mtbr member

Describe Your Riding Posse

I'm not sure what year it started, maybe 1991. It began as a way for my fellow music obsessed friends to gather a couple times a year and ride bikes. We met in Moab in March, then meet again in Sun Valley in the fall. The next year was Downieville and Flagstaff. We'd bring our mix tapes to exchange and we'd discuss music late into the night, after each ride. They came from all over. Rob (chim chim) lived in Oregon. Soren was in Minneapolis. Adam was teaching college classes in Lawrence, Kansas. Todd (Sisyphus) was silkscreening t-shirts in Omaha. I (Raven Leader) was living in Sacramento, along with a couple others.

Chim Chim was the one who came up with our logo and I ordered the jackets. Sisyphus made all the t-shirts. Our bikes were crap, mostly, although one by one, we'd get a front suspension fork or upgrade to a new bike with one. The guys from the midwest would bring along a croquet set, and we'd play a round every meet-up. We picked a few rides and go out and get lost. We never brought enough water or food and someone always had mechanical problems. I had to play mechanic on the trip to Flagstaff because I was still healing up from a broken collarbone. But I remember liking Flagstaff so much that we moved there from Boise, after being there a year.

Describe Your Riding Posse-20180131_074024_resized.jpg Describe Your Riding Posse-20180131_073652_resized.jpg

We were the Endo Posse. E Pluribus Endo...In Dirt We Trust. Music and mountain biking were our passions. I still remember heading out on an afternoon ride on Gemini Bridges trail in Moab. Eleven of us started that ride. I was showing off my bunny-hopping skills while riding at high-speed on the first decent and when I landed in some sand and turned my handlebars to regain control, both of the legs on my Rock Shock Mag 20 snapped off. It was a painful fall and a bar end cracked a rib and left me out of breath. But I carried my bike back to the car and had time to go buy a take-off rigid fork at Poison Spider Bikes, so I could be up and riding the next day. But while I waited for the gang to show up at the designated finish location, it got dark and nobody arrived. I kept waiting there and finally 2 of the remaining 10 riders came walking down in the dark. Hours later we were working on a rescue plan. We sent a group of motorcycle guys out looking for everyone. It seems they got to a split in the trail and debated which way to go and after arguing a while, they split into two groups. Then a couple females took their own route and ended up spending the night in a cave. Gradually, we began finding people. We pooled some cash and paid search and rescue $300 to go out looking for the women. They didn't find them until the next morning.

Describe Your Riding Posse-endo-posse.jpg

Now there is a new Posse. The old Posse has disbanded. The Porkchop Express no longer hauls a dozen or more bikes around.
    Describe Your Riding Posse-20171126_145032_resized.jpg

Most of my former posse don't ride anymore and we also quit meeting in Austin each March for SxSW music festival. The new group is made up of Sonny, the oldest and most fit, originally from Boston. Tom, who is now dating Sonny's niece, who is married, so that is causing some issues. Tom rode the Great Divid Trail and recently bought an expensive Italian sports car. He is talking about buying a second property in Oregon. Debbie, who he is dating, is also a good rider who may become part of our group. Mark, who is dating a woman who rides and so he skips a lot of our group rides. Robby (the sweeper) is a maniac. He is a former body builder and crazy motorcycle rider, once known for standing on his street bike while riding at 150mph on a highway in Florida. Last year he got taken down during a mountain bike race by someone trying to pass him on a tight section of trail and Robby ended up punching the guy in the nuts. B-dog, my better half, formerly known as Miss South Dakota (chim chim made that up), joins the boys on weekends. Peter is a former swimmer from ASU, and rides strong up or down the mountain. Ernie is a former racer who goes down the mountains as fast as when he use to race. He abuses bikes and Trek finally cut him off after replacing his frame 5 times. Fast Dave got fired from his job as a hospital administrator. He found a new job, but he had to move to Maine. I think he traded his Pivot for a snow mobile (just joking). Aaron the Mormon is a great technical rider. He misses a lot of rides because he spends his time with his family. Big Mike, who stands 6' 5", and rides a xxl Santa Cruz, use to be a trail guide in Moab. His shows up for rides with mechanical problems before we even leave the parking lot. Pastor John is pastor of a local Baptist Church. He raced in the late 1990's. He is back in shape and loves it when the ride gets "feisty". Dave II, is a neighbor who rides single speed. He rides fast all the time. He took me out a couple days ago and showed me some unmapped trails. He wants to build a new connector trail and asked me for help. Allen lives in Bend, Oregon and rides with us when he is passing through Phoenix. He did so well in life that he quit working at 41 and now travels to kite surf and ride. He emailed me yesterday and says he is arriving in Phoenix at 5pm today from Mexico City and wants to go to dinner (probably all-you-can eat sushi).

