mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Dirt road ridin'

Here in the CSRA for the last 6 weeks we've had torential rain on a nearly daily basis. Streets are flooding. One of our trails is along the shore of Lake Thurmond, and parts of it are currently IN the lake since the lake is about 2ft above full pool. Trails are just too wet to ride.

So, on Saturday five of us got together for dirt road ride. We did a great 37mile ride that was mostly off pavement. 7 or miles of pavement maybe? Fun times.

Pretty much every type of bike was present short of a race-style road bike (which would not have worked in the clay). I was on my road bike with tubeless 28mm tires, Michael and Keith were both on CX bikes, Stan has a monster-cx El Mariachi, and Gator was on a hardtail MTB.

And here's some pics.

Stan laying down some powah.

Michael and Gator rollin' out.

Cheese!

Keith, only the 2nd ride on his new Trek Crossrip, which is a pretty cool bike.

The first creek crossing was an easy ride.

This is good gravel. Hardpack, smooth as glass, and fast.

Some sections of road had exposed rock, which was really cool.

This creek was not rideable. It was knee deep with fast current. Soft sticky clay road afterwards...

The clay. It was wet and soft, so it rolled slow - felt like dragging bricks behind you. And with my 28mm wide tires with no tread, it was a little slick. I was able to ride everything though.

Judging by the tire tracks this guy tried to do a u-turn and it didn't work out.

One of the hardest climbs is near the end of the route, and it was almost all soft slow sticky slippery clay.

Ya don't say...

mtbr member
    Still nurturing a MTB injury from last summer, I have been doing a lot of this lately:

Challenge Eroica 30's. Whish there was room for fenders.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....