Thread: Depressed!!!!

mtbr member

Depressed!!!!

Man, I know I have the ability to do component swaps like I did fifteen years ago, but I have lost my nerve and am now paying for it. After shopping three LBS' I just dropped my bike off at REI for a shifter/front der/rear der swap from Shimano Deore/Alivio to SRAM XO/X9. It wont be ready until the 30th!!!! Everyone else was even busier. Not sure what I am going to do without riding for eight days. I need several bikes like alot of you guys!
    I am in my mid-forties now, and know I could do this work! I am somehow scared to do it now. Any suck-it-up suggestions for next time???

nocturnal oblivion
    Put on yer big boy pants and suck it up next time.

Really though. What are you afraid of? What's the worse that could happen? Invest in a torque wrench and you'll perhaps do a better install than the shop.

The Park Tools site has a ton of how-to's for maintenance and install. In those 8 days you could do extensive research, install the stuff and walk away a smart monkey.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    You've just got to face your fear and give yourself permission to make a mistake. What's the worst case here? Unless you're ham-fisted, the worst case is that you cut a cable housing too short, or something equally trivial.

If you run into difficulty, then post up and ask for help. Mtbr.com. We're open 24x7.

poser Administrator
    Here is the best advice I ever heard: Do it yourself. If you screw it up it won't cost anymore for the LBS to fix it (unless you break something) and it won't take any longer than them doing it from scratch.

But if it does work you go ride now.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    DO IT!

It's easier than ever, with tolerances and specs being tighter then in the old days.
    Being in your 40s you can likely afford a torque wrench--get one and use it. You'll find your work will likely be better than most shop's work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i switched out an xo for an xo and set the adjustment screws in the exact same place and got the cable and housing length right and it worked perfect. I would have been screwed if it didnt cuz i cant make it shift right after it falls out of adjustment, but thats only 15 bucks and a few minutes at the shop rather than weeks and 100$ for full instalation

mtbr member
    I never done a componet swap so ill let the pros do that but everyone seems to be busy here in colorado springs also thanks to that olympic road race that's going on this week. Haha ill join that depressed club because my car broke down and I haven't been able to ride for the last 2 weeks!

Sent from my Droid
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Over the Hill
    Most shops are not hiring "pros" to put bikes together or do repairs.

XLC 33 Piece Tool Kit at JensonUSA.com Spend the money that you would pay the shop and start building up your tools. It is nice to be able to fix things on the trail and help others out that have mechs on the trail. Yes there are tricks to some bike parts but the answers are readily available out there. Post your questions on this site and we will walk you thru the repair.

Dean
    Last edited by dstepper; 08-27-2011 at 08:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Thank you fellas'! I am seriously tempted to go get the bike back and do it myself! I rebuilt shocks and installed headsets and BB's back in the day, but have somehow lost my nerve. I appreciate the thoughtfull, encouraging responses.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Here is the best advice I ever heard: Do it yourself. If you screw it up it won't cost anymore for the LBS to fix it (unless you break something) and it won't take any longer than them doing it from scratch.

But if it does work you go ride now.
    Exactly... which is why I jumped in with both feet and built up my Nine framer myself. If you can turn a wrench, an allen key, and adjust a few thing until they are in tolerance and spec, it's quite easy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    Thank you fellas'! I am seriously tempted to go get the bike back and do it myself! I rebuilt shocks and installed headsets and BB's back in the day, but have somehow lost my nerve. I appreciate the thoughtfull, encouraging responses.
    Dude WTF...You know how to rebuilt Shocks and you are afraid of swap out those components? It's like riding a bike...Just do it !!!!
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If you don't do it yourself you'll be SOL if you need to replace something quick!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Really simple to do, just takes so time. I did the same thing saturday. Put a xt cassette, 9sp deore shifter, 9sp rear derailluer, new cable and chain. I found it easy if u put ur rear der on first adjust ur limit screws to align with the cassette. Place the chain on the smallest cog, run ur cable. Might need to tighten the barrel adjuster on the shifter. This was the first time I did this and I am proud of myself.
    I also have changed a crankset, replaced a bottom bracket, replaced a front shock. If i needed help, I would come to mtbr, youtube, or park tool website.Everything I have done to my bikes I have done at my house. I say GO GET your bike and do it yourself !!

mtbr member
    I don't understand how you become scared to work on a bike if you have done it before

I would suggest doing some automotive repair work, that will make the bike stuff seem easy. I have always just torn into anything no matter what it is, as learned from my dad. Hell, just putting the mid-mount mower deck on my tractor seems more frustrating than just about any work done on my bike, but I can't just go have someone take care of it every time I need to deal with it. Mechanical skills among men seems to be more and more of a dying art. Fixing things yourself can be frustrating at times, but is typically very rewarding. Just do it!!!!

Jacob 34:19
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper View Post
    Most shops are not hiring "pros" to put bikes together or do repairs.

XLC 33 Piece Tool Kit at JensonUSA.com Spend the money that you would pay the shop and start building up your tools. It is nice to be able to fix things on the trail and help others out that have mechs on the trail. Yes there are tricks to some bike parts but the answers are readily available out there. Post your questions on STR and we will walk you thru the repair.

Dean
    Yup. Buy the tools and learn to do it yourself. Far more rewarding. I assembled by last 9 bikes myself. Learning from friends, forums, and youtube videos as I went. I find assembling new bikes, swapping parts, and maintaining my bikes to be another facet of cycling that I really enjoy. Especially when the weather is inclement. Goes very well with beer.