That is my inner circle of riding buddies. Tell us about yours
    Respect the land, defend the defenseless, and don't ya never spit in front of women and children - The Code Of The West

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Mid-pack hooligans and apres-lot drunks, mostly.

Super Clyde
    Mainly my 15 year old son.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

Colorado
    Old retired guys who can hammer

mtbr member
    Mostly, 65 year old man + 27 year old son

or

65 year old man + 64 year old wife.

The last thing I want to do is ride with more than one other person.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for that insight and look into your riding groups OP. Pretty interesting pictures and makeups. Having only been riding MTB for a couple of months most of my rides right now are solo, maybe one other. Your background makes the future sound interesting though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Brings back a lot of nostalgia for me thinking about my old posse. Unfortunately times change, people get married, move away, and have kids. We called ourselves the four horsemen as there were four of us, we always rode and built trails together. It was some of my fondest memories on a bike. Nowadays I'm more of a lone wolf. I ride with whoever I can but no one group in particular. It's hit and miss these days factoring in schedules and availability so I ride alone a lot. Hoping to find a new crew of friends who I can call my posse.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    My posse is a dog.

His name is Bear and he likes to run. Fast.Describe Your Riding Posse-meandbear.jpg

My other ride
    Mix

-Non racer enduro guy (competes against himself only via Strava), an adventurer.
    -Cat 2 XC guy who also does enduro.
    -Laid back guy who just like to enjoy singletrack. No pressure.
    -Family guy who likes to ride, but won't take risks, not stressed about improving.
    -Older guy (60'ish) who is new, likes to bomb anything and push his limits.
    -A kid (20'ish) who is pretty clueless, but likes to hang out with us old guys.
    -Pro XC guy in baggies on a long travel bike.

Keep on Rockin...
    Cool posts. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There this guy who used to be a college athlete, talks a lot about when he was in better shape, isn't really in great shape anymore, he wheezes on the hills and likes to talk about times when he went sooo much faster up this hill or that one. No one really listens to him, so generally he's just riding along babbling to himself.

The other guy who has a kid and can be relied upon to cancel at the last minute more often than not. Granted, his kid is cute, but how you gonna ride if every sunday you text that your daughter has ballet, or swimming, or a cold.

Another sometime shows up to rides on his single-speed, don't get me wrong, he's a decent rider, but just not fast and slows the ride down generally. His knees creak like an old man even though he isn't. Sometimes he throws up, that's funny.

The last one has an "old" 26er but keeps upgrading it, insisting it's just as good as the new bikes, but in truth, I think he's just scared of dropping a bunch of money on a new bike and instead just buys parts one at a time.

I ride alone.

mtbr member
    First off, I would love to have a group of riding friends that was as dedicated to mountain biking trips as I was but I'm lucky to get them to go on a 4 day weekend once a year, sometimes twice. Only one of them will actually spend money to go on a quality tour. They'd rather stick around home and ride the same boring trails that wouldn't even exist in Fruita, Sedona or Oakridge because nobody would ride them.

That being said, I call the core of our group Team AARP because we all qualify for benefits. I'm the youngster at 53 and we have a couple guys that are 61 & 63 as well. We have some younger folks that join us every 3-4 weeks on your Saturday ride which changes location each week. On any given week, there may be 2 of us or up to 8 or 9 but usually it's 3-4 because there's only two of us that place mountain biking at the top of our priority list, especially on Saturdays. Whatever it is I have to do, it can wait until after I ride.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3 View Post
    There this guy who used to be a college athlete, talks a lot about when he was in better shape, isn't really in great shape anymore, he wheezes on the hills and likes to talk about times when he went sooo much faster up this hill or that one. No one really listens to him, so generally he's just riding along babbling to himself.

The other guy who has a kid and can be relied upon to cancel at the last minute more often than not. Granted, his kid is cute, but how you gonna ride if every sunday you text that your daughter has ballet, or swimming, or a cold.

Another sometime shows up to rides on his single-speed, don't get me wrong, he's a decent rider, but just not fast and slows the ride down generally. His knees creak like an old man even though he isn't. Sometimes he throws up, that's funny.

