Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Different Discipline Experience.

909 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Fleas 
#1 ·
I ride Cross Country Hardtail bikes. Always have. High saddle, low bars, you know the type. Have never owned a full suspension bike let alone ride a downhill trail. I live in a downhill-centric town and work in a bike shop with a bunch of downhilling type guys, so I've heard the stories, seen the 64 degree head angle bikes with 8 inches of suspension caravanning through my town, and over the last two years, my interest had reached a fever pitch. Borrowed a 170mm Norco and went to see what all the fuss was about. Super fun, tiring in a different way than cross country, and very, very, scary. I have much respect for the downhillers and bike park guys on this board.

I could not get it through my head that when faced with a five foot vertical sheer wall drop, these bikes can simply just handle it. I rode this trail five times today. Started out by climbing down the drops and through the three feet deep ruts. By the fifth time, I was able to ride through most of it, but at a snails pace compared to some of the other guys there. Don't think I will be adding one of these whips to my stable, cause it just isn't really my thing. I am 46 for goodness sake and it seems that one can easily...no, probably be killed dead screwing up on one of these trails. I will stick to the cross country, but am very stoked to have done this!
Couple of pics below that no where near adequately show the pucker factor of this trail....

Just beyond where the singletrack ends is where the drops begin.

Then there was this memorial plaque that was weighing on my mind during the ride......Don't know the guy, but rest in peace Moe.

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool post! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. You don't need to hit the super gnar all the time though, or at all. Lots of descents out there which are not going to kill you which will be fun on a trail or AM bike. Technical skills you gain will improve your overall riding and confidence even when you're on your XC bike. Now time for that dropper post!

#3 ·
Cool!
I usu. ride XC rigid. When I got a feel for 5" of travel, it caused me to see the trail in an entirely different way. Back on rigid, I don't worry so much about holding a perfect line or even going the smoothest way. Sometimes I just ride in a straight line and deal with all of it.

8" travel would be a whole new experience again!

-F

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.