mtbr member

dean ace, experience with bearings anyone? [x-post]

I'm wondering if anyone has faced this issue (x-post w/ the other builders board): I'm trying to decide whether to retrofit the main pivot of my Dean Ace. The main pivot on this bike pivots around the BB, using a design they share with Lenz. The BB threads into a smooth shell, which then rotates inside bushings -- originally delrin, now brass (I'm on my third and have overhauled the pivot many times more than that).

The amount of maintenance (or play in the rear triangle) is a drag.

Dean will retrofit the frame to use large cartridge roller bearings for $70 since I'm the original owner. This will take 6-7 weeks (yes I'm familiar with their delivery times).

Can anyone tell me from personal experience whether the bearings last reasonably long and whether they've had a good experience with the set-up generally? Maybe someone who has done the retrofit, or maybe has a newer Dean (Lenz too, though I wonder whether the more flexy ti front triangle might be helping it wear fast) that came with the bearings originally?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Do it!

I had this done to an Ace I used to own. I started out with the plastic then switched to the brass. I think I had some problems with the brass after a while but I can't remember what. I do remember how much better the bearing were. It felt like the suspension was a little more plush do to less friction. I raced and rode for a year with no problems or maintenance issues for a year.

For $70 is it an upgrade you won't regret. Especially if you plan on keeping the Dean for a while.

-Groomer

mtbr member
    I have a 2005 Ace with the newer bearing setup. I have raced the Ace in a number of long events this year. The bearings work well. I would recommend that you have Dean put in the newer bearings. Also, there is a breakin period for the new bearings, about 2 to 3 rides. Also, drip some Philwood Tenacious oil between the Outer BB shell and Swing arm attachment. This will improve the rotation/movement of the BB-area pivot.

i worship Mr T

as the other poster said, do it!

Quote Originally Posted by wunderhorn
    I'm wondering if anyone has faced this issue (x-post w/ the other builders board): I'm trying to decide whether to retrofit the main pivot of my Dean Ace. The main pivot on this bike pivots around the BB, using a design they share with Lenz. The BB threads into a smooth shell, which then rotates inside bushings -- originally delrin, now brass (I'm on my third and have overhauled the pivot many times more than that).

The amount of maintenance (or play in the rear triangle) is a drag.

Dean will retrofit the frame to use large cartridge roller bearings for $70 since I'm the original owner. This will take 6-7 weeks (yes I'm familiar with their delivery times).

Can anyone tell me from personal experience whether the bearings last reasonably long and whether they've had a good experience with the set-up generally? Maybe someone who has done the retrofit, or maybe has a newer Dean (Lenz too, though I wonder whether the more flexy ti front triangle might be helping it wear fast) that came with the bearings originally?

Thanks!
    i sold my Ace 3.0 frame before retrofitting, so i can't comment on the quality of the bearings, but nothing can be worse than the constant squeel and endless maintenance of that brass bushing. i have very un-fond memories of the maintenance required to keep that bushing functioning properly.

personally, i think that Dean should do the upgrade for free since the problem is the result of a design issue, but no one asked me what i think. as such, $70 is not an unreasonable price to pay to reduce the maintenance required to keep the bike running smoothly.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    i sold my Ace 3.0 frame before retrofitting, so i can't comment on the quality of the bearings, but nothing can be worse than the constant squeel and endless maintenance of that brass bushing. i have very un-fond memories of the maintenance required to keep that bushing functioning properly.

personally, i think that Dean should do the upgrade for free since the problem is the result of a design issue, but no one asked me what i think. as such, $70 is not an unreasonable price to pay to reduce the maintenance required to keep the bike running smoothly.

rt
    I was hoping you'd reply, *rt*. I remember seeing that you had the same bike, and then you didn't. "Bushings" I thought/grumbled to myself. But good reasons not to go public on the boards about 'em.

The delrin bushing was the worst. The brass ones I can live with more. If I lived in Colorado I'd probably just get a third brass bushing, etc. Dean has been great about replacing those (for free, just drop the bike off for the day) while I've been passing through Colorado. They even put a new, lighter swingarm on for free.

And I'm really happy folks have replied that the bearings work for them. That's good news. We'll see, though, in the back of my mind I'm thinking this FS experiment was fun, I get it, but I'm going back to hardtails. Enough already.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderhorn
    I was hoping you'd reply, *rt*. I remember seeing that you had the same bike, and then you didn't. "Bushings" I thought/grumbled to myself. But good reasons not to go public on the boards about 'em.

The delrin bushing was the worst. The brass ones I can live with more. If I lived in Colorado I'd probably just get a third brass bushing, etc. Dean has been great about replacing those (for free, just drop the bike off for the day) while I've been passing through Colorado. They even put a new, lighter swingarm on for free.

And I'm really happy folks have replied that the bearings work for them. That's good news. We'll see, though, in the back of my mind I'm thinking this FS experiment was fun, I get it, but I'm going back to hardtails. Enough already.
    that bushing was h3ll in wet conditions since there was no way to completely seal the system. i found i had to pull the whole thing apart after just about every ride i did or the squealing and vibration would kill me on the next ride. unfortunatley i didn't pass through CO often enough to take advantage of dropping my bike off and i found Dean tough to deal with over the phone.

the bushing issue was a pain but the real reason i sold the frame was because of fit.....it didn't! the frame was custom but never fit me properly and after a year of tweaking and tweaking and fit after fit i finally gave up and sold it to someone who would appreciate it more than i did.

however, if you're happy with the fit & ride i'd go for retro-fitting the bushings and enjoy a new maintenance free bike! (ok, maybe not completely maintenance free )

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]