The last one has an "old" 26er but keeps upgrading it, insisting it's just as good as the new bikes, but in truth, I think he's just scared of dropping a bunch of money on a new bike and instead just buys parts one at a time.

I ride alone.
    That's pretty funny. I've had buds cancel at times, dont give a hoot what any of them ride and I'll bet I was faster and in better shape 5, 10, 20 years ago than I am now.
    Those boring old has-been's sound like they deserve the loss !

mtbr member
    Here we are in front of Starbuck's before we head out to rob a train.

Name:  Medicine-Lodge-bank-robbery-posse.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  11.7 KB
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Well...about 20 years ago it was 6-7 guys that were regulars - all in our mid to late 30's. We would ride year round a couple of times a week...night rides, rain & muck, snow, didn't matter, we would always ride. Fit it in between jobs, families, etc. We are lucky to be in an area where there's 6-8 great singletrack rides within 30 minutes of us and each is different in it's own way. I'm the 'old guy' by 4-5 years but usually at the front so they couldn't sh*t on me too much for that. In the last 20 years we solved many of the worlds problems consuming thousands of cold Bass at various parking lots around Eastern CT trailheads. We all ride motorcycles and do local rides occasionally. Every June we make a trek to NH for motorcycle week ride the twisties in the White Mountains.

Fast forward to 2018...many bumps, bruises, a few broken bones and broken bikes later...now it's 1 or 2, sometimes 3. Of the original crew, one moved to Fla, one died in a car crash, three claim they are too old to ride. But it's still awesome to get out and ride...I do 3/week now. Lot's of solo rides the last couple of years but have to choose wisely because some places don't get much traffic if I have an incident. New places pop up every so often but we still ride some of the same places. Many trails, crossings, log-piles, etc. have come and gone. On some of the older locations we've gone back to the long forgotten 'old loop' and it becomes 'new again'. Every so often we drive a bit further to try new places and keep it fresh after all these years.

There are still problems in our world but no worries...with all the new improved beer selections available we continue to work diligently on solving them post ride.
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    ... Lot's of solo rides the last couple of years but have to choose wisely because some places don't get much traffic if I have an incident...
    Similar concerns here, especially in the cold weather. So to keep my wife happy, I've installed a GPS tracker on my phone that she can check on a website exactly where I am and if I'm still moving. I turn it on when I go out and turn it off when I return. Makes me feel safer as well.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    thisonetimeinbandcamp
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Me, myself and I get along well, keep the same oddball hours, are never early or late, like the same trails and dislike noise, ride at the same pace, etc. It's a good arrangement.

Professional Crastinator
    My current posse is quite random, but if I am looking for an outing there are 4 or 5 very reliable dudes who make for a great trip. I see them almost exclusively on said trips. They are up for all day rides in any weather, basic lodgings, good food, and good beer. At this time, almost everyone has a nice bike and a nice vehicle on which to tote it. Preference is rocky stuff around PA and NY.

In the 1990s I had my college posse and my home posse.

College was mostly my one roommate and myself. We were pretty evenly matched so it was always a LOT of fun, and we raced every trail like it was the frickin' Olympics. We usually rode 'til we were almost too tired to drive back to ATL. Not that we couldn't behave in a group - we could. But few people actually wanted to ride with us. We had some great rides around North GA - Ellijay and such, and we often did road rides around ATL, or hit the city parks and industrial parks on the MTBs.

The home posse was all about going fast and poaching anything and everything, including construction sites, golf courses, horse trails, pipe lines, power lines, hiking trails, deer trails, and everything in the Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area (now CVNP). We often rode at night, on week nights, fueled with pizza and usually a few beers, and could pretty much outrun anyone or anything that saw us. ...except this one time...

I still see my college buddy when I get out to CO, and I still ride with one of the pizza posse locally... just a lot slower than we used to. Another member of the pizza posse now rides a 4-wheeler and fishes a lot, but he still has his RTS-1 hanging in the garage. The 4th guy fell off the face of the Earth.

The common thread? No whiners.

