Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Vita brevis

Diving board, Porcupine Rim in Moab

While viewing the Steeeep thread, I noticed a number of pics of people riding a rock that seems to be called the "Diving Board". I recognize it from my recent trip to Moab, and wonder how many have a shot of it. Here is mine.

Post 'em if you got 'em.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Likely the most photographed drop to flat in the world.

MK.

Nickle.

I've only hit the higher spot up a few times over the years - always so damn freakin' windy when getting to that spot.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Vita brevis
    I'm impressed with those who roll it.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by rustus
    I'm impressed with those who roll it.
    Me too. I've rolled the easier side, but always been too chicken to give it a shot right down the tallest bit.

Nickle made it look super smooth. IMO, far more skill required to do that rather than just drop off the thing.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

2006 Yeti AS-X

Nice! That pic looks eerily close to the cliff though so I dunno how brave i would be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That's one of those drops that those who shouldn't attempt it might pass it by, look back and say "I can hit that" then go back and mess themselves up. Not to be all morbid about it or anything but I read a guy's story who thought he could drop it (and him not being someone who ever attempts drops, like me). So he broke both elbows then walked himself out all the way down to 128. We all know how far that is. Just sayin'...those who hit this should know what they're doing before they attempt it. It's not a trainer drop.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Nat
    Solo contendre
    tberg dropping it:

Me rolling it:

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    That's one of those drops that those who shouldn't attempt it might pass it by, look back and say "I can hit that" then go back and mess themselves up. Not to be all morbid about it or anything but I read a guy's story who thought he could drop it (and him not being someone who ever attempts drops, like me). So he broke both elbows then walked himself out all the way down to 128. We all know how far that is. Just sayin'...those who hit this should know what they're doing before they attempt it. It's not a trainer drop.
    Wise words there. The landing is flat or maybe even pitched up a few degrees and is hard rock. I was surprised (relieved really) that my 29" xc wheels didn't both fold when I dropped it, because I landed totally flat. I was also hoping my stem, bars, fork, frame wouldn't snap. Here I am about to hug the stem:

Ufffff!

mtbr member
    <--------- I'm not sure where the full size one is.

mtbr member
    I'm always surprised how harsh the landing is. It's not that high of drop, but like nat said, I think it's totally flat or even upsloped just a bit. I clanked hard on both ends last time I dropped it.

There's a story and photos of someone breaking a Titus Switchblade in half on that drop floating around here somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    cant wait to check this out! I will be there this summer, July 13-18 or so. We are riding from Fruita to Moab, then hangin around in Moab for a few days.

How's the weather in mid July around there?

how heavy are you ??

an oven

Quote Originally Posted by mtrider857
    cant wait to check this out! I will be there this summer, July 13-18 or so. We are riding from Fruita to Moab, then hangin around in Moab for a few days.

How's the weather in mid July around there?
    honestly, an OVEN. if you like to ride early like sun up and be done by 10 am then hit it
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottay5150
    honestly, an OVEN. if you like to ride early like sun up and be done by 10 am then hit it
    Doood, every year there's posts from riders wanting to hit Moab in July. If you're coming from Phoenix you know heat. How much riding do you do in Phoenix during the middle of the day? Peeps from Iowa think that just because the humidity is 100% where they're from they can handle the 105-110 degree/low humidity heat of Moab. And some die trying.

I've heard from locals that July is their least favorite month, followed closely by August. If you have to resort to riding up in the La Sals to avoid the heat just go to Crested Butte instead.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    damn, there's 6 of us going out, and we are used the St Louis humidity, but not dry heat in the 100's, we might have to consider other places in Colorado for part of the trip, thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Doood, every year there's posts from riders wanting to hit Moab in July. If you're coming from Phoenix you know heat. How much riding do you do in Phoenix during the middle of the day? Peeps from Iowa think that just because the humidity is 100% where they're from they can handle the 105-110 degree/low humidity heat of Moab. And some die trying.

I've heard from locals that July is their least favorite month, followed closely by August. If you have to resort to riding up in the La Sals to avoid the heat just go to Crested Butte instead.

