You either are, or you're not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    Thirty-six years, never cracked my head, not once, cracked everything else - and the few times I did crack my head
    uh... say again.

banned
    If you hold a PRO USA Cycling license but do not get sponsored or only paid when you win are you a "PRO"?

REALLY?
    lolz