I enjoy the nostalgia of all the old stories. I could sit by the fire and trade stories 'til the sun comes up, but I don't dwell on it. I know all those early firsts will never be repeated.
    It makes me want to try new things/locations/bikes/events/trails/buddies/conditions and make some new firsts.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I ride mainly:

Describe Your Riding Posse-b1ff9ff5-ade6-4d07-ad4d-3420d764e2ab.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Co Springs
    2 groups for me;

I get calls from the old hiking group that I converted to sometime riders. A couple of AFA retirees- mid to late 60's and an retired Dr I know from my wife's office. He's about 77 or so. Those three have been friends and in a hiking group for years and I got started into hiking with them 8 -10 years ago on days I didn't have other plans or rides. Year 'round and sometimes the incline, we got those nice spikes!
    When we bike, it's early to mid morning weekdays, nothing treacherous or too big on long climbs but they are impressive in their want of getting out and those dang long boring 6 mile hikes they do, I sometimes have to skip or cut out early. Just can't handle the time vampire of a 2 -3 hour hike. Bike rides keep me more engaged. We do a lot of the Santa Fe path; various 'reaches' of it, 8 -12 - 16 miles total, often stopping downtown for breakfast along the way.
    Just for giggles;
    Gary - Kona h/t , early 2000,
    John - Late 80's Trek 830 maybe ?
    Jim has a recent purchase, maybe a 16 or '17 Trek DS.

The other guys are three amigos too... 2 youger by about 10 years and one older by about 10. Guys I know from work in other departments and most of my ride buddies for the past 15 years are those I know through work.
    We go a bit more longer and adventurous and that's what keeps me humble and scrambling sometimes. These guy are more scheduled so we keep things going and do better at making plans, days of notice etc... For a number of months now, we are weekly either doing a Sat or Sun ride and/or Thurs night rides with the lamps sometimes both.
    It's all been local so far, most parts of Cheyenne Canyon / Stratton, Red Rock O S, Palmer and Ute or the AFA inner loop.
    Brook - 2016 GT karakoram
    John - newer Honzo and a Pugsly
    Joe - couple year old Giant Talon 3
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Co Springs
    I've heard of the Solo Cup , a one person event ?

I hope you place in the top 3 at least !
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    just me and my thoughts on my rides, don't want to slow any one down and hate coordinating meeting up to go ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Now days....me and my bike.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I started a club for antisocial riders who only rode alone. So far I'm the only member.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I started a club for antisocial riders who only rode alone. So far I'm the only member.
    We should hook up...as long as you don't talk too much during ride!
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Occasionally I'll hang with this group...

But, more often than not - I'm riding w/ two other gentlemen. One being in his mid to late 50's, the other just turned 60.

I'm the youngest, just ticked over 45.

Usually we're out on our Enduro rigs. 60 y/o rides a '15 Giant Reign Advanced 1. 55+ y/o rides a NS Snaab. I'm on my '17 Giant Reign 2.

Occasionally we'll bust out the trail bikes. '17 Fuel Ex 8, NS 650b HT & '17 Nukeproof Scout 290 - respectively.

We all enjoy more gravity feed/technical riding.

We enter the odd XC teams event & we're branching into proper Enduro events.

Post ride we have turn about supplying the post ride beverages.

Currently we're trying to inject some new blood into the group i.e. newbies. You forget how slow we all once were.

3 or 4 others have come & gone. Occasionally they'll show their faces again. At it's largest, our group was 6 constant members w/ a couple of add ons.

I'm the slowest uphill & the most flamboyant on the downs. I wish I could say I'm the quickest, but my 55+ y/o compadre is just as quick if not quicker, since we've started more Enduro-ish riding.

Still the most comfortable on jumps etc. others are keeping me honest though o_0

Most guys our age, that I know - that ride... prefer XC/trail riding.

We've all upgraded to full face helmets over the last 3-4 months.

We've all taken semis serious tumbles in the last 12-18 months also.

Great dudes to ride with, who all share a passion for MTB'in.

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

9 lives
    My hubby and I . We ride year round

Sometimes we're joined by one or more riders
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The wife and I, but sometimes my brother.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I was asked to write something about the "Good Old Days" of my late 20's early 30s in Stowe Vt.
    https://mtbvt.com/archives/20873

Now, 10 years down the trail I mostly sneak out for solo rides exclusively on the new local terrain, and take my 7yo out on the local trails as he love his bike and riding trail.

I was talking to mu Dad who is in his late 70s about the divergence of people going into family life vs those who choose not to. To the latter, life never really changes. MTB, and other activities remain the principle motivator and social network for them. They keep riding 3-4 times a week or more, their bikes are upgraded, they travel to ride all over the place.
    Those of us who start a family see a quick priority shift. The old posse rides off into the sunset and I'm hanging (gladly) with my son. Occasionally I'll link up with other Dads and casual riders, it's always a diverse group of fitness, skills, equipment and experience. The rides are sometimes slow, but the social aspect is nice from time to time. Then there's a few of the old crew that will make the trip down here to ride the new stuff we've been building here. The climb crazy fast. Their bikes are all new. They still ride 4+ times a week, and there is no way I can hang with them on the way up. It's bitter sweet. Sometimes I feel a tinge of jealously but it passes quickly. No amount of bro time can come close to watching my son crush a climb for the first time, or hit something he's been too nervous to ride for the first time.
    BITD, personal progression was what drove my to ride all the time. Now watching the boy become a monster on his little rig is the most precious part of my week. I miss the old posse sometimes, by my new posse is true family.
    Silas Storm dropping in to is favorite single track at 5yo. Love that boy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Describe Your Riding Posse-2016-08-29-11.05.30-3.jpg  

Live Free & Ride
    DaveVt hit the nail on the head. In and out of the bro posse and family riding. Most of the time on the trail is either solo or riding with the family, which can't be beat. My 8 year old was a late bloomer on the bike and only became comfortable when he was 6 riding w/out training wheels and now going off-road. My oldest, now 14 has always been a great rider and is now looking to join the Seacoast VeloKids program. His skills are good, but this and riding more will take him to the next level. Nothing really can compare to seeing your family progress and join in on rides from year to year! We also attend races in NH and VT and look to include the boys more with that challenge...but mostly just for fun!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Describe Your Riding Posse-dec-3-black-white.jpg  

14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    08 Bad Boy Ultra
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    This is really cool. It's great to put some substance behind the digital riders on the forum. Boris' group and our group are definitely kindred.

We are "Finman's Middle Ringers". In the days of 3x chainrings, a couple guys always rode in their middle ring and that's how the name started. One of our riders owns a small replacement window company and I replaced a half-moon window in his company logo with a half-chainring and our group of Martians had an identity!

We have a core of 7 riders but have another 6-7 that come on any given Sunday. We have nicknames as well, The Captain, The Enforcer, The Professor, Stella (always complaining about getting into a groove), Dr. R ("R" for Reckless), Pig Pen... The rides are always" epic" as is the ball-busting. The "epic" rides are only outdone by the "epic" Après-ride festivities. Beers, ride recaps, and we even grill burgers and dogs an occasion. Music is also a big part of our festivities and we've had a few dead car batteries after an extremely long session. The comments from riders coming into the parking lot is always complimentary and we welcome them into our circle with a beer and/or a hot dog.

Each September, we take four day biking/camping trip somewhere in the Northeast. We've been to Stowe, Mount Snow, Kingdom Trails, Vietnam (Mass.), just to name a few. These trips are the stuff of legend for us. The planning for the next year's trip usually begins during the current trip. Each year, our Captain has shirts printed up with our logo, our campsite coordinates and our Team Motto: "Roots, Rock and Reggae." The beers flow, the bonfire rages, the music blasts, and we eat like we're going to the electric chair! We have been planning a fall 2019 trip to Moab for some time now, and everything points to this trip being, dare I say, "epic".

We've come together in an unconventional way. Few of us were actually friends before we started riding together. Now we are close as brothers, and would do anything for one another, and that's why we ride.

Thanks for allowing me to share a bit about us.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Describe Your Riding Posse-1.jpg  

Describe Your Riding Posse-3.jpg  

AreBee

slow
    In 33 years of MTB, I have enjoyed the company of numerous groups that would be pretty tight for a few years and then drift apart. They included co-workers at the,ski area, co-workers at various bike shops, customers at my bike shops, the group that used to ride at 4:50am every day, the Thursday night After Sunset Singletrack crew, and other various groups.

Currently I live in a very active cycling community and ride with tons of different folks from different teams and clubs. On any given weekend and most summer evenings there are numerous ride invites and group rides posted on social media. Each group and ride has a different personality and different goals, from social, to sessioning technical sections, to helping newbies learn, to race training. I don't currently have a "posse" and ride alone often, but I count 50-60 different local folks as riding friends who would love to get together for a ride at any time.

