Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Darn road bikes!

29K views 181 replies 114 participants last post by  bradkay 
#1 ·
I borrowed a Carbon road bike (Giant TCR2) to cruise around the lake with some work friends. I didn't think my commuter was up to the task. Now I have the bug.... something about cruising at an avg speed of 22 mph for 40 mins. and not considering a 15mph north wind as much of an obstacle. Not that I would give up singletracks... but the budget doesn't exist.:madman:

#100 ·
I don't get the reference, but my friend chugged along behing a recumbent holding 31mph the other day on the american river bike trail. Said the big recumbent was nice to draft behind haha! My friend is a pretty strong rider though. And obviously, drafting / group riding is alot easier in regards to going faster. That said, my hardtail can hold about 19mph for an hour or two out there with cx tires :)

My road bike cracked a few months ago :(

#102 ·
I initially got a road bike to work on my endurance for MTBing (as stated before).
But, it was always much easier for me to RB than to MTB, so it got most my attention until finally, I went full roadie.

However, I never got the MTBer out of me. When I go to my place out in West Virginia, all I do/think about is MTBing.
I guess I'm just an opportunist cyclist that will appreciate whatever is most readily available to me at any given time.

I love both now. Like my old thread said, I "swing both ways".

:D

BTW...RBing really did a lot to help me out on the trails.
My first time on a trail after RBing I was awesome (when compared to my pre-RB riding).
I didn't have to take break like I used to AND when I got back on the RB after MTBing,
I was better there. MTBing definitely made me a much stronger RBer.
RBing made me a much more consistent MTBer.
I think the two really compliment each other.

I love climbing on trails and when I rode with my road buddy, I'd do a little better than him
on the road climbs (and he's an amateur racer), but of course, he'd take me on the flat runs.

I gave him someone to chase on the climbs and he gave me someone to chase on the flats and we both grew stronger where we were once weaker.

#106 ·
IAmtnbikr said:
That is sexy as all hell!

I was going to pick up a Cannondale hardtail MTB because they have a matching BBQ paint scheme,
but I managed to get my old Opie back which will be in the LBS this weekend and resurrected.
It too has that beautiful Matte Black finish. Was planning to post a "twins"-like pic myself.

You beat me to it...well done!

Very nice.

#109 ·
Road biking took me from a weekend warrior MTB rider weighing 195# with a 36" waist to an endurance road and MTB rider and sometime racer hack weighing 165# with a 32" waist. I did 106 miles on Tuesday and doing around 100 miles tomorrow morning. I now go through phases, some more MTB some more road. Great fun a road bike, just in a different way than MTBing.

#111 ·
On a lot of my rides, I do 50/50 road/trail on my CX bike. What keeps me more on the trail than on the road comes down to one issue - CARS.

I hate riding among cars. You can be lit up like the Fourth of July and still get hit. I've already been hit by a car, and after that my road riding calmed down a whole lot. Sucks because road riding does provide great fitness training and extended climbing that MTB'ing doesn't always have.

#115 ·
redmr2_man said:
Did you read that I said you get "some" riders that can hold 25-30mph?
Yea, those folks are called gold medalists in most amateur (meaning non-pro) races and for a reason too. :thumbsup:

Unless of course "hold" here doesn't mean a duration like an hour but like 20 minutes which in itself will very often win you a race if you put that 30mph down for the final part of the race as a solo breakaway.

Unless of course we are talking professional racing.

#117 · (Edited)
Little update...
I just finished my CAAD9 build. Went from 20.10lbs to 15.65lbs. $3,500. total.

OEM with Ultegra crankset & Fizik Saddle.

Current...

My GF rocks. She's an artist.
I asked her to make my fork prettier and she did. :D

Before:

After:

______________________________________________________________________________________

Before:

After:

______________________________________________________________________________________

Before:

After:

Upgrades:
-Ultegra SL Double Crank
-Dura Ace 7800 Bottom Bracket
-Dura Ace 7800 Chainrings (53T/39T)
-Dura Ace 7800 Front Derailleur
-Dura Ace 7800 Rear Derailleur
-Dura Ace 7800 Shifters
-Dura Ace 7801 Chain
-Ultegra 6600 Cassette
-Dura Ace 7900 Pedals
-Ultralight CNC Brakes
-SwissStop GHP2 (Green) Brake Pads

Cockpit:
-Bontrager XXX Race Lite OS Stem
-FSA K-Wing Compact 44cm
-Fizik MicroTex Tape & Gel
-Fizik Aliante w/Carbon Rails
-Fizik Cyrano Seatpost (Carbon)
-Edge Composites 1.0 Fork

Wheels:
-Continental Grand Prix 4000S Tires
-Continental Race Lite Tubes
-2011 Mavic Ksyrium Elite
-KCNC Ti Skewers

Accessories:[
-Radbot 1000 Tail Light
-ViewPoint Flare 5 Headlight
-Camelbak Podium Ice Bottles
-Arundel Mandible Bottle Cages
-Kurt Kinetic Wireless Computer

#119 · (Edited)
Hold on please, something is seriously wrong here ... with the concept of road and cross training!

On a MTB site, this is road! A smooth flat one.

... and this is also road. A smooth hilly one.

... and this is cross training. Where you combine the flat roads with the hilly ones and add a few rougher bits.

Some might think that poncing around in clown suits on tarmac bikes is 'gay style'. But I cant possibly say, because I try to keep away from that kind of thing.

I hope this helps.

Warren.

#122 ·
i've almost given in to buying a road bike twice in my life.

I quickly lose my enthusiasm for them when i realize i can't jump off curbs with them. :mad: yeah i know some guys out there can, but not with my mad skillz.

the only reason why i wanted one was so i can cross train. then i realize i get more resistance with my knobbies on the road then having skinny tires... therefore.. more effort and more training! :thumbsup:

#123 ·
I too picked up a road bike after thinking I never would. When I bought it, I told the shop owner I would never become a 'roadie' - that was two years ago, and I am true to my word. I don't care about drafting, average speed, heart rate, elevation etc. I've ridden with full blown roadies and they annoy the hell out of me. I have done some organized rides (not races) and in general the roadies don't like me. I show up in board shorts and a T-shirt, cranking Iron Maiden & wearing a camelback with mtn bike shoes & drink beer after the ride. They poke fun at me & tell me to upgrade my equipment etc., but bottom line is I am usually passing them during the ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.