Banned
    Apr 2011
    learn to do it or have more than one passion in your life. I would recommend developing a secondary passion so that if you are ever out of mountain biking for an extended period of time you might be able to continue a different passion.

Me? I ride mountain bikes
    and I crochet.

different? yeah, seems that way. not a whole lot of other riders making a blanket.
    but I can make little tool bags nice and organized for my Camelbak Lobo-as it doesn't really provide good organization.

there's plenty to do

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So GETTOCOP, did you pick up your bike? Do it yourself?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Got something that scares you? Just google it. It seems like there is a video for everything. I just built a wheel that way and it came out fine.

Paste eater
    You don't need a torque wrench to swap out shifters/ders. That's just silly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    I don't even take the chain off.

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    simple... ride a SS...
    ~every end is a new beginning...

mtbr member
    there is no option but to learn to do it yourself is there? i mean if you are on a longer trail or ride & have a mechanical (but not part fail) that skill and understanding might get you home or to safety or to the cooler before beer gets too warm. no problem op you can do it.

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    I have mixed feelings. I have put together about five bikes from scratch. First three were SS. I put together a 1x9, and had trouble with derailleur. I got it, but it took me a few frustrating rides of mis shifting. Next bike, i put it together and took it to LBS and had them do it. Next time, i don't know what i'll do. I guess, practice makes perfect.

mtbr member
    I find that a lot of beer helps calm any nerves and makes working on the bike a little more enjoyable. Some music doesn't hurt either. Maybe if you're real nervous you could get a prescription for Xanax, have a few whiskey sours, and play some Allman Brothers. Not sure how good your bike will come out, but you'll have a good time.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Echoing what others have already said... Take the time to learn how to do it yourself. Each time you do it, it'll just get easier. Pretty soon you'll get to the point where your buddies offer you beer to wrench on their rides. Win, win for everyone!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpityBump View Post
    I don't understand how you become scared to work on a bike if you have done it before

I would suggest doing some automotive repair work, that will make the bike stuff seem easy. I have always just torn into anything no matter what it is, as learned from my dad. Hell, just putting the mid-mount mower deck on my tractor seems more frustrating than just about any work done on my bike, but I can't just go have someone take care of it every time I need to deal with it. Mechanical skills among men seems to be more and more of a dying art. Fixing things yourself can be frustrating at times, but is typically very rewarding. Just do it!!!!
    When I first started digging into my car at age 24, most jobs had me saying "I can't believe I ever paid someone to do this."

As I've gotten into more complicated repairs I now find myself saying "Why the hell am I doing this, I should just pay someone else to do it."

But you are correct, mechanical aptitude seems to be evolving out of most people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav View Post
    When I first started digging into my car at age 24, most jobs had me saying "I can't believe I ever paid someone to do this."

As I've gotten into more complicated repairs I now find myself saying "Why the hell am I doing this, I should just pay someone else to do it."

But you are correct, mechanical aptitude seems to be evolving out of most people.
    I hear you on this one. The most involved I have ever been with my car is changing oil...until I was quoted $900 for full brake/rotor job. $270 and 4 hours of my time and it was done. I can't believe I ever paid someone to change pads

Just do it man. The hardest part will be adjusting the RD which is pretty easy with all the park/youtube vids!

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtBaxter View Post
    I don't even take the chain off.
    Ummmmmmm, how do you do that?

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Pfft... people make fixing bikes out to be way harder and more prescise than it really is. I was a bike mechanic for 6 years. Just be smart about it, know what you are working, how it's built and how it functions with the bike. I installed a headset with a cabinet clamp, block of wood and a hammer a few months ago. I was leary at first but knew it would work, guess what? Hasn't exploded yet LOL. (But I don't recommend that method

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ummmmmmm, how do you do that?
    I find it quicker just to take the back off the cage, put the chain in, and put the cage back on.

Had to do it that way when I worked on my bikes as a kid and didn't have a chain tool, and just kind of kept doing it that way. Dad wasn't about to buy me tools if they weren't really necessary.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtBaxter View Post
    I find it quicker just to take the back off the cage, put the chain in, and put the cage back on.

Had to do it that way when I worked on my bikes as a kid and didn't have a chain tool, and just kind of kept doing it that way. Dad wasn't about to buy me tools if they weren't really necessary.
    That's one way to do it. Or get a quick link.

mtbr member
    That's one way to do it. Or get a quick link.
    quick link fo sho.

i was always afraid of messing with my rear derailleur. id pay $10 or $15 for some bike shop to adjust it. Then i just messed around with it a bit and it was alot easier than i expected. there are youtube videos all over the place about doing that too.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    If you run into difficulty, then post up and ask for help. Mtbr.com. We're open 24x7.
    Indeed, bro... I'm on nightshift! We'll CYA.

Heck, we'll not even tell your wife you bought them!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    The front derailleur and the shifters wouldn't be hard but adjusting the H and L screws to perfection might get you. I would have installed the derailleurs and shifters and then taken it to the shop to fine tune it.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

Over the Hill
    To me adjusting the FD is the toughest part in building up a bike. No I do not build my own wheels.

Dean

Really I am that slow
    ummmm i disagree if its carbon or thin walled alum
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    I would put it together, do the best you can to get everything working properly, then bring it to the bike shop and ask for a tuneup. 1 to 2 days down max.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot View Post
    ummmm i disagree if its carbon or thin walled alum
    True, but probably not the case if the bike came with Alivio.

If the new r. der has a different length cage you may need to shorten the chain (or get a longer one).