Probably the most constant group is our annual Moab crew. I met them 15 years ago when a friend invited me to join them, and every spring one of my Moab trips is with them. They are all guys who at one time worked together for a local tech company. Several of them were going to Moab together for almost 40 years, starting with motorcycles and then changing over to riding mountain bikes there when MTB became a thing. Even though most of us live in the same town, we rarely ride together or see each other between trips, but we all look forward to the annual trip.

mtbr member
    My posse just a bunch of regular guys. Probably similar to everyone else's riding pals:

Tex: He's from Texas. Drives a pickup with a gun rack. Every time someone gets something big (tire size, suspension, etc), Tex always gets something bigger.

Lefty: Missing his right leg. Still crushes people on the hills and never complains.

Stump: He's a midget that rides an XL FS fat bike. Kills it.

Skinny: He's a 350lb clydesdale who breaks everything. Anyone who crosses our path must answer to Skinny. Thinks he's really funny when he shows up for rides wearing nothing but a helmet, shoes, and his birthday suit.

Stinky: hasn't washed his riding gear in years and is proud of it. Chicks dig him.

Grouchy - Yep, you guessed it - he's a retro grouch. Old guys who hates every new technology. Hates fat bikes, slack geometry, flats. He's so bad nowadays that he doesn't even like bikes. Thinks they're cheating. He just runs along in an old worn out spandex body suit and crocs and no bike. Still probably our strongest rider.

mtbr member
    I eschew the word "posse", but the people I ride with are varied.

Lots of my rides are after work for me. I typically get to work between 6:00 and 6:30 AM, so I can ride early afternoons while others are still working. Those days, I ride solo a fair amount. When others can join me, most are anywhere from 5 to 20 years younger than I am and some of them can push the pace. I enjoy those rides.

Weekends, I ride with guys closer to my age (I'm 56), but they tend not to push the pace all that much and don't challenge themselves on the downhills. When they can make it, I like to ride with my sons (27 and 29). If they rode more, they would kick my ass. For now, I still lead out on climbs and wait at the top. They descend faster than I do, so they wait at the bottom.
    One gear is all you need.

mtbr member
    Buncha douchenozzles, but they are my buddies. And we have a good time.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

since 4/10/2009
    I've bounced around a good bit over the years. Going from stretches where I ride mostly solo or with my wife, to finding a good group(s) to ride with, and back to mostly solo again for awhile. Just started a stretch of mostly solo, but fortunately live in an area where many riding friends like to visit at least once a year. Haven't met anyone here just yet with riding goals similar to mine, though my wife's boss is a possibility. Only problem there is that he broke a wrist in a confrontation with bike thieves right before my move, so he's been off the bike ever since. He's starting to get back, so maybe we'll wind up riding together this year.

When I lived in Indiana, it sure seemed like I knew most of the other local riders. It was kinda cool that the community was so close. Even if I went out for a solo ride, more often than not, I'd run into some friends and ride with them for a bit, or hang out post-ride, or both.

I started to build up a solid crew. Some of the "core" group I rode with most went to Sedona last spring, which was cool, except for the fact that none of us were staying anywhere close to the others, so post-ride activities kinda sucked. Now that I've moved out of state, my wife and I have decided that we're going to try to return to Indiana for the big local mtb fest every October. That should make for some fun times. We've got our adventuremobile camper that will work out great for stuff like that. Overall, that crew is pretty big, with lots of little subgroups, and everybody kinda floats between a number of those different subgroups from time to time. I'm one of the chill ones who does less rowdy stuff and less of the ball-busting. I like riding with beginners, folks interested in general sorts of adventure, and a fairly relaxed and encouraging atmosphere. I still ride with the rowdy ball-busting group(s), some of whom get pretty competitive, but I do less of that in general. I mostly don't do rides that are purely hammerfests, but I occasionally ride with people who focus on that stuff when they're interested in a more relaxed ride, and then my ride turns into a hammerfest, while theirs winds up being a recovery ride.

mtbr member
    I have one buddy that I ride with, when he doesn't have 100 excuses to not make it. He got me into riding, and I ride 3x what he does now. Then we have a couple of buddies that join in from time to time.

I did join a new FB group with a bunch of cool people in it, and we ride almost every Sunday. Other than that is pretty much 90% solo.

Cool stories though!
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I take Fvckitol and couldn't be happier!

Magically Delicious
    I'm not to much of a group riding person. When I find my groove, I prefer to just motor and not stop until I'm finished. I have a small group of close friends that I ride with, it's usually only one or two of them at a time. Some of them are the types that like fast flowy stuff, some are serious technical guys, some are serious fast technical guys. Others that just wanna find that groove and go for the duration.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X