I was one of those people last year. I ended up riding it last year about the same time (mid july). It was super freaking hot! I had never rode Moab before, so I really wanted to ride there, and I was passing through. I tried to ride Amasa Back the first day, and foolishly headed to the trail head about 9:30 or 10:00. I made it up half way until my better judgment kicked in and decided to turn back. I was literally the only rider on the trail. I did see a guy 4 wheeling in a Jeep, but that was it. Once I got back to my car, I noticed that the intensity of the heat cracked my windshield, where the temp gauge read 110. I imagine if I would have kept going I could have easily become a statistic.
    The next day I did ride the slickrock trail, but left for the trail head around 5:30. Again, i didn't see anyone out there until I returned to my car. I want to make a trip back there again, but will make sure cooler temps prevail.

Your comment about dying trying is for real; I checked it out (later) and apparently people die every year there doing exactly what I was doing, from heat exhaustion, dehydration, and even flash flooding. Supposedly summer storms come out of nowhere there.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrider857
    damn, there's 6 of us going out, and we are used the St Louis humidity, but not dry heat in the 100's, we might have to consider other places in Colorado for part of the trip, thanks for the heads up.
    If your bike trip is in July, then how about heading to the high country of Colorado such as Crested Butte, Vail, or Winter Park? That's what I would do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    If your bike trip is in July, then how about heading to the high country of Colorado such as Crested Butte, Vail, or Winter Park? That's what I would do.

What Nat said. A July mountain biking trip to Colorado is ideal. Moab is a great place to go...in March/April and late September/October.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ok thanks guys, we're going to have to have a group meeting at the local micro brew to go over these new details, I'm going to vote to wrap up the trip in Crested Butte or something...

mtbr member
    Rolling the diving board.... which was about the only option this day as the cross wind was so strong.

And here's a couple more drops on porc rim that are about the same height but land much nicer..... and like other's have said, in July there's nicer places to ride.

Photo credit Nickle on the first two and tscheezy on the last two
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    MTRider-
    I live here and the kokopelli trail (fruita to moab) is a horrendous blazing inferno during that time period and quite possibly a safety risk. You're on the right track to go to the high country. I wouldn't even bother trying to ride in the Grand Junction/Fruita/Moab area during that time if I was on a road trip. Of course, I'll be out there around dusk, but that's cause I'm chained to a job here and am just waiting for the weekend when I can escape to the mountains. You won't be disappointed with the mountain riding in Colorado!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Re: diving board drop

I have a video of the drop on my blog ( I should of said "that's a hard landing" Not.....)

http://westylivin.blogspot.com/2009/...drop-moab.html

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    The landing is flat or maybe even pitched up a few degrees
    In my part of the world, that's called a "Dan-sition" named after Dangerous Dan and his, back in the day, flat or uphill landings.

NOT Team Sanchez
    I got out to Moab for my first time and it was great, I didn't think the diving board, or the other move posted were that bad.........but hot dang the notch was crazy! I made it to the turn but always ended up too high right, on my last attempt I was still to high right but went for it anyway.....I started to endo so I shot the bike out from under me right into the lower tree then my buddy Naked1, sorry Tyler
    I like bikes.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    I got out to Moab for my first time and it was great, I didn't think the diving board, or the other move posted were that bad.........but hot dang the notch was crazy! I made it to the turn but always ended up too high right, on my last attempt I was still to high right but went for it anyway.....I started to endo so I shot the bike out from under me right into the lower tree then my buddy Naked1, sorry Tyler
    The Notch is a dick! I was scared just walking down it! Not wanna die!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    Glad you made it! I thought you said you were going but then I didn't see you in the pic Ben posted so wondered if you missed that trip.

Yeah, the notch (Upper Body Bag) is a bugger I have not yet cleaned. My best try was like your's. I tried to stay high and to the right coming down out of the notch and just washed out on the off camber slab. FWIW, everyone I've seen clean it aims straight down at the tree and turns right at the stump... almost using it as a berm. Balsy move for sure.

I didn't even make it to Porc Rim on my trip over two weeks ago because there was still 2 inches of snow on LPS the day I coulda done it.

I heard they'd built a bypass route. Did you guys